Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Whats a warbird?

Old 03-20-2011, 05:28 AM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Whats a warbird?

ORIGINAL: GerKonig

ORIGINAL: LDM

Gerry the reports on the Top Flight new ARFs have been fantastic . I have some buds that have both the 90 size and the Giant Scale , nothing but praise for the planes all around !!!
Bjor , I guess in the RC world it can look , smell ect like a warbird but but in the context of how a heavy medal bird feels I would have to defer that questions to the experts .
My assumption is based on my limited experience and let me explane . As you know every newbee including me in year onewants to fly a warbird . As you also know every experienced RC guy will spend countless hours on why that is a bad decision .
Ok , so then we have the ARF revolution , along comes the new generation of Warbirds by Hanger 9 . A P51 , a Corsair , and P47 ect . I had been out of the hobby and I come back , get my skills back with a high wing trainer and go right to the H9 Corsair . I soon learned that this plane was a real cream puff to fly while looking the part for most taiste of a very nice Corsair for an ARF . So the new hanger nine birds redefined the look and expectations of what a warbird could be as far as difficulty and experience in flying .
So now the ARFs evolve even more , and along comes the new KMP planes . Many made the jumo not knowing that for the most part , these would be much heavier in wing loading and have the characterisics of what tradionalist have referred to as ''heavy feel'' !! Ok , so many can argue '' its just not build right '' perhaps that is true but that statement can be said for many of scratch build project that was also very heavy .
Bottom line , if you google the definition of a warbird , its really simple '' refers to WW2 planes '' it was that easy , but if you use the RC world definition -not invented by me and surely heard by so many in this thread , yes it first must look like a warbird , and second it muct feel heavy (not my words , simply surf RCU and you fond tons of examples on these statements .

I was looking at the ESM D3A1 Val Dive Bomber 81'' ARF. With fixed landing gear, and price of around $320 with a wing loading of 32, it looks like it would fly ''light''. They also have a big corsair that has to be way lighter than any kit builf top Lite (1/5 scale). I disagree that only WWII airplanes are ''Warbirds'' I go by the full scale community definition of Warbird. Heck they not onlyhave an organization with that name, there are contests, etc. Remember, after all, we are building models of the real thing:-) Besides, The 1/4 scale Fokker DVIII I am working on is (for most) a legit ''Warbird''.

Gerry
Pictured below, my current ''warbird''

Sorry, my TCS braces mess up my typing, and my spell checker is not set to English:-) I meant to say: "way lighter than any kit built Top Flite (1/5 scale)"

Gerry
PS: This is my "other" warbird in progress (above the white Cub)
Old 03-20-2011, 05:35 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Gerry , my spell checker never works lol , dont worry your message was 100% understood !!!
Old 03-20-2011, 05:39 AM
LDM

Googles interpretation :
Definitions of Warbird on the Web:

Warbird is a term used to describe vintage military aircraft. Although the term originally implied piston driven aircraft from the World War II era, it is now often extended to include all military aircraft, including jet powered aircraft, that are no longer in military service. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warbird
Old 03-20-2011, 09:48 AM
GerKonig

An article that answers the question:-)

Gerry

What is a Warbird Airplane?
A warbird is an airplane that was once used by the armed forces of any country, and is now privately owned. Many hundreds of ex-military aircraft from around the the world have been saved from destruction and given new life by devoted men and women who enjoy preserving history. These brave people involve themselves with these historic aircraft not only for the love of flying and the look, sound, feel and smell of the aircraft themselves, but also for the historical significance these aircraft played in the shaping of their respective nations.

Whether a docile training airplane, a large cargo transport, a low-and-slow observation plane, a four-engine bomber, a nimble World War II fighter, a supersonic jet or a rescue helicopter, warbirds helped make history. They served over the jungles of Vietnam, in the deserts of North Africa, over the bloody battlefields of Europe, and at countless training bases at home and abroad. They provided food and supplies to soldiers and civilians alike, transported Presidents and Generals, and saved countless lives, both in war and peacetime. They have been a major part of some of the most significant events of the 20th Century.

But most of all, they have provided the "brute force" that nations needed when diplomacy failed. Almost every nation on earth has at least a small air force which serves as an important instrument of their national security. The use of the airplane as a weapon of war was developed almost concurrently with its use as a mode of transportation.

Every once in a while, someone attends a home-town airshow, notices a couple of old warplanes flying around, and gets the idea that by putting them on public display, their owners and pilots are somehow "idolizing" war and war machines. Nothing could be further from the truth. No soldier has ever wanted war. An effective fighting force is one whose very strength and fighting capability deters the enemy from fighting in the first place. However, conflicts are not always resolved so easily, and when a nation commits its air forces to combat, it does it with the knowledge that human lives (on both sides) are at stake.

The men and women who fight for their country are, and have always been, the finest people a society has to offer. No other endeavor requires its participants to confront their own mortality in such blunt terms, and no other career field expects its members to sacrifice so much.

Regardless of your personal opinions about war and its role in modern society, the fact is that we are all here because of the sacrifices made by past generations. A "Warbird" aircraft is a living tribute to those men and women who long ago sacrificed everything for the defense of their nation. It is a "living, breathing," visible link to those earlier times of conflict, and it reminds us all how very precious our peace is
Old 03-20-2011, 10:45 AM
LDM

Very good post Gerry !!!
Old 03-20-2011, 10:48 AM
jessiej

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: LDM

Very good post Gerry !!!
Yes, vrey good indeed. Thanks

jess
Old 03-20-2011, 05:08 PM
cannonball200
My Feedback: (36)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ditto's !!!! Very good post!!!!
Thanks,
Old 03-21-2011, 08:07 AM
Jaybird

ORIGINAL: bjor

Just asking. Is a warbird only considered one if it still retains or has its military colour scheme? Does it have to have seen a combat role? Is a mustang in ''Reno'' colours a warbird? What about an Extra 300 as flown by the Chilean or Jordanian airforce as trainers and aerobats - or a F16 in ''thunderbirds'' colours - or a PC-9 in ''roulette'' colours - are they ''war birds''. You can see where i'm going here. I have an Extra that I want to cover in the Chilean colours - but one or two die hards have indicated that they wont allow it at any warbird event despite me having documentation that the plane and scheme exist in the chilean airforce.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3007/...fa680603d6.jpg

It would seem you've asked two distinctly different questions with your original post.

1) What is a "warbird" - see the definitions posted or ask for opinions and stand back back and watch the fur fly...

2) Can you, if you want to, reproduce a scale military training paint scheme on a scale aircraft and attend a warbird event with it - sure you can, you can do anything you want. Only the CD director of the particular contest in question can can say no to you and your aircraft. So check ahead of time and go for it.

Send us a picture when get back!

Another opinion pilled upon others....

Jaybird

p.s Enough with Cubs already...pictures and documentation show they are war heroes. If all of you were in a room together I'd swear there'd be bloody noses and broken model airplanes on the ground!
Old 03-21-2011, 03:41 PM
jessiej

It would seem that with over two hundred posts in reply to this seemingly simple question and no definitive answer that :

(a) No one knows, or

(b) It does not matter.

jess
Old 03-21-2011, 04:11 PM
jeffEE
My Feedback: (5)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

with over two hundred posts, it would seem to me that
1. It DOES matter
and
2. Everybody THINKS they know.

But its nice to see that with this many posts, most people are haveing fun.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:07 PM
Flak
My Feedback: (1)

Actually, it WILL matter if someone who is misguided travels a long distance and is not allowed to participate in a particular event. [>:]
Old 03-21-2011, 10:36 PM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Lets pick another pretty specific example: "Reno Racers", full size or R/C.

- Lots of Unlimited (and AT-6) class racers fly in authentic enough military paint jobs. No question about their Warbirdness?
- Many racers keep the "stock" shapes but have been painted in civilian colors. Is a P-51 painted in stars and bars still a warbird?
- The highly modified ones... pretty civvie colors and all sorts of aerodynamic changes. I cannot make myself think of Strega, Rare Bear, or September Fury as warbirds, even though they clearly have military histories.

-
... What about racing engines?
- A Merlin with twice the power is still a Merlin, so doesn't change the Warbird status of the aircraft?
- Replacing the original British engine on a Sea Fury with an American engine of roughly similar size, for parts availablility. Still a Warbird?
- Replacing the original engine with a bigger and badder one? Maybe it is no longer the same kind of aircraft?