Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Micko P-47: build

Old 08-12-2013, 05:30 AM
Jmik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Jeff...I hear what you're saying on schlepping around these larger models. I'm in the same situation....could use a decent trailer to haul my stuff.
Nice to hear you're back on the sticks....love to see any pics/video you get!

And Casey....that Jug of yours has already seen more of the world than I ever will...

....hope to hear some good news from Hawaii real soon!

ToJ
Old 08-13-2013, 02:40 PM
jmohn

I wish there was an inexpensive small trailer that I could use for planes. There are some light ones for stuff, but they want like $2,500+ for them and that's just too much. I don't want a big utility trailer as I would like to get the think in my garage. Oh well... keep looking for one that's used and maybe will get lucky.

I got two nice flights on the P-47 last weekend and only used 1/2 throttle the whole time. I only used 40% of my battery after 6 minutes too. The plane has so much power too! I am swinging a 25-12 prop now to get the best amp draw from the batteries. At full throttle I am pulling 118 amps and pulling much harder than my DA-50 pulls

She is a real joy to fly too and take off and landings are very easy. Loving It !!!!!

Jeff
Old 08-13-2013, 04:40 PM
Jmik

Very glad to hear you're happy with your Jug there Jeffrey....but didn't you say you were going to take some video?

I've always felt that the P-47 was one of the best flying warbirds to model....such a nice, wide stance on the landing gear, makes for much easier ground handling. And that big, old wing has a LOT of lift! Sure sounds like you've got the power equation right where you want it.

Hey, Casey....did that container ever show up? !
Old 08-13-2013, 10:36 PM
glazier808
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes Sir it did! Everything made it without a scratch(13 planes total, 9 giant scale)

Now to just dig out all the tools get everything set back up so I can get back to work! I can't wait to get the chance to perhaps fly at Ford Island! I have a contact but have not had the time yet. I bet you never figured one of your Jugs would be maidening from there! A little brisk with breezes over 23 mph today.... About normal lol

Hey Jeff(Jmohn) If I may ask, where did you set your CG , and what was your final weight? I'm running an AXI 5345/14 on 10cells (5000 MaH 65c) thunder power. Adjustable 20" 4 blade. Castle Creations HV160 ESC.

thanks

Casey

Last edited by glazier808; 08-13-2013 at 10:40 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:43 AM
jmohn

Jeff,

My cameraman was talking too much and forgot to film me in flight. I got his plane (Ziroli Corsair) on camera for it's maiden flight so he's fired.

Casey,

My CG is where they recommended it for the Yellow P-47 .. can't remember the measurement, but will set if I can find it for you. The AUW is 28 lbs.

I have the Rotomax 50 cc motor on 2 x 6S pack (in series 12S) 8000 mah packs swinging a 25-12 prop. I want to get a four blade prop eventually but so much $.

Jeff
Old 08-28-2013, 07:18 AM
jmohn

Here's a short video of the last electric flight of my plane: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAxLm...m-upload_owner

The landing was a dead stick as the pattern was full and I couldn't get down before my batteries ran out. Only minor damage to the chin of the cowl. Have changed engine to my DA-50 so I can get longer flights.

Jeff
Old 08-28-2013, 07:32 AM
Jmik

Thanks for the link, Jeff....look forward to seeing how the new engine makes her perform!

Jeff
Old 08-28-2013, 09:13 PM
glazier808
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice!

casey
Old 09-09-2013, 07:15 AM
jmohn

Finally .... installed the DA-50 in the plane and it's GREAT !

Lots of power and 20 minute flights (can go more too). Very happy with the setup and got several nice flights in this weekend.

Loving this setup and done with electric on planes this large now.

Jeff
Old 09-09-2013, 07:24 AM
Jmik

Great Jeff...glad to hear you're getting to enjoy longer flight times with the DA-50...

Curious...how much extra weight did you need to add to maintain the CG?

Any more videos with the new setup?

Jeff
Old 09-09-2013, 09:32 AM
jmohn

Jeff,

I added about 1.5 lbs to get the CG right. I think mostly because that motor is so light compared to a Zenoah or DL.

I think there was some video of the flights on Saturday (Warbirds over Livermore) and I will try and get it posted. If not I think there will be
many more flights we can get some good video as it's so great to fly now

Much funner knowing that you don't have to worry about landing after a few minutes in the air. Still learning how to slow her down on landings but easy to land and take off.
I have been keeping the landing speeds up to be safe and didn't have any head wind last weekend so they were a little faster than I would have liked. I did land
much better than the other warbirds out there of similar size and weight though... so that's good.

Great plane Jeff ! Can't wait for the P-51B

Jeff
Old 09-09-2013, 10:09 AM
Jmik

Thanks, Jeff..appreciate the comments! I know what you mean about the flight characteristics of the Jug, it's just a great design with that big wing and wide gear stance...makes ground handling about as easy as it gets for a tail dragging WW2 warbird. Have you tried landing with full flaps yet? Those suckers are huge, and they slow it down considerably!

I did talk with Jeff Q about his work on the B model, and hopefully we can have something to fly next summer.

Jeff
Old 09-09-2013, 02:40 PM
jmohn

Jeff,

I have been landing full flaps and it slows down well, but still fast without a head wind for our field.

Jeff
Old 09-12-2013, 02:16 PM
jmohn

Some new photos of the plane with a DA-50 now

Old 09-12-2013, 02:18 PM
jmohn

Default Photos

Hope this works better: