Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM FW D-9

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 08:06 PM
Dowmer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These ARFs do seem to be getting scarce. Are they still making them?

Here's a few pics of mine I've been been adding detail to after a pilot error on T/O.
It just gave me a chance to do some detail I've been wanting to do anyway. I re-vamped the working cowl flaps. Version III now. This ARF is a lot of fun touching up. The rivet detail goes over the iron on film just fine and the paint sticks well too. Eventually, I'll strip off the last of the covering and glass the wings but right now it's working OK. I'm just about to start painting a new JG26 scheme with the blue-green RLM 84 base and the yellow tail similar to Dortenmann's.

Here's a pic of what it looked like before the accident. BTW ZRooster, I ended up using 1/4 inch 5 ply AC ply for the new firewall. The existing firewall was Chinese ply and shattered when it nosed over. I have a lot of experience bashing and modifying this kit if you have any questions. It's a great flyer however as everyone else can testify.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	2062852   Click image for larger version

Views:	407
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	2062853   Click image for larger version

Views:	383
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	2062854   Click image for larger version

Views:	382
Size:	797.7 KB
ID:	2062855  
Old 01-10-2015, 09:24 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

zrooster,

Having flown many disciplines of competition model aircraft from Cl -combat, stunt, racing, and r/c combat, racing, and scale warbirds, I have a lot of experience in prop selection. What I have found, is for a given aircraft, there are no more than (generally) 2 prop choices that will give the best performance. Not having the benefit of feathering props, as in full scale, we must choose the best overall compromise. Invariably, there is pretty much one prop that will be the best. It is also important to use the best brand. By this I mean there are some prop brands that are far and away better than others. And this also depends on the types of engines. For smaller glow APC is the clear winner,. When you get into these big, powerful gas engines, you need blades that will not flex out of their pitch. Thankfully there are not a ton of choices here either. Which will help you to narrow things down quickly. Vess, Xoar, and Meszlik are the winners here. There may be a couple of other brands that some swear by, but you can count on those 3 to be very good. The Carbon props do seem to be the best, especially being favorites with the IMAC/3 D crowd, but they are very expensive, and unless you can grease your landings every time, they may not be practical. (unless you have deep pockets)
Have you found any 3 blade candidates yet? That market is very narrow, and especially anything that will be close to scale.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:25 PM
Ramstein44
My Feedback: (157)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard through several reliable manufacturing sources that these ESM ARF's will soon be a thing of the past.TBM an several others aren't getting shipments and back orders will not be filled. I got an email from a friend that mentions another company stating the same thing but they are going to be producing their own warbirds and have just released a pre-order Spitfire. hopefully a FW 190 will be in the works.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:31 PM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by Ramstein44
I've heard through several reliable manufacturing sources that these ESM ARF's will soon be a thing of the past.TBM an several others aren't getting shipments and back orders will not be filled. I got an email from a friend that mentions another company stating the same thing but they are going to be producing their own warbirds and have just released a pre-order Spitfire. hopefully a FW 190 will be in the works.
Hmmm...I wonder what will happen with VQwarbirds?
Old 01-10-2015, 10:59 PM
Ramstein44

Hopefully nothing and we'll have a reliable distributer but time will tell. ..

Last edited by Ramstein44; 01-10-2015 at 11:07 PM.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:19 PM
70 ragtop
My Feedback: (24)

Looks great Dowmer!

Seems like they priced them selves right out of contention, plus the lack of spares and support. If you're going to spend that kind of money on an ARF, I'd buy Hangar 9 or Topflite. At least there, if something is wrong, or dumb thimbs get you, Tower, LHS, HH will have spares and support to make it right. I've had a wing backordered for the Anton since 9/2013, and needed a replacement center section (defective) for a Tigercat since Thanksgiving 2013. When I call, get the old we'll call you when we get something.

With that kind of service, the higher prices, no spares, and no quality improvements, I'm not surprised they're going away. When they were priced right, I personally didn't mind fixing some of the shortcomings. Getting no replacement for a defect wing, and no spares was the end of ESM for me, never mind the prices
Old 01-11-2015, 12:23 PM
vertical grimmace

The guys that have or have had ESM models at my club say they would never buy another one, from all of the work it takes to get one flying, and the poor quality. The New 60cc Mustang from HH is not getting good reviews either by the guys receiving them. Quality and price increases hitting the ARF world hard.
Old 01-11-2015, 02:57 PM
vertical grimmace

Zrooster, Magnum is showing the D9 in stock. Might wanna jump on it if they got one. They have 3 bladed props too. http://www.magnumrc.com/ESM-FW-190-D...825_p_308.html
Old 01-11-2015, 04:09 PM
Dowmer

I've had several ESM and I'd almost call them more of a kit than an ARF when it comes to work. Typical quality isn't too bad but it depends on the plane. I agree with you Ragtop. Once they started raising prices I started asking myself if they were really worth it. Initially for the price it was. Some of their planes were very scale for an ARF. I guess if you really want a scale Warbird you just have to invest some time and build one. The big boys anyhow. Plenty of smaller ones on the market.

grimmace, how's the TA coming along?
Old 01-11-2015, 04:15 PM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by Dowmer
I've had several ESM and I'd almost call them more of a kit than an ARF when it comes to work. Typical quality isn't too bad but it depends on the plane. I agree with you Ragtop. Once they started raising prices I started asking myself if they were really worth it. Initially for the price it was. Some of their planes were very scale for an ARF. I guess if you really want a scale Warbird you just have to invest some time and build one. The big boys anyhow. Plenty of smaller ones on the market.

grimmace, how's the TA coming along?
Pluggin away. Doping all the fabric, and in the middle of glassing.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:04 PM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zrooster
Dave,

Great vid! That motor sounds amazing. One thought it inspired is, would a carbon fibre 3 blade (lighter than wood) be light enough that it would compensate for the added weight of the additional material (somewhat...enough?)... The xoar arrived today...so progress continues.

One additional question: What is the approximate thickness of the ply you added?

Also, just want to make a point clear here: I may have come off here as being a bit self assured and overbearing and I want to apologize for that. For those of you in Denver, you might be familiar with the school I attended about 60 miles to the south of you up in the hills...you know...the one with the funny chapel. I suppose those qualities are stereotypical of graduates of that institution! In all humility, I want to point out that anyone can learn to fly, but not anyone can learn to be a good scratch builder. I am confident in my area of expertise, but I am a relative novice in the scale world. I appreciate everyone's mentorship on the subject and hope I can get my hands on one of these ARFs in the near future!

Cheers!
G
I think it was 2 layers of 18mm ply. don;t worry a whole heap about weight up there, I still added another 600g in lead in the end.

Re: prop, they are a bit of a compromise, but having owned 2 and 3 blade carbon props, they are generally not all that much lighter than the wood equivalents. I have a 3 blade scale spinner ready to go here and I have some Solo prop blade in the Fw shape sitting here fo rthe last year, but don't have a hub! one of the local warbird guys offered one of his hubs from his crashed 1/6 B-17, but that never eventuated. so I guess I'll have to try get my hands on one some other way to try it out.

Thanks

dave

P.S. looking good there Dowmer, been watching on RCSB as well
Old 01-15-2015, 03:47 PM
zrooster

Gents! Got busy in all kinds of stuff and this place blew up while I was distracted! VG, I'll try magnum. All, here's the engine test stand so far...digital fish scale came from Walmart, everything else came from Lowes and Ace (except the prop and motor, obviously). Still need to reinforce the table with some 2x2 (should have used 1/2" or 3/4" plywood for the base). I need to add some weight to counterbalance the motor/sled Assy and help keep it from taking off...will probably also add provisions to anchor it for engine runs. Will also need to loctite everything during final assembly. Structure seems to hold up well...applied approx 30lb of force to the sled (pushed on it) and everything seemed pretty solid. Fuel tank is a 1 liter coke bottle with rubber stoper...will include photos of that as I update...now, what RLM to paint it

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Views:	352
Size:	752.4 KB
ID:	2063998   Click image for larger version

Views:	344
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	2063999   Click image for larger version

Views:	367
Size:	960.5 KB
ID:	2064000  
Old 01-15-2015, 05:37 PM
wallace.tharp

Zrooster, is that the Air Force Academy? Engineering or pilot background? Most has been said about prop selection, but I would like to add, from "full scale experience." Flying Super Cubs in Alaska we often used what was referred to as a "Boar prop." longer blades and low pitch.. cub would get off quick and climb like a banche... but, top speed was about 79 or 80 mph. Best hint, already mentioned in MHO is (what someone or the manufacture recommended). Fish scale is good for starting from scratch, and a Radar Gun can help with the top speed picture. Without a constant speed, or controllable pitch prop ala my Cessna 180, you will not get the best all around performance. Do not know if it was mentioned here, but props do actually "unload" and change shape in flight. Just my 2 cents worth. wallace.tharp

Last edited by wallace.tharp; 01-15-2015 at 07:44 PM. Reason: boo-boobs etc.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:49 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by wallace.tharp
Zrooster, is that the Air Force Academy? Engineering or pilot background? Most has been said about prop selection, but I would like to add, from "full scale experience." Flying Super Cubs in Alaska we often used what was referred to as a "Boar prop." longer blades and low pitch.. cub would get of quick and climb like a banche... but, top speed was about 79 or 80 mph. Best hint, already mentioned in MHO is (what someone or the manufacture recommended). Fish scale is good for starting from scratch, and a Radar Gun can help with the top speed picture. Without a constant speed, or controllable pitch prop ala my Cessna 180, you will not get the best all around performance. Do not know if it was mentioned here, but props do actually "unload" and change shape in flight. Just my 2 cents worth. wallace.tharp

You want to know he actual speed get a GPS Telemetry Modual ... don't even need one for our radio I have a small plastic bomb that I can attach to different guys planes and it contains a bat, 7 channel receiver an
Hitec HTS-SS Advance Sensor Station HRC55853n Air Speed sensor that sends Ground speed and air speed back to a display on my radio. It can even do Cylendre head temp 4 temps in all and RPM
Old 01-15-2015, 06:20 PM
zrooster

Originally Posted by wallace.tharp
Zrooster, is that the Air Force Academy? Engineering or pilot background? Most has been said about prop selection, but I would like to add, from "full scale experience." Flying Super Cubs in Alaska we often used what was referred to as a "Boar prop." longer blades and low pitch.. cub would get of quick and climb like a banche... but, top speed was about 79 or 80 mph. Best hint, already mentioned in MHO is (what someone or the manufacture recommended). Fish scale is good for starting from scratch, and a Radar Gun can help with the top speed picture. Without a constant speed, or controllable pitch prop ala my Cessna 180, you will not get the best all around performance. Do not know if it was mentioned here, but props do actually "unload" and change shape in flight. Just my 2 cents worth. wallace.tharp
Yes Sir...class of 99... I majored in Military History and went on to fly on active duty... I'm now retired under the early retirement program and starting my career flying air cargo in either the 747 or 767 (should find out which soon)!

I'm looking forward to testing some stuff out and seeing what works and what doesn't...

Looks like it might be academic, though...I ordered from Magnum, but then got a call from the proprietor telling me the don't have any and he doesn't think anyone is going to be getting anything new from ESM... Is anyone familiar with Top RC models? Fully glassed right out of the factory, apparently...according to him they should have Luftwaffe kampffleugzeugs coming in the next year or two. My second choice was the DO 335, but not seeing any of those either... I'm tempted to do the Top RC Spit 9 as I'm itching for a big glassed warbird (ARF) and if it's as good a plane as it seems, I can step up to a Luftwaffe bird when they come out. By the way, very impressed with the customer service at Magnum! Can't believe he took the time to call me and give me the rundown!
Old 01-15-2015, 06:36 PM
vertical grimmace

Here is something of interest. Not sure how deep a 747 pilots pockets are, but this seems to be a pretty good deal. http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/ite...itemId=1013548
Old 01-15-2015, 06:51 PM
zrooster

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
Here is something of interest. Not sure how deep a 747 pilots pockets are, but this seems to be a pretty good deal. http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/ite...itemId=1013548
LOL, pretty shallow on first year pay, but gets pretty good after that (depends on the company too). I'd be all over that if it were a few years down the road...
Old 01-15-2015, 07:21 PM
ForcesR

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by zrooster
Makes sense to me! I wish I had the time and skills to kit build. As it is, I barely have time to put together an ARF...part of the attraction of the ESM bird for me is that they already glassed the fuse for me, at least. Too many time consuming hobbies as it is plus I'm still transitioning from active duty to civilian life and the new commerical job.
Zrooster; you are going to have a reality check when you begin to assemble you ESM bird, they are advertised as an ARF which is false, they are not an ARF!! You will need lots of time and building skills to be able to assemble their model aircraft Granted, they are nice looking and close to scale but you will probably end up as fustrated as others trying to assemble ESM aircraft. There are several flyers in my club who purchased ESM aircraft and they all had the same type of problems as I had trying to assemble the aircraft correctly. I will never ever purchase another ESM model, same response from the other club members who have ESM products. All I have left to say is good luck with your ESM purchase for I know you will need it..!!!

Roger

Last edited by ForcesR; 01-15-2015 at 07:23 PM. Reason: word correction
Old 01-15-2015, 08:04 PM
zrooster

Originally Posted by ForcesR
Zrooster; you are going to have a reality check when you begin to assemble you ESM bird, they are advertised as an ARF which is false, they are not an ARF!! You will need lots of time and building skills to be able to assemble their model aircraft Granted, they are nice looking and close to scale but you will probably end up as fustrated as others trying to assemble ESM aircraft. There are several flyers in my club who purchased ESM aircraft and they all had the same type of problems as I had trying to assemble the aircraft correctly. I will never ever purchase another ESM model, same response from the other club members who have ESM products. All I have left to say is good luck with your ESM purchase for I know you will need it..!!!

Roger
Noted...still easier than building from scratch, except it doesn't look like it's going to be an option anyway.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:17 PM
deadstick79

I don't know!
I built mine and a Fok DVII to boot and actually enjoyed the expierience!
Dan
Old 01-16-2015, 04:24 AM
vertical grimmace

Top Flite does have the FW 190 A, in an ARF. They are nice models. The problem is, it is not a "D", which is the version I prefer.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:57 AM
zrooster

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
Top Flite does have the FW 190 A, in an ARF. They are nice models. The problem is, it is not a "D", which is the version I prefer.
Yeah, I considered TF, but I'm also partial to the Dora...also I'm not a fan of the monokote, or ultrakote or whatever they cover their birds in...
Old 01-16-2015, 11:25 AM
vertical grimmace

There is essentially no option for what you desire. Even the ESM had covering on the wings. I do not like fabric or plasti cote on any of my heavy metal birds. Only fiberglass over wood or fiberglass period.

It really is not a big deal to strip the covering off say a 190 A, and then glass it. That is the only way to have a good, durable finish, that will not wrinkle.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:31 AM
Ramstein44

Well...There is always full composite!!

http://www.vogelsang-aeroscale.com/sistfw190D1-5.html
Old 01-16-2015, 11:43 AM
ForcesR

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramstein44
Well...There is always full composite!!

http://www.vogelsang-aeroscale.com/sistfw190D1-5.html
There has to be a mistake for the Specs listed for the SistFW190D, for this aircraft with a 82.7" WS, it states the weight at 36lbs+ with a G45 or G62 engine installed? I could see 23 to 26lbs but 36lbs+, really??

Roger

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.