Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

CARF-Models P-47 Thunderbolt

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

CARF-Models P-47 Thunderbolt

Old 03-24-2015, 11:49 AM
Growler84
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The torque from the big Moki generates the swing to the left on takeoff and this is best managed by moderating your throttle-up while of course putting in the requisite amount of right rudder. I use no more than 1/2 power on takeoff with the Thunderbolt, which makes the torque swing very manageable and presents a beautiful scale takeoff. I learned this a few years back on the CARF Corsair. I was doing every takeoff with full right rudder and the model still kept tracking all the way over to the left side of the runway before lift off. I happened to have been reading Alex Hendshaw's (Spitfire test pilot) book and he talked about how the Mk-XIV Spitfire with the 2,000 HP Griffon engine was impossible to take off at full power on pavement because he just could not generate enough counter-rudder (even with the larger fin/ruder) to overcome the torque of the Griffon. Aha! the Dull light came on in my brain and I learned to apply the 1/2 power takeoff rule to both of the big CARF warbirds. By-the-way, we tried a gyro on the Corsair and found it useless for our purposes. The throttle management technique was far more effective.

Another takeoff technique comes to us from the full scale tail dragger world. Hold a bit of elevator during the initial takeoff roll to keep the tail wheel in contact with the surface for steering authority until you allow the tail to rise up with sufficient airflow to ensure rudder authority. This technique is 50% of the solution to a straight, scale Thunderbolt takeoff. With that huge stab the Thunderbolt tail will come up right away with a blast of wind from the prop, the problem is the rudder does not have sufficient authority to counter the torque swing at that point. If I had to put numbers to it, I'd say hold the tail down for about 25 feet, then gently release the elevator input and allow the tail to come up.

A quick story to end the torque swing discussion. My friend, the Corsair owner, attempted his first takeoff with the Corsair and the model got squirrely during his initial power up. He reacted like most beginners do and hammered the throttle to full power. The Corsair swung 90 degrees to the left and he horsed it off the runway in a stalled condition. Luckily for him the Moki 250 was checking in with all cylinders and the surface dropped away in a slight depression. He flew it out of that situation and was shaking so bad I had to take the transmitter and complete the flight. To close...throttle management, throttle management, throttle management.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:19 PM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ragz
is anyone flying their thunderbolts with an iGyro? Or any other 3 axis gyro? Wondering if 3 axis stabilisation will really make a difference? What are the issues, if any, with this plane anyway? Besides the plane wanting to veer off to one side during take off. This can be addressed with the iGyro very well.
I have recently installed an I-Gyro3e into my P-47. I'm waiting for some good weather to come so i can go out and fly so i can get it set-up in the plane.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:38 AM
SWORDSN
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Growler84
The torque from the big Moki generates the swing to the left on takeoff and this is best managed by moderating your throttle-up while of course putting in the requisite amount of right rudder. I use no more than 1/2 power on takeoff with the Thunderbolt, which makes the torque swing very manageable and presents a beautiful scale takeoff. I learned this a few years back on the CARF Corsair. I was doing every takeoff with full right rudder and the model still kept tracking all the way over to the left side of the runway before lift off. I happened to have been reading Alex Hendshaw's (Spitfire test pilot) book and he talked about how the Mk-XIV Spitfire with the 2,000 HP Griffon engine was impossible to take off at full power on pavement because he just could not generate enough counter-rudder (even with the larger fin/ruder) to overcome the torque of the Griffon. Aha! the Dull light came on in my brain and I learned to apply the 1/2 power takeoff rule to both of the big CARF warbirds. By-the-way, we tried a gyro on the Corsair and found it useless for our purposes. The throttle management technique was far more effective.

Another takeoff technique comes to us from the full scale tail dragger world. Hold a bit of elevator during the initial takeoff roll to keep the tail wheel in contact with the surface for steering authority until you allow the tail to rise up with sufficient airflow to ensure rudder authority. This technique is 50% of the solution to a straight, scale Thunderbolt takeoff. With that huge stab the Thunderbolt tail will come up right away with a blast of wind from the prop, the problem is the rudder does not have sufficient authority to counter the torque swing at that point. If I had to put numbers to it, I'd say hold the tail down for about 25 feet, then gently release the elevator input and allow the tail to come up.

A quick story to end the torque swing discussion. My friend, the Corsair owner, attempted his first takeoff with the Corsair and the model got squirrely during his initial power up. He reacted like most beginners do and hammered the throttle to full power. The Corsair swung 90 degrees to the left and he horsed it off the runway in a stalled condition. Luckily for him the Moki 250 was checking in with all cylinders and the surface dropped away in a slight depression. He flew it out of that situation and was shaking so bad I had to take the transmitter and complete the flight. To close...throttle management, throttle management, throttle management.
ALL ...so true!Most learn this the hard way,including me
Old 03-25-2015, 08:44 AM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Growler84

excellent post !! Having a lot of power comes with great responsibility !!!

Voy
Old 03-29-2015, 07:40 AM
Ragz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just wondering if its a good idea to test fly the Jug without the cowl for initial flights? New to radials, so just a bit wary. Moreover, I want to fly around with a 2 bladed SEP prop initially... And with the cowl installed, this option is not possible as the prop touches the cowl. With the carf hub and prop, the gap increases but I would rather not use a 4 bladed setup during initial flights? Not sure which is the right path to choose.

thanks in advance.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:07 AM
Greg Wright

Ragz,

I would suggest that you do not fly it with out the cowl. I you have a baffle inside the cowl i would rather see that you have it on so that you get the most effective cooling for the engine. As far as using the 2 bladed prop i would look into getting a spacer to add behind the prop so that you can use it. I'm thinking a 1/4 inch should do the trick. I ordered one from Gotz Vogelsang hear in the U.S but i don't think i will use it. I have the 4 bladed prop on mine and i have had no problems with it.

Last edited by Greg Wright; 03-29-2015 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:16 AM
Ragz

Ok Greg, I like the idea of the spacer. Perhaps using the prop washer as a spacer would be a good idea...Basically this would mean getting another prop washer and longer bolts...Yes I have baffled the engine by sticking the baffle to the cowl. I am concerned about air flow over the exhaust collector ring though...as per the 132 page moki thread, it tends to get red hot...
Old 03-29-2015, 01:04 PM
Greg Wright

Ok Greg, I like the idea of the spacer. Perhaps using the prop washer as a spacer would be a good idea...Basically this would mean getting another prop washer and longer bolts...Yes I have baffled the engine by sticking the baffle to the cowl. I am concerned about air flow over the exhaust collector ring though...as per the 132 page moki thread, it tends to get red hot...
The prop washer is basically what i received when i ordered the spacer from Vogelsang so that will work as it is a 6 bolt hub. The exhaust will be just fine. like i said i have had zero issues with mine enclosed inside the cowl and i'm not the only guy flying one of these planes with this engine. There will be more than enough airflow to keep everything cool enough. If your that concerned about the exhaust ring then you can go and buy yourself some heat resistant exhaust tape and wrap it around
the collector ring.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	da08e__Ask-Kevin-wrapping-tape-590x393.jpg
Views:	1025
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	2084968  

Last edited by Greg Wright; 03-29-2015 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:27 AM
Ragz

Sharing a few images from this evening. I have decided to go with the SNAFU scheme. Its the most documented and available scheme on the net i think. And it looks very nice. Haven't started work on the canopy yet...I hate doing canopy work... The carf blade is 1100gms with the hub as compared to the SEP 32x18 which is only 360gms... dramatic weight difference. I wanted to do the initial flights with the SEP so i will need to add extra nose weight.

Name:	IMG_2247.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	3.61 MB
ID:	2085129   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2248.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	3.30 MB
ID:	2085130   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2249.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	3.25 MB
ID:	2085131   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2250.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	3.33 MB
ID:	2085132   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2251.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	3.57 MB
ID:	2085133   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2252.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	2.74 MB
ID:	2085134   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2254.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	3.82 MB
ID:	2085135  
Old 03-30-2015, 12:55 PM
peter w h

Well done Sir.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:27 PM
Ragz

thank you Sir.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:48 AM
Ragz

I am going to setup the carf blades tonight. I have a few questions. The 4 blades have come with a number painted on the root of the blade and another long number on the prop length wise. Please see pictures. I believe these are ref. numbers for the factory for ordering new blades. I am wondering if there is a pattern to place these in the hub? There are 3x 152 and 1x 151. The long numbers are in sequence ending with 5, 6, 7, 8. How does this work? The instructions are in german, but the pictures seem to ask you to measure out 35.50 cms for the P47 from the centre of the hub outwards to the tip of the prop and insert the wedge from the LE end of the prop. How much does the wedge need to go in? The more I insert the edge the greater the angle...This is not clear in the instructions. The wedge diagram given in the manual is also not to scale. Im so lost here.

I ran up the engine on the airframe today, and even with pump pressure to the minimum, the engine seems to run fine.. while the engine was running, I played around with the pump pressure but obviously there was no difference to the engine rpm...perhaps, I will need to play with pump pressure and lean out the needles to find the sweet spot... but this seems rather unreasonable...Any suggestions?

Name:	IMG_2280.JPG
Views:	1013
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	2085382   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2279.JPG
Views:	1039
Size:	1.89 MB
ID:	2085383   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2278.JPG
Views:	1059
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	2085384   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2277.JPG
Views:	987
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	2085385  
Old 03-31-2015, 04:19 AM
Ragz

OK, I figured this out. The 151 and 152 are weights in grams. Mine are +/- 0.5gms off these. Now I have used the jig at 35.50cms from the centre of the hub until both ends of the blade rests flat on the jig. Am I ok to go from here?
Old 04-06-2015, 06:01 AM
Ragz

I am thinking of getting a detailed almost ready to install cockpit set from dynamic balsa. Wondering if someone has images from their thunderbolt with the dBalsa setup installed? I need to know how much work is needed to complete the install.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:02 AM
wojtek

I am thinking of getting a detailed almost ready to install cockpit set from dynamic balsa. Wondering if someone has images from their thunderbolt with the dBalsa setup installed? I need to know how much work is needed to complete the install.
My recommendation would be to only buy the vacuum formed floor and walls from Dynamic balsa, and then get the cockpit kit from Aero-Cockpit. ( iflytailies.com resells these)

this is what i used on my cockpit

I made the backside of the panel with some styrene wires, servo wires and music wire.. I like the open look of some of the P47s with the hood removed or pulled back ..

Voy

Name:	401241_457270657687870_251024087_n.jpg
Views:	1974
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	2086761   Click image for larger version

Name:	603745_457270644354538_1519143000_n.jpg
Views:	2039
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	2086762   Click image for larger version

Name:	480742_451836258231310_1389343235_n.jpg
Views:	1894
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	2086763   Click image for larger version

Name:	528318_451836288231307_115634823_n.jpg
Views:	1869
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	2086764  
Old 04-06-2015, 08:21 AM
Ragz

Hi Voy,

I have written to iflytailies a few days ago. Awaiting a response. Nice to hear from you, I think yours is the most spectacular p47 i have ever seen. Where is it these days?
Old 04-06-2015, 09:34 AM
wojtek

Hi Voy,

I have written to iflytailies a few days ago. Awaiting a response. Nice to hear from you, I think yours is the most spectacular p47 i have ever seen. Where is it these days?
Thanks Very much Its currently in my basement RTF .. I just have not had any time to fly :\ I was about to sell it last year, and I am very glad i did not. I was panning to build an even more scale one, but i know i wont have time for a long time, and there are so many other projects i have piled up also !

as for Alex, he might be away as he travels around the holidays sometimes.

this is the direct manufacturer, but they would take at least 4 - 6 weeks . Beautiful products ! ... Id say give Alex a few days to respond ....
http://www.aerocockpit.com/en/7-esho...kpit-kits.html

Voy
Old 04-28-2015, 03:15 AM
Ragz

I just received the cockpit kit and panels from iflytallies...great looking stuff.. Can someone share their setup so I can use that as a guide to build mine? This is my first scale cockpit. Do I need to start by building a box with the green panel sheets?

thanks in advance.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:22 AM
samparfitt
My Feedback: (43)

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Anurag,
I have, virtually, all Dbalsa's cockpits in my planes.

Name:	zirolip47110inch1162.JPG
Views:	992
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	2092762   Click image for larger version

Name:	zirolip47110inch1163.JPG
Views:	999
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	2092763   Click image for larger version

Name:	zirolip47110inch1164.JPG
Views:	1002
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	2092764   Click image for larger version

Name:	zirolip47110inch1165.JPG
Views:	979
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	2092765   Click image for larger version

Name:	zirolip47110inch1166.JPG
Views:	1033
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	2092766   Click image for larger version

Name:	zirolip47110inch1167.JPG
Views:	968
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	2092767  

Last edited by samparfitt; 04-28-2015 at 03:24 AM.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:31 AM
Ragz

Looks nice. Sure is intricately done...
Old 04-28-2015, 03:38 AM
samparfitt
My Feedback: (43)

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Ragz,
There are a lot of parts and it takes me about a week to finish it but I like the results. All parts are individually bagged and you get an excellent instruction manual plus a DVD with lots of pictures. Like anything, break a complex component down into parts/modules and it's a lot easier.
Everything in the pictures are from the kit.
The following users liked this post:
NICKELUP (02-24-2020)
Old 06-08-2015, 10:51 AM
Growler84
My Feedback: (8)

Default MissBehave/Lil Lo Weathered

I finally finished the weathering on Mike's MissBehave. We took it to the SOCAL Scale Squadron Warbirds and Classics this past weekend and had a great time showing and flying it. Mike let me take it up against Brian Young and his FW-190.

Name:	Jug1.jpg
Views:	1049
Size:	514.7 KB
ID:	2101452   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jug2.JPG
Views:	1019
Size:	404.3 KB
ID:	2101453   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jugoverhead.jpg
Views:	1003
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	2101684  

Last edited by Growler84; 06-09-2015 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Add photo
Old 06-08-2015, 11:02 AM
snobird
My Feedback: (36)

Almost ready, working out a few bugs

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1022
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	2101476  
Old 08-14-2015, 06:49 AM
Ragz

Finally it flew. Here are the links to two videos.

Test flight

https://youtu.be/x8hVP--1E_g

Second flight

https://youtu.be/bP4QmnAbwMg

The videos are very basic, just very excited to share.

Old 08-14-2015, 06:51 AM
Ragz

don't know the first link didn't become active. You can copy paste in your browser, and it works.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.