Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: I Saw it! TF 60 Size Corsair ARF!!!!!

ORIGINAL: Lifer

Brad C,

Looks very nice! What is your opinion of the overall parts fit?
    Pretty good overall. The hole pattern of the engine mount I used takes some tricky clearing out of the wood framing behind the firewall to get the blind nuts to seat but other than that it's fine. There is just enough room behind the carb for air intake and choke operation and plenty of room for the ignition in front of the firewall. I haven't done it yet but the spark plug wire needs some clips to secure it to the firewall and away from the muffler as much as possible, but I think it will be ok. The rear pitts muffler made it a lot easier I think and it looks way better than the stock one would. I'm sure the sound will be better too but I've only run it with the stock one so far.

On the ARF in general - The cowl was a bit tough to get aligned right because of the way it's flared out at the ends (little difficult to get tape to seat right and hold it in place without deforming it). Nothing some patience and trial and error can't solve though. The dummy engine with the metal push rods is a nice touch. Little tedious putting them all in but they look great. I normally don't bother with dummy engines but this one was worth it. The tail section was easy as can be.

Now it's on to the wing. I started the fuse first because the first wing I got was bad so I had to send it back. Tower took care of it though - good customer support.

Brad.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Brad-C, that looks alot better than I expected with the cowl on. I think I will have to take back what I said above about a gas engine in this plane...

Keep posting pics!
    Firepower R/C
    Saving un-loved R/C airplanes around the world

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Brad C,

Thanks!
    AMA #77967/CD/LM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Brad-C

Got the cowl done with the DLE-20 so here's a few pictures.

On the alternate retract question - I'm going to give the E-Flite rotating retracts a try. They are for .46 size but the specs say up to 9.5lb plane. Have only dry fit them so far but It seems like they will be ok. I'm also going to use Robostruts for some suspension and better looks. We'll see..

I'll be interested to see if the .46 retracts work out for you. I think the struts would some extra support as well?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: lablover

Got the cowl done with the DLE-20 so here's a few pictures.

On the alternate retract question - I'm going to give the E-Flite rotating retracts a try. They are for .46 size but the specs say up to 9.5lb plane. Have only dry fit them so far but It seems like they will be ok. I'm also going to use Robostruts for some suspension and better looks. We'll see..

I'll be interested to see if the .46 retracts work out for you. I think the struts would some extra support as well?

Got my fingers crossed since I already bought the retracts and Robostruts. I'm hoping it will be ok given that the 9.5lb max rating is probably conservative and since I'll need to shorten them quite a bit anyway for this plane (which should help lower the torque on the retract housing on landing). The Robostruts should help for strength but they also add some weight to what the retract motor has to pull up. The e-flites seem to have plenty of torque though. I'll probably leave the spring coil in the retracts so it's not too rigid. I can hide them with scale-ish strut covers I think but I haven't looked at that close yet. I'll be doing the maiden without retracting the gears just to be safe.

The only other option I found that was within what I was willing to spend were the RC Lander large scale ones but I didn't like the ball link sticking out. http://parkrcmodels.com/product_info...roducts_id=876

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm waiting for the robart electric's to come out, that is if they ever come out . By the way, what is the wire dia. of those eflite's .46 size retracts?

thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: dcast01
    I'm waiting for the robart electric's to come out, that is if they ever come out . By the way, what is the wire dia. of those eflite's .46 size retracts? ....thanks
    My guess: 4mm or 5/32", which regardless of manufacturer rating (which BTW are usually overly optimistic), are just not sturdy enough for reliable operation on 8# plus aircraft. Hope I'm wrong.
    Avatar: Electric Powered, Highly Modified Hangar 9 Corsair
    Club Saito Member #670

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A friend of mine is using the standard 85 degree .46 size E-Flites in his "Czech Mate" warbird racer which is right around 9.5 pounds. They were about the only thing that would fit into the very thin wing so he took a chance. I recommended Robart struts but, thus far, he is getting away fine with the 5/32" wire that they come with. (No bad landings yet though!) Both he and I agree that the retract unit itself appears plenty rugged to handle a ten pound airplane and with a more durable, functional strut I don't think there would be a problem. I'm assuming, of course, that the rotaters are similar in construction to the standard retracts.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Correct, the E-Flites are 4mm (or 5/32 - close enough). I forget what I measured exactly.

Chad - thanks for the info on someone else using the similar ones in the racer. That helps.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm waiting for the robart electric's to come out, that is if they ever come out . By the way, what is the wire dia. of those eflite's .46 size retracts?

thanks

You're gonna wait awhile. I spoke to Robart the other day and they said one "Might" come out in the next 6-9 months. I would not hold my breath!

I'm going fixed until Brad reports back with the eflites. Sure, she will be dirty, but safe Wonder if LAdo has anything?

Guess if worse comes to worse we can use the Robart airs. I just don't trust them! Seen too many belly landings with these!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

And the air retracts are still big $$ for everything. I've seen a lot of cursing at them at our field too. I did find some from Lado but just couldn't swallow the cost. They are nice though.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

And the air retracts are still big $$ for everything. I've seen a lot of cursing at them at our field too. I did find some from Lado but just couldn't swallow the cost. They are nice though.

And

Only 3 left

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The link I posted was an engine review by Minn flyer. I believe he ran a 14x7 Graupner prop. If you look in the engine(s) forum you can read his thoughts on the engine.

Tom
    \"Where there\'\'s a WILL, There\'\'s a WAY\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I too purchased the OS95V for this ARF. Be sure to get the OS M11 exhaust header to keep the exhaust and engine in the cowl. I also installed the Robart 615s. Their site still has no electric retracts listed. I believe when they do put them out the actuators eill be available to replace the air cylinders.
    I was thinking of getting the Robo struts but not sure if they will clear the area for the struts. I'd also like to put diamond tread tires from Robart but the wheel wells seem too shallow. I really don't want to butcher the wing to fit these extras.

Tom
    \"Where there\'\'s a WILL, There\'\'s a WAY\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The Robostruts are too wide for the channel in the wing. It needs to be modified.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: lablover

And

Only 3 left

I have been looking at the lado retracts "RS333 RT" and they are real nice!!
    http://www.lado-tech.net/en/rs333/9-rs333-rt.html
    I have also measure my corsair landing gear opening and they FIT!!!
    Lengthwise are short but an easy modification will fix it!!

CORSAIR landing gear length of opening is 3 inches
    LADO RS333 are 1.5 inches long
    ROABRT pneumatic 615 are 2.75 inches long

I also call robart to see when are they coming out with their retracts and the guy told me that in about a month they will only come out with a couple of their models, and the 615 was not one of them
    SO i think i will by the LADOO retracts...i have heard good things of them
    WHAT DO YOU THINK???
    Attached Files Attached Files

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I might as well go the lado route too being that it will be a few months for the electric 615's to come out. Thanks for the spec diagram info on the retracts.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I guess that means only 1 set left now!!

Nice choice. Those should be sweet.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

after looking at the Lado specs, i'm not too sure if they will be ok. Just checked the spacing between the holes (34mm) it looks to be real close to the edge of wood rails on the corsair.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Are any of you guys looking at the .60 size Sierra rotaters for your Corsairs? I have a set for my next Hellcat and they are light years better than the Robart 615's. Having said that, I will admit to not having any issues with the 615's in my Hellcat and TF P-40 but maybe it's because I only fly off of paved surfaces.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

after looking at the Lado specs, i'm not too sure if they will be ok. Just checked the spacing between the holes (34mm) it looks to be real close to the edge of wood rails on the corsair.
    The E-Flites have the same problem. I'll have to do something to adjust it. Should work to just epoxy some extra wood in but if not I can machine up adapter plates from carbon fiber or aluminum.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The E-Flites have the same problem. I'll have to do something to adjust it. Should work to just epoxy some extra wood in but if not I can machine up adapter plates from carbon fiber or aluminum.

CORRECT!

Even the INCLUDED fix landing gear is also exactly 34mm just like the LADO
    simple samall modification will do it

the robart are 36.5mm hole to hole it is only closer to edge 1.25mm per side
    you could also make 2 new holes on the lado bracket you have 4mm per side so go 1.25mm or 2mm away from the edge and it would be good

THANKS
    A. Garza

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think i will do the robarts air retracts being that they are a better fit for the mount and then switch it over to electric when they become available as someone mentioned above.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Chad Veich
    A friend of mine is using the standard 85 degree .46 size E-Flites in his ''Czech Mate'' warbird racer which is right around 9.5 pounds. They were about the only thing that would fit into the very thin wing so he took a chance. I recommended Robart struts but, thus far, he is getting away fine with the 5/32'' wire that they come with. (No bad landings yet though!) Both he and I agree that the retract unit itself appears plenty rugged to handle a ten pound airplane and with a more durable, functional strut I don't think there would be a problem. I'm assuming, of course, that the rotaters are similar in construction to the standard retracts.
    I have to correct myself here. I spoke with my friend today and his airplane actually has the .60-1.20 size E-Flite gear in it. He purchased the smaller retracts thinking that the bigger ones would not fit but, in the end, he was able to make the larger units work. I apologize for the confusion! I still think the smaller units could be made to work if the wire strut is replaced with a functional oleo strut but I have no real world experience to back up that opinion.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A friend of mine is using the standard 85 degree .46 size E-Flites in his ''Czech Mate'' warbird racer which is right around 9.5 pounds. They were about the only thing that would fit into the very thin wing so he took a chance. I recommended Robart struts but, thus far, he is getting away fine with the 5/32'' wire that they come with. (No bad landings yet though!) Both he and I agree that the retract unit itself appears plenty rugged to handle a ten pound airplane and with a more durable, functional strut I don't think there would be a problem. I'm assuming, of course, that the rotaters are similar in construction to the standard retracts.
    I have to correct myself here. I spoke with my friend today and his airplane actually has the .60-1.20 size E-Flite gear in it. He purchased the smaller retracts thinking that the bigger ones would not fit but, in the end, he was able to make the larger units work. I apologize for the confusion! I still think the smaller units could be made to work if the wire strut is replaced with a functional oleo strut but I have no real world experience to back up that opinion.
    Cool - thanks for clarifying.

Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast