Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

What parts did you use to build your CMP P-51 140? (Build thread)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

What parts did you use to build your CMP P-51 140? (Build thread)

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 05:16 PM
Oosiksmith
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What parts did you use to build your CMP P-51 140? (Build thread)

I just picked up a CMP P-51 140. Pretty decent for the price. I will be taking is slow going on this plane, planning to do some mods. Before I start, please share what has worked for you with your Mustang and what hasn't. I'm thinking about putting in retracts on the mains and tailwheel, as well as refinishing the outside of the plane, to include glassing the wings and horizontal tail surfaces. I've seen several of the P-51 140s on other threads, but couldn't find one single thread, like the CMP Hellcat thread (which is pretty darn good), for the P-51.

I've seen several references to the poor resin and how this plane will melt in the heat; don't need to belabor this point..I think we all knew that before we bought the kit. However, if you have a recommended fix, like putting in some carbon fiber reinforcement (saw that mentioned on another thread), please put it in here.

I'm mostly interested in learning about what has and hasn't worked for others. Such as, what retracts, cockpit kit, motor, muffler, etc. that various folks have used and thought was pretty good.

Here are my initial thoughts: Robart 121 tailwheel retract (some folks may have used the 124 nose retract successfully..how did this work out?), possibly Robart 531RS 85 degree retracts with 663R & L Robostruts or the Century Jet retracts at: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXA798&P=7
but I've heard the guys who've used these on the Top Flite P-51 had problems. As for engines, still not sure. Looking at Saito 100 four-stroke, but another post said the Magnum XLS 91A worked well...I haven't had much eperience with Magnum engines.

Anyway, you get the idea. What mods have people done to their planes, what worked and what didn't, where did you find a decent cockpit, what different gear did you install, what motor worked well, etc? Also, items like: Will a 1/6 GI Joe pilot work well in this plane; has anyone modded the intake from an -H model to a -D model--if yes post your plans or pictures; has anyone already made templates for gear doors; has anyone developed a gear door mechanism.....anything cool like that. The Top Flite and Hangar 9 P-51 guys have several long running threads, now lets make one for this plane!

Tim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10592.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	634947  
Old 03-04-2007, 05:44 PM
Oosiksmith

Default RE: What parts did you use to build your CMP P-51 140?

I forgot to mention, post all the pics you want of your planes so we can enjoy them!
Old 03-05-2007, 09:01 PM
spitmad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I flew the b'jesus out of my old CMP P51 (the daily hack flyer) and it was a great model..........very predictable........very well mannered and a joy to land and takeoff.....

Mine was powered by a BNIB Magnum 1.20 f/s until after around 50 sorties the crank broke in flight (yes while in flight !!!) so I junked the Magnum and installed an OS1.20 f/s............I would not install anything smaller.

I installed Robart HD mechanical retracts, 4" dia wheels and moved the tail wheel to the scale position..........be sure to reinforce the u/c mounting plates as this seems to be the only weak spot as they tear out easily (I hit a rabbit scatching hole on landing that was only 2" deep.....torn the gear out[]) I also fitted release mech's on tyhe wing pylons to drop ordinance

Apart from the spurious markings on the model, the shape is about the best you will find a "cheap"ARF P51 and it is great performer and a joy to fly........I flew mine every weekend for 6 months until the covering peeled off the wings.........

cheers

Alan
Old 03-06-2007, 06:21 AM
BankYank
My Feedback: (63)

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I powered mine with a OS1.08FSR/ Robart retracts but cant remember what ones,Oleo struts. Tail wheel in scale location,Take off and flying were great but i never did get the hang of landing it and after fixing the rails for the 3rd time i sold it.
Pat
Old 03-08-2007, 03:21 PM
Oosiksmith

This is pretty neat research site with some good videos:

http://www.zenoswarbirdvideos.com/More_P-51_Stuff.html
Old 03-08-2007, 05:16 PM
Oosiksmith

Okay, so I had my first potential snag today. Upon close inspection of the plane I discovered it had arrived with two right ailerons. I sent Nitroplanes an email and followed up immediately with a call. After I gave them my order number and told them my problem, the lady said a new aileron would be put in the mail by today or tomorrow and I should get it in three to four days. I'm not holding my breath that I'll get it through the post that quickly, but I do have to say I'm impressed with the customer service....no tricky questions or accusations, I just told her my problem and she said they would get a new one in the mail right away. Wow!

When I get the new part I'll keep you posted on how this turns out.

Tim
Old 03-09-2007, 07:53 PM
Oosiksmith

I decided to glass the wings and removed the covering. It was actually more difficult to remove than I thought it would be and proved to be applied pretty well. Also, even when I was pulling the film off, the paint didn't flake or come off at all. I think the wing would have lasted for quite a while as it was.

I've only glassed three planes before and really don't consider myself an expert at it, but I've done okay. This time I'm going to use a little different method; for those who haven't seen this site yet, check it out:

http://www.tompierce.net/190/html/paint/glassing.htm

The builder goes through glassing, and building for that matter, step by step. He also does an outstanding job of listing all the materials he's used and includes photographs of each step. If he ever puts the pages from his site on a disk and sold them as a how-to-do-it guide, I'd buy it.

Name:	Zw69732.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	638820   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56845.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	638821  
Old 03-10-2007, 08:07 AM
Oosiksmith

I took the film off the tailfeathers because they are going to get glassed too. It came off a little easier than the film on the wings and the paint did chip on these. I had used a low-tack masking tape to temporarily hold them to the fuse and even this peeled some of the paint off, so I'd say be careful if you use tape to hold them on and you don't intend to redo them.

Name:	Nl29333.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	639098  
Old 03-11-2007, 10:25 PM
Oosiksmith

Found this neat scheme on COL CE "Bud" Anderson's site:

http://www.cebudanderson.com/images/...ssionwagon.jpg

Name:	Bz79092.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	640544  
Old 03-12-2007, 01:45 AM
crazy8s
My Feedback: (21)

There have been several threads posted about this airplane over the last year and a half or so (although none of them very extensive) and its taken awhile to find them all. I just bought one recently and it appears to be a very high quality arf. I agree with you that it would be very helpful if there had been an extensive build thread for this plane like there are for some of the other CMP warbirds. Anyway, as far as the engines that you are considering are concerned. the airplane looks like it was designed around the YS 140 sport. Of all the flight reports I have found on this plane no one used a 4-stroke smaller than a 1.20 and it flew well on them although it wasn't a speed demon. BankYank used an OS 1.08 2-stroke and reported that it flew nicely on it but remember that the OS 1.08 is a very powerful motor (still wish OS hadn't discontinued it) and the Magnum XLS .91 2-sttroke can't compare with it power wise (but it is a very nice engine, I have one). AS far as the Saito 100 goes, it is a wonderful engine. I have 2 of these, one on the Hanger 9 .60 sized Mustang and the other on their .60 sized P-47. I use 14-8's on both of them and they are plenty fast. However, the Hanger-9 .60 sized warbirds are weighing in right around 8 pounds and this CMP 1.40 sized Mustang is going to come in around 10 to 10 1/2 pounds. The other thing you have to thing about is that this is a 1/6 scale Mustang and its spinner is over 4 inches in diameter and a 14 inch prop is going to look silly on it. I know I can push the Saito 100 to about a 15-6 to 15-8 prop but that still isn't big enough for that spinner and I don't believe the Magnum .91 2-stroke is going to be happy trying to spin a prop that big fast enough for this Mustang. This plane really needs something closer to 17 - 18 inch diameter prop to look and fly realistically. Several of the guys who used the YS 1.40 said it was awesome. A couple of guys used Saito 1.50's and Laser 1.50's with really good results. For the gasoline crowd the Evo 26GT with the inverted wrap around pitts syle muffler is the hot setup. I'm going with a Super Tiger 2300 with a inverted wrap around muffler from Bisson that fits pretty well with only some minimal trimming required. I hope this thread stays active and that some of the guys who have had extensive experience with this plane chime in and give us some of their well earned insights on this great looking Mustang.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:05 PM
Oosiksmith

Great info on the engines. Thanks Crazy8s. I'm doing a few mods so I guess I'd better look a the bigger engines.

BTW, I have an update on my wrong aileron; NitroModels sent me the following email today:

Dear Customer,

We will begin processing your order. Once the item is shipped, you will be emailed a tracking number.

Looks good.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:39 PM
Oosiksmith

Update on the ailerons. When I got home from work today I had a box waiting with two new ailerons and new CA hinges. To their credit, Nitroplanes was fast, courteous, and sent me more than the parts I said I needed, no questions asked or hassle given.

Now for the problem. I must have had my head in my butt when I told them what was missing; I actually needed a right side flap, not aileron. I told them in my email I was missing the aileron. My bad completely. They sent me (priority mail too) what I told them was wrong.

I had been kicking around the idea of enlarging the flaps to scale size, so I guess my mind has been made up for me. Since I have to make the flap now I may as well make a scale sized one and fix the other side too. On the bonus side I now have an extra set of ailerons.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:22 AM
Oosiksmith

I was hoping I could find a -D model scoop from another kit to replace the -H model scoop on this plane, but couldn't. I modded the one that came with the kit and it is almost ready for glassing.

Name:	Rp42163.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	643718   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71063.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	643719  
Old 03-17-2007, 10:40 PM
Oosiksmith

I got a call asking how I modded the scoop. I took the idea from another P-51 thread here on RCU. Instead of blue foam, I used green foam which is usually used by florists...I got it from a craft store. Using a regular file on two blocks of foam, I shaped the foam, which only took about five minutes. Then I covered the foam in DAP lightweight spackle from Home Depot. When the spackle had dried I sanded it down smooth, glassed the inside of the scoop, then used five-minute epoxy to attach the new pieces to the stock scoop, which I'd rough sanded. After the epoxy set, I added more DAP and sanded. I had to do this about four times to get all the crevices and seems filled in. When the DAP goes on it makes the piece feel heavy, but don't worry, when it dries it is very, very light. Between the new front piece of the scoop and the bottom of the wing I cut out a piece of balsa sheeting and sanded it to shape. Now the whole thing is ready to be glassed. I used poly resin to glass the inside of the scoop, but will use epoxy resin to do the outside for the extra strength in case I ever had to do a gear-up landing. After I glass the scoop I may permanently attach it to the wing, but I haven't decided on that yet. The whole scoop will be covered in flitemetal like the rest of the fuselage.

This picture shows the scoop before I added any DAP. The tape was on the scoop temporarily to protect it from the metal file I used to shape the foam.

Let me point out one thing; if you choose to do this green foam method, do it outside. That crap comes off in very fine particles and gets onto everything and doesn't dust off very well...it will embed itself into your clothes if you lean on it. I had to use a hose to get it all off my painting table.

Name:	Rp42150.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	644342  
Old 03-18-2007, 01:00 PM
Oosiksmith

I pulled the covering off the ailerons and flaps and found another feature on this kit. The top and the bottom of the aileron has a piece of plywood countersunk and sanded flush on each side where the control horn attaches. Nice little feature to strengthen the area.

Name:	Tr51181.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	644587  
Old 03-20-2007, 03:59 PM
BankYank

It took me awhile to find it but here is a rather short crummy vid that shows how mine flew with a OS1.08 16X6APC
http://media.putfile.com/P-51-21
Pat
Old 03-20-2007, 08:14 PM
Oosiksmith

Pat,

Thats great.....it looks like that was a good engine combo for this plane. Looks like a very nice flying area you have there too.

Tim

ORIGINAL: BankYank

It took me awhile to find it but here is a rather short crummy vid that shows how mine flew with a OS1.08 16X6APC

Pat
Old 03-21-2007, 08:52 PM
Oosiksmith

Saw these and thought I'd add the links:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5_Gi8Bv8wZE

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2BO7xOsU2CM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TFYzHfjTGtk
Old 03-23-2007, 10:29 PM
Oosiksmith

another good link with detail shots:

http://www.kiwiaircraftimages.com/mustang.html
Old 03-25-2007, 10:42 PM
Oosiksmith

Default RE: What parts did you use to build your CMP P-51 140? (Build thread)

I've been looking around RCU and the rest of the internet for a good technique to make an all internal linkage for the rudder. I know how I am going to set up the elevators, but think I am going to be forced to have control horns on the rudder. Has anyone successfully made an all internal set up before? If so, post some pictures here. I toyed around with a tiller arm, but couldn't get enough deflection inside the fuse....is there another way?

Maybe I'll start a unique post in warbirds, kit builders, and scale forums asking this question.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:27 PM
Oosiksmith

I've been travelling a bit and haven't had time to work on the plane for awhile. Heres an update. I've read through many RCU forums on retracts and ultimately decided to go with the CJM set designed for the Top Flite 1/7 P-51. It didn't take much to get them to drop in, but one of the air hose nipples is in the exact wrong spot to make this thing fit nicely. Instead, the nipple is going to be right up against one of the braces holding the retract mount. It'll all fit though.

Here is a picture of it for the first trial fit with a 4" Robart tire and wheel. I haven't cut out the new hole for the tire to fit yet; I hope the whole tire will fully retract down into the wheel well. If it doesn't, I'll have to pull the stock retract mounts and move them further into the wing.

Name:	Hf98143.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	653085  
Old 03-30-2007, 05:13 PM
BankYank

Hey:
I had the same retracts on a different plane once. On the seizor's part where the rivets are they will get wore and loose to the point of falling out. I seen a fix where they drilled out the rivets and cap screws with nylock nuts are used. Looked like a good fix but i don't have any CJ gear anymore.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:38 PM
Oosiksmith

I cut the gear wells to shape and was hoping the servo tray would be able to stay. Nope. No room; it had to come out to get the gear to retract flush.

Name:	Hf97995.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	653212   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89049.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	653213  
Old 03-30-2007, 08:39 PM
Oosiksmith

Here the gear are fully retracted. I'll put in a false floor after I figure out the plumbing and glass the whole recess for strength and fuelproofing.

Name:	Db84602.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	653214  
Old 03-31-2007, 07:49 PM
Oosiksmith

With the gear fitted I had to see what the plane would look like on its legs.

Name:	Ge96141.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	654002   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99816.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	654003  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.