Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

EasyTiger B-17 EPO Memphis Belle: WOW!

Old 07-01-2011, 07:12 PM
Experten109/40
My Feedback: (-1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: EasyTiger B-17 EPO Memphis Belle: WOW!

ORIGINAL: CorsairJock

Been working on getting mine ready for missions on the 4th of July.

PROBLEM: can't get the rudder wire to seat in the plastic housing (below the stab). The fin isn't attached permanantly yet, I keep pulling it off and trying again with no success. If I can't get it soon, I may just try to fly it without functional rudder.
I wouldn't! if you lose an aileron, you'll be glad you had a rudder. if by chance you lose both ailerons, you'll be really glad you
have the rudder. can you post pics of the problem?
Old 07-02-2011, 02:45 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Full scale B-17s 'made it back home' with the rudder completely shot off, and a good portion of the fin gone too!

I'll post pics as soon as my batteries get charged up.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:09 AM
CorsairJock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I MAY have found the problem: the tiller post on the rudder goes thru a plastic/ nylon/ whatever clear tube piece to act as a bearing/ guide. It had become loose in the bottom of the fin (appeared to have been glued there, originally), allowing the tiller post to move freely from side to side (and not in site), thereby allowing the post to go alongside the plastic guide in the fuselage (black piece, in second pic), rather than in it.

I have applied some glue to the tubing, locking it in place in the center of the fin, and I will try again when the glue dries
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95648.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	1630417   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74779.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	1630418  
Old 10-14-2011, 05:23 AM
CorsairJock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wanted to post an update on mine.

ISSUES:
Biggest problem is the main gear retracts: they kept breaking away (wood mounts and all) from the wing, even on the best, smoothest landings. The good news is that common CA works, does not disolve the foam. But there just wasn'r enough of a foam base to hold the mounts, so I fabricated new, longer mounts (ply bases) and monted them. In addition, I located a pair of nosegear type wire struts, which have large spring loops, and installed them as replacements fot the stock strut wires. This allows the gear to flex much more, and absorb the shock that occurs whenever wheels contact the runway. I have now made many landings without further incident.

Next problem is the bomb bay doors: they too keep breaking loose (from the hinges), and for no apparent reason. For now, they are taped shut.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:29 AM
miklos
My Feedback: (38)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

OK... hate to say it, but for an RTF, this plane seems like a nighmare...[:@]
Old 10-14-2011, 08:59 AM
CorsairJock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: miklos
OK... hate to say it, but for an RTF, this plane seems like a nighmare...[:@]
If it was any other , 'SIMPLE' warbird, I might agree. But for $400, you get a 63" wingspan B-17, with everything you could possibly want in a B-17: 4 electric motors & speed controls with more or less scale 3 blade props, 3 gear retracts which retract in proper direction (unlike some other B-17 which have outward retracting gear), full house control including flaps, and last but not least, operational bomb bay doors and droppable bombs.. Yes it's a lot of work, but it's a complicated aircraft. 7 servos, 3 electric powered retracts, and 4 ESCs makes it more complicated than typical single engine fighter. No-one ever said a B-17 would be easy. I'm sure in the long run: it will be worth the effort. Not many events that I've been to have witnessed a full house, everything including the kitchen sink B-17 such as this.