Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: I Saw it! TF 60 Size Corsair ARF!!!!!

Brian, are you going to have it ready for war bird day up there?? I will probably only bring my Corsair to it.
    Frank

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It should be ready. I want it ready for West Texas Warbirds in mid-September. 

Bring your corsair, get Tim to bring his Bearcat.

Brian

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: callide

What has happened to this forum, isn't anybody buying this plane, I'm still waiting till it arrives here in Oz.
    6 weeks of 100+ temps and high humidity has kept me from glassing mine. Once the weather gets cooler expect me to start posting my build again.

Also been doing a lot of traveling.

Scott
    If you love your plane, set it free, if it doesn\'\'t return, you should have checked the battery.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My Corsair build is pretty much complete with the only step left to complete being the electric retract installation. Once they are delivered I'll install them and add the outer panels. I went with the pilot figure listed in the manual and added some extra detail to the cockpit. Also added some extra detail to the dummy engine insert while I was inspired. Looks great sitting on the bench, can't wait to get this bird in the air!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I bet it looks fantastic. Looking forward to hear how those electric retracts work out.
    If you love your plane, set it free, if it doesn\'\'t return, you should have checked the battery.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Scott, TF did a great job with this kit. While at the field yesterday, a fellow club member showed up with his new TF F4U with a Saito 115 and air retracts for it's second flight since being assembled. The Saito pulled it very well and the model flew great, really got my juices flowing to get mine airborne! Wingspan Retracts sent me a note last week letting me know that they were on schedule to start delivering the new retracts for the Corsair next week sometime.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Got a few details to check, otherwise mine is ready to go. 10 lb, CG about 1/16" ahead of design location, OS 108, Robart air retracts, no additional weight needed for balance. At this point I think TF did a good job on this ARF. Mostly went together well.

One flap is a problem with the tab between the inner flap and middle flap coming out of the slot at full 1" throw. Has anyone had a similar problem and fixed it? Right now, i am just limiting the full throw to about  3/4 in.

I am kind of disappointed in the "kill" decals. There are about forty individual  "kill" markings, not just a couple of full or even partial sets. There's no way i can get that many to line up in any reasonable fashion.

Should get it in the air sometime this week.
    Brian

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: aghost

Got a few details to check, otherwise mine is ready to go. 10 lb, CG about 1/16'' ahead of design location, OS 108, Robart air retracts, no additional weight needed for balance. At this point I think TF did a good job on this ARF. Mostly went together well.

One flap is a problem with the tab between the inner flap and middle flap coming out of the slot at full 1'' throw. Has anyone had a similar problem and fixed it? Right now, i am just limiting the full throw to about *3/4 in.

I am kind of disappointed in the ''kill'' decals. There are about forty individual *''kill'' markings, not just a couple of full or even partial sets. There's no way i can get that many to line up in any reasonable fashion.

Should get it in the air sometime this week.
    Brian

I also had the tab coming out when the flaps are fully extended. I work with PC boards so had some .062 glass laminate that I used to fabricate a larger tab. You can do the same thing with a piece of sheet styrene.

I may need to call Tower about my decals, they have been stored in a climate controlled room yet they all have lost their adhesiveness.

So far, I am not impressed with the ARF part of this kit, then again I am just Mr. Unlucky when it comes to ARF's. The plane looks great and I'd say 80% of the construction is fantastic. So far here is the list of boo boo's that my kit has had:

1. Inner flap was glued into the wing. Asked for new wing but was told it was on back-order. I told them I would fix it myself, Tower gave me a $25 credit for keeping the wing.
    2. Covering, even if gone over with a gun and iron, still would not adhere in most places. Since I wasn't crazy about the color scheme anyway I pull the covering off. The covering came off like one big banana peel. I wondered if t would have done the same in flight like my KAOS. It seemed a coat of sealer would have prevented the covering from being so loose.
    3. Canopy was frosted - Tower sent me a new one
    4. Left aileron had a huge split in it.
    5. Flap tabs too small.

Anyway, I am enjoying the kit and hope to start glassing it later this year.

Scott

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Dad, Doing anything? Want to go to the field?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Received mine a few days ago. Spent a couple of hours today ironing out the wrinkles in preparation to start the build.

I'm a dyed in the wool kit builder but have no time for my own stuff. Usually building, repairing and custom paint for others, so I broke my rule and bought an ARF. All things considered, it's not that bad.

I agree, someone could have spent ALOT more time sanding, the Monokote finish is only as good as the prep underneath, but really isn't that bad. Corsairs aren't supposed to look like a fresh off the assembly line Ferrari anyways. I was happy that the Monokote shrunk back to a really nice finish, wondering if it will stay after a Saturday in the sun. Expect to have to iron every so often, no big deal.

Everything arrived perfect, no damage at all. I have the 60 size kit as well as the Giant scale kit, tell myself when I retire I'll have time to get to them. As well as the giant scale Mustang, a Cub and others. retirement will be busy, that's for sure.

I (gasp) don't have a four stroke laying around for the Corsair, but am planning to put an OS 75AX that I do have in it. Any thoughts? Please, please - I know about the sound. I'm this close to opening my wallet for something else but would really rather not to. But - in case I did, what would some of you recommend?

Thanks,
    Dan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dan,

That .75AX will be great with the Pitts muffler. I am running a Magnum .75 with a Slim Line muffler in mine for the same reason, I already have it, and cannot really afford to drop another $300+ on a 4 stroke. I have the OS .120 4 stroke in my TF Mustang and it does sound really cool on slow flybys, but the 2 stroke will make up for looks since it is just about completely concealed in the cowl.

Regards,
    Scott

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just picked one up too. Is a 120 4stroke too much for it? A 16" prop would look really nice on the front of it. I also have a 91 4 stroke, it is a tough decision.
    Thanks in advance for any input.
    Ed
    Goldberg Tiger Club #25

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Got the maiden and a second flight in today. No drama. no video or pictures (sorry).

Light crosswind, cloudless blue sky. Easy enought to keep this corsair straight during takeoff. Needed a few clicks of down elevator and right aileron but no problem. Made several horizontal figure 8s, turns nicely. Right aileron rolls were straight and quick. Left aileron roll had a little "barrel roll" in it, but not bad. Full flaps to land with some down elevator, but i don't think it really needs the down elevator. Easy to land. Actually more like a sports plane than a warbird, but it sure looks like a warbird!

Second flight was similar except I had a few small hops on landing.

Found out the plane (stock blue covering) really disappears against the cloudless blue sky here.

As posted early the plane came in at 10 lb, CG about 1/16" ahead of design location, OS 108, Robart air retracts, no additional weight needed for balance.

A couple of pictures after the maiden flight.

Brian

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yw68643.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	1798466   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yt61892.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	109.6 KB 
ID:	1798467  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

CONGRATS on MAIDEN, and THANKS for the thorough description of your Corsair and flight!
    Avatar: Electric Powered, Highly Modified Hangar 9 Corsair
    Club Saito Member #670

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Absolutely, CONGRATS on the successful maiden Brian! Got the Paypal invoice yesterday for the Wingspan electric retracts so they should be on the way. Once I get them installed and finish up the wing, I'll be ready to grab some air with my bent wing bird.

Doug

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wow, great report! And that engine... man, that's alot of poop in there! I bet it goes like crazy with that engine. Congratulations!

I also have ordered the new compact Wingspan retracts that were designed to fit the Top Flite Corsair 60 ARF, and was told that they will ship on Monday. I will be taking a good look at these retracts & reporting back here on what I find. I see that they use a drag link with a ball & socket for the rotation mechanism... VERY similar to some full scale rotators I have studied. Hopefully these are the rotaters we have been waiting for!!!!!
    Firepower R/C
    Saving un-loved R/C airplanes around the world

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: nh4clo4

I just picked one up too. Is a 120 4stroke too much for it? A 16'' prop would look really nice on the front of it. I also have a 91 4 stroke, it is a tough decision.
    Thanks in advance for any input.
    Ed
    We have one in the club that runs a OS .120 4cycle just fine. I run this same motor in the TF Mustang. The head sticks out a bit.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sounds like a great day Brian, thanks for the flight report. Not bad on the weight with the motor, gives a good testimony for going with a big 2 stroke or gas.

Scott

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Got a few more flights on my Corsair. All good. Still breaking in the OS. Once its broken in well, I am going to try a 3 blade prop.

The elevator seems fairly sensitive. I've got -55% expo (futaba) in it. That's more than I use in my other warbirds.

Brian

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the input, i see that it will stick out a bit. I think I will try it.
    Ed

Goldberg Tiger Club #25

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ed: The 108 fit rather well. I used a Bisson Pitts muffler. And put in an 800 or 850cc fuel tank. Took a little dremel work, but it went in. An 1100 mah LiFe battery is in the top of the fuse under the fuel tank.

If you get to the point of really going the 108 route, let me know. Some pictures of my install might be helpful.

Brian

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Need some help from the Robart retract geniuses please. I have the 615 set in, won't hold air. Tested everything, found the leak in the left retract unit. Shaft leaks where it comes out of cylinder. Is there anyway to repair it, lube of some sort, something? Brand new, only thing holding me up from the maiden. The retracts themselves look kind of cheesy to me, has anyone else run into issues with them.

Trying to quit smoking and run down an air leak at the same time is, well it's testing me. Help!

Dan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I used the 615s with oleos on a 17lb P-40, flying off a petromat runway. Worked OK, but not great. I figure they should do just fine on a 10 lb Corsair with relatively short spring steel wire struts. So far, so good. 

If your runway is rough, the 615s may not work as well.

As for fixing the leak, I have no suggestions other than replace the cylinder/shaft.

Brian

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: SPLIT S

Need some help from the Robart retract geniuses please. I have the 615 set in, won't hold air. Tested everything, found the leak in the left retract unit. Shaft leaks where it comes out of cylinder. Is there anyway to repair it, lube of some sort, something? Brand new, only thing holding me up from the maiden. The retracts themselves look kind of cheesy to me, has anyone else run into issues with them.

Trying to quit smoking and run down an air leak at the same time is, well it's testing me. Help!

Dan
    Check to see if the input line and the output lines are connected correctly.
    Unscrew the valve and check the:
    Seals
    Threads
    The sides of the plunger and its seal
    The inner side walls of the cylinder for any debris or damage.

Make sure everything is clean and put all back together and make sure it is good and tight. I suspect something is loose.

I did have a crack in mine near the input valve that I was able to smear some JB Weld into the crack and it held.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: SPLIT S

Dan
    Check to see if the input line and the output lines are connected correctly.
    Unscrew the valve and check the:
    Seals
    Threads
    The sides of the plunger and its seal
    The inner side walls of the cylinder for any debris or damage.

Make sure everything is clean and put all back together and make sure it is good and tight. I suspect something is loose.

I did have a crack in mine near the input valve that I was able to smear some JB Weld into the crack and it held.

Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast