Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

I Saw it! TF 60 Size Corsair ARF!!!!!

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

I Saw it! TF 60 Size Corsair ARF!!!!!

Old 01-07-2013, 02:33 PM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Default RE: I Saw it! TF 60 Size Corsair ARF!!!!!

Ditto on the Sierras. Rugged, reliable, and once you factor in the frustration the other options add, the best bargain in the bunch.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:42 PM
cerralvo78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: kochj

RETRACTS FOR THE 60. size corsair:
I have read many reports from de Rocks experiences.... and others.... I will just place them all in one spot.... I hope all of you don't mind....

1. eflite 100 deg rotating retractsThe retract wire doesn't fit flush
- After few flights on pavement worked, but when deadstick ended in nose-over at end of runway= Bent wires''The wires are made out of Jelly and need to be bend back every flight'' Botom Line.......''If you Fly this corsair weekly, the eflite retracts will need much maintinence and upkeep. The gear will not hold up on anything other than a perfect landing You can not bend up new, sturdy wires, because of the way eflite made it....
-They will not last if you fly off Grass.. (This is da Rocks review)

2. Robart air Wire struts will bend up if you are hard on retracts...Reliable and lightweight. Shock struts are 100$ for pair and not included.

3 Cent. Jet retracts................. Sturdy. Rivits pull out and become loose in short order. Slop can develop in the unit, and reliability will be questionable.... If you do weekly maintinence and swap out loose fittings, they will work
(not sure if 100deg, if 90deg, it will be poor ground handling)

4.Sierra 100deg air retracts Heavy? Reliable, and will hold up as long as the plane does. Shock struts already made from barstock alum??? Might as well get these, if you intended to get Robarts and wanted the robostruts...IMHO....

A few others that daRock has used,,, He could post up his findings.....

WHAT ABOUT THE EFLITE ROTATING 100 DEGREES WITH THE ROBOSTRUTS?? WOULD THAT BE A BETTER OPTION THAN JUST THE WIRE???

Thanks!!

I went to the sierra retracts website but i do not see how to order them.....who sells them??

thanks
Old 01-07-2013, 07:28 PM
mike boxtall

As appealing as the Sierras are I cannot justify spending more on gear than what the arf cost. Just my opinion.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:03 AM
kochj

The gear for the 60 size is priced almost the same as the 1/5 or 50cc size...
They are pricey little turdz....
When I paid 400$ for my tf p51 giant (3 years ago), the main gear, rear retract, kit install, and tires came to be the
Same price as the plane...... They were robarts though.. That is how it works heavy metals....
I know from experience.... When your day of flying is cut short do to equipment failure...I can bet that
At that moment, you woukd pay double the cost if it meant flying all day w/o issues...
I put so much into the hobby, and get very little free time to actually fly...it is worth every penny
When it works.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:40 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

I've fallen out of love with the idea of this Corsair altogether at this point. What do you guys think I could get for a stripped one (RTC/ARC) with a NIB set of 615's on the For Sale board? I like the Mustang much better and my engine/servos are going into that one instead.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:00 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How much do you have in the 615s?
Old 01-15-2013, 03:07 PM
Michael211

@Da Rock: What is the blue masking tape for on your H9 Corsair you posted gear door pics of? The LADO retract design is awesome, they just need more encouragement to get on-da-ball and build us some 100 degree rotating ones! Heck even 95 degrees would be very helpful. (sigh!) [&o]

ps. Anybody else noticed that on the TF Corsair ARF box the plane in the foreground is 2-tone (dark blue/light grey) while the plane in the background is 3-tone (dark blue, light blue, light grey underbelly)? So obviously the TF designers knew what the correct color scheme was, they just didn't build it that way. LOL!

- Michael
Old 01-15-2013, 03:37 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Michael211

@Da Rock: What is the blue masking tape for on your H9 Corsair you posted gear door pics of? The LADO retract design is awesome, they just need more encouragement to get on-da-ball and build us some 100 degree rotating ones! Heck even 95 degrees would be very helpful. (sigh!) [&o]
That was for aerodynamics. By closing off the hole where the gear was installed, the top speed of the plane is increased by about 30-40mph. (yeah, I'm joking)

That was early on in the life of that model. I usually close off openings that show the innards and such. Hadn't gotten around to it yet. Didn't like the shiny reflections in flight.

ps. Anybody else noticed that on the TF Corsair ARF box the plane in the foreground is 2-tone (dark blue/light grey) while the plane in the background is 3-tone (dark blue, light blue, light grey underbelly)? So obviously the TF designers knew what the correct color scheme was, they just didn't build it that way. LOL!

- Michael
The operational Corsairs during WWII started out with a 3 color scheme. That went to 2 colors. Then just one. During that time the national insignia changed more often. Operational considerations threw even more different looks at the suckers. The two planes on the ARF box are probably both correct. In fact, they're probably both incorrect too, at least in some detail or another. There's a lot of minute detail to have fun with concerning our warbirds. Lots of fun....
Old 01-15-2013, 05:26 PM
Michael211

Has anybody found pictures of the prototype this ARF Corsair was modeled after, then?

Thanks.

- Michael

Old 01-15-2013, 06:15 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

The retracts have $129 on the label.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:30 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Has anybody found pictures of the prototype this ARF Corsair was modeled after, then?

Thanks.

- Michael
The paint job is pure fiction Michael, although the markings are supposed to be that of Ira Kepford. The only Corsairs that were blue/grey would have been the very early bird cage variants and even then the colors and pattern on the TF bird are not even close.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:36 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Kepford's airplane was actually in the tri-color scheme of dark blue, intermediate blue, and white.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:18 PM
PlaneKrazy214

I feel it would of been a better choice for TF to do the tri color scheme......I can only guess this was the quicker (not better) way to produce the model. Thats why I decided to do the tri color myself. I like the looks of it alot better. Slowly but surely it's getting there.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40438.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	1840995  
Old 01-16-2013, 10:46 AM
scottrc

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks great PlaneKrazy214. That is paint over the Monokote? I wish my MonoKote would have been trusted to stick better, although I am liking the results of glassing, I also have to watch the calories this plane is eating.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:41 PM
Michael211

@Chad, yeah that explains alot then. (groan!)

@PlaneKrazy214, that fuse looks *excellant* but assuming (and I believe I read earlier on in the posts) that you have painted the monocote covering... what's going to happen to the paint when the covering decides to change shape (ie. wrinkles, especially when exposed to warmer weather/direct sunlight) and needs to be re-shrunk? It's been my experience that these iron-on film coverings need to be re-shrunk periodically for a year or so at least before the covering finally stabilizes and quits acting-up everytime the temps change. What's going to happen to the paint on the covering when you have to re-shrink the covering to get it tight again?

I'd love to pull out my airbrush get some correctly colored paints and fix the color scheme on mine, but am concerned it may not work well in the long run... any thoughts ya'll?

ps. I just finished searching Google Images for "Corsair 29" and it came up with quite a lot of interesting pics of Corsairs (not all were marked 29 on the fuse... but all were interesting to look at). Try it!

- Michael

Old 01-16-2013, 02:23 PM
tevans55

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Another Kepford paint scheme.

Name:	Yw68492.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	1841214  
Old 01-16-2013, 02:50 PM
Michael211

My only problem with that scheme is that it's an artist's drawing/painting and not an actual picture of the subject matter. The question therefore remains: Was there an actual airplane that had this exact paint scheme? It seems that there wasn't.

- Michael
Old 01-16-2013, 03:07 PM
tevans55

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

F4U Corsair in action, Squadron/Signal publications copyright 1977 - page 16 shows Kepfords plane sitting on an island apron (New Georgia) with this paint scheme. I decided to do my Corsair in this scheme.

Name:	Db86496.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	1841226  
Old 01-16-2013, 03:36 PM
PlaneKrazy214

It is paint over monokote.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:38 PM
PlaneKrazy214

To this point I have been able to resolve any issues with a heat gun and mitt. If it gets bad I will peel off all the monokote and glass and paint. I will keep u updated as to how it holds up
Old 01-16-2013, 03:44 PM
Mpizpilot
My Feedback: (45)

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

@Chad, yeah that explains alot then. (groan!)

@PlaneKrazy214, that fuse looks *excellant* but assuming (and I believe I read earlier on in the posts) that you have painted the monocote covering... what's going to happen to the paint when the covering decides to change shape (ie. wrinkles, especially when exposed to warmer weather/direct sunlight) and needs to be re-shrunk? It's been my experience that these iron-on film coverings need to be re-shrunk periodically for a year or so at least before the covering finally stabilizes and quits acting-up everytime the temps change. What's going to happen to the paint on the covering when you have to re-shrink the covering to get it tight again?

I'd love to pull out my airbrush get some correctly colored paints and fix the color scheme on mine, but am concerned it may not work well in the long run... any thoughts ya'll?

ps. I just finished searching Google Images for ''Corsair 29'' and it came up with quite a lot of interesting pics of Corsairs (not all were marked 29 on the fuse... but all were interesting to look at). Try it!

- Michael

Actually, paint holds up very well on film coverings. All the ESM warbirds are have painted film on the wings and even if it does Need a tightening, it's no big deal. I have two other TF warbirds that I've painted over the covering and it takes re shrinking very well. Just make sure to do a really good job of tightening and attaching the covering before hitting it with paint.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:56 PM
Mpizpilot

ORIGINAL: PlaneKrazy214

I feel it would of been a better choice for TF to do the tri color scheme......I can only guess this was the quicker (not better) way to produce the model. Thats why I decided to do the tri color myself. I like the looks of it alot better. Slowly but surely it's getting there.
What did you use for the white stripes on the front top of fuse?
Old 01-16-2013, 09:31 PM
PlaneKrazy214

Thanks for all the compliments! I use Great Planes 1/4 inch trim tape in front of the cockpit. I pretty much just looked at some pics and guessimated the scale. I was apprehensive of doing it at first, but I was happy with results. From drawing it out to application it involved about two hours.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:40 PM
PlaneKrazy214

Mpizpilot,

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I am sure it will work out alright. As you can imagine I spent alot of time researching and deciding how I wanted it to look. The "042" coensides with the last 3 digits in my AMA number. However.....there was a number 042 Corsair that was flown by Lt. J.J. O'Connell off of the USS Kwajalein CVE 98 in I think '43 or '44. VMF 321, Took a little from this, a little from others and came up with my version. I always desire to modify the looks of my airplanes so they dont look ' out of the box'.

Name:	Wu60315.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	1841318  
Old 01-16-2013, 10:53 PM
Mpizpilot

ORIGINAL: PlaneKrazy214

Mpizpilot,

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I am sure it will work out alright. As you can imagine I spent alot of time researching and deciding how I wanted it to look. The ''042'' coensides with the last 3 digits in my AMA number. However.....there was a number 042 Corsair that was flown by Lt. J.J. O'Connell off of the USS Kwajalein CVE 98 in I think '43 or '44. VMF 321, Took a little from this, a little from others and came up with my version. I always desire to modify the looks of my airplanes so they dont look ' out of the box'.
Same exact boat as me. I do love the arfs, but I really love how easy it is to personalize them. Even if its just weathering and detailing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.