Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Flite-skin Spitfire questions

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Flite-skin Spitfire questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 01:54 PM
Mk23socom
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flite-skin Spitfire questions

As a TRUERC modeler, Iam always looking ahead to the next project.. I have cruised many sites and have seen many fantastic airplanes. Icurrently have waiting for me to start a Meister P-47. This is shaping up to be a pricey number of a ship but Iam very happy with my choices. That being said, I am looking for something a tad less financially stiff and that will be close in size to the Aeroworks P-51 my dad and flyin buddy has so we can fly them together and have it look nice. Ihave looked at the Flite-skin Spitty as a very attractive choice as a purchase either late this fall or early next year. Iwas wondering what kind of information anyone had on what kind of kit it is, quality of both glass fuse and wood parts as well as the overall construction process. any and all information, both good and bad, is greatly appreciated..
Old 02-12-2011, 06:11 PM
glazier808
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Flite-skin Spitfire questions

Kirby,

I purchased one from Jose...

You can't go wrong, in my opinion. Vic does a wonderful job with the fuse, you'll love it! I going for a MK IX, all electric, Benedini sound, Sierra retracts.

I have to finish my Fliteskin 109 first...

Casey
Old 02-13-2011, 04:26 PM
Mk23socom

Those are certainly encouraging words, thank you.. How is the build up??.. any instructions??
Old 02-13-2011, 05:08 PM
glazier808

Kirby,

Well as I've not started the build, I can't speak from my own experience, but as I see it... This is a builders dream. You get a nice set of plans, and laser cut wing kit from Bob Holman. The plans are quite detailed but just plans.

So no instructions, but several great builds to follow!

POC

"piece o cake" lol

Don't get scared off, you start with a beautiful fuse, are given great plans to go by that show all formers ect

In reality...a top flight kit can be just as involved and more complex.

Most builds stress keeping the weights down aft of the cg, as usual. Do a search on YouTube for electric Brian Taylor spits. There are some beauties out there.

Casey
Old 02-13-2011, 07:44 PM
Mk23socom

I can deal without instructions if the plans are good.. I think I will put this on my list.. I will also look around for some build threads to see how other guys went about their business of assembling the stuff.. I really like the look of this kit and I think it will look great sittin next to my dads Aeroworks P-51.. a couple of graceful looking craft
Old 02-13-2011, 07:49 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mk23socom
I can deal without instructions if the plans are good.. I think I will put this on my list.. I will also look around for some build threads to see how other guys went about their business of assembling the stuff.. I really like the look of this kit and I think it will look great sittin next to my dads Aeroworks P-51.. a couple of graceful looking craft
Check out the Brian Taylor forum over at RC Scale Builder for a variety of build threads on this kit. I don't think you will be disappointed if you decide to purchase. (I've had two of 'em)
Old 02-13-2011, 08:21 PM
Mk23socom

Chad, I am a bit confused. Is the BT kit the same as the fliteskin?? At a quick glance they dont appear to be.. correct me if I am wrong and pardon my ignorance.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:45 PM
glazier808

The fuse is taken from a Brian Taylor built spitfire, a thing of beauty...

Casey
Old 02-13-2011, 08:47 PM
glazier808

Tomorrow I'll dig out everything and post a shot

Casey
Old 02-13-2011, 10:22 PM
Mk23socom

At your leisure Casey, please.. Thank you!
Old 02-13-2011, 11:13 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mk23socom

Chad, I am a bit confused. Is the BT kit the same as the fliteskin?? At a quick glance they dont appear to be.. correct me if I am wrong and pardon my ignorance.
The fiberglass fuselage and accessories were designed to go with the Taylor wing and tail surfaces.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:50 AM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

I'm curioius too. I thought that the fuse was made by Vic at VicRC and the plans and wood kit were from Holman, and were Brian Taylor. My assumption is that Fliteskin was merely marketing the package. Do I have this right or can someone correct me?
Thanks
sam
Old 02-14-2011, 05:57 AM
glazier808

You have it correct! One stop shopping so to speak. Although Jose designs his own planes, he has packaged the BT spit with a beautiful fuse from Vic, sweet gear from Darrell, and some extras such as a cockpit kit(very nicely done)

Saves you time and shipping cost to get it all from one source.

Casey
Old 02-14-2011, 06:04 AM
glazier808

Mk23socom,

I just wanted to add that I think it's cool as heck you have you dad as your flyn buddy.

Your a lucky man, and I'm sure you make your pops proud!

Casey
Old 02-14-2011, 06:09 AM
DaddySam

Thanks Casey. I think Jose has put together a great series of aircraft and a good package with the BT/VicRc Spit. I'm drooling over the 109, as I will have Hurricanes and Spitfires but no opponent! Keep up your great build and I'll be watching.
Sam
Old 02-14-2011, 06:19 AM
glazier808

Thanks Sam, Jose gives you so mush to start with in his 109. Although some methods may differ from other builds, due to the use of Fliteskin, I would not say it's a difficult build. Let me tell ya, once you've worked with the Fliteskin material, you'll be looking for all kinds of uses for it. I think it's great stuff for sure!

Casey

And thanks to you for the kind words on my build, I've been out burning the midnight oil and will have plenty to post soon, as I'm preparing to be at Castle with the Me109F in May
Old 02-14-2011, 08:36 AM
Mk23socom

ORIGINAL: glazier808

Mk23socom,

I just wanted to add that I think it's cool as heck you have you dad as your flyn buddy.

Your a lucky man, and I'm sure you make your pops proud!

Casey
I'm very lucky! Thank you for the acknowledgement, not many guys in the hobby have their pops as their formation partner.. By standards I am still wet behind the years at 28 years old and he is 55 so he has many years of stick time left in him, but we are both a couple of little kids at heart. He got me into the hobby and got me into warbirds. We like to have aircraft that compliment eachother so it makes sense to me that I build a Spitty to go up with his P-51.. I am also intrigued with the use of Fliteskin. It looks just friggin fantastic and takes alot of the headache out of things, my only concern is the price of the material.. while not terribly expensive, I wonder how many sheets a guy has to buy in order to fully sheet out a wing and tail feathers and such.

Now that I have a grasp on who makes what and the specifics.. Isuppose Ican look up Scale Builder and check out the BT Spits.. Inoticed they range in the 80-90" range.. are these all the same thing Iam looking at?.. If not, I imagine they are not too different in assembly.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:39 AM
Moggy

I think you would be interested in the 1/5.5 builds which come out to 83 inch wingspans. BTW, I have used flite skin and I'm sold on it. There are millions of uses and it is very easy to work with, saves a lot of time too. I didn't know Jose offered the BT spit as a kit (one stop shopping) as I have been buying everything separately. Maybe that's half of the fun. Good luck with your build.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:27 PM
Mk23socom

Thanks Mog, like I said before, I have a Meister P-47 to start this late summer but I want to probably get this sometime late fall or maybe in the wintertime so that I can have most of the things I need when I start it up.. who knows.. something always comes up to screw a guy's plans up!!