Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

H9 B-25 wings

Those of that built it. Did you glue the wings together? I have the means to transport a one piece wing. Just wanted to know if there was an advantage for the two piece wing I hadnt thought of.
    Edwin

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: H9 B-25 wings

hey Edwin how is it going mate
    just to let you know the eflight retracts in mine have stood up well I have only flown her twice but they are perfect with robart oleos and robart scale wheels and as for the wings I didn't glue mine together I just plug them together and pit it all together before I go to my field and transport it in a cradle on my ute

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Its going pretty good so far. I made a change to the flap servo setup. I prefer to use a Y cable so I needed to make a new servo mount to move it over a bit. Now both move the same direction. Had a problem with one of my chosen engines (OS.48FS 4-stroke). I bought them used at an estate sale. Old but very little run time, I knew the owner. One engine is ready to go, the other turned out to have a bent conrod instead of a rusty bearing. No problem, ordered the conrod yesterday and will be good as new shortly. Wings about done, moving to fuse now. I want that engine done when I finish up the nacels. Retracts are due wed or thurs. Think I'm gonna glue the wings together, I have a aircraft carrier that can handle it. It hauls my ATI B-17 with no trouble. I couldnt afford to use my 1 ton dually deisel to haul at most 50lbs of aircraft gear. I gotta strip off all that special covering. Dont want to look like everybody else.
    Edwin

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Edwin,

I did not glue my wings together. After about 20 flights, no issues so far.

The separate wings do make it easier to transport. I went electric and the separate wings make it easier to reroute servo extensions/ESC Wires/Battery Wires if the need should arise.

Oriole.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Edwin-
    The only advantage for not gluing the wing halves together is transport. If you can haul the wing in one piece I would go for it. Another thing to consider is if you ever want to sell the plane it will probably make it more difficult to sell. I've beeen flying mine for 3.5 years and I wish I could glue the wing halves together.
    Nothing difficult is ever easy.
    Spitfire Brotherhood #44

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wings are glued. I dont sell very many of my planes. This one would be a keeper. Having said that, I have about 8 I need to fix up, THEN put up for sale. These are mostly auction planes I got for cheap that just need a little TLC to look good for selling. Some need a lot of work but they will sit in my barn for a little while before I get to them. These small bombers make good practice planes for when I up size. I like ziroli, don smith, hostetler, and meister plans.

tevans55, I like your post script.
    Edwin

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

iceaxe,
    I'm having binding trouble on the eflite electric nose gear steering when in the retracted position. Its set for the shortest travel at the servo end. The simple solution to fix it would be to install a long bolt that the slider linkage rides on. I use a pushrod. Just wondering if you saw that problem. Oh, before I forget, I really like electric retracts. Going this way from now one. I'm an amerature machinist at home and have figured out a similar worm gear setup using limit switches with no electronics. Need to prototype it now. Something to play with for larger warbirds.
    Edwin

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hey Edwin I have just pulled up to fly my b25 so i will take a pic once she is set up and post it for you showing what I did and as for your machining skills keep me informed as I am about to to but an aeroworks p51

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

posted pic over at the thread you started on the efilght retracts on rc groups

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Edwin

Its going pretty good so far. I made a change to the flap servo setup. I prefer to use a Y cable so I needed to make a new servo mount to move it over a bit. Now both move the same direction. Had a problem with one of my chosen engines (OS.48FS 4-stroke). I bought them used at an estate sale. Old but very little run time, I knew the owner. One engine is ready to go, the other turned out to have a bent conrod instead of a rusty bearing. No problem, ordered the conrod yesterday and will be good as new shortly. Wings about done, moving to fuse now. I want that engine done when I finish up the nacels. Retracts are due wed or thurs. Think I'm gonna glue the wings together, I have a aircraft carrier that can handle it. It hauls my ATI B-17 with no trouble. I couldnt afford to use my 1 ton dually deisel to haul at most 50lbs of aircraft gear. I gotta strip off all that special covering. Dont want to look like everybody else.
    Edwin
    Hey Edwin, I know it's an older post but here's something to think about, instead of revamping a flap setup you can use a different brand servo in a pinch ie, one Futaba and one JR they rotate in opposite directions, just match the torque and speeds of both servos
    RED RIGHT RETURN!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Its fixed now. I went through 6 servos all to no avail, even cut new holes for servo mounts. I finally got a set that was close enough, then bought a DX18 and used servo balance to fix it. Flaps are perfect now. I also used servo balance to sync up the engines. Pretty nice feature, I love that radio. I ended up using a pair of saito .56's I had from a previous project. The nacells were a big problem for me. The first time to the field they loosened up at the wing dowels on the wing. On the way home, one nacell broke off the wing and fell to the floor in the trailer, bummer. The other nacell was really loose and could have broken off too. I patched the holes in the leading edge of the wing for the nacells, drilled new holes and epoxied new dowels in, and pin cushioned the area and flooded it with thin ca to strengthen it. Seems to have done the job. I changed the rear mounting of the nacell screws to insert from inside the nacell instead of top mount. Cut some screws to length and patched the top side hole with epoxy and bondo. Needs paint eventually. I fixed the nose gear steering with an extra long clevis I found in my junk drawer. I also did some programing to mix the knob to the nose gear to do fine tuning on steering. I dont need it, just a novelty function. The maiden was uneventful and flew great. It was a bit too nose heavy so it dropped pretty quick as I let off on power, but it recovered easily with a little bump on the throttle. I had to fight the urge to do a loop and aileron rolls. It flys really nice. I recovered the rudders with OD ultracoat and got rid of that big dot on the side of the fuse. So I have a clean slate to start with now and wont look like everybody else.
    Edwin

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well done mate mine has only had 10 flights and hasn't flown for ages too many other projects and models to fly but I will get her out a couple of times this year