Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: I Saw it! TF 60 Size Corsair ARF!!!!!

I had the exact same problem with a locked flap hinge on the left wing.

That is interesting on how they cut triangular pieces for relieving the stresses on the bends. I wish I had thought of that, especially on the Royal .60 kit. I instead did the cut in to strip and plank method.

The root at the vertical stab also has a fair amount of filler that they used to fill in the transition. Looks really nice but made it a bear to strip the covering adhesive off of it.

Now to get ready to start installing the belly pan and oil coolers and prep for glass.
    If you love your plane, set it free, if it doesn\'\'t return, you should have checked the battery.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: scottrc
    ..........................The root at the vertical stab also has a fair amount of filler that they used to fill in the transition. Looks really nice but made it a bear to strip the covering adhesive off of it.................
    AGREED! The covering pulled off very easily from the sheeted areas, didn't even have to use heat. But where that filler is: that was a whole different story. Are you still thinking of removing the flaps? They obviously used good epoxy to hold the hinge pins in, I used heat to loosen them up as much as I could, but also had a fear of making the whole wing fall apart because I DO think they use some sort of hot glue for most of the construction.

As for the ailerons: I'll probably just cut them loose, and install Robart hing points to replace the Sig type hinges. I'll try to mount them BELOW the super-glued hinges, hopefully to acheive better scale realism.
    Avatar: Electric Powered, Highly Modified Hangar 9 Corsair
    Club Saito Member #670

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Last thing to uncover: the rudder. Now that covering is removed, I'll reshape it slightly to make it more scale accurate. I have inked lines on the top, indicating material to be sanded off. The Top Flite Corsair rudders have always been too 'squared'. The G.E. was slightly improved from the 'red box', and maybe the ARF is better yet, but I made a template several years ago which shows that even this rudder is not rounded/ curved enough to be accurate. SO, the material will be sanded off.

Last pic is a scale drawing, so you can see the difference. Subtle, but recognizable by anyone who is very familiar with how a Corsair SHOULD look like.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hf99159.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	128.6 KB 
ID:	1743883   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Je99335.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	109.8 KB 
ID:	1743884   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yw68802.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	1743885  
    Club Saito Member #670

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

well guys pick hanger 9 angle pro
    works good
    have .5* pos offset on the engine thrust washer
    zero the gauge off the elevator
    so almost zero down thrust
    very glad I didnt have a bad fuse as warranty is a pain
    thanks for all you help
    now just need some nice weather up here northern MN to fly

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It's always good to have the correct tool for the job

Tom
    \"Where there\'\'s a WILL, There\'\'s a WAY\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: CorsairJock

..........................The root at the vertical stab also has a fair amount of filler that they used to fill in the transition. Looks really nice but made it a bear to strip the covering adhesive off of it.................
    AGREED! The covering pulled off very easily from the sheeted areas, didn't even have to use heat. But where that filler is: that was a whole different story. Are you still thinking of removing the flaps? They obviously used good epoxy to hold the hinge pins in"
    I ended up using a fine tooth scroll saw to cut the two hinges and removed the flap. Then drilled out the old hinge, epoxied in a plug and re-drilled the plug for the new hinge. Did some minor damage to the flap in the process but repairable.

I am starting the rudder mod tonight. I also see that the tip of the rear of the fuselage needs rounding. On my kit it looks almost rectangular.
    If you love your plane, set it free, if it doesn\'\'t return, you should have checked the battery.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

.......................I am starting the rudder mod tonight. I also see that the tip of the rear of the fuselage needs rounding. On my kit it looks almost rectangular.
    Yeh, I noticed the squared tail cone also. Also, there is an open area on the underside that will leave the tailhook exposed, even when gear is up and doors closed. I put a 'notch' in my Corsairs, and fabricate a hook from plastic. Actually tho, that is my electric powered Hangar 9 Corsair.

Name:	Yw66893.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	1743972   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Li21323.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	1743973  
    Club Saito Member #670

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looking at the model with the fiberglass tail cover attached, the notch can be cut out right at the end right where it transitions to the balsa. A tailhook would be nice to add. I plan to use a retractable tail wheel but haven't decided to use the Robart or try my hand at building one.

I must disclose that the only references I have are my old Royal .60 Plans and a set of full scale plans of the F4U1A drawn by Rikyu Watanabe.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looking at the model with the fiberglass tail cover attached, the notch can be cut out right at the end right where it transitions to the balsa. ...........
    I was thinking the same thing

......................I must disclose that the only references I have are my old Royal .60 Plans and a set of full scale plans of the F4U1A drawn by Rikyu Watanabe.
    Absolutely NOTHING wrong with that. The Royal plans are a pretty good source of details, and are pretty accurate.
    Club Saito Member #670

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

[img]C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Pictures\Kodak Pictures\2012-04-01[/img]

Got most of the tail section stripped and filled. Next to mount the tailwheel cover and do some measuring. And to round out that tip of the tail end.[:@]

Name:	Ca80321.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	1745357  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How clear is everyone's canopy? Maybe it's me but mine looks like it was dull coated after they pulled the masks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mine is pretty clear

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mine is a bit cloudy but I don't have a pilot in mine.
    This plane is a joy to fly and I'm liking it more and more the more I fly it.

Tom
    \"Where there\'\'s a WILL, There\'\'s a WAY\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What has happened to this forum, isn't anybody buying this plane, I'm still waiting till it arrives here in Oz.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Were are experiencing an unusally long summer this year, which means flying the aircraft we already have, and not working on projects which are usually reserved for less favorable weather.
    Club Saito Member #670

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

After waiting months for electric retracts that are designed specifically for this model, I was notified that the product release is placed on hold.... I did not want to mount the stock landing gear and have potential conflicts with the retract mounting holes... I also did not want to muck around with changes in COG. Whatever,
    I mounted the stock gear and maidened the plane last week. WOW what a flyer. I am using a Saito 100, It will do a vertical climb. The flaps really slow the plane down.I am reallyhappy with the model.
    I will say that I am having trouble keeping the plane upright on landing (grass strip). I did nose it over a couple of times and now I have an elevator to repair.
    What is the trick to keeping it up right on roll out? Lots of up elevator?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Picked up one last week. Got to get to work on it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: nhhover
    .......................What is the trick to keeping it up right on roll out?***** Lots of up elevator?
    (1) Keeping the main wheels well ahead of the CG. This is the main reason I advocate using retracts that have greater than 90 deg retraction (such as Robart 615s), and/ or shimming the retracts to add a forward 'rake' to them, thereby having the wheels about even with the wing leading edge if at all possible.

(2) Keeping the strut length as short as possible. Longer struts means more 'leverage' to cause it to nose over.

(3) keeping the CG as far back as possible/ reasonable. Going back to 'trick' 1: the shorter the distance between main wheels and CG, the more likely it will nose over.
    Club Saito Member #670

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Pulled the trigger at the LHS yesterday and purchased this ARF. I've never owned a TF kit/arf, very impressed overall and looking forward to the build and flying. I"m going to power it with either the Saito .91 or 1.00, have both and still undecided on retracts. Leaning towards the Eflite electrics and was hoping to hear some feedback from someone who is using them in this model? Not planning on adding/changing any other scale items other than a pilot figure and tire/wheels. Just build it, fly it and enjoy it - my first Corsair!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Check out the new Wingspan retracts.
    AMA #77967/CD/LM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Lifer, looked them up on the web and visited their site. Info and price are attractive, have you used these on a model? If so, how do they perform? And they are based in the Atlanta, GA area, about 30 minutes from me!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Have not used them myself, but the company has a good reputation. Another option is Sierra retracts of which I have a set in a TF P-40.
    AMA #77967/CD/LM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Kind of quiet in here, hoped to hear some new flight reviews?? Update on my progress - ordered all the electronics (receiver, servos, extentions etc) to get the build going. Settled on the Saito 1.00 and mounted it over the weekend. Retracts? After a lot of internet research I have decided to go electric and have pre-ordered the new 100 degree rotating set from Wingspan Retracts. Spoke with the owner by phone, they are scheduled to begin delivery in 3-4 weeks. Check out the website for more info. Lifer, thanks for pointing me in that direction.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

No new reviews, must be too hot to fly? My build has progressed well with the only item left to complete is wing assembly. Once the electric retracts arrive later this month I can finish up. Still looking for a pilot figure for the Corsair, any suggestions that won't break the bank? Would prefer already painted but not a deal breaker.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mine is coming along. should be ready in a few weeks. OS 108, robart retracts with wire struts. Pilot will probably be same as the one in the manual. i looked at some of the kit build threads to see what they said about the pilot. One person used the upper portion of a GI Joe. A little larger than scale, but looked OK in the cockpit.
    A mock up indicates mine will come in about 10 lbs with a good CG needing no extra weight.
    Brian

Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast