Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM FW D-9

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 05:52 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Sharing your passion for the FW 190 D series, I would like to recommend a book. It is very obscure, and kind of tricky to find. It is one of the best I have in regards to paint schemes and 3-views. It was created by a plastic model manufacturer. I thought you might be interested in it.

http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/cmk01502.htm
Old 12-23-2014, 06:21 PM
zrooster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
I apologize for the distraction as well.

I was wondering about VQ and who the importer for ESM would be. It was my understanding that Troy built brought them in, but were no longer going to. If you notice on their website they are out of stock on almost all of them.

The FW 190 D9 is a nice model as ESM stuff goes. As I airbrushed the mottling on Katniss's a couple of years ago. The retract mounts may need to be strengthened, unless you can grease your landings every time. If ESM is lost, not sure how an airplane like this can be had without building one.
Bummer! I don't have the fabrication skills to scratch or even kit build, plus I have this full scale mustang build that's been ongoing for a while (more my forte):
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	622.3 KB
ID:	2057364   Click image for larger version

Views:	445
Size:	612.1 KB
ID:	2057365   Click image for larger version

Views:	455
Size:	759.1 KB
ID:	2057366  
Old 12-23-2014, 06:23 PM
zrooster

Sharing your passion for the FW 190 D series, I would like to recommend a book. It is very obscure, and kind of tricky to find. It is one of the best I have in regards to paint schemes and 3-views. It was created by a plastic model manufacturer. I thought you might be interested in it.

http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/cmk01502.htm
Nice resource!
Old 12-23-2014, 06:27 PM
70 ragtop
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow
Lot to catch up on from today, always entertaining.
Have to say, this thing lands like a ***** cat. Put the CG were Dowmer says, and just let it land, don't force the 3 point. It is really very forgiving, and mine didn't seem to care about the approach at all. Long easy approach with power on, vs short final (semi dive/ full flaps), it doesn't seem to care.

I did strengthen my gear mounts, just incase

As far a scale props, I'm looking at options myself. IMHO, the problem with a big scale prop will be the prop acting like a speed brake. Think old Byron Mustangs 24" four blade prop, had to carry power all the way down, or it would slow down way too fast
Old 12-23-2014, 06:37 PM
vertical grimmace

Scale prop discussions seem to be in many threads here in RCU. The big issue is, the engines that fit in these planes, are designed to spin a certain sized prop, which do not tend to be scale! Also, the FW 190 props were big, with a ton of blade width, which adds even more load. It would seem the best option if the prop is the most important factor, us to go electric. The second option if you must have an engine is a reduction drive. The ones on the market really would not fit in the ESM 190 though. That old Byron Purr Powr drive set the engine way back, and still did not seem to provide good power. I saw one of those fly a couple of years ago at the WBOTR. What a funny sounding thing!

Maybe what is needed would be a gear reduction (instead of a belt) that could be made to be more compact. Then possibly a DLE 35 or something could be utilised. There seems to be a lot of demand for scale, flying props, so maybe a solution will be offered at some point. Finding a good prop seems like it would be hard enough, even if you did have a powerplant.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:13 PM
70 ragtop

Yup, agree

Already electric, but the Mick Reeves G-62 reduction should swing a scale prop without any issue (besides fit). I was thinking Vario drive 32 series for a 28" semi scale, variable pitch prop , but at close to $300, I'm still thinking. At that $ level, will be putting a scale prop in my Mustang before this one
Old 12-23-2014, 07:35 PM
70 ragtop

Originally Posted by zrooster
Bummer! I don't have the fabrication skills to scratch or even kit build, plus I have this full scale mustang build that's been ongoing for a while (more my forte):
Nice

Built a few that looked like that! Actually, some might not have been that nice. The things we do to save a numbers car??

67? Bigblock car?
Old 12-23-2014, 08:00 PM
zrooster

Good eye except it was originally a 289 car at the right price. Plan is a crate 427 stroker on a 351 block...ford racing has a nice one, but pricy...looking at other options. Besides that, going modern suspension, power 4 wheel disks, top loader 4 speed, 17" magnums, full length headers into resonators, painless wiring. Nearly everything is being replaced...starting with the floor pans, cowl vents, kick pans and part of the firewall. Glad I've got a buddy that's a welder!
Old 12-24-2014, 09:25 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sweet. Good for you. I am not the one having problems with my landings. As much as full scale relates to model flight, it is an entirely different beast. No benefit of instruments. If your wing never stalls after touchdown, you would continue flying, one of the primary causes of these modelers bouncing, and becoming airborne again, then slapping down, and tearing out their landing gear. Seen it too many times.
Your observation about models and full scale are accurate. Most if not all model aircraft pilots flying conventional gear land on the mains and rarely attempt a three point landing. Flying full scale tail draggers the opposite usually applies. Go on UTube and watch WWII videos' of actual military fighters landing. I had an ESM FW190 and only tried a three point landing once and like so many others it turned into a "pogo stick". Now turn this around to my H9 Super Cub and it is never a problem. It all comes down to wing loading and flying speed.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:42 AM
Katniss

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Vertical.... I think it's safe to say insults were implied from both sides. Can we just dispense with the awkward feud and stop making references to each other ...implied or direct....that make disparaging connotations??
Yes...you helped paint mine... and by watching.. I was able to learn and figure out how to do it, which I've done. I've also helped you with things. Can we just stay on a positive note please?
Old 12-24-2014, 09:52 AM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by Katniss
Vertical.... I think it's safe to say insults were implied from both sides. Can we just dispense with the awkward feud and stop making references to each other ...implied or direct....that make disparaging connotations??
Yes...you helped paint mine... and by watching.. I was able to learn and figure out how to do it, which I've done. I've also helped you with things. Can we just stay on a positive note please?
Agreed. Now go get a high performance sport plane so you can shoot touch and goes over and over to stay sharp! Everything does not have to be a warbird. LOL

Merry X-mas
Old 12-24-2014, 11:08 AM
Katniss

I do have a few....my extra 260 is in storage... ..I don't need touch and go practice on that type of plane.....they are so light wingloading that it doesn't translate at all. I need practice with THIS plane.....spare wing is almost ready....have been busy with social life lately and haven't done much with r/c building. Although...my girlfriend seems to be taking a slight interest in learning....more so probably because I've taken up snowboarding and that's one of her passions and she wants to do things I have liked doing.
Don't worry, I have her on the simulator
Old 12-24-2014, 11:56 AM
vertical grimmace

I practice my landings all the time. Right and left approaches. Over and over and over. It makes a big difference regardless of what you are flying. My Sun fli served me very well last year. The reason I built it was for landing practice. Keeping my depth perception sharp, my orientation with the runways. When I just focused on flying my warbirds all the time, my landings went down hill. I took it along with me to the AMA nationals last summer. It was invaluable there, as I wanted to get used to the runways there. All the practice paid off as I was scoring perfect 10's with the Fokker DVII.

So you know, I will have the TA 152 finished in a month or so. Then you can give me a hard time about poor landings with a large FW 190 type. : )
Old 12-24-2014, 12:03 PM
Dowmer

VG, do you have paint on it yet?
Old 12-24-2014, 12:33 PM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by Dowmer
VG, do you have paint on it yet?

Not yet. Glassing right now. Should have that done within a week or so. Then primer, panel lines and such. It is essentially at the ARF stage right now. : )
Old 12-24-2014, 01:53 PM
Katniss

I'm not going to give you a hard time about landing your TA-152. We're done with giving each other a hard time, right?
Just so you know.. .I sold my house several months ago as my ex is now in Tuscon. I rented a house, but no basement.... so much of my plane inventory is in storage. I've been busy getting things taken care of and spending time with my girlfriend. I've been out to the field maybe 3 times since June. So yeah...I'll need to pull the Extra 260 out of storage when weather gets better again.
Old 12-24-2014, 05:59 PM
zrooster

Originally Posted by flycatch
Your observation about models and full scale are accurate. Most if not all model aircraft pilots flying conventional gear land on the mains and rarely attempt a three point landing. Flying full scale tail draggers the opposite usually applies. Go on UTube and watch WWII videos' of actual military fighters landing. I had an ESM FW190 and only tried a three point landing once and like so many others it turned into a "pogo stick". Now turn this around to my H9 Super Cub and it is never a problem. It all comes down to wing loading and flying speed.
Not to belabor the point, but most current warbird owners prefer to wheel them on...they're rare, expensive and its safer. Different situation "back in the day".
Old 12-24-2014, 06:02 PM
Ramstein44
My Feedback: (157)

Originally Posted by zrooster
Not to belabor the point, but most current warbird owners prefer to wheel them on...they're rare, expensive and its safer. Different situation "back in the day".

+1
Old 12-24-2014, 06:35 PM
vertical grimmace

Keep in mind the models we are discussing here, have a relatively lower wing loading than their full scale counterparts. Leading to a lower stall speed. They need to be dealt with differently. The Top flite FW 190 is very light, and seems to suffer from the same tendencies when too much energy is carried into the final approach. Just because the shape of these models match a full scale airplane, does not mean the landing characteristics are the same. Another example of when comparing full scale issues to model issues.

I do tend to land my FW 190 on it's wheels mostly, but all of my other tail draggers I 3 point. Not sure what the modern policy is on full scale tail dragger landing techniques, but I do know at one time 3 pointing was the preferred method.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:42 PM
Ramstein44
My Feedback: (157)

Vertical, Which FW190 are you flying?
Old 12-24-2014, 06:45 PM
ForcesR

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Full scale warbirds (tail draggers) were designed to land 3 point due to the small horizontal stab surface area. The hoziontal stab gradually began losing lift much sooner than the main wing, this allowed the tail to squat which allowed for 3 point landings. Watch any video of a WWII fighter landing and you will see how the tail begins to squat as the aircraft slows for landing.

RC warbirds are difficult to land 3 point due to the horizontal stab being enlarged 15 to 20% beyond what they actually would be if they were true to full scale size. The main wing on RC models usually loses lift and stalls before the horizontal stab begins losing lift to allow tail squatting and 3 point landings.
Old 12-24-2014, 07:06 PM
Katniss

Originally Posted by Ramstein44
Vertical, Which FW190 are you flying?
I am betting he is referring to his .60 size PICA with Robart gear(I think its got Robart gear in it). The struts aren't nearly as long as scale, but there isn't much room to do something else, although I do not have one so I don't know how its built.
While not in the same class, I have an FMS fw-190A that I use for just fun flying and sometimes touch and go practice...but its super light. It does have scale length gear, but since the wingloading is pretty much non existent, it just is completely easy to land.....on the mains....doesn't like a 3 point. Im sure it could be done though.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:21 PM
thunder21
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by ForcesR
Full scale warbirds (tail draggers) were designed to land 3 point due to the small horizontal stab surface area. The hoziontal stab gradually began losing lift much sooner than the main wing, this allowed the tail to squat which allowed for 3 point landings. Watch any video of a WWII fighter landing and you will see how the tail begins to squat as the aircraft slows for landing.

RC warbirds are difficult to land 3 point due to the horizontal stab being enlarged 15 to 20% beyond what they actually would be if they were true to full scale size. The main wing on RC models usually loses lift and stalls before the horizontal stab begins losing lift to allow tail squatting and 3 point landings.
While a lot depends on the CG relative to the center of lift, most warbirds have a forward CG and require slight negative (downward) lift at the tail to keep the wing from pitching down. If the tail stalls, the wing pitches down and stalls.

http://www.nar-associates.com/techni...web_screen.pdf
Old 12-24-2014, 09:31 PM
vertical grimmace

My Pica, all be it a smaller model, has scale length struts. The length of the struts actually have an important role in the 3 point landing. If designed correctly, the angle at which the mains and tail touch, is also the optimum angle that the wing should be, at the appropriate airspeed for the wing to stall. All of this is in the design of the aircraft.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:09 PM
Katniss

My Pica, all be it a smaller model, has scale length struts. The length of the struts actually have an important role in the 3 point landing. If designed correctly, the angle at which the mains and tail touch, is also the optimum angle that the wing should be, at the appropriate airspeed for the wing to stall. All of this is in the design of the aircraft.
I didnt realize the struts were the right length on your Pica...sorry. For some reason I thought they were a bit too short....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.