Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Spitfire Engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 02:13 AM
Justflying1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spitfire Engine

Hello i am building a ESM Spitfire 72.5 inch and would like some recommendations on engines. I would like the plane to sound like a plane. I would also want the engine to stay in the cowl and not exposed. Should i stick with 2 stroke, 4 stroke, or gas. What size would you recommend. Please keep in mind that this plane will be flown as a scale plane and no 3d will be performed as i believe if you want to do extreme aerobatics you build a plane to suit. Your help will be much appreciated.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:46 AM
trent smith

Default RE: Spitfire Engine

Hi Justflying1, I would suggest that you look at the thread om the very same plane you are constructing as this very question would have been raised. A nice 4 stroke would sound nice I think but I am a gas man and have a mld 28cc in a 72inch esm FW 190 and it goes well. Cheers Trent.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:22 AM
Justflying1

Thanks for the info. I cant seem to find anything on a ESM spitfire. I would like to heir from someone who has got one of these planes and the type of engine installed. I would also like to now if engine fitted inside cowl.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:01 AM
Dash7ATP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Justflying1

Hello i am building a ESM Spitfire 72.5 inch and would like some recommendations on engines. I would like the plane to sound like a plane. I would also want the engine to stay in the cowl and not exposed. Should i stick with 2 stroke, 4 stroke, or gas. What size would you recommend. Please keep in mind that this plane will be flown as a scale plane and no 3d will be performed as i believe if you want to do extreme aerobatics you build a plane to suit. Your help will be much appreciated.
Check out the engine Iused on my CMPP-40 which is about the same sized model at 72 inches. I used a YS-120 which has plenty of power for this model. This like will take you to as page I put up to cover some mods Imade while building this ARF. Look for Post #2.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10076877

DAsh
Old 06-05-2011, 04:24 AM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A 4 stroke would most likely sound better than a 2 stroke, gas or glow.

Multi cylider engines sound better to me, but I don't know if you could squeeze even this into the nose of your Spit: http://www.laserengines.com/engines.htm#160
Old 06-05-2011, 04:42 AM
vik
My Feedback: (1)

go eletric and buy sound module
It will sound like spitfire
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMh5CXyb9_I
I just don´t know if the Griffon sound is available
Old 06-05-2011, 08:21 AM
kenair
My Feedback: (10)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi, no model engine will sound like a Merlin, gassers sound like a chain saw, 4 strokes sound like a 4 stroke and electrics hum.

I prefer gassers becasue they don't slime. My buddy just flew an IMP Spitfire about the same size on electric, flew awesome, he flies only electrics, and another buddy is going to fly a 78" Dynaflight Spit on a Saito 180, he prefers 4 strokes.

If your main goal is to hide the engine, then electric may be the way to go.

cheers - ken
Old 06-05-2011, 09:49 AM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Some elecrics sound pretty good as is. I think you need lots of power and a prop that has more pitch than you can really make use of.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeF83IqcvvY[/youtube]
Old 06-05-2011, 01:43 PM
kenair
My Feedback: (10)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi, just got home from the flying field, a buddy was flying his 72" Kyosho Spitfire with a Saito 150, the Saito flew the plane very nice!
Old 06-05-2011, 04:13 PM
CAPT John
My Feedback: (15)

I have the ESM spitty and orignally had an OS 1.20 Surpass III pumper. It flew well, but was a bit underpowered. I now have a Saito 1.80 installed and it flies her great, but is a bit fuel thirsty. IMO, the Saito 1.50 would be a very good match.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:39 PM
Experten109/40
My Feedback: (-1)

ummmm not sure if you guys read it, but he wants the engine hidden. so that said,
& if he dosn't mind glow fuel.. a rcv 120sp 4-stroke would fit the bill nicely.

secondly, why would a 120 be underpowered. the cmp Bf109 (same size/weight roughly)flew with an OS 108
with plenty of authority. you guys 3-Ding them or something lol.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:47 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

I had a cmp spitfire at 72" ws. Its similar to the ESM in size. I flew mine with a saito 120. While not being over powered it had enough to fly scale and looked and sounded good in the air. I had two of these planes. It would probably have flown better on a saito 150, but the 120 was plenty. Most of the engine was concealed inside the cowl but you had to have some cooling holes.
Edwin
Old 06-06-2011, 09:30 AM
Tomcat_104
My Feedback: (42)

I chose a RCV-120 because it fit easily in the cowl and turned a 4 blade proper in my GS Spitfire. My son is building his first warbird, also a Spitfire but a TF 60 size and also chose an RCV all be it a 60 for the same reasons. We just bench ran the motor last week and the sucker ran forever on a tank of fuel and we ran it very rich. Be forewarned though, you need a STOUT starter undil the engine is broken in good.

David
Old 06-06-2011, 09:57 AM
tevans55

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

http://youtu.be/xpTW87KRNzc

Here is my ESM Spitfire with an OS 120 AX completly enclosed in the cowl. I have a wrap around Jtec muffler. Hope this helps your decision.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ay75994.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	371.1 KB
ID:	1619749  
Old 06-06-2011, 10:09 AM
Experten109/40

wanna share the secret on how you did that? stock location? cause looks like I stand corrected.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:18 AM
tevans55

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Experten-

Engine is sitting on engine mount included in the kit and bolted to the stock firewall. No custom work and the Jtec muffler fits perfect. I even have room for a 3500 mAh SR nicad sitting on a mount above the engine for nose weight. Still had to add alot of lead to the nose to get it where I am happy.

Forgot I had the original photos of my setup...I have moved the battery above the engine now.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	cz80036.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	349.6 KB
ID:	1619763  
Old 06-06-2011, 10:27 AM
Experten109/40

yup, I stand corrected! very nice work!
Old 06-06-2011, 02:17 PM
j-d

Laser 120, RCV130-CD, or RCV120-SP: compact, reliable, efficient.
[ul][*] Laser Engines
"Laser engines dominate International and British FAI scale competitions with a unique combination of power, reliability simplicity of operation and extremely high quality. The power and reliability of Laser engines is perfect for the competition modeller, serious individual sports modeller and novice. The majority of our development and testing is actually flying models. Components are manufactured in our factory in England from the highest quality materials available using the latest CNC machinery."
[*] RCV Engines
"RCV’s unique rotating cylinder valve has eclipsed the need for the usual complicated four stroke valve train, whilst proving extremely durable and hard wearing. With beneficial cylinder wear and heat distribution properties over conventional engines and nothing to adjust, unlike a poppet valve system, your RCV engine is practically a maintenance free unit and with due care and consideration it will last you a modelling lifetime."
[/ul]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Qo38879.pdf (691.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: pdf
Mh20647.pdf (308.5 KB, 38 views)
Old 06-06-2011, 02:52 PM
WarbirdPilots
My Feedback: (209)

I have had three engines in my spitfire. They go as follows. OS 120 AX, just like Tevans55 above. Flew the plane well, but you must break in that engine very well to ensure it runs well inverted. Mine ran flawlessly. But as tevans55 noted you also will have to add a lot of weight to the nose. I also added the large battery and made a sheet metal tray that sat above the engine with lots of lead on it. To ensure proper cooling for an engine fully cowled, I opened up the exhaust stacks to ensure proper airlow up the engine and out the stacks.

The next engine I put in the spitfire was an RCGF 26cc. I am converting all my planes to gas because I am tired of having to clean all the oil off the plane. Engine fit in the cowl very well but had terrible power. This engine was extremely underpowered to the point the plane was a handful to fly at full throttle. Many other 26cc engines may fly the plane but the RCGF is a dog. Do not put it in your plane.

After the failure of the 26cc, I upgraded to an MLD 35CC gas engine to ensure that their are no issues of the plane being under powered. I have also come to the conclusion that a proper running engine and good flying plane is always more important than having an engine enclosed. I have the MLD 35cc installed but it is a much longer engine and is causing me to have to move the cowl out an additional 1/2 inch. this is fine with me because it means less weight in the nose but a little work to fill in where the cowl doesn't reach the proper spot on the fuselage. The MLD also drops about 1/2 inch below the cowl.

I know the DLE 30cc will fly this plane extremely well too.

Hope this helps.

Adam
Old 06-06-2011, 03:02 PM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

Take a look at the Syssa Sap 180, which is a 30cc gas engine made in the USA. One of the guys in my club has this engine in his ESM spit and it fits very nicely inside the cowl (except of course the engine head and the exhaust tubes extend out the bottom of the cowl) It flies this plane very well. This engine has a rear carb and a rear exhaust and muffler that come standard on the engine. It costs more than the typical Chinese gas engine but since it has the muffler for a nice in cowl already with the engine it fits nicely into the plane and you don't need to spend $90 to $100 on a wrap around muffler to get the muffler to fit inside the cowl.

After seeing how the ESM spit flies and looks with this engine the Syssa 180 to me is THE engine to buy for this plane or for the ESM mustang. On the other hand I don't know what this engine would cost you in Australia if you can get it there.

Ed
Old 06-06-2011, 10:02 PM
Justflying1

Thank you so much for all the info it has been great. I have now narrowed my choice to a 0s120ax, DLE 30, or possibly DLE20. Im not sure if the DLE20 will be to underpowering so i will have to do some more investigation . Also these engines will be easy for me to get over here in Australia.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:08 PM
Justflying1

Tevans55 what material did you use on the outside of the guns on that Spitfire it looks great.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:08 AM
j-d

Thank you so much for all the info it has been great. I have now narrowed my choice to a 0s120ax, DLE 30, or possibly DLE20. Im not sure if the DLE20 will be to underpowering so i will have to do some more investigation . Also these engines will be easy for me to get over here in Australia.
Two-stroke engines? What a shame! [:'(]
Old 06-07-2011, 08:25 AM
Tomcat_104
My Feedback: (42)

Yep, I agree with you j-d.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:03 PM
Me410

I considered the OS 1.20 AX for a similar project. But maybe Tevans55 and Twinturboz can give us an idea how much fuel they consume? My old OS 91 two stroke is a nice compact engine, but boy does it suck fuel. In my Topflite SeaFury ( 15 LB ) it will drain a 16 oz tank in 6.5 min if i go full throttle most of the flite, which i usually do. At 35$ a jug for 15% that,s almost a buck a minute

Tom

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.