Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

CARF-Models P-47 Thunderbolt

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

CARF-Models P-47 Thunderbolt

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 12:51 PM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the mechanical set up that they show in the instructions. All that happens with them if the holder isn't careful, is they will close with out damage. But then the tail wheel will not retract this way.

Then i just smack my holder upside the head and tell him to be careful the next time.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:51 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is a video of how I do all tail wheel doors now. Simple and needs no air. Very nice if you have converted everything else to electric.

For the P-47, I simply set the stops up so they open farther.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bABdLsrZ4eo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBK_hQnO_Yw

Last edited by ram3500-RCU; 02-18-2015 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:07 AM
Ragz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The thunderbolt is finally on her feet now...things should move a bit faster henceforth... Time to get all the systems to talk to each other and get the engine throttle servo/choke servo done.. then to the scaling part...im pleased so far.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1627.jpg
Views:	925
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	2075891   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1630.jpg
Views:	903
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	2075892   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1631.jpg
Views:	861
Size:	793.8 KB
ID:	2075893   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1632.jpg
Views:	901
Size:	920.4 KB
ID:	2075894   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1633.jpg
Views:	930
Size:	982.2 KB
ID:	2075895   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1635.jpg
Views:	929
Size:	837.8 KB
ID:	2075896  
Old 02-24-2015, 05:12 AM
Ragz

Gary, the tail doors look awesome.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:14 AM
Blackwidow

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Howdy Gents,
So cool to watch along as you build this aircraft.
I too am building one. I bought one along with the Moki250 radial about 4 years ago and began work on it in San Diego.
I have since retired and relocated to central Oregon and now that my life is somewhat back in order AND I have the shop of my dreams I am starting back into the project.
I was the first guy to send my Sierra P47 gear to D & L for electric conversion and went through the pains with them trying to deal with the sequencer handling the air control to the struts on the mains.
I sure was hoping for a total electric aircraft but it looks like we still need some air....sigh
Curious about the decision to use pneumatic rams for gear doors vs micro servos. I just see air systems as evil. I don't mind working on a system to make sure its right and thoroughly tested but air systems seem to work fine during ground testing and then fail in flight in my experience.
I am still in a quandary about which paint scheme to choose. I'm looking for an airplane like SNAFU with invasion stripes but the more I read I don't think many planes of the 78th actually had invasion stripes. Don't get me wrong I am not planning to compete in scale events but I always prefer to model after actual aircraft that have a good story.
I am about ready to install the retracts and get her on her feet so I better go the shop.
Thanks again for all the effort to post your progress and discuss issues. It really helps to see how others have addressed the same issues you are facing.
Blue skies,
Old 02-24-2015, 03:41 PM
DENTO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackwidow
Howdy Gents,
So cool to watch along as you build this aircraft.
I too am building one. I bought one along with the Moki250 radial about 4 years ago and began work on it in San Diego.
I have since retired and relocated to central Oregon and now that my life is somewhat back in order AND I have the shop of my dreams I am starting back into the project.
I was the first guy to send my Sierra P47 gear to D & L for electric conversion and went through the pains with them trying to deal with the sequencer handling the air control to the struts on the mains.
I sure was hoping for a total electric aircraft but it looks like we still need some air....sigh
Curious about the decision to use pneumatic rams for gear doors vs micro servos. I just see air systems as evil. I don't mind working on a system to make sure its right and thoroughly tested but air systems seem to work fine during ground testing and then fail in flight in my experience.
I am still in a quandary about which paint scheme to choose. I'm looking for an airplane like SNAFU with invasion stripes but the more I read I don't think many planes of the 78th actually had invasion stripes. Don't get me wrong I am not planning to compete in scale events but I always prefer to model after actual aircraft that have a good story.
I am about ready to install the retracts and get her on her feet so I better go the shop.
Thanks again for all the effort to post your progress and discuss issues. It really helps to see how others have addressed the same issues you are facing.
Blue skies,
HI Tom
I have the SNAFU LOOKS VERY NICE Also with air I have always stuck with air but always with quality fittings is the answer Aways oil the lines and rams before use Have gone to use a model after
3 to 6 months and still air in system JUST MY $ WORTH
REGARDS
JOHN
Old 02-24-2015, 03:43 PM
DENTO

Originally Posted by DENTO
HI Tom
I have the SNAFU LOOKS VERY NICE Also with air I have always stuck with air but always with quality fittings is the answer Aways oil the lines and rams before use Have gone to use a model after
3 to 6 months and still air in system JUST MY $ WORTH
REGARDS
JOHN
PS TO ALL THAT Do you know what SNAFU means I do but we shall see how many pick up on it
REGARDS
JOHN
Old 02-24-2015, 05:10 PM
Blackwidow

Thanks John!
I appreciate the thoughts the air systems. Could you recommend an air fitting supplier you like? Never heard of oiling the air system but I don't know why it makes a ton of sense. Do you just use light air tool like oil? How much? Even though the only air I hope to have is to the main struts I want to take my time and make every system as good as I can make it. So now onto the more interesting question the meaning of SNAFU. Ya know I always thought it was like a mistake or some type of error. The dictionary says it means confused or a chaotic state. But with more digging I eventually learned that there might be more than one interpretation of this acronym. Freakin Hilarious! Thanks PERFECT name for an aircraft!
Old 02-25-2015, 02:56 AM
IFLYBVM2
My Feedback: (360)

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Air components ? Here is what I use that has worked well for me over the years :
High quality airline-BVM, which is actually Freelin Wade 95A if I recall-available in bulk (don't even think about using the Robart airline)
BVM purple fill valves-expensive, but they don't leak
Brass only 'tees'-be careful here-some brands leak. In this case I DO use the Robart ones-they have been trouble free
Ultra Precision valves
Test each cylinder individulaly with hemostats to make sure O rings are good before final plumbing.
Of course, there are other well made components out there-just telling you what has proven itself in my models over the years.
-Mike O
Old 02-25-2015, 05:17 AM
Greg Wright

Originally Posted by IFLYBVM2
Air components ? Here is what I use that has worked well for me over the years :
High quality airline-BVM, which is actually Freelin Wade 95A if I recall-available in bulk (don't even think about using the Robart airline)
BVM purple fill valves-expensive, but they don't leak
Brass only 'tees'-be careful here-some brands leak. In this case I DO use the Robart ones-they have been trouble free
Ultra Precision valves
Test each cylinder individulaly with hemostats to make sure O rings are good before final plumbing.
Of course, there are other well made components out there-just telling you what has proven itself in my models over the years.
-Mike O
These are all good choices.. The only other thing that i did different on mine was to use two of the BVM high flow Retract valves on separate air systems for the gear and doors. Then i used the sequencer in my DX18 to set them up to operate.
I no it sounds like a lot of work but if your up to it you can also safety wire each connection for a total leak proof system.

Last edited by Greg Wright; 02-25-2015 at 05:22 AM.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:47 PM
Blackwidow

Thanks Mike & Greg for your recommendations for quality pneumatic components.

Had another question.........Has anyone needed to open the cowl flaps on this model with the Moki 250 Radial?

In trial fitting the cowl to the airplane last night it didn't seem like there was nearly enough air exit area between the cowl and fuselage nose compared to the area of the opening in the front of the cowl.

Aren't you supposed to have like twice the amount of exit area as you do inlet area?

I know there are quite a few of these flying with the same motor just curious if motor overheating is occurring.

KInda wanted to make functional cowl flaps anyway just curious.

Thanks

Tom
Old 02-26-2015, 04:39 AM
Greg Wright

Tom,
I have had zero issues with the engine overheating in my plane. There is plenty of exit air space for the motor as long as you put a Baffle in the cowl as is recommended by Moki you will be just fine.

I have done this on mine and also have had a few friends do it, and the temps are in the 160 to 180 degree range after a flight.

Name:	1376693_685036964842811_2145156142_n.jpg
Views:	878
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	2076641   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0544.JPG
Views:	871
Size:	1.74 MB
ID:	2076642   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0516.jpg
Views:	902
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	2076643  
Old 02-26-2015, 04:43 AM
Greg Wright

[ATTACH]2076644[/IMG]

Here is a PDF file of the template if you want to use it. It was posted on here to use a while ago by Dr Scoles.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
P-47template-2.pdf (27.8 KB, 130 views)

Last edited by Greg Wright; 02-26-2015 at 12:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
frankyjg2012 (05-19-2020)
Old 02-26-2015, 07:11 AM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

uhhhhh Greg…. I asked you for your original template and you didn't help a brother out! ROFL It sucked making that template! I have one for the corsair and bearcat also if anyone needs it...
Old 02-26-2015, 07:11 AM
Blackwidow

Thanks Greg! Appreciate the information on the baffle!
Old 02-26-2015, 12:33 PM
Greg Wright

Sorry Doc,

I couldn't remember if i had sent it to you or some one else. My BAD!!!
Old 02-26-2015, 04:06 PM
snobird
My Feedback: (36)

Has anyone used Tianio's bafile and the fuel pump on their Moki
Old 03-04-2015, 09:03 AM
ram3500-RCU

Originally Posted by snobird
Has anyone used Tianio's bafile and the fuel pump on their Moki
Have not used Tiano's baffle because I have my own template. I do baffle though. I always use the fuel pump, even on the 150. The Moki pump is marginal at best. Opinions vary on this, but I view it as cheap insurance.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:32 AM
Blackwidow

Are you guys using the Turbulator on the Moki 250's these days? It was being used a few years ago when I first bought my Moki's and I used one on my 250 mounted in the 33% Waco but I would like to eliminate it for the P47 build because it moves the carb so far back. I have heard a few guys running the Moki 250's at fly-ins saying you really only need it on the Moki 150's. I did notice it helped even out the CHT among the cylinders 250 when I installed it. I would appreciate your opinions.
Thanks
Old 03-04-2015, 09:34 AM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Good question. I'd like to know also. I am also running the upgraded high volt ignition on mine.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:38 AM
ram3500-RCU

Originally Posted by Blackwidow
Are you guys using the Turbulator on the Moki 250's these days? It was being used a few years ago when I first bought my Moki's and I used one on my 250 mounted in the 33% Waco but I would like to eliminate it for the P47 build because it moves the carb so far back. I have heard a few guys running the Moki 250's at fly-ins saying you really only need it on the Moki 150's. I did notice it helped even out the CHT among the cylinders 250 when I installed it. I would appreciate your opinions.
Thanks
I have never used it on the 250 / 215. No need IMO. Always use a pump though. Don't use it on the 150 either and mine run great.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:43 AM
Blackwidow

Can you point me to where I could learn more about this "high voltage ignition option? Is this something new that has been developed recently? It has been about 4 years since I bought my Moki radials?
Old 03-04-2015, 10:41 AM
Greg Wright

Tom,

They have upgraded the ignition module to where it will operate on anything from 6volt all the way up to 9volt batteries. Don't quote me on this but if you decide to upgrade i think they have to replace the coils that are in the back of the motor.
That means you would have to send it in to do this.

You could call Gotz Vogelsang and he will answer all your questions on the Moki's.

http://teamaeroscale.com

Last edited by Greg Wright; 03-04-2015 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:22 PM
ram3500-RCU

Originally Posted by Greg Wright
Tom,

They have upgraded the ignition module to where it will operate on anything from 6volt all the way up to 9volt batteries. Don't quote me on this but if you decide to upgrade i think they have to replace the coils that are in the back of the motor.
That means you would have to send it in to do this.

You could call Gotz Vogelsang and he will answer all your questions on the Moki's.

http://teamaeroscale.com
Gotz IS the guy to talk to. He also stocks the new Moki ignition, where I buy mine. I have been using it for a couple seasons. No upgrade to the engine is necessary, it is a plug and play replacement for the old "top hat" 4.8 ignition. It is not cheap, but it allows for a 2 cell LiPo to be used without a regulator. One less component to fail.

It takes up a little more room, so you need to account for that. Here is a picture of it.

Name:	DSCN2112.JPG
Views:	885
Size:	878.2 KB
ID:	2078810  

Last edited by ram3500-RCU; 03-04-2015 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:32 PM
Ragz

I have been able to get a lot of work done on my t-bolt. I am planning to NOT cut any service hatch. I plan to use the two air vent aft of the fuse for air in and fuel in. Since I am using a powerbox royal srs, I will use the mag sensor switch to power up the model. I was wondering if I can cut out a hatch behind the pilot head rest for the screen and the main powerbox switch? This can be covered with some "removable" scale detail when the cockpit is being built. I have not started work on the attaching the canopy yet, only cut them out. I reckon getting them to align correctly on the fuse will be a challenge. I plan to use rails to guide them...not sure if they will be radio controlled... but if I can ensure a smooth motion, then why not. I also got the carf 4 bladed prop...

Still not sure about the colour scheme yet.. but snafu or dallas blonde are being examined. Does anyone use a header tank? Like a UAT or something? Since I come from jets, I am rather uncomfortable not having a header tank here.

Just blabbering I guess.. very excited about this project.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.