Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

The Cost of Running a War........

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

The Cost of Running a War........

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 06:45 AM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
Default RE: The Cost of Running a War........

ORIGINAL: alanc

My thanks to ever put that little list together very sobering, and with the amount of material involved, it just shows to me what my father said is true, there is only 1 winner in war, the scrapman, and you know, he was right terrible waste of men who should have been free to enjoy life

If those men hadn't given their lives they wouldn't have been free to enjoy life.

I see a common theme here.

What about the price the world would be paying still today had that price not been paid then?

I think it is a drop in the bucket compared to the alternative, let's not lose sight of that any time there is a war.

As long as humanity are imperfect, war will be inevitable.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:54 AM
Oberst
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: CowboyLifesaver

ORIGINAL: alanc

My thanks to ever put that little list together very sobering, and with the amount of material involved, it just shows to me what my father said is true, there is only 1 winner in war, the scrapman, and you know, he was right terrible waste of men who should have been free to enjoy life

If those men hadn't given their lives they wouldn't have been free to enjoy life.

I see a common theme here.

What about the price the world would be paying still today had that price not been paid then?

I think it is a drop in the bucket compared to the alternative, let's not lose sight of that any time there is a war.

As long as humanity are imperfect, war will be inevitable.

The " What if " is the thing we won't ever know.

Pete
Old 02-16-2011, 07:15 AM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: ram3500-RCU

I would have gladly taken slower advancement in aviation technology, exploration, and such, to have those lives back. How do we know that some of those casualties were not the inventors and creators of these very things? We know they were, and would have had much to offer.

I just find it personally hard to find any way to say war on any level is a good thing. It always brings out the worst in some people.
I said this in not so many words in another thread and got called an idiot.
Opinions vary, and emotion is involved. I try not to let what other people think bother me or sway my convictions. I build and fly war birds (and others types of coarse) but in no way do I think war itself is glorious or desirable. I would rather have seen these wonderful flying machines developed to prevent war, in a cold war sorta way, never having been used for death and destruction.

My father-in-law shares my feelings. He jumped out of a C47 into Korea, one month later was captured, and spent 3 years in their torturous prison camps. I think he was one of only three in his barracks that survived. It was a couple decades before he would even talk about it, other than in his sleep. He is 80 now.

Mankind needs to find a better way, is all I'm saying. We are smarter than this.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:47 AM
Experten109/40
My Feedback: (-1)

listen, every livingthing on this planet goes to 'war". probably every living thing in this universe does too.
fantasies of a peaceful co-existance is a dream. period. bleeding heart liberals have that love and peace
in the world mentality. that way of thinking will get one killed. its in our nature to kill. to conqoure, & to
explore. then do it all over again. even in peace time you must prepare for war. whether its domestic or
foriegn threats.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:08 AM
Mk23socom
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: Experten109/40

listen, every livingthing on this planet goes to 'war". probably every living thing in this universe does too.
fantasies of a peaceful co-existance is a dream. period. bleeding heart liberals have that love and peace
in the world mentality. that way of thinking will get one killed. its in our nature to kill. to conqoure, & to
explore. then do it all over again. even in peace time you must prepare for war. whether its domestic or
foriegn threats.
I agree with this Mr 109. Ihave always believed, and always will, "to secure peace is to prepare for war.". Somebody always wants what you have, or at the very least, doesnt want you to have it because they dont. Squabbles over territory will always be, for crying out loud I watched two cats in a series of pictures fighting over a spot on the carpet that had catnip spilled on it. The North American continent is absolutely rich in all kinds of natural resources from oil and coal to precious heavy metals and timber. To say that those other countries out there dont want what we have is complete bunk. They want what we have, but they know the price to pay to have our resources is too great to warrant any action.. so instead their leaders have made deals with ours so that we are selling all of our stuff overseas.. slowly hamstringing ourselves..

Old 02-16-2011, 09:09 AM
ram3500-RCU

listen, every living thing on this planet goes to 'war''. probably every living thing in this universe does too.
foriegn threats.
I think that is what I said, is it not? "Cold War".
Old 02-16-2011, 09:12 AM
Mk23socom
My Feedback: (7)

listen, every livingthing on this planet goes to 'war''. probably every living thing in this universe does too.
foriegn threats.
I think that is what I said, is it not? "Cold War".
Indeed Gary!!

Old 02-16-2011, 09:18 AM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: Whistling Death

I would have gladly taken slower advancement in aviation technology, exploration, and such, to have those lives back. How do we know that some of those casualties were not the inventors and creators of these very things? We know they were, and would have had much to offer.

I just find it personally hard to find any way to say war on any level is a good thing. It always brings out the worst in some people.
I said this in not so many words in another thread and got called an idiot.
Opinions vary, and emotion is involved. I try not to let what other people think bother me or sway my convictions. I build and fly war birds (and others types of coarse) but in no way do I think war itself is glorious or desirable. I would rather have seen these wonderful flying machines developed to prevent war, in a cold war sorta way, never having been used for death and destruction.

My father-in-law shares my feelings. He jumped out of a C47 into Korea, one month later was captured, and spent 3 years in their torturous prison camps. I think he was one of only three in his barracks that survived. It was a couple decades before he would even talk about it, other than in his sleep. He is 80 now.

Mankind needs to find a better way, is all I'm saying. We are smarter than this.

Sorry, I have little faith in mankind. I don't think mankind is smart enough, people are pretty stupid as a whole.

ORIGINAL:Experten109/40
listen, every living thing on this planet goes to 'war". probably every living thing in this universe does too.
foriegn threats.

Honorable Men avoid War at all costs, and only go to war when there is no choice. I like you to tell the Swiss that everything goes to War, again I agree with the statement you haven't seen the worst of Man or you wouldn't be writing such young comments.

I'm a Reagan Conservitive and a member of the Tea Party here in the United States and my who family seen War in its worst. My Dad and Uncles fought so I wouldn't have to see War. So far I was lucky enough. I have a sence of human value, and I don't like killing or be put in situations that people want to kill me.

Patriotism goes right out the door, and saving ones arse becomes more important in battle. Both sides of a conflict always feel they are in the right. Anyone who says that they're not afraid of war are liars, or very nieave.

Kill or be killed is an awful way of living ones life.

Pete
Old 02-16-2011, 09:49 AM
Experten109/40
My Feedback: (-1)

the swiss were too busy handying Germans over to the russians so they wouldn't become a sattelite state.
fricken cowards.

so your saying I havn't seen the worst in life? really.. I seen a guy walk up to another guy at the BAR pull out
a gun a blow the back ofthe other guyshead off.. so yah, I seen the worst.

also seen the worst in Cyprus. Damn muslim turks have zero problems pointing a 47 at anybody in a
uniform.

I like President Reagan & the Tea Party too.. I voted PC up here. our PM hates Obama by the way LOL.

my young comments eh? lol. so what? I have to be 90 and never served a day for my comments to be
valid? get real...

kill or be killed, well that what those terroists are trying to do to us. I like to be prepared. well in their case
they kill themselves to kill us. or did you miss what happened on 9/11?
Old 02-16-2011, 10:46 AM
Oberst
Banned

Wow! Look at all the people in the Lurker Room eating popcorn! LOL

Pete
Old 02-16-2011, 01:25 PM
Gooseman240

Chalk me up, where is the popcorn?... no comment other than great historical reference that started this discussion. Always was curious of the numbers of hardware pushed out compared to others.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:26 PM
Whistling Death

Every time I start to feel like a warhawk I look at my 20 year old son and suddenly that thought is gone.
Just because someone wants to avoid war doesn't make them a liberal.
In some cases it makes them wise.

Anyway this thread is spiraling off topic.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:31 PM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: Gooseman240

Chalk me up, where is the popcorn?... no comment other than great historical reference that started this discussion. Always was curious of the numbers of hardware pushed out compared to others.

Kind of makes you stop and think don't it?

Whistling Death

Every time I start to feel like a warhawk I look at my 20 year old son and suddenly that thought is gone.
Just because someone wants to avoid war doesn't make them a liberal.
In some cases it makes them wise.

Anyway this thread is spiraling off topic.

Well said. I guess I was the guilty one in getting the Thread off track, I shouldn't have gotten so thin skinned.

Pete
Old 02-16-2011, 05:28 PM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: Oberst

Wow! Look at all the people in the Lurker Room eating popcorn! LOL

Pete
You absolutely made me LOL!!!!! How do you do this ?
Old 02-19-2011, 01:25 AM
BOLTMAN
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys,

When I posted this I did not intend to start any arguments, only to share some fascinating info regarding the cost and numbers of machines involved.

I am sure that you would all agree that the human cost was nothing short of horiffic.

Cheers

Mick
Old 02-19-2011, 09:54 AM
David Bathe

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

It has taken on a slightly different angle from the original thread start... but that only reflects that folks, from all walks of life (certainly me) are startin' to wake up. People are become a great deal more geo-politically aware about these wars and conflicts our leaders are SO KEEN to incourage. 
You don't see the Chinese carrying out war games of the coast of the UK or USA. You don't see the Russian building missile defences alone the NATO boarders. You don't see the middle Eastern countries financing, assisting and enabling regime changes in our countries. 
The old saying, if you go looking for trouble, you'll find it. If if not, then make some! 
As somebody once said: "in global politics there are no accidents. All the accidents turn out exactly the way we planned them." 
Jez'... and these are our leaders. Makes you wonder.
No, unless you have shares in a supplier to the arms industry, war sux. 
And that's from somebody that draws war planes.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:06 AM
ram3500-RCU

I think we can tend to disconnect from the reality of it all, when we love the hardware as we do.

Even WWII pilots will say, during interviews, that it was plane against plane, till they actually saw an enemy pilot eject or were close enough to see them struggle to get out, as some were. They will say that those images never go away.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:14 AM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Daviid, what you are saying or implyiing iis not truelly correct. War is a bad thing and right now no matter what anyone says or how much we sing kumby ya my Lord....there will be conflict and different ways to resole them with war not even being the ultimate or final solution it seems. Wars have for the most part been wars of Ideology and politics. When you imply that the free world (USA) is out looking for trouble I say your 50% correct. There are others doing just the same. china is not th einnocent bystander you paiint them to be. Saber rattleing doesnt always show up as gun boat diplomacy. There is economical attacks and threats, cyber threats and attacks. You have the borderless religious aspects of this world that threaten yours and my freedom. I gather that you would just say sit back and become isolationists again. We tried that and we were dragged into 2 world wars. The woorld is one big borderless society....as can be seen with rcuniverse with the free exchange of ideas, thoughts and freedoms. Look what facebook has done in its short life. I really dont know what Ia m trying to say but as long as there are people there willbe war. Are you willing to give up your car and the gas and oil that is required to keep it and society going? that is what makes theworld go around and that seems to be where our conflicts reside. We are all apart of the problem.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:18 AM
Johnnie Red

ORIGINAL: David Bathe

It has taken on a slightly different angle from the original thread start... but that only reflects that folks, from all walks of life (certainly me) are startin' to wake up. People are become a great deal more geo-politically aware about these wars and conflicts our leaders are SO KEEN to incourage.
You don't see the Chinese carrying out war games of the coast of the UK or USA. You don't see the Russian building missile defences alone the NATO boarders. You don't see the middle Eastern countries financing, assisting and enabling regime changes in our countries.
The old saying, if you go looking for trouble, you'll find it. If if not, then make some!
As somebody once said: ''in global politics there are no accidents. All the accidents turn out exactly the way we planned them.''
Jez'... and these are our leaders. Makes you wonder.
No, unless you have shares in a supplier to the arms industry, war sux.
And that's from somebody that draws war planes.

Hey David Bathe

I think that you are right to the core!!!

For the ones that care to expand their perspectives....Check Zeitgeist 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dmPchuXIXQ

and for the ones that have watched this there is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gKX9...eature=related

I think that we all must wake up and see what somepeople are doing to the rest . And this didn't start today or yesterday.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:18 PM
David Bathe

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

' Red there is just so much of it out there... thank goodness for the internet, independent news sources and citizen journalism.
And people should listen to you... you're Greek... now with the All-Loving-IMF helping you out. Yikes!
As the Egyptian thing was just starting to kick off... Good old Hans Kinssinger said: "This is just the beginning of a series of events that are going to unfold in the middle East." Hello... the beginning of a series of events that are going to unfold! Look at the situation now. 
Are we absolutely sure these people are acting in our best interests?
Old 02-19-2011, 01:54 PM
hellcat56
My Feedback: (21)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 02-20-2011, 05:54 AM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ever read SLEDGE PATROL? BY DAVID HOWARTH , its about the germans going into greenland and a band of greenlanders
trying to get them out