Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

ESM STUKA B to R-2 CONVERSION

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM STUKA B to R-2 CONVERSION

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 04:42 PM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ESM STUKA B to R-2 CONVERSION

That's an interesting choice, and yes, you should easily be able to fit the muffler in the cowl with that engine. Those J-Tec mufflers sure are pricey though, aren't they?

Let us know how the DLE20 works out for you. I'm curious as to whether or not the plane is underpowered with that engine. My plane was barely flyable on the 26cc Aerovate which is why I upgraded to the DLE30. However, my plane is a bit heavier than average due to the full cockpit and some other scale accessories. It weighs in at 17 lbs dry.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:02 PM
Firepower R/C
My Feedback: (10)

Work continues on the trapeze... I have custom made a spring that activates the trapeze and installed it on the mock-up. I am now installing the cable/pulley retraction system for some final tests. Then I will finish some CAD drawings and send parts off to be cut, casting other parts while I wait on the laser cutting.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:48 PM
Black Drape

Firepower

sounds good. I have decided to put the OS 160 in my Stuka, and was wondering if anyone out there could recomend what size three bladed prop to use on that engine.

Thanks guys
Ron
Old 04-18-2011, 05:01 AM
irocbsa

16 X 10 should work well.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:08 AM
alanc

Have to dissagree there, i dont think coarse pitches have a place on any warbird, if you are coming in for a powered landing, that pitch will not let it slow down, keep to a 6 pitch, i have great success with the graupner greys,
Old 04-18-2011, 01:07 PM
irocbsa

Maybe not, but if you want to keep the cost of the prop down, you have to stay under 16". An O.S. 160 might be underpropped on a 16 X 6. I don't have experience with this, it's just a guess based on the manufacturer's suggested 2 blades. Maybe a 16 X 8 would be better?
Old 04-27-2011, 05:59 AM
Firepower R/C

A little update on the trapeze... Several changes have been made. I have had to rework the cable retraction system to accomodate the latch that stows the trapeze after the bomb drop (the latch is there to relieve the servo of load after activation to prevent excess battery drain, AND to make sure that the trapeze doesn't fall down accidentally during handling/loading, which could lead to damage. If you want it down, you have to pull it purposely). I was using a pretty nifty compound pulley system for trapeze retraction, which worked well unless you flipped the activation switch again after a deployment... it would then pop the cable off of the pulley. So I then opted to make a custom, laser cut servo arm that will just pull it up. Problem solved. I also have switched to hinge points for the trapeze... simple and effective, and you can replace the hinge pins with wire to make it removable. I will continue to experiment with a breakaway hinge during testing, and may offer it as an option.

I have also finished the master trapeze from which I will mold the production parts from. It turned out GREAT! Very tedious to finish up the surface prep. I am now waiting for resin to arrive to start casting. I am considering making the trapeze installation have 3 options:

Option 1- trapeze deployed by gentle spring, then pulled up by small cable & latched by the activation servo (more scale)
Option 2- trapeze deployed by gravity, then you would have to apply negative G load to stow the trapeze (simpler)
Option 3- trapeze non functional, for looks only (bomb will still drop if desired)

Option 1 will look better and operate in a manner which will more closely represent the full scale function of the trapeze. The spring is needed because our bomb doesn't weigh 83 Kg (1/6th scale weight), and the slip stream will hold the trapeze back from full extention, AND there will be no mechanism to hold the bomb onto the trapeze until it fully extends (ala full scale). This is the option I will do on my Stuka.

Option 2 will be slightly lighter & simpler, but the trapeze will hang down after activation until you apply negative G, or go vertical. A burst of throttle may do it, as well. Also, the trapeze will disengage the bomb sooner with this option, due to the light weight of the bomb, and in my opinion will not look as good. So I think I will leave it up to the builder.

I am now working on the release mechanism mount and sway braces for the belly. They won't be as scale, but they will be small & effective. Pictures soon!
Old 04-27-2011, 06:14 AM
Firepower R/C

One more thing, I was thinking about a JBA 1.20 two stroke for power... any thoughts? I read a great deal of good things about these engines, and the fit will be great. Anyone out there have experience with this engine?
Old 05-04-2011, 06:55 AM
Firepower R/C

I have poured the silicone mold for the trapeze and am waiting for it to cure. I will cast my first one tonight. Since there doesn't seem to be much interest in the B to R-2 conversion, I think I will start a new thread exclusively concerning the trapeze, siren, bombs, etc.

Here's the new thread: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10500924/tm.htm
Old 03-07-2018, 07:29 AM
voytek007

Are you still in business?