Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Whats a warbird?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 10:22 AM
Flak
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Whats a warbird?

Yours sir is just one more opinion.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:50 AM
mmorg1
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is another good opinion. I have been fighting with my U.P.2 valve leaking for over a week. replaced all the O-rings, new grease and it still leaks. That frustration definitly makes my mustang a warbird. If you cuss at it, it is a warbird.[:@]
Old 03-19-2011, 10:52 AM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: mmorg1

Here is another good opinion. I have been fighting with my U.P.2 valve leaking for over a week. replaced all the O-rings, new grease and it still leaks. That frustration definitly makes my mustang a warbird. If you cuss at it, it is a warbird.[:@]
I hate to say this! I am afraid I have a neighbor married to a warbird then:-)

Gerry
Old 03-19-2011, 11:21 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

yes my friend just one more opinion but if we stick to RC warbird I can tell you that its all about wingloading .
Take the Hanger 9 corsair its a sport plane that looks like a warbird . Fool yourself into thinking you can fly a warbird because you have mastered a hanger 9 corsair , and move into a kit build Gold Edition P40 and you will see very quickly what a warbird is in the world of RC .
This is not directed at you Flak , I know your experienced , its a discussion in general
Old 03-19-2011, 12:02 PM
Flak

LDM,
I have never had a Hangar 9 Airplane. I have built and flown kit P-40's, both the red box TF P-40 and the Gold Edition P-40. However, I try to explain to those who have no experience how to do it, what to expect, and to practice on a simulator first. I still remember my first take of with my first Warbird, a Spitfire. The video of my TF Gold Edition P-51 shows how even a seasoned pilot can make a mistake now and then. These are flight characteristics, and do not pertain to the question here, which is, "What is a Warbird"? In the event this were a thread on Warbird Flight Characteristics, I would advise to think of a Warbird as "Flying Brick" that wants to torque and yaw left of takeoff, defies gravity through horsepower, hates cross wind landings, and does not stop flying until it has stopped moving and the engine is shut off!

Old 03-19-2011, 12:57 PM
LDM

Well in my humble Opinion you my friend have answered the very important question on how the questions pertains to this website and I thank you for that
Old 03-19-2011, 01:05 PM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you guys saying that an R/C warbird must be built héavy to look and feel credible, or that you have not discovered building methods that let you build them light enough to be benign?

(serious question, no trolling)
Old 03-19-2011, 01:11 PM
Experten109/40
My Feedback: (-1)

ORIGINAL: perttime

Are you guys saying that an R/C warbird must be built héavy to look and feel credible, or that you have not discovered building methods that let you build them light enough to be benign?

(serious question, no trolling)
well yah.. warbirds arn't 3D flyin' extra 300's yah know.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:19 PM
LDM

That is a great comment . I am building an Fw190 that typically comes in at 17 to 19lbs , I have it fully loaded with retracts all around , interior , air powered canopy , pilot ect at 15lbs .
My point is that many of them(kits ) come in very heavy , regardless of your building skill . Many arfs that are not designed properly are really bag when finsihed .
Example , the KMP Typhoon original verison needed 5lbs to achieve CG , that is a 19 pound model published in man magizine vs the box published weight of 14lbs .
So what could the author have done ? MOve the servos forward in the fuse , move the wing servos ahead of the CG by building servos bozes and turning the servos on there side , useed a larger engine then the one selected and got rid of the KMP wheels that are way to heavy .
I also build the red box P40 , (dream to fly ) Gold Edition (really challenge me because I did not build it light enought ) Pica 1/6 P40 a dream because I hollowed everything out .
So to answer your question , no we do know how to build them light , but many of them have higher then normal wing loading .
Old 03-19-2011, 01:59 PM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: Experten109/40
well yah.. warbirds arn't 3D flyin' extra 300's yah know.
Sure. But is your's heavy because it NEEDS to be heavy, or because you cannot build it light?

I've been watching a scratch build on a local forum. The guy cannot tolerate harsh chemicals so he is working on another electric foamy (sort of ). One concern has been that if it ends up too light it won't look right when there's much wind. At least the latex paint is heavy...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61668.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	1581067   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75769.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	1581068   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48906.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	225.8 KB
ID:	1581069  
Old 03-19-2011, 02:05 PM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: LDM

That is a great comment . I am building an Fw190 that typically comes in at 17 to 19lbs , I have it fully loaded with retracts all around , interior , air powered canopy , pilot ect at 15lbs .
My point is that many of them(kits ) come in very heavy , regardless of your building skill . Many arfs that are not designed properly are really bag when finsihed .
Example , the KMP Typhoon original verison needed 5lbs to achieve CG , that is a 19 pound model published in man magizine vs the box published weight of 14lbs .
So what could the author have done ? MOve the servos forward in the fuse , move the wing servos ahead of the CG by building servos bozes and turning the servos on there side , useed a larger engine then the one selected and got rid of the KMP wheels that are way to heavy .
I also build the red box P40 , (dream to fly ) Gold Edition (really challenge me because I did not build it light enought ) Pica 1/6 P40 a dream because I hollowed everything out .
So to answer your question , no we do know how to build them light , but many of them have higher then normal wing loading .

Top Flite has now 3 nice giant warbird ARFS, the first was the P51, then the P-47, and now the P-40. I have to think they are way lighter than the kit-built versions (I could be mistaken). Do you know if they are any lighter?

Gerry

Old 03-19-2011, 02:39 PM
dasquirrelisme
My Feedback: (81)

just checking in too see if we all found out what warbirds are...can we get an answer before the end of the weekend please?
Old 03-19-2011, 03:20 PM
TimT2000

ORIGINAL: GerKonig

ORIGINAL: cannonball200

Kahloq;

You don't win this one, sorry. If you will re-read this it tells you the J-3 and Civil Air Patrol was taken over by the government to be part of the armed forces and part of the war machine. All of the yellow J-3 Cub's were not painted green.

This Piper J-3 represents the contributions of the Civil Air Patrol (CAP) to the U.S. Air Force. The CAP was organized on Dec. 1, 1941, under the Office of Civilian Defense and in 1943 was transferred to the War Department. During World War II, CAP members flying their personal aircraft, such as the J-3, hunted for enemy submarines along the U.S. coasts, reported damaged ships, towed aerial targets, and delivered high priority orders of vital war materials.

Here are pictures and they are ''yellow'' J-3 Cub's...,,,,.....
Thanks,

Well, if it was operated by the armed forces, and is not in activity, by definition this cub it is a warbird. Funny, each person (RC pilots) seem to have a different definition in mind. Quite frankly, the only thing that matters is that the organizer of the event you will fly at does not object. If I cover a WWI Taube blue (because I had the covering and/or because I like the color) most likely they will let me fly it at a wabird meet. Of course, at a scale contest, it would be a different story. I have seen J-2 cubs of all colors (inlcuding yellow) at all warbirds meets I attended:-) Nobody ever objected. For me, this hobby is all about having fun. And is someone wants to fly a F-15, F-16 o Raptor at a warbird meet I have no problem because there I never met an airplane I do not like:-)

Now, if you ask for the definition of the term "warbird" I would stick to the definition of the EEAA

Happy landings

Gerry

BS,, I do not believe this. Cannonball200 will be bringing the yellow ones into the light. Probably at warbirds over OK. I have never seen a yellow cub
at any warbird event. But he will change this I am sure.

Tim

Old 03-19-2011, 04:22 PM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: TimT2000

Kahloq;

You don't win this one, sorry. If you will re-read this it tells you the J-3 and Civil Air Patrol was taken over by the government to be part of the armed forces and part of the war machine. All of the yellow J-3 Cub's were not painted green.

This Piper J-3 represents the contributions of the Civil Air Patrol (CAP) to the U.S. Air Force. The CAP was organized on Dec. 1, 1941, under the Office of Civilian Defense and in 1943 was transferred to the War Department. During World War II, CAP members flying their personal aircraft, such as the J-3, hunted for enemy submarines along the U.S. coasts, reported damaged ships, towed aerial targets, and delivered high priority orders of vital war materials.

Thanks,

Well, if it was operated by the armed forces, and is not in activity, by definition this cub it is a warbird. Funny, each person (RC pilots) seem to have a different definition in mind. Quite frankly, the only thing that matters is that the organizer of the event you will fly at does not object. If I cover a WWI Taube blue (because I had the covering and/or because I like the color) most likely they will let me fly it at a wabird meet. Of course, at a scale contest, it would be a different story. I have seen J-2 cubs of all colors (inlcuding yellow) at all warbirds meets I attended:-) Nobody ever objected. For me, this hobby is all about having fun. And is someone wants to fly a F-15, F-16 o Raptor at a warbird meet I have no problem because there I never met an airplane I do not like:-)

Now, if you ask for the definition of the term ''warbird'' I would stick to the definition of the EEAA

Happy landings

Gerry

BS,, I do not believe this. [img][/img] Cannonball200 will be bringing the yellow ones into the light. Probably at warbirds over OK. I have never seen a yellow cub

Tim

OK, OK, I confess, I am slightly colorblind. Maybe the cub in thir row is gree, gray or blue. Hard to say (Warbirds over Imalayastown, NJ)

Gerry

Name:	Sq46318.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	1581110  
Old 03-19-2011, 04:27 PM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: TimT2000

Kahloq;

Thanks,

Now, if you ask for the definition of the term ''warbird'' I would stick to the definition of the EEAA

Happy landings

Gerry

BS,, I do not believe this. [img][/img] Cannonball200 will be bringing the yellow ones into the light. Probably at warbirds over OK. I have never seen a yellow cub

Tim

Warbirds over Delaware, a lot of blue, green or gray cubs (remember I am slightly color blind) The German pilot is strange-looking. Crazy Germans!

Gerry

Name:	Jh15414.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	194.6 KB
ID:	1581117   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ie97872.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	1581118  
Old 03-19-2011, 04:38 PM
TimT2000

Wow,, those were Warbird only events? Must be New England ! I am corrected!

Thanks for the pics.

Tim

Old 03-19-2011, 05:03 PM
GerKonig

One more:-) Warbirds over Quakertown PA. No yellow j-3, but you will recognize the wings on the floor:-) Maybe the guy with the machine gun knows what happened...
The other picture shows the real thing. Above, a B-17, and the short older gentlemen talking was a real B-17 gunner over Europe. Even my grandson (8 year old) was fascinated by his narration...

Gerry

Name:	Ki18070.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	1581133   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50051.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	1581134  
Old 03-19-2011, 05:13 PM
bjor

In all honesty this thread is what is broken with RCU and why other RC websites are becoming so much more active . RCU initial creation I assumed was to inform , share , educate , instruct , and enjoy the hobby of RC planes . This thread while totally appropriate in a forum of full scale planes and while totally enjoyed by RC pilots who love warbirds serves no purpose in an RC warbird forum .
Firsty - the thread was started on RCU because - despite some confusion amoungst the warbird fraternity - we are still talking about RC planes here.

If the question was posed on whats an RC warbird , more value on wing loading , flying characteristics ect could be gained .
Again , no offence and yes we live in the USA and freedom of speech earned by warbirds is what this country was built on , but again it serves no value in RC warbird formum
O/K. I'm thinking that after 8 pages of "discussion" we may finally be getting somewhere (well not really, but.............) - then along comes this classic statement.
So LDM, are you saying - if it looks like a warbird, smells like a warbird, has all the markings of a warbird etc - it is NOT a warbird unless it's flight charastics are like a full size warbird.
That leaves out all the VQ and Hanger 9 stuff.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:36 PM
cannonball200
My Feedback: (36)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

TimT2000;

Yes I will be taking the "yellow" J-3 Cub to the Oklahoma Warbirds event and others. It will have the Civil Air Patrol markings on it just like back in WWII days. We'll have our regular flight attendents with us also (picture below).
Thanks,

Name:	Tr49878.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	1581157   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67443.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	1581158  
Old 03-19-2011, 06:06 PM
MFLOOD3800
My Feedback: (51)

warbird, is itt the same as a military plane or are these different? I believe a warbird is a military plane for sure, but not convinced a military plane is a warbird.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:36 PM
hellcat56
My Feedback: (21)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been a CD at many warbird flyin
A j-3 cub is a far different cry from an extra 300
There has never been a discussion at my events of what is or is not a warbird
everyone just knows
I repeat my statement If you have to ask if your plane is a warbird
It probably is not
for you guys who want a definition
I consider a warbird to be any plane used by any country in the military to be a awarbird from 1903 to 2011

as to the discussion about weight have you ever heard the term "Heavy Metal" they are called that because they are heavy planes
j-3 properly covered are warbirds
Extra 300 should be flown in events for Extera 300
and if you dont like that build a warbird and enter a warbird event everyone will be happy to see you
Old 03-19-2011, 07:42 PM
Flak

LDM,
I did not understand your reply, but OK, whatever. I'm all for our model aircraft being made more user friendly. The old Top Flite Red and Yellow box Warbird kits required a lot of carving. I find scratch building quite enjoyable. My main gripe about ARF's is that one does no know how well the airplane is built, and no building expertise is required. One merely has to follow instructions and assemble. Some folks just don't have time to build.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:22 PM
LDM

Gerry the reports on the Top Flight new ARFs have been fantastic . I have some buds that have both the 90 size and the Giant Scale , nothing but praise for the planes all around !!!
Bjor , I guess in the RC world it can look , smell ect like a warbird but but in the context of how a heavy medal bird feels I would have to defer that questions to the experts .
My assumption is based on my limited experience and let me explane . As you know every newbee including me in year onewants to fly a warbird . As you also know every experienced RC guy will spend countless hours on why that is a bad decision .
Ok , so then we have the ARF revolution , along comes the new generation of Warbirds by Hanger 9 . A P51 , a Corsair , and P47 ect . I had been out of the hobby and I come back , get my skills back with a high wing trainer and go right to the H9 Corsair . I soon learned that this plane was a real cream puff to fly while looking the part for most taiste of a very nice Corsair for an ARF . So the new hanger nine birds redefined the look and expectations of what a warbird could be as far as difficulty and experience in flying .
So now the ARFs evolve even more , and along comes the new KMP planes . Many made the jumo not knowing that for the most part , these would be much heavier in wing loading and have the characterisics of what tradionalist have referred to as "heavy feel" !! Ok , so many can argue " its just not build right " perhaps that is true but that statement can be said for many of scratch build project that was also very heavy .
Bottom line , if you google the definition of a warbird , its really simple " refers to WW2 planes " it was that easy , but if you use the RC world definition -not invented by me and surely heard by so many in this thread , yes it first must look like a warbird , and second it muct feel heavy (not my words , simply surf RCU and you fond tons of examples on these statements .
Old 03-20-2011, 04:13 AM
deatonbt

I could never succeed in intelligibly doing so. But I know it when I see it, and the airplane involved in this case is not that.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:22 AM
GerKonig

Gerry the reports on the Top Flight new ARFs have been fantastic . I have some buds that have both the 90 size and the Giant Scale , nothing but praise for the planes all around !!!
Bjor , I guess in the RC world it can look , smell ect like a warbird but but in the context of how a heavy medal bird feels I would have to defer that questions to the experts .
My assumption is based on my limited experience and let me explane . As you know every newbee including me in year onewants to fly a warbird . As you also know every experienced RC guy will spend countless hours on why that is a bad decision .
Ok , so then we have the ARF revolution , along comes the new generation of Warbirds by Hanger 9 . A P51 , a Corsair , and P47 ect . I had been out of the hobby and I come back , get my skills back with a high wing trainer and go right to the H9 Corsair . I soon learned that this plane was a real cream puff to fly while looking the part for most taiste of a very nice Corsair for an ARF . So the new hanger nine birds redefined the look and expectations of what a warbird could be as far as difficulty and experience in flying .
So now the ARFs evolve even more , and along comes the new KMP planes . Many made the jumo not knowing that for the most part , these would be much heavier in wing loading and have the characterisics of what tradionalist have referred to as ''heavy feel'' !! Ok , so many can argue '' its just not build right '' perhaps that is true but that statement can be said for many of scratch build project that was also very heavy .
Bottom line , if you google the definition of a warbird , its really simple '' refers to WW2 planes '' it was that easy , but if you use the RC world definition -not invented by me and surely heard by so many in this thread , yes it first must look like a warbird , and second it muct feel heavy (not my words , simply surf RCU and you fond tons of examples on these statements .

I was looking at the ESM D3A1 Val Dive Bomber 81" ARF. With fixed landing gear, and price of around $320 with a wing loading of 32, it looks like it would fly "light". They also have a big corsair that has to be way lighter than any kit builf top Lite (1/5 scale). I disagree that only WWII airplanes are "Warbirds" I go by the full scale community definition of Warbird. Heck they not onlyhave an organization with that name, there are contests, etc. Remember, after all, we are building models of the real thing:-) Besides, The 1/4 scale Fokker DVIII I am working on is (for most) a legit "Warbird".

Gerry
Pictured below, my current "warbird"

Name:	Eb87099.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	1581340   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76949.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	215.7 KB
ID:	1581341  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.