Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 67 of 112 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,675 of 2799

Thread: ESM FW D-9

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: ESM FW D-9

Thanks Frank,
    It's good to see your ESM D9.  I know you were working on it for a while.  Looks nice.  I flew my ESM A8 several times.  Once in the air if flys well but it is a bear on landing and takoff due to being so heavy.  I've had a couple Prangs so I think I'm going to retire it.  It just isn't a whole lot of fun to fly.  Looks pretty though...

I was curious if the XYZ 53 would fit in the Holman D9 but Ram thinks that it is too wide and would stick out too much.  I'm sure he is right.  I could enlarge the cowl but the Holman is slightly smaller so after enlarging it, I doubt it would look very scale.

J
    Flying:
    P-40E 80"
    Bendix Special
    MilPoke - Self designed Frankenplane

Building: ESM FW-190 D9 Bash
    I wanna list: Fliteskin TA-152C, Holman D9

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Dowmer

OK...Β* Any recommendation for a motor that will work well in both the ESM and the Holman D9 that will fit in the cowl?

J
    I originally placed a Moki 2.10 in my Holman. I really don't know any other better options that would work for both planes. The DLE doesn't stick out horribly. I’d post pics but it’s at a friends in his garage awaiting color.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ca81842.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	1840997   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Us53361.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	1840998  
    "IF" I'd stop staring at them, I'd get more done to them.
    Platt FW190, Holman FW190, Meister FW190, SIST FW190, TF FW190.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Ram, I suppose if you can live with it, so can I.  I think Invertmast had a 3W50 in his as well.

J
    Flying:
    P-40E 80"
    Bendix Special

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Invertmast had a Evolution 770 Radial in his Holman. I think he's sold the plane with out the engine.
    BobH.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Bob, I thought he had the radial in the Holman A8?  Beautiful piece of work though.

J
    Flying:
    P-40E 80"
    Bendix Special

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It was gutless with the radial so he opted for a 2 stroke single. I nearly bought the plane from him last time he had it listed with the radial. Its hard to get a smaller radial with enough power for a scale model. The Saito 450 3cyl is probably one of the best choices.
    Like a midget in a urinal I knew I had to stay on my toes...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Stick Looking great mate!

Didn't even realise that yours was up and flying[X(] What weight did it come in at. I've been flying mine for about 2 seasons now and am thinking it's high time I pull her in and finish everything I had planned for her. Detailing and a new paint job was very high on the list, but no point if I don't glass the wing, but I was a little concerned at how much weight I would be adding. I just love the way it flies now, and dont want that to change.

Due to being in Syd for a month on a course and then the usual christmas disruptions, I think it's been nearly 3 months since I last flew my Dora[]

Thanks

dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Frank,
    It's good to see your ESM D9.Β* I know you were working on it for a while.Β* Looks nice.Β* I flew my ESM A8 several times.Β* Once in the air if flys well but it is a bear on landing and takoff due to being so heavy.Β* I've had a coupleΒ*Prangs so I think I'm going to retire it.Β* It just isn't a whole lot of fun to fly.Β* Looks pretty though...

I was curious if the XYZ 53 would fit inΒ*the Holman D9 but Ram thinks that it is too wide and would stick out too much.Β* I'm sure he is right.Β* I could enlarge the cowl but the Holman is slightly smaller so after enlarging it, I doubt it would look very scale.

J
    I've owned the holman dora as well, and have to agree with Ram, it's at least 1-2" smaller than the ESM cowl. Mine is a super tight fit with no slots, but I did some funky work on the spark plug caps to make it work for me.

Thanks

dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Dave,
    Its too bad, I love the way the XYZ looks and performs in your plane. Maybe I'll just get the ESM with the XYZ and the Holman with a G45 or cut it up a little with a DLE 55RA. I'm sure Ram would agree that you can never have enough Darkside planes to balance out the scores of Mustangs and Jugs. To be honest, I think Ram has a little bit of a Luftwaffe fetish..lol

J
    Flying:
    P-40E 80"
    Bendix Special

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Chris, actually the plane flew ok with the Radial. Could it have used more power.. sure but I watched his maiden etc and it look decent, sorta scale like but NO reserve power thats for sure!

I think he did sell it recently, finally. Thomas did an excellent job on the plane.. no doubt about it.
    BobH.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Dave,
    Its too bad, I love the way the XYZ looks and performs in your plane.Β* Maybe I'll just get the ESM with the XYZ and the Holman with a G45 or cut it up a little with a DLE 55RA.Β* I'm sure Ram would agree that you can never have enough Darkside planes to balance out the scores of Mustangs and Jugs.Β* To be honest, I think Ram has a little bit of a Luftwaffe fetish..lol[img][/img]

J
    Just a little..lmao.. I've been in " Fuftwaffe AA" meetings and I'm slowly progressing..I was told that; building something different would help. So here she is..or will be.

Name:	Us52914.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	1841075  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Do you know G-Pete from Texas? Looks very similar to his captured P-47 he showcased at Warbirds over the Rockies a few years ago. Sadly, he has moved on and no longer is really active in r/c...more into cars now.
    Along the same lines, I have an old spitfire in german markings, so I guess the "Fuftwaffw AA" is wondering where Im at.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've heard of him. This is a motovational picture.. I've all the components to build mine.

ORIGINAL: ticketec

Hey Stick Looking great mate!

Didn't even realise that yours was up and flying[X(] What weight did it come in at. I've been flying mine for about 2 seasons now and am thinking it's high time I pull her in and finish everything I had planned for her. Detailing and a new paint job was very high on the list, but no point if I don't glass the wing, but I was a little concerned at how much weight I would be adding. I just love the way it flies now, and dont want that to change.

Due to being in Syd for a month on a course and then the usual christmas disruptions, I think it's been nearly 3 months since I last flew my Dora[]

Thanks

dave
    Dave
    Hung her up and weighed her comes out at 26.5 lbs or 12kg manual says 20.9 lbs but ive never seen anyone get near what a manual says would be interested to know what yours came in at and others that are flying. The reason I glassed the wings and stab was to allow me to burn rivets in later this involved filling the lower open panels in the wing.

Cheers Frank
    If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'t be done.\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Kahlog, Ram
    I agree, the German Captured A/C at the field really turn heads for a double take. Would it be considered a loophole for your AA meetings?

How about a FW-190 D9 in USAF or Russian colors that were used for test and evaluation after the war.
    Check out this website for Captured Ally aircraft by the Germans. P-38, P-40s etc???
    http://www.luftwaffe-experten.org/forums/index.php?s=7f3b35752b8ec6c1dac85d14c8fef119&showf orum=51

Kahlog, I think you posted this pic on another forum a while back. Interesting....

Or this one of a P-38 I've even heard of captured F4U Corsairs, however, I dont think there are any pictures.

J

Name:	Sq47497.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	1841286   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zv67206.jpg 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	1841287  
    Flying:
    P-40E 80"
    Bendix Special

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm actually considering a Russian captured D9

Name:	Jh14901.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	1841306   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pk30057.jpg 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	1841307  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Uggggh. Horrifying is all Ive got to say. No german plane looks right in russian or US markings. Thats just plain wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hey ram when you put your esm d-9 together what size wheels did you put on it. thanks.?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mike. Glennis 5-1/4

Kahlog..HilariousI was just curious.. It's still a FW..lmao

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Dave ticketec

whats the funky work on the spark plug caps ?

i have been thinking to get more clearance
    @ putting on 120 degree spark plug caps
    @ 10mm to 1/4-32 spare plug adaptors and change the caps & plugs

let us in on what you have sorted please....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Ramstein44

Mike. Glennis 5-1/4

Kahlog..HilariousI was just curious.. It's still a FW..lmao
    I had actually planned originally on making my b-17 a german captured scheme, but, after mentioning that to some of the peeps at the field, I got the feeling it would really upset people. For some reason, they can accept a p-47 or a p-51 or spitfire in german markings, but do it to the b-17 and they get really pissed off. So...instead...I did it in the markings of one that was shotdown over Germany during the war. What was ironic was the first time I brought it to WOTR, there was a crewman from that actual plane attending. When he saw the plane he just gave me a big fat hug and said thank you.
    So that was worth it in the end.

Name:	Ca82533.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	138.2 KB 
ID:	1841554  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: G T

Hi Dave ticketec

whats the funky work on the spark plug caps ?

i have been thinking to get more clearance
    @ putting on 120 degree spark plug caps
    @ 10mm to 1/4-32 spare plug adaptors and change the caps & plugs

let us in on what you have sorted please....
    Hey Mate,

What I did was firstly pull the metal shrouds from the cap off so I could modify the lip around the outside edge. So instead of the two halfs butting up to each other, they slide past one another. This alone gave me 5mm each side, which doesn's sound like alot, but that's how close we are talking about. When mounting the cowl, I also slightly pushed out around the spark plug caps. Not that the cowl is unduely stressed, but rather any extra material/space is around the plug heads. The model has been flying for 2 "seasons" now, (well, we don't really have seasons in Brissy, year round flying!!) and no problems at all!

Thanks

dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

About ready to start assembling the 190. Has anyone done anything in regards to beefing up the landing gear area? Saw someone with an ESM Spitfire put the gear through the top of the wing on a harder than normal landing. Landing was a bit hard but not to the point to pop the gear out. Was considering glassing the gear area before beginning the build.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: FSFLYER

About ready to start assembling the 190. Has anyone done anything in regards to beefing up the landing gear area? Saw someone with an ESM Spitfire put the gear through the top of the wing on a harder than normal landing. Landing was a bit hard but not to the point to pop the gear out. Was considering glassing the gear area before beginning the build.
    Mine has about 40 odd flights on it now and I haven't had any trouble with them at all. I did tare one leg out in an out field landing I had due to fuel starvation (ie ran out of fuel ) and it was a little dry under there, but that just mean that it caused very little damage when it did come out. I glued it back in properly and it's been perfect ever since.

to be totally honest, I personally would waste the time or the weight. If your looking to fly this sized model Im assuming you are fairly competent at landing, so no need.

Thanks

dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That's a good point. Maybe the landing gear plate is a break away point. There could be more damage if the entire area were beefed up. Would be interesting to experiment with various size plastic hardware, 10-32, 8-32, to see if the screws would shear before the plate.

I think the guy with the Spitfire got it too slow and plopped it in. What are the landing characterisics of this plane. I've read something on here that it's a a floater and a bit difficult to slow down for landing. This will be my first warplane. Seen a lot of them at the local field and it seems that slowing them down for landing leads to problems. Maybe keep power up and do a wheel landing rather than stalling it in?

Page 67 of 112 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast