Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Hobbyking P-51D Mustang 1.55m 61" build (pics)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Hobbyking P-51D Mustang 1.55m 61" build (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 12:13 AM
boostoman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobbyking P-51D Mustang 1.55m 61" build (pics)

I just recieved my P-51 mustang monster and all I have to say is wow this thing is HUGE!!!.

Below is the link of the plane i ordered for just $200:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=12166

there are other colour schemes of the plane which other might like but i thought i would go with the original scheme.
I also ordered a 3000 mAh 4S 40C battery for the plane
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10299

the details on the plane looked really good.

the packaging was good and the plane came with all the required parts.

the elevators are controled by two servos with is good considering the size of the plane. and all the servos are hidden neatly in th tail of the plane

for the control hinges I used Apoxy and made sure theuse alot of it so that the hinges will not come out during flight. below you cna see how the apoxy overflowed around the hinge

The wires in the kit comes pre-labeled with numbers which is very useful when your setting up the reciever.

The holes in the wing to slot the aluminum wind rods seem to be covered up with foam, I had to get a blade to clear out th foam so that the rods can slide through. The good thing is that the wing fit is snug. i will not be glueing the wing since it would be diffical to fit the plane in my car without removing the wings. the

Please come with a 45amp ESC but i think i might be changing it over since when I did the test run the esc the ESC got warm quicky.

After aopening and closing the canopy afew time the magnets started to fall off so I decided to use apoxy and reglue all the magnets so that the canopy will be held tightly.

Since the plane didnt come with any way to hold down the wings i devised a neat way to hold the wings together. firsly you need to remove the silver paint from the area under the landinggear bay. the easier way to do that is to get tape and let the take stip the glue (simialer to women when they wax ) this way the glue will gett a better hold on the foam.

then I got hobbyking's strong blue velcor (link) and glued them onto the wing using apoxy.

once the apoxy dries you can use the hook side of the velcro to connect the wing to the fuselage. and the good thing is your left with a clean finish and the connecters are hidden under the landing gear wheels.

here is a quick pick of my wiring setup.

When ground testing i like to check how the vertical thrust of the plane so i hold the plan ewith the nose facing up and turn up the throttle, this way i can check the pull power of the plane on vertical line ups . im sad to not that with a 3000mAh 4S battrey the wasnt enough static thrust to hold the plane up. so i will have to see how I can improve this eight by changing out the motor or the prop (but the prop and spinner looks so good !!!)

build summery:
    [*]all the details of the plane is very good but you have to be careful with foam plans since they can dent easly if you hit them.[*]I liked the idea of all the wiring being labled it makes it alot easier to get the electronics connected.[*]landing gear seems sold I open and closed it around 50 times and it seems that they are all working every time.[*]the good thing is that the landing gear have a jam protection mechanizam so if there is coming blocking the landing gear while it moves it stops, this way you will not burn out the motor.[*]make sure you elign the front landing gear wheels and test them.[*]I recomend to install the foam exhaust ports at the end of your build because they are very delicate and i had a few of mine brake off. you can also use foam safe CA glue around the all the exhaust to strengthen the bits[*]I was abit disapointed with the static thrust of the motor/prop comb but I will defnitly be trying a larger motor.[/list]here is the detailed spec of the actual plane as tested:
      [*]finished weight without battery: 2,081g (4.6 Ib)[*]prop size 14in the pitch seems low around 4 or 5[*]Motor size: 4250[*]max W: 690w[*]Max amp: 49A[*]estimated flight time with 3000mAh 4S : 10min[/list]I will be updating this thread with my flight details and with links to the flight vids and my review after flying
Old 03-30-2011, 01:39 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hobbyking P-51D Mustang 1.55m 61

Outside of a few QC issues , you will be very happy with the way these planes fly .They really redefine foam to a new level .I have the FMS P40 , Corsiar , Hellcat and P47 .
many will snub there noses at the EPO , but the detail captured in these planes is comperable to a $800 yellow aircraft offering.Trust me this is from a guy who was flying only fuel planes .Your plane looks great and congrats on the purchase and great detailed build recap.
Keep us posted on the flight review
Thanks
LDM
Old 03-30-2011, 03:05 AM
VIRGINIA MODEL BUILDERS
My Feedback: (159)

I would love to hear more
Old 03-30-2011, 12:56 PM
bladebender
My Feedback: (5)

Please keep me informed would like to here more to
Old 06-09-2011, 11:14 PM
boostoman

After flying this great plane a few times and noticing how hot the ESC and battery gets once i land I decided to make a few modification on the airflow through the plane.

I first started with the air intake. the airflow through the intake seemed abit too small so I increased the size of the intake at the bottom of the cowling without spoiling the esthetics, this modification also helped when i tighten the prop to the motor to hold the motor with longneck pliers.

after that I made holes with a 4mm drill bit in the center firewall of the fusalage to get better airflow through the fuse.

the last change was to increase the size of the exit hole at the back of the fuse. in the picture you can see the change in size.

after doing testing I noticed that the ESC supplies would get really hot during flight temps would reach at around 50-60C it seems that the esc was working close to it's limits so i decided to change over the ESC to a 60Amp trunigy esc and it this wouldnt give out as much heat. and there isnt much wieght increase

I have flown the plane with a 2200 5S lipo and it made a world of a diffrance in flight better top speed below are the number i was getting from the 5S setup:

V:16.78
W: 1200w
A: peak 69Amp
this data is with a fresh battery so expect a 20% decrease with all the number after the fist 10sec of flight.

next I will be testing a 6S setup.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	vt58338.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	1621334   Click image for larger version

Name:	hc91816.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	1621335   Click image for larger version

Name:	ch95512.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	1621336   Click image for larger version

Name:	le92390.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	1621337   Click image for larger version

Name:	mx23425.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	1621338   Click image for larger version

Name:	sj71920.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	1621339  
Old 06-10-2011, 01:21 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you esc take the larger battery
Old 06-10-2011, 04:38 AM
boostoman

yes the trunigy esc can support larger voltage battries, below is the link with all the specs of the ESC it can support up to 5S battries

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=2166