Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

I Saw it! TF 60 Size Corsair ARF!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

I Saw it! TF 60 Size Corsair ARF!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 04:01 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: I Saw it! TF 60 Size Corsair ARF!!!!!

Watch who you're callin' and old man, punk!
Old 04-21-2011, 05:23 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Watch who you're callin' and old man, punk!
You for real? I'm an old man, but I don't take offense when someone calls me one.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:58 PM
MinnFlyer

Just pullin' yer leg. That's why I put the " "
Old 04-21-2011, 06:33 PM
cocobear
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will have this plane on display at Top Gun. Stop by the Futaba tent and check it out. BTW, when I get mine, it WILL have a DLE 20in it, no issue.

DJ
Old 04-21-2011, 07:48 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

excellant , question for you , the video show an interior kit , is that stock or an option /upgrade
Thanks
Old 04-22-2011, 12:12 AM
alanc

just a few questions, will it be shiny film covered, flat plate tail, no flaps, ?? if this is so, what makes it differant than the other corsairs of this size, and much cheaper? there is no substitute for a decent paint finish, decent airfoiled tail, and decent flaps, the ESM one is bigger, granted, but even though its not a throw together model, its finished looks are far superior, why would a buyer go for yours, than one of the other available? what sets it off from the rest?
Old 04-22-2011, 01:45 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: alanc
just a few questions, will it be shiny film covered, flat plate tail, no flaps, ?? if this is so, what makes it differant than the other corsairs of this size, and much cheaper? there is no substitute for a decent paint finish, decent airfoiled tail, and decent flaps, the ESM one is bigger, granted, but even though its not a throw together model, its finished looks are far superior, why would a buyer go for yours, than one of the other available? what sets it off from the rest?
The majority of those questions have already been answered in this thread.

As for "what makes it differant than the other corsairs of this size", only one other Corsair that I know of this size: the Hangar 9, and the differences should be pretty obvious. One has flaps, other doesn't, one has fully sheeted wings, other doesn't, one has flat, WW II finish, other has glossy Korean war finish, etc., etc.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:23 AM
LDM

yes and when you have a problem with the Top Flight corsair , you wont get an answr from the tech person as " in reality what do you expect from China "
Please I have the KMP corsair , I wish I had waited for it to be marketed as the esm corsair , because its by far a great plane in the $300 to $350 price range , but at what I paid i might as well have purchased a full build kit , considering my $200 retracts were a simple donation to "what can go wrong in the hobby " , my inlets on the wings are glued in upside down lol , ya I can only laught .
At leaste with Top Flight starting with the P47 , then the P40 and now the Corsair that waited , they delivered and they dont make execuses .
Again not knocking esm , I am really glad they took another method of distro into the USA
Old 04-22-2011, 02:38 AM
handyman 220
My Feedback: (54)

+1 on that Lou. You know when you purchase a TF kit you are getting a trust worthy product, with manufacturer support if you need it.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:59 AM
mimoore67
My Feedback: (51)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: handyman 220

+1 on that Lou. You know when you purchase a TF kit you are getting a trust worthy product, with manufacturer support if you need it.

I agree totally with LDM and Handyman! I am currently assembling the TF P40 (60size) ARF and it ranks as one of the nicest ARF's I've assembled. I've put together a lot of the "Low End" ARF's and they pale in comparison, especially in the fit and instructions. I have a ESM Mustang and CMP Mustang they are going to be a lot of work.

One thing that stands out to me too, is what's printed in the "Fine Print" print on the TF box! "Designed in America and made in China." What does that mean! That means someone who knew what they were doing over here. I hate fixing all the weird or lack of engineering that comes with other ARF Brands!
Old 04-22-2011, 03:25 AM
LDM

yep , you have to give it to Top Flight , they really have focused on a good strong business model
Old 04-22-2011, 04:19 AM
MinnFlyer

Yea, I have been fortunate enough to have reviewed most of the Top Flite ARF's and it's easy to see that construction and engineering-wise, they are head and shoulders above the crowd.

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=870]Cessna 310[/link]

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=1025]P-51 Mustang[/link]

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=1061]AT-6 Texan[/link]

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=1118]Cessna 182[/link]

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=1134]P-47 Thunderbolt[/link]

P-40 Warhawk (Finished but not yet published)
Old 04-22-2011, 04:47 AM
GerKonig

I think some of the prices of new Tower products are too high.

This Top Flite is a .60 For $399 and a lot smaller than the ESM that is also cheaper... (And I mean a lot smaller...) No I do not think so.

Top Flite re-edition of their Stuka ARF is way smaller than the ESM (IMAA legal at 80") but the Tower product is more expensive... (for a .60 bird, come on!)

Finally the Hawk bipe (which I own) when it came out had a reasonable price, great product. Now the new version price went trough the roof...

Heck the P-51 arf giant scale is $50 more than their .60 bird... Better buy one before they come out with the new batch and try to get $700 for it! As a matter of fact, a giant P-51 uncovered is the same price as this small, 60 size corsair!

My 3 cents, it was 2, but given Tower's increases I had to adjust for inflation... No, I am not happy with Tower's new pricing, while other manufacturers are keeping the prices (or going lower), Tower did shoot up.

Gerry

Old 04-22-2011, 04:54 AM
MinnFlyer

Size is not a pricing factor. A larger plane may use a few more dollars worth of wood, but it takes the same amount of man hours to design it and build it. In fact, larger planes are easier to build because you don't have so many tight spaces.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:18 AM
Firepower R/C
My Feedback: (10)

I think it is merely the law of supply and demand. Heck, I was put off when the P-40 came out at $349 with no retracts. But Tower knows that they can fetch a premium for this bird (and there is nothing wrong with this, technically)- like the rep in the video said, people have been asking for a Top Flite Corsair ARF for years. These sad, desperate folk will gladly pay (gasp) $400 because they have no self control, and they know the quality should be good as well. I know because I am probably one of these sad, desperate folk! Still. $400. Sheesh. I can get an ESM with air retracts for just a tad more.

I hope it will be a good plane. They have set our expectations high along with the price. It probably will be the best 60-sized Corsair ARF ever, and maybe Tower's best work yet.

Another thing... I wonder if they will do a big Corsair, like they did with the P-40?

Old 04-22-2011, 05:22 AM
Firepower R/C

Minnflyer is right for the most part, but size does play in a bit in the end price... the box is bigger, takes up more space in the shipping containers, etc. They might be easier to build in some ways, but how come they aren't cheaper then?
Old 04-22-2011, 05:40 AM
LDM

If you go by value and size , ESM wins hands down , but what none of you realize is that a new change in the hobby has occured in the last 24 months or so .
IN the past , the typical scope , vision and contact from the typical RC person was thru Tower , Hobby Lobby , Hobby People and Horison .
What has happed is the China supplier has in many cases thru Hobby King , ebay , Hobby Parts bypassed the US based distributor . In some cases , you can say it happen with ESM , but the example is differant , the new distributors are simply making much less profit them KMP , so you can thank Tomas for that FACT .
Let me give you some examples , remember Dymond Model Sport ?? 90% of his products were re-labled Turneg products , just like BalsaProducts out of NJ , all import , remarketed with a middle man .
Look at the price of Giant lipos , I stayed away from giant eletric flight because the cost of the batterys was insane .Now buying direct i have not had one single Qc issue with a cheap and I mean cheap giant turnegy lipo .
My point is , sure cost are going up from China beause China is going thru a labor revolution .Simple 2 min history/economic lession and I sure I will get all the Pms from the Hobby Importers telling me I am full of you know what , when most of them have not imported 10 years what I have one year in consumer products .
Chiana Govt is substidizing farming to keep the workers home on the farm , improve quality of life and try , I said try to disperse some of the incredible inbalance of wealth . As a result , the factorys have a labor shorage , yes its 100% true , so supply and demand is correct but not in the way its being discussed .
In addition with oil up , its secondary uses such as plastic and container cost all go up .
China and the way we use and import goods is changing faster then you can ever imagine . Everyone that is wishing the US to start to manuafacture once again just may see that history is truely a big cycle and I do belive we in the USA see manufacturing come back . I think its a slow burn , not noticiable in real jobs for 10 years but it will come back .
The China worker is now exposed to the world , and the next generation does not want to simply work for nothing when the big high tech companys come in and pay way above normal China wages and the Govt says "farm" its going to change the game .
So back on subject , you take the direct supply of suppliers comeing to the USA in formats that work on lower markup and you have one set of cost (lower ) .Then you take the typical good US distributor like the big 4 menthioned and you will see cost go up , they have zero control over there supply side , they are simply good marketers , hobbiest that in the lowest simplest sence -place orders (remembers that is in simple terms ) .
Old 04-22-2011, 05:54 AM
cocobear

Of course it has flaps and a airfoil stab. It is Top Flite. It will come covered in Genuine Flat Blue Monokote. All of our planes are thoroughly tested and revised until they are right. That is done right here in Champaign, IL. We have a highly trained staff with our designers averaging about 12~15 years in the industry. You can always buy cheap and get cheap.

DJ
Old 04-22-2011, 06:16 AM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: cocobear

Of course it has flaps and a airfoil stab. It is Top Flite. It will come covered in Genuine Flat Blue Monokote. All of our planes are thoroughly tested and revised until they are right. That is done right here in Champaign, IL. We have a highly trained staff with our designers averaging about 12~15 years in the industry. You can always buy cheap and get cheap.

DJ
NOT ALWAYS SO, IS IT? I wish they would have done that when they sold the RV4 1/4 scale advertised with "monocote" and then in reality it came covered with cheap cheap cheap garbage. A great model, I love it, one of the best ARFs around. But the covering: garbage. I assume you learned from that lesson (This one is a Great Planes model)

My point was that ESM are not "cheap" models. They are more inexpensive than your new pricing structure, they are OK. It's just that SOME of yours are over priced.

I think I just sold me a Top Filte P-51 ARF uncovered, giant scale for $399 - 30 = $ 369.00 will have to hurry up and order before Tower jacks up the price on that one too...:-)

Gerry
PS: As a lifetime builder (and ARF user) I know how much more it costs in glue, and covering to manufacture a bigger model. Come on:-) Did you ever cover a 1/4 scale? I like Towers products, and I have been a customer since ever, just objecting to some of the pricing.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:30 AM
Firepower R/C

Top Flite does make nice ARFs... nobody here is questioning that. I have many, and hope to have many more!

Question: will the price of the new batch of P-51 .60 ARFs, or T-6s, or P-47s or P-40s be going up to compare more closely with the Corsair, since the cost of producing has gone up significantly?
Old 04-22-2011, 06:32 AM
cocobear

I cannot say for sure, but industry trends would indicate that it would be wise to purchase now if you have an interest.

DJ
Old 04-22-2011, 11:49 AM
alanc

good answer, and its this sort of customer service that will help it succed,

ORIGINAL: cocobear

DJ
Old 04-22-2011, 04:46 PM
bladerunner1955
My Feedback: (72)

Great now I can have another electric corsair without the build, just haven some fun till my wingman went in. Hey Wolf, bet you can get a gasser going faster, you mad man. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd_a7...eature=related
PS ya older built up Top Flight corsair
Old 04-22-2011, 10:23 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I still find it hard to believe than anyone thinks $400 for a built, covered, flap equipped Corsair with all the hardware, decals, instructions, etc. is expensive! Having built a TF Corsair it blows my mind to think that there is any profit left in one of these at that price point no matter where in the world it may have been produced. Maybe it's just me.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:53 AM
Johnnie Red

+1 and if there is some profit; they sure deserve it because their product is A1. I think that there aren't many companies in R/C left like TF nowdays. All of TF's planes are built easy to assemble, very nice engineering (they use the right airfoils), light but sturdy constraction, easy to fly, very good aftersales...... the product is selling by itself. It is a Top Flite!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.