Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Hellcat F6F Wild Hare RC - G-Pete's build and review

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Hellcat F6F Wild Hare RC - G-Pete's build and review

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 03:26 PM
LBJ
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hellcat F6F Wild Hare RC - G-Pete's build and review

Flew mine today. I ended up with 3 lb 2 0z lead in the nose, just to be safe. If flew nicely though, I kept the gear down on the first flight and flew for 5 minutes to a nice full flap landing. Next flight, sucked the gear up and flew only 2 minutes because my eyes were getting filled with sweat and had a hard time seeing the plane. Not really sure about the trim change as I need to fly longer to see how she trims out with gear up. Overall, a sweet flying bird. Had a photog out there and he left 5 minutes before I flew the second time, Man, I wanted some flight pics. Oh well, I will take it out on Memorial Day for the club military aircraft fly day.

Got a few pics between flights by Glen Baker.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:00 PM
tms261

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on that first flight. You did a great job on that covering and finishing. Have you weighed your plane now that it is balanced? I'm using a much heavier engine than most of you. Short cowl, and moved engine mount 9/16" behind original firewall because of engine length and weight. My plane was one of the first ones shipped but I did not get it finished and out to the field until today(no graphics yet). Engine and radio test fine, but issues with wing bolts.

My real concern is with the overall weight and the CG. I used Tom's method with the wing tube. I used lead weight right around or just ahead of the stab spar(8oz), to get to a point where it would sit level. If I tilted it to the tail or the nose, it would fall in that direction. I too would like a solid measurement off of a plane that has flown, also to know average AUW. I've not weighed mine yet, but it really feels heavy.

Everyone that has posted on this plane has been successful. I'm the only one I know using a heavier engine than a DLE or DA. But, I'm not adding any lead to the nose either.

Good luck to all of you, and lets all hope things improve so Tom can start pushing out planes again. I really want that Spitfire!
Old 06-03-2012, 05:39 AM
LBJ

tms261, mine was 20 lb before lead and I added 3 lbs 2 oz to that number, so about 23 lb. I am glad I added another 0.5 lb to the method that Wild Hare suggests to balance or it would have been a one flight wonder.

I'd take a stab at using the 25 percent MAC method of balancing, as a backup. And of course, do so with the retracts in the UP position, not down. This throws the CG aft a good bit. She'll fly OK, perhaps, with the gear down using the WH method, but will be a handful with the gear up. So, measure the chord of the wing at the root, take 25 percent of that, and measure off the leading edge. Transfer that measurement at 90 degrees to the root out to the wing tips and hang it upside down to test. If you are not at least nose level (preferably a slight nose-down) with gear up, then don't fly. At least, that's my suggestion.

Overall weight is not a problem with this plane as the wing area is large and with a DLE-55 or G-62 there is plenty of power.

If you are using the wing bolts that came with the model, I suggest not using them. I used a standard set of 1/4-20 nylon bolts front he hobby shop.

Good luck on your flight!!

PS, I measured my mark on the wing tip. It's about 2.5" behind the LE. That's a ballpark measurement. You should be able to handle any imbalance with trim changes.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:05 AM
n8622t
My Feedback: (8)

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Hey LBJ she looks good so now you need to get that prop painted up before the WBOTX event on the 15th....See ya there
Jimmy
Old 06-05-2012, 06:43 AM
LBJ

Jimmy, not sure I am gonna make it over there, but thanks for the comments. LBJ
Old 06-05-2012, 07:55 PM
hellcat56
My Feedback: (21)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know you will bring that HELLCAT to the Texas Scale Championships the week before the WBOTX
I will have my Z hellcat at both events
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44860.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	1769645  
Old 06-06-2012, 02:47 PM
tms261

It so happens that the wing bolt issue was found at the field this weekend. I put 1/4-20 blind nuts in last night as even with 1/4-20 bolts I had on hand(not the ones in the kit), there was plenty of slop. Now its all snug like I would expect. So at 23lb yours flies fine. I will weigh mine tonight.

Thanks for that info on the balance. I'm not adding any lead, just moving the rx battery around to balance.

Oh, one last question, what prop are you guys using? I put a 22" on just to crank the engine and found relatively little clearance. Perhaps 20" 3 blade?

Thanks fellas, good luck to you all.

Tim
Old 06-06-2012, 04:06 PM
LBJ

DLE-55 should run a 22x8 or 22x10. 22x8 is considered a break in prop. I cannot remember what engine you are running, sorry. I'm flying a 22x10 on the DLE-55.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:43 PM
tms261

I know it sounds big for this plane, but I had it laying around NIB for 7 years, so decided to put the Taurus 69 in this plane. It weighs at least 1.5lb more than the DA-50 or DLE55. Also, I have a custom Jtec pitts muffler which is on the heavy side due to the way it was made to fit this combo.
Sorta surprised today when I finally weighed it all and came up with right at 21lb. I havent had to add any lead. If the new digital scale is accurate, I think I will be fine. The initial run of the engine was with a XOAR 23 X 8 and was spun like a toothpick. It has a 22B VESS on it now which I will use for maiden flight.

Was going to fly maiden today, but went to bed sick and woke up sick..... will post once yet another WH Hellcat has flown!
Old 06-10-2012, 08:25 PM
tms261

Good News! Finally got the maiden out of the way. Also a second flight after some trimming and HS needle work. Second flight was great, no pitching/porpoising or any of that. Half flaps and full were uneventful with no mixing required. Like all of you have said, this thing flies great. Our local warbird expert got his hands on it for a couple of minutes and was so comfortable high speed passes were immediate. Vertical is almost unlimited, and huge loops were easy. I was pleasantly surprised with both landings. Very refreshing after flying lightly loaded aerobats for the last few years. It felt nice to have enough weight to not float in

Ok so now I'm really wanting Tom's idea of a Spitfire!
Old 06-18-2012, 03:32 PM
cap10b

All,
Well the new owner did a complete make over on the old proto type and we almost got it ready for WBOTX but some issues kept us grounded. We did get two flights the week prior and she flys great no issues, Brison 3.2 pulls strong, 22x6-10 at 6900. The new owner added smoke and kept the plane within weight and balance so we had a good smoke trail as well. All we need now are marking and a few extra add on's.

I will show you the before and after shots.

JDS
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95447.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	1773537   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48381.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	1773538  
Old 10-17-2012, 06:38 PM
LBJ

After finishing this earlier this year with lots of static pics, I finally got local Photog Glen Baker to take some shots of her inflight. His pics really are sharp and he caught some good angles. I am sure he will have more when he gets them downloaded and sorted out. He had a great day catching warbirds at our field last Monday. It was a near perfect day to fly and just be at the field.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:02 AM
G-Pete

Looks pretty nice in the air...
Old 11-05-2012, 07:01 AM
LBJ

G-Pete, Here's more of the Cat. Thanks, Lane

Old 11-05-2012, 07:04 AM
glazier808
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks great LBJ....I must say, I do like the drone scheme.

Casey
Old 11-06-2012, 01:02 AM
bladebender
My Feedback: (5)

any body havea Hellcat for sale
Old 01-24-2013, 04:12 PM
LBJ

had a strange thing happen today at the field. Was flying the Hellcat and the prop came off. Now, I was running the DLE-55 with Valley View Prop adapter. The adapter shaft snapped off clean and it was a glider. That's the 2nd failure of that setup at the field. So, I am gonna revert back to the standard DLE setup.

But, the plane came down a bit short of the field and landed on the gear fairly hard. No damage to the plane itself, but the struts appear to need a bit of repair. Any known parts sources for the Wild Hare Retracts? I figure Wild Hare is out of all parts for the F6F since it's been several years since it sold out. I cannot rule out going to another brand of retracts if nothing is available.

It was a good day to fly here in N Central TX. 75 degrees F, winds 10 to 15 out of the S. All except for the little mishap, a good day to be outside. LBJ
Old 06-28-2013, 08:28 PM
LBJ

Bit of an update on the Drone F6F. Decided I've had enough of the Wild Hare retracts, wont lock UP and won't lock DOWN, actually a very flimsy set of retracts for $400 plus, so ordered a set of Sierra's for the Ziroli F6F which are VERY heavy duty. Problem is, they are over and inch longer in the struts, so will take a bit or rework to the under wing. I have them started and it really looks like an easy job. Had to cut the sheeting away a bit and will move some sheeting supports around some, but other than resheeting and recovering, shouldn't be a hard job.

I first tried a set of Robart 150's but they were too long in the forward side of the spar - just no way to cram them in with cutting the spar tube, so that was a zero. I've always liked Sierra's but the Robarts were less pricey, so tried them first. The extra strut length might make a trim change upon retract, but shouldn't affect the CG such that trim cannot handle. I fly with nose down trim anyway.

The axle shaft is on a bit of a bias. Not sure if this is scale or for the Ziroli design, but it puts a positive camber on the wheel (I think that's correct terminology).

I flew this one in the US Scale Masters qualifier we host at our field a few weeks ago, only had one full flight and a short 2nd, and didn't do that great. I was a bit nervous. figured I'd get better on the 2nd round. But, on the 2nd takeoff I had a severe roll to the left that I couldn't trim out, so landed immediately. Kind of disappointed, but scale meets are always eventful. I think the problem was a Futaba 3010 aileron servo that I replaced a stripped gear on. I really looked at it closely, but apparently, it slipped a cog on another gear I must have missed seeing as broken and the aileron dropped about 3/8" lower on the right. But, it flew several flights before the meet without failure. Wow, called it quits after that flight - wasn't worth the risk. Too much to dig into at the field. From now on, I will run Futaba 3305 metal gear, hi torque servos on warbird ailerons.

Should have mentioned, the aileron servo was broken firstly because the right main gear collapsed on a landing previous to the scale meet and caught the aileron horn which stripped the servo gear (not apparent at that moment). Now, on that same day, after installing a BRAND NEW prop, I flew again only to have the right aileron go into flutter mode hauling azz down the alley! Wow, thought she was a goner then. But slowed down immediately and landed OK. That's when I found out about the stripped servo. That's one of the reasons I am done with the gear. ha

I'll post more pics as I work thru the retract changes.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:33 PM
glazier808

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LBJ,

I use 3305's and love them on 6v.
Love the drone Hellcat btw. Sierra is the way to go.

Casey
Old 06-29-2013, 05:03 AM
p51tom

It might be too late now but Sierra does carry the same retracts with a shorter strut. These gear are for the Don Smith 86" Hellcat. My Hellcat looks like it my be as much as 31 lbs when complete. Darrel might be able to shorten the struts if you decide to go that route.
P51Tom
Old 06-29-2013, 06:08 AM
LBJ

Casey, yes, I have used Futaba 3010's for a lot of things, but the 3305's are pretty heavy duty. Not much more $$ than the others, especially if you use the Tower SS club discount and free shipping. Sierra does make the best retracts.

P51Tom, curious, how in the world did the weight get up to 31 pounds? ha. I'll have to make these gear work as I have them paid for! I hope she'll sit up tall like the Zero with those longer struts. Keep us posted on your Cat.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:10 AM
LBJ

A bit more done. Added 1/4" ply under the existing mount blocks. Narrowed one side down. Now, pretty tight fit, but still room to work.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:32 PM
Lifer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Looks stout!
Old 06-29-2013, 01:51 PM
LBJ

Done with the mechanical part. They air up and down fine. Now to the sheeting and new gear doors.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:02 AM
LBJ

I finished the install on the left wing and got it covered. Still to make the doors, but may go ahead and fly in the mean time. Due to the strut's extra length, will have to think about how they will look and how I'm going to fit them. Won't affect flying without them.

Comparison shot. The Sierra's have a few more degrees rake.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.