Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 54 of 111 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 2753

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: CARF F4U-1 Corsair build thread

ORIGINAL: Mustangman40

So what's next for Big Hog and the team?

Gary,
    do you plan on competing with the corsair again this year, will you continue to work on scaling it out more ( if that is even possible)? Or does a plane like this get retired?

I have watched from to start on your road to Top Gun and have learned so much from you guys along the way. But now that TG 2012 is in the books, where do you go from here?

Jimbo
    Hi Jimbo.
    Just incase i was misunderstood i was refering to myself about next year . I have a few projects going that i hope will enhance our hobby.

But it sure would be great to see Big Hog fly again .
    Dan
    P-38 Lightning Brotherhood #21
    Custom Pipes rc

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: panhandler

So what's next for Big Hog and the team?

Gary,
    do you plan on competing with the corsair again this year, will you continue to work on scaling it out more ( if that is even possible)? Or does a plane like this get retired?

I have watched from to start on your road to Top Gun and have learned so much from you guys along the way. But now that TG 2012 is in the books, where do you go from here?

Jimbo
    Hi Jimbo.
    Just incase i was misunderstood i was refering to myself about next year . I have a few projects going that i hope will enhance our hobby.

Dan
    Dan,
    look forward to seeing what you will be coming out with..... My question was for Gary, just wondering what was next on his list is all..

jimbo
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #92

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gary had posted this on RCSB's site

It was a great ride. 1st at Toledo, then 2nd at Top Gun. The owner took the plane home with him and it many never fly again.

Now we move on. Two more Corsairs to build, one being our own. Soon, the thread will continue with a fresh look and new builds.

Also, we are proud to have been selected to be on the Meister team of builders.

Our first thread on that team will be a build thread of the Meister Zero.

Let the building continue.
    Best Regards,
    Wayne Fussell Pres. Solo Propellers & RC Products

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Can't wait to see Meister Scale Zero built. I bring one with me back to Serbia, for my friend...

Regards

Mirce
    Rivets, Screws, Panel lines, Detail & Finish Sets, Paint Masks and other equipment for scale warbirds - www.nsmodelers.rs

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

Gary,, I noticed Zombie in a few pics others have posted,, did it compete as well?
    Hello guys. For whatever reason, my RCU problems have been mysteriously fixed. I'M BACK!!!!!!!!

Yes, Zombie flew well. Absolutely no issues with her. However, I spent long hours on some one else's plane (never again), and sacrificed my own competitiveness. The one night I did get good sleep, Thursday night, I was able to score in the nineties on my Friday morning flight. I'm sure I could have flown better.

I didn't make the cut and missed the last round on Sunday. I also missed the war bird gaggle on Saturday, again, working with the Corsair, but I was able to get Zombie in the Sunday gaggle and had a lot of fun flying with all those WWII birds.
    Cheers,
    Gary P. / use Steel Powder for ballast not lead. PM me for more information.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: panhandler

So what's next for Big Hog and the team?Β*

Gary,
    do you plan on competing with the corsair again this year, will you continue to work on scaling it out more ( if that is even possible)?Β* Or does a plane like this get retired?

Jimbo
    Hi Jimbo.
    Just incaseΒ* i was misunderstood i was refering to myself about next year . I have a few projects going that i hope willΒ* enhance our hobby.

Dan
    Dan,
    look forward to seeing what you will be coming out with..... My question was for Gary, just wondering what was next on his list is all.. [img][/img]

jimbo
    We have two CARF Corsairs, one of our own and one not, a Meister P-47 for someone, and a Meister Zero of our own. Not sure how all the work will be divided up yet.

As for my work on Big HOG. The plane was sent home with it's owner (with the gear down as he has no transmitter for it). I will never fly it, or work on it again. Only he knows what will become of it, or what his plans for it are, if he even has any.

He is graciously making sure we all have Trophies, and he gave us the prize money to split among us. For this I am grateful, as I am also for the opportunity to work with such a wonderful plane.

It was because of this experience that I was bitten by the CARF bug. When I had the opportunity to trade for one, I jumped at the opportunity. I will be flying our own!!!!!!

If I ever compete again, it will be with personal equipment. I would be honored to have Dino fly another Corsair for us, and I know he would relish the opportunity (they look very good together), but the team will be ours.
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

All things considered I think you did a great job. Let me
    know how that flat spin works out for you.
    You gonna paint that?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: pappy 883

I can't imagine what went wrong with the static score's. Did the judge's give any suggestion for any correction's ?
    I can't see anything wrong with it other than the Moki doesn't look like a Pratt & Whitney 2800 .
    joe
    Guys, it was the learning curve more than anything else. First, I will never stoop to building a plane knowingly wrong or incorrect, just to match a wrong three-view, as some professional competitors will do. What can be done is to document where you deviate from the incorrect 3-views with pictorial proof. We did this in many cases, but simply missed a few things. Yes, we could have had a couple more points simply by doing more work on the documentation, without touching the plane. This would have been enough for 1st place. Yes, the plane could use a little tweaking as well. Very minor things. I never dreamed that servos buried deep in the tail wheel bay would be an issue. Painting them white would have been easy. They were NOT visible unless you stuck your nose in there. Learning curve.

Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: JSZ

All things considered I think you did a great job. Let me
    know how that flat spin works out for you.
    I chickened out during the gaggle, but I did get a fairly low inverted pass in there.

She will spin inverted at the Balsa Bees field soon. I'll get some video.
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ck this video out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m13Lr1celXY
    Thank you so much for doing this John. I wish I had your dad's computer skills. It is a wonderful showcase of how well this plane fly's and how well Dino fly's her. I hope he has another chance to fly one in competition.

Wayne, thank you for all your nice comments as well. And for the support we got from you and Solo Props. Much appreciated. I enjoyed the experience, and just being there with so many of the guys in the hobby I have read about and watched for years. I just wish I had been able to spend more time soaking it up. As it was, we wrenched on the Corsair all week, as you watched. It payed off in the end, but I could do with less stress.
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Down and Locked

From the Down and locked shop Ron and I would like to thank everyone involved with Gary Brian Dom Dino and Team Vought for what I consider one of the most elaborate and scale detailed aircraft built for Top Gun. I spent the better part of 20 years competing in professional motorsports and I for one understand the labor of love and dedication by the primary builders of Big Hog, and would simply like to say job well done and we are honored to have had the opportunity to be a part of it. Mitch Stott
    Mitch, your gear was a huge hit. The realistic way the operate was noticed and commented on. Thanks buddy.
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It's fairly simple if you have the right software.
    You gonna paint that?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: BobH

The Toledo show isn't really a competition.. its a show. A beauty contest for the most part.

TG should be a real competition. The judges have their references provided by the enterant. I don't know how the judges saw the servo but obviously they did. Its not hard to lose a quarter point here or there and it does add up.
    I would agree that the Top Gun judging is much more critical, but I respectfully ask anyone to build a scale warbird and take it to Toledo, and see how hard it is to take 1st place even there. We know first hand how hard any 1st place finish can be. None are taken for granted, and all are very much cherished, because it is fellow modelers appreciating our work.

I have said before, judging is a tough job and one that disappoints more builders than it rewards. Only a few can place. I would like to thank all the judges at Top Gun for all the somewhat thankless work they do. I have no problem with any of their criticisms of my flying, building, or documenting. Constructive criticism is always welcome, as you all know from following our build threads. Several judges stopped by and visited us in the tent to give praise and explain things we could do better. Thanks again guys. It was a great experience. And thanks goes to Frank Tiano as well for keeping it going and making it such a classy event.
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It's fairly simple if you have the right software.
    Yea, right. That is what they told me about CAD.
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

David, looking forward to all those wonderful pictures.
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm actually finishing up the photos now for Frank. I hope to get them in the mail tomorrow. I'll post a few more here on this thread shortly.
    ORIGINAL: ram3500-RCU

David
    www.warbirdandrcairplanephotography.com

Flickr page
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/46202366@N07/sets/

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Dwhart24

I'm actually finishing up the photos now for Frank. I hope to get them in the mail tomorrow. I'll post a few more here on this thread shortly. [img][/img]

Can't wait buddy.
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

For some reason I am getting an error trying to upload photos.

David
    www.warbirdandrcairplanephotography.com

Flickr page
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/46202366@N07/sets/

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Dwhart24

For some reason I am getting an error trying to upload photos.

Welcome to my RCU world.[8D]
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Some of the judges just go too far. For some guy to have looked that deep into the tailwheel area to see part of a servo and take points off, is just crazy. He should have been looking at the tailwheel hook, the spring suspension, the tailwheel, the door hinging, and the way the doors closed around the tailwheel. That judge could never match, or come close to the craftmanship that Gary and his team did. Nor understand the skill required.
    We in the Federal Government have no sense of humor that we are aware of.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The biggest controversy for me is flying against planes with gyros on all axis. IMO humble opinion, they should be in their own class (jets) (don't see this happening anytime soon because of the impact on the schedule) and compete against each other. This would take the question of whether they are on board or not (they are allowed for Top Gun), out of the equation.

Don't mean to start anything here, but this was discussed in many circles during the week. The judges look for steady fast and slow passes, as well as coordinated turns, and the gyro controlled planes have a distinct, and some would say, unfair, advantage.
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gary I think you guys did a fantastic likeness no matter what the judges said, you and your team should be proud of what you acomplished in a very short time. I really thought you would win that is a remarkable plane very well done.

Bruce
    JACK OF ALL MASTER OF NONE

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: splinterz25

Β*Gary I think you guys did a fantastic likeness no matter what the judges said, you and your team should be proud of what you acomplished in a very short time. I really thought you would win that is a remarkable plane very well done.

Bruce
    Thanks Bruce. I have to say, we had so many visitors to our tent to admire the planes. It was fun visiting and talking about the builds and answering questions. I can't tell you how mant pictures were taken by folks we had never met. It was a wonderful environment for us all.

One young man came in and I noticed he had an issue of M.A.N. that Zombie was in. I saw him looking at the magazine and it seemed he was looking for planes he saw in that issue. I pointed out that he was looking at one (Zombie) and pointed it out in the magazine. Turned out he was getting autographs and I obliged. Then I pointed out Wayne's Meister P-47 that was also in that issue. He got Wayne's autograph as well. It was very cool.

Every day it was something different. A lot of fun.
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The biggest controversy for me is flying against planes with gyros on all axis. IMO humble opinion, they should be in their own class (jets) (don't see this happening anytime soon because of the impact on the schedule) and compete against each other. This would take the question of whether they are on board or not (they are allowed for Top Gun), out of the equation.

Don't mean to start anything here, but this was discussed in many circles during the week. The judges look for steady fast and slow passes, as well as coordinated turns, and the gyro controlled planes have a distinct, and some would say, unfair, advantage.
    Here is a little something I found. One can draw their own reference.
    http://www.rcjetaddiction.com/forum/.../top-gun-rules
    Best Regards,
    Wayne Fussell Pres. Solo Propellers & RC Products

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I agree that planes or jets with gyros should be in a competition by themselves. Despite having to be set-up and "learned" to use, they create an unfair and noticable advantage. After all, isn't that what they are designed to do?

I personally, do not use gyros. I learned to fly my planes and jets without them, and for the most part, I make coordinated turns. When I don't, I see the plane sliding through the turn, and then I correct the turn with rudder input.
    We in the Federal Government have no sense of humor that we are aware of.