Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Robart Retracts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 12:09 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Robart Retracts?

So I am a new Robart customer, at least as far as the retracts go. I am out fitting 3 of my aircraft with them. @ of them warbirds and one of them pretty large (16 lbs, 88" wing, 50cc gasser). The other 2 are .60 sized.

I would like to hear any comments on things to look out for, items to avoid, things to do etc. That will ensure success. I will be using Robo struts and the gear door mounts as well.

I have already realized that the Robo struts I rurchased for my Pica 190 are too short. I am planning on extending them. Has anyone ever had to deal with this?

Otherwise, they seem to perform great on the bench.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:18 PM
Rickles56

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Robart Retracts?

I've never had major problems with any of the Robart retracts or Robostruts being too short but I have had in the past and still had on my latest Robart setup, problems with the Easy Disconnects for air lines... normally used in removable wing joints.  I have found and purchased some brass threaded quick disconnects with "o" rings on them. They seem to work flawless when compared to the Robarts. Anyhow, I love their gear and on my biggest setup I used custom made retracts and wheels on a 1/9th scale B17 bomber (Don Smith design). They are huge, 5 yrs old and work great still to this day. The Glennis wheels have brakes on them, Glennis brakes. They are like a disk brake in a drum the way they are designed but have all so worked all this time. I am using an on/off air valve on the brakes now and wants to change to a proportional but don't have the cash yet.

Good luck with your Robarts!
Old 04-19-2011, 08:00 AM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

So I am a new Robart customer, at least as far as the retracts go. I am out fitting 3 of my aircraft with them. @ of them warbirds and one of them pretty large (16 lbs, 88'' wing, 50cc gasser). The other 2 are .60 sized.

I would like to hear any comments on things to look out for, items to avoid, things to do etc. That will ensure success. I will be using Robo struts and the gear door mounts as well.

I have already realized that the Robo struts I rurchased for my Pica 190 are too short. I am planning on extending them. Has anyone ever had to deal with this?

Otherwise, they seem to perform great on the bench.
If you haven't mounted or done anything with the 190 struts contact Robart about exchanging them. They have been really good at swapping for unopened retracts, struts, etc.

I have used Robarts retracts and struts over the years and currently have a set in an electric TF 60 P-51. Have several more sets for some upcoming 1/5 scale warbirds.

Take your time mounting them and doing the plumbing. They will work perfectly for a long time.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:14 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I did already open the package to one of the struts. I did not realize they made more than one size. Good to hear. It does seem to be a great product.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:23 AM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Call them anyway. If you have not done any more than that they may exchange.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:37 PM
prop wash

I have three sets of 622.5 and have never had a problem with them.I had a repair on a cylinder this winter and it was done in no time and for less than 20.00.Tom
Old 04-19-2011, 07:44 PM
kmtranmd
My Feedback: (71)

Regarding the struts and trunions, I find that Robart is conservative with their ratings. I prefer to go up one class size. Example, if I have a 25# warbird, I would consider using the 635 series rather than the 630 series. Little extra weight won't hurt much with the big warbirds. Regarding the air kits, I find that the variable rate air control valve to be a bit touchy sometimes and spendy for what they do, just control air flow into the retracts. I sometimes find just as nice to use the air line restrictors instead to slow the retract movements.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:55 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I use the 630 series on a 20 pound jet with no problems at all.

I find with the variable rate air control valve that as the pressure gradually bleeds through the retract which requires the least amount of air to operate cycles first, then the next & then the third, they do not operate together but that's no big deal for me.

I use the white nylon disconnects & have had no problems.

One thing to remember is you cannot have too much air volume, use a large tank or multiple tanks with the bigger systems.

I have broken a few trunions on the nosewheel in really bad landings but the way I look at it is it's a known weak link & much easier to repair than a pulled out retract. I mostly fly from grass fields with 1/4 inch piano wire legs. - John.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:21 AM
MX240
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would guess it is how you mount your new Robarts that is inportant. IF you don't get the mounting at the right angle the little pin that slides into the plastic cam slot that locks the gear up or down will give you trouble forever. Get that right and no problems for years. Either shim or grind the wooden mounting beams away till you get it free to slid into place.... Locked up & down

I have read where people have had to replaced the nylon/plastic cam with a metal one from another sorce but, I have never found the need as the Robarts cam is plenty strong for me.
Jim