Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Hellcat F6F Wild Hare RC - G-Pete's build and review

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Hellcat F6F Wild Hare RC - G-Pete's build and review

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 09:09 PM
n8622t
My Feedback: (8)

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Default RE: Hellcat F6F Wild Hare RC - G-Pete's build and review

ORIGINAL: cap10b

LBJ
Go by the book, I flew the proto type #1 and a friend plane. Elevators are powerfull, go less not more.

JDS
I agree...as long as yer not nose heavy
Old 02-12-2012, 10:13 PM
ablesrc
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LBJ
Cap10b is right on. I built mine slightly nose heavy and used recomended elevator throw as high rate and about 10 numbers less for low rate. I very seldom used high rate elevator. The Wild Hare F6F is a great flying war bird.

I really like your color scheme. Good luck. Hope to see you at Warbirds over Texas.

RLA
Old 02-12-2012, 10:33 PM
n8622t

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks LBJ....it will be a Hellcat invasion
Old 02-13-2012, 04:40 AM
LBJ
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the manual. Just want to make sure the elevator throw below is for standard flight. It seems to say these are for 3D flying.

Control Throws

We set the control throws as follows on planes in test. Please keep in mind the high rates specified here are for 3d. The elevator in particular at these rates will cause instant stalling, tumbling, and all sorts of other things that can only be done at low speeds. Do not use the 3d settings until you are thoroughly familiar with the plane on low rates.

Ailerons 1 inch each way with –30% expo (+30% on JR or Spektrum)

Elevators 3/4†each way with –35-40% expo

Ruder low rate 3/4â€, high rate move as far as possible, -30-40% expo

Fly the plane on low rates at first. You will probably want to use high rate rudder taxiing on the ground but don’t forget to switch to low rate before takeoff.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:51 AM
cap10b

I have the settings stored in my transmitter at home I will post what I have for low and high rate.

JDS
Old 02-13-2012, 06:37 AM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I specified a high and a low rate for a reason.

After the plane has been flown a few times and you are used to it you might want to experiment with a high rate to see what it does. Be warned that it will be an adventure, have plenty of altitude when you try it the first time.

But you should always have a low rate fallback. I have personally had planes I built set up with too much throw and once in the air it proved unflyable. I once had an Extra with way too much aileron throw and no low rate (this was years ago when I was less wise than I am now). I got the plane in the air and when I went to make the first turn I found the plane inverted because it rolled so fast. I did manage to get it upright and kept it going for a minute or two, but eventually it proved to be beyond my ability to fly it.

Now I always have a very low rate available on all surfaces, just in case.

TF
Old 02-13-2012, 06:52 AM
LBJ

Tom, good points. But, if you say 3D elevator is 3/4" each way, and is sufficient to snap/stall it, then what would be a good setting for standard rates? 3/8" each way? See my point? How much is plenty? What is the minimum setting? You don't show a low rate setting in inches for the elevator or ailerons. 3/4" is all that's there. No use programming 3/4" each way if that's gonna snap on top of a loop or on take off or landing. No need to even have that in the radio for my purposes since I fly pretty much scale. Never flown 3D. I routinely fly with HI/LOW rates set in. Low rate is typically 80 percent of the Hi rate. I also fly with +40 expo on my Spektrum 2.4.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:51 AM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

I just talked to Tom about something else. I purchased his test model F6F and am getting it all spruced up. The 3/4" throw is the low rate. He suggested putting the elevator on a three-way switch intially so you could program a high-low(3/4")-even lower rate, just in case.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:15 AM
cap10b

Oh so you got the second proto type, good deal. I didnt fly that plane much infact Tom hogged all the testing on it for him self. Don't blame him.

Got lots of photos and some videos of that plane with David flying it and Tom.

JDS

Old 02-13-2012, 08:25 AM
splais

Yes, it's a great plane. I've had 2 or 3 giant scale warbirds and this WH F6F is a peach of a plane. Too bad won't be anymore around.

Has anyone figured out a matching spray paint color for that grey on the underside of the plane/cowl? thanks.

PS: I'll post some pics when I get a little further along; new graphics, pilot, guns, antenna, prop, etc
Old 02-13-2012, 08:37 AM
Capt G

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

See my post # 100 ref the paint.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:44 AM
LBJ

"Yes, it's a great plane. I've had 2 or 3 giant scale warbirds and this WH F6F is a peach of a plane. Too bad won't be anymore around. "

Tom, what's the next Wild Hare Warbird gonna be? Any plans? Believe it or not, there's a gap in the giant scale P-51 market in the 100 inch range as far as being affordable. Comp ARF has one but it's at least $4K finished out. Beyond the $$$ of most of the guys here. A giant P-51 built-up like the F6F would be great to have and fun to fly.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:17 AM
cap10b

Think 30cc Spitfire.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:28 AM
tms261

what do you mean there wont be any more around? Tom's not getting any more? Lucky I was on the list very early. Its been very hard to find time to work on mine. Almost finished. All you fellas have done fantastic jobs on yours. Mine will look pretty much standard. Thats ok, I just wanna FLY the thing!

I hope Tom does bring out a Spit or two. 20 or 30cc as Tom hinted last year.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:10 PM
LBJ

ESM already has both a 30cc and a 50cc Spitfire. Not much use competing with those.

Another bird that has a "gap" is a 50cc size FW-190A series. Wow, make a great flyer if built like the Hellcat.

My favorite piston engine fighter of all time.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:41 PM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

There's a lot to be said for the sellers reputation. Tom, how many people need to commit to your Spitfire for you to go ahead with the order? You have a good name in the industry and I would be willing to commit with a deposit.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:15 PM
tms261

+1
Old 02-13-2012, 03:29 PM
Capt G

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

What there is a real shortage in the market of is 90" + warbirds.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:22 PM
splais

If the economy ever pics up and the F6F becomes available again I really hope it comes with a clear canopy that will retrofit the current model. This plane just cries out to be scaled up.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:12 PM
LBJ

I'd really like to know what philosophy/thought/research goes into creating the next ARF, for any corp, big or small. Funny thing, all that creative energy generally ends up building yet another P-51! hahaha
Old 02-14-2012, 02:25 AM
bladebender
My Feedback: (5)

Tom will you be getting any more of these F6F
Old 02-14-2012, 02:26 AM
bladebender
My Feedback: (5)

Tom will you be getting any more of these F6F
Old 02-14-2012, 04:29 AM
cap10b

All,
For F6F availability I was told "Maybe" after the economy turns around. The creative energy expended is proprietary I was told, I wanted a book to be written about it and it was not a good idea. At this time there is no newer version of the F6F, any updates will depend on the Chinese builder, its possible to make a $600 plane cost $1000 without retracts but thats not what WildHare wanted to do.
I have had this discussion about EMS with managment and WH is not concerned with them. The customer base for Wildhare is different from Troybuilt. From what I have been told WH is not LOOKING to fill a gap or shortage in the hobby, WH builds planes they like to fly. The goal of the F6F was to supply an ARF with two piece wing, easy to transport, easy to own and opperate, not a WHITE Knuckler, meaning easy to fly above all. I think the the plane is a success in all aspects.

Guys we just need to hang on till the money starts to flow again. Wildhare will continue to support us on spares and parts but as of right now there is nothing in the pipeline from China. That does not mean the show it over. China wants to sell stuff to us in the worst way and they will do ANYTHING to make that happen.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:13 AM
splais

did anyone open up the cowl ring in the area of the side moulded-in cowl flaps to allow for a little more engine cooling? If so, did it work out without weakening the cowl? I think I read someplace that it was not recommended to cut the ring if possible.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:19 AM
LBJ

Pluggin away. Got the retract system pretty much done and pressure tested. It works. Got to tuck away the lines neatly and clean things up a bit. The air tank and retract servo/valve are mounted on plywood and using the nut plates from the factory jig and to make them removable in the future if I need to get to the rudder servo area. Next is to test the main gear and then on to the engine and fuel tank mounting. Won't be long now!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.