Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM FW D-9

Old 11-28-2011, 12:12 AM
dvs1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ESM FW D-9

Looking good Dave! That reminds me I need to do the hand holds in my dash as well.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:50 AM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Been getting a little more progress made, but inbetween 2 exams next week and an assignment due the following, it's a little hard going trying to find the time. I thought I'd finished with studying years ago[&o]

I have also been working on a new set of instrument faces to go into the dials because I wasn't keen on the US type instruments ty! Photoshopping them takes a while....

Thanks

dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58123.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	1693760   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32502.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	1693761  
Old 12-02-2011, 01:21 AM
ticketec

Got the instruments done. So I printed those on some photo paper with witness marks. Those are for the vinyl cutter which uses them as reference and then I can get it to cut out all the instruments! I also used the same cut path to cout out some clear sticker material so that my instruments would have th "glass in front" look.

Hope to be going to my first big warbird event with theDora on sunday so I better get cracking!

Thanks

dave

Name:	Wu62021.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	1694062   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10544.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	1694063  
Old 12-02-2011, 06:05 AM
kwik

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It is a very good idea to use the vinyl cutter. I have one myself, and tons of white ABS plastic sheets, bought by mistake.

Will soon experiment and see if I can cut the ABS sheets with it.

If I can, I think I will start cutting out the complete instrument panel with all the holes, and maybe the small "circle-edges" too.

If this can be done....I am in a completely different situation regarding instrument panels!
Old 12-02-2011, 07:04 AM
Whistling Death

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: kwik

It is a very good idea to use the vinyl cutter. I have one myself, and tons of white ABS plastic sheets, bought by mistake.

Will soon experiment and see if I can cut the ABS sheets with it.

If I can, I think I will start cutting out the complete instrument panel with all the holes, and maybe the small ''circle-edges'' too.

If this can be done....I am in a completely different situation regarding instrument panels!
How think are the ABS sheets?
Old 12-02-2011, 07:34 PM
ticketec

I used 0.005" everygreen plastic, becuase my machine handles it fine, I have cut 0.010" with it but it was a little more work for it, and i've run out!

It would be pretty hard to make good instrument bezels because they would need to be pretty thick to look convincing. and I don't know that most vinyl cutters would be able to handle the thickness required. Not saying it's not possible, but in my experiments it's easier to buy them and use the vinyl cutter to add details. As you can see in the pic's, I have added the luggauge compartment to the back of the cockpit and have painted it all up in the RLM66 and a lighten version to add some depth.

Building the cockpit into a model that's already finished add an element of difficulty as well. all the bits need to go in and out from the top, and there is a fiar bit less room to work with....

Thanks

dave

Name:	By76193.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	1694471   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65715.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	1694472   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61550.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	1694473   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx66177.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	1694474   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kv16675.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	1694475  
Old 12-03-2011, 06:39 AM
P47Pilot

ORIGINAL: ticketec

I used 0.005" everygreen plastic, becuase my machine handles it fine, I have cut 0.010" with it but it was a little more work for it, and i've run out!

It would be pretty hard to make good instrument bezels because they would need to be pretty thick to look convincing. and I don't know that most vinyl cutters would be able to handle the thickness required. Not saying it's not possible, but in my experiments it's easier to buy them and use the vinyl cutter to add details. As you can see in the pic's, I have added the luggauge compartment to the back of the cockpit and have painted it all up in the RLM66 and a lighten version to add some depth.

Building the cockpit into a model that's already finished add an element of difficulty as well. all the bits need to go in and out from the top, and there is a fiar bit less room to work with....

Thanks

dave

Nice! I am afraid you are bit more ambitious than I am with mine, but I will see what I can pull off.....

Meanwhile, Hauptmann Wuebke has been reunited with his ship!

Name:	Mj24295.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	1694638  
Old 12-03-2011, 08:26 AM
Whistling Death

I used 0.005'' everygreen plastic, becuase my machine handles it fine, I have cut 0.010'' with it but it was a little more work for it, and i've run out!

Thanks

dave
That is good to know. I have cut .008" sandblast mask with my cutter and it didn't like it too well because it has stepper motors instead of servo motors. I think .005" will do OK though. I need a better cutter but the one I want would set me back once nice airplane or two small ones.

Two questions:
1. Did you leave a small leg on it, a tiny piece of material to hold the part as it get becomes separated from the stock, or did you just let the parts drop off?
2. Did you use a 60° blades for the think material or the normal 45° blades.

For thickness you could just cut multiple pieces and stack them. It would take a little fidgeting to get them together but it could be done.
Man I love the idea of using a vinyl cutter to make cockpit parts!
Old 12-03-2011, 08:43 AM
kwik

Your cockpit looks very nice, Ticketec!

I have that Craft Robo machine. .005" ??? Ouch, that is very thin.

My ABS sheets are 1.15 mm or 0.045" . So there goes that idea down the drain.

The longest knife is 0.3 mm. ( 0.011")

Okay.[]

I need a small box, with a magic laser inside, and a USB connection to my PC. Put ABS sheets inside,
click MakeIt button on PC, and voila, instrument panel finished.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:32 AM
ticketec

I have the Craft Robo 2 [8D]

0.005" is quite thin but it's enough to make the details very visable. For the Artificial horizon I stacked 3 of the rings together to make it a bit thicker, but it's alittle more difficult that you would think! some shapes would be better than others. I think that it could cut 0.010" well enough to use, but I had to have the maximum pressure setting and had to make it do a double pass. 0.005" plastic is very easy to get from most LHS, especially those that deal with plastic models.

The trick is to get a machine with more pressure capabilities, but from what I have been looking at, they are much larger phisically and $$$$.

WD, I used the stock blades which I think are just 45 degree ones. I haven't seen too many options for the craftrobo. I didn't cut a leg on anything pretty much because most items tend to stay with the parent material quite well, and if they pop out, it's no biggy.

But will all these minus's about the thinkness of plastic used, It a fantastic tool to have for detailing!!! I can't believe how much I have used mine in the 9 or so months that I have had it. I have made the cost of the machine back well and truely just doing job for other people![8D]

I now have 12 flights on her and she hasn't missed a beat. I have some video from this weekend's flying that i'll edit and post up in the next week after by big exam tomorrow and then another 2 days after that![] who knew that Air Legislation could be so tedious

Thanks

Dave
Old 12-05-2011, 04:05 AM
kwik

Looking very much forward to your video, Dave!
Old 12-05-2011, 11:57 PM
ticketec

ORIGINAL: kwik

Looking very much forward to your video, Dave!

Thanks mate, not sure how I went in the exam today seeing as my study notes only covered about 60% of what as actually on the exam[X(][] I knew some of it but we'll see how we go.

Anyway, to make me feel a little better I've spent the afternoon editing the video instead of studing for the next exam the day after tomorrow

It's uploading as we speak but it will be here when it's done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J383U00DYFQ

Thanks

dave
Old 12-06-2011, 11:01 AM
ticketec

you tube was uploading so slowing that I cracked it and put it a draft up on Vimeo.

I'll finish uploading it to you tube later for those that dont like vimeo, but i have to fix the trasitions that are changing aspect ratios on me[&:]

http://vimeo.com/33210524

Thanks

dave
Old 12-06-2011, 11:32 AM
Ramstein44
My Feedback: (157)

Nice video.. After a second, I was wondering if the sound was coming fro those dragonflies.lol how I envy those that are flying now![&o] the weather has gone to crap here and is way to cold to be standing outside trying to fly.

Oh well, when it warms up, I'll have the Dora flying again and the BF109 ready for maiden.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:54 PM
kahloq

you tube was uploading so slowing that I cracked it and put it a draft up on Vimeo.

I'll finish uploading it to you tube later for those that dont like vimeo, but i have to fix the trasitions that are changing aspect ratios on me[&:]

http://vimeo.com/33210524

Thanks

dave
Interesting that you'd use the music from "The Pacific" as background for a luftwaffe plane. Love the plane of course...and I like the music too, just i dunno about together LOL
Old 12-06-2011, 07:33 PM
MANFRED
My Feedback: (27)

How many peeps remember the soundtrack from that show anyways. Outstanding flyer, looks like it has great power too. Nice landing.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:02 PM
BHA59

Hi Guys, thought I’d chime in for a post now that my Dora is on her way, I suspect she came via Dresden as it’s taken a while for this shipment to make it to Oz. But there’s no rush as I’m waiting on an order from VQ to be posted[8D].

The oz importer advised that the spinners will be on their way soon, pre-cut for two or three blade props. Now don’t groan, they may well be coming (and yes, I still believe in Santa Clause)[X(]. I’m down for one and will let you know if/when they arrive.

Cheers Bruce A
Old 12-07-2011, 10:33 PM
ticketec

ORIGINAL: kahloq

Interesting that you'd use the music from ''The Pacific'' as background for a luftwaffe plane. Love the plane of course...and I like the music too, just i dunno about together LOL
Didn't know music had a nationality??[X(] I made the choice based on the emotive qualities of the piece rather than where it came from. but I have to say, nice work picking up it's origins I had to get shazam on it to find it. the band of brothers scores were just a little too sad for what i was after, but I wanted a hollywood blockbuster type "were about to do great things" kind of piece, and the music was pretty close to what i was after so i went with it.

Manfred:

Thanks mate, first time with no wind and a good approach path with the model so i came in flat and a little hotter which produced nice results. I let my flying buddy on the stick for a few minutes and he just loved it.He's got the ESM Hurri, but also commented on how crisp the model felt. very axial in roll, and he said it felt very "sure footed" and inspired a lot of confidence. I think he might wantiee.....

Thanks

dave
Old 12-07-2011, 11:07 PM
kwik

Yes, that was great flying and a great video. And music, me thinks.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:15 PM
P47Pilot

Thanks

dave

Nice flying, ticketec

Judging from your slowrolls, I wouldn't be surprised if you told me you had been doing some pattern flying in your modelling career. Personally, I intendto put this plane through anIMACBasic program for show. It looks as if it will handle it effortlessly.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:03 AM
Brad330l
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: P47Pilot

Thanks

dave

Nice flying, ticketec[img][/img]

Judging from your slowrolls, I wouldn't be surprised if you told me you had been doing some pattern flying in your modelling career. Personally, I intend to put this plane through an IMAC Basic program for show. It looks as if it will handle it effortlessly.

I was thinking that about your flying skills too Dave. Well done. Nice flight and vid.

Cheers,

Brad
Old 12-08-2011, 08:23 AM
Ramstein44

Most people when converting to warbirds consider the Dora first due to it patter like flying qualities. I flew pattern first but found out about this after my first warbird. Arguably the best flying warbird other than the p-47 to me..

Looks like you've got her down. Good job.

Here is another video I found of another maiden. This is going to be a popular bird!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMHRb6WJjfo
Old 12-08-2011, 08:55 AM
Whistling Death

ticketec , didn't you know you're supposed to use the Hogan's Hero's theme when you do a German plane video?
Old 12-08-2011, 09:03 AM
P47Pilot

ORIGINAL: Ramstein44

Here is another video I found of another maiden. This is going to be a popular bird!

The ESM retracts survived the landing, so they must be good!

Old 12-08-2011, 10:23 AM
Ramstein44

ORIGINAL: P47Pilot

ORIGINAL: Ramstein44

The ESM retracts survived the landing, so they must be good! [img][/img]

Yeah and it's also a testimate to the wings strength! I've seen kit builds retracts break right through the wing on similar landings.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.