Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 62 of 111 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 2753

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: CARF F4U-1 Corsair build thread

Got the pipes from Dan and will be working on the exhaust over the week end. I'm going to make patterns for him so we can reproduce the exhaust shrouds and make them available as well. We have had a fare amount of interest in them and they really set that area of the plane off. Stainless I think, just like the full scale ones. Some shaping will need to be done by the builder, but I will include some tips on this. Hope to have some pictures soon.
    Cheers,
    Gary P. / use Steel Powder for ballast not lead. PM me for more information.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I a sure there would be interest in a fabricated Guns and gun shrouds with pulse lights Kit also. I would be the first to buy em.
    Vern

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: vfrank59

I a sure there would be interest in a fabricated Guns and gun shrouds with pulse lights Kit also. I would be the first to buy em.
    Vern
    Vern, we are working on that.

We are currently installing a gun and gun sound system in another Corsair, so we thought we would see what we would need to charge to reproduce a package deal. We are also putting a lighting package together including the formation lights on the bottom of the wing. It would already be soldered up with plug-in ends and already sized for the CARF Corsair. There are a total of (9) nav and formation lights on the Corsair not counting the landing light (which would never be on during daylight operation). We have been asked about these items as well.

Brian works professionally in electronics and is very good at this stuff.

Perhaps we could do a "wing package" and a "fuselage package" as options. Stay tuned.
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sounds good. I am not in a rush. I have about 10 flights on it and feel comfortable now. So I just wanted to detail it a bit more. The wing light package is on my list too, So when you guys start getting things figured out. Put my name on confirmed list.
    Thanks
    Vern

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sounds good. I am not in a rush. I have about 10 flights on it and feel comfortable now. So I just wanted to detail it a bit more. The wing light package is on my list too, So when you guys start getting things figured out. Put my name on confirmed list.
    Thanks
    Vern
    Will do Vern.

Except for the nav light on the top of the fuselage, it would be pretty easy to retrofit an already built plane.
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Another look at a lens and lead, ready to install. This is the formation light on the top of the right wing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ay73467.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	1829750  
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here you can see this light near the trailing edge of the right wing.

Name:	Us54499.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	1829773  
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Another view. You can see all three lights on the right outer panel, and the nav light on the spine of the fuselage.

Name:	Ca81250.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	1829779  
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This one just for fun. Dino Digorgio, our pilot, and my brother, with the Corsair on the judging table at Top Gun. This was fun.

Name:	Pn37060.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	1829785  
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gary, if you would, when you get to the point of fabing and installing guns. Please take some measurements of exactly where you drill and place the guns in the wing. I have some reference material but not good enough for me to risk drilling in the wrong spot!
    thanks,
    Vern

[img][/img]

Name:	Rp44650.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	117.9 KB 
ID:	1829791   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qo40203.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	1829792  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gary, if you would, when you get to the point of fabing and installing guns. Please take some measurements of exactly where you drill and place the guns in the wing. I have some reference material but not good enough for me to risk drilling in the wrong spot!
    thanks,
    Vern

[img][/img]
    Good looking bird Vern.

I have that measurement somewhere. I'll find it and post it here in the thread. I will say that if a guy has the folding wing version, and wants to install guns, you need to move them about 1/2" farther out the leading edge from the scale location, because of the front hinge. The plug-in version is no problem for the scale location.

This ship has folding wings, so the guns are slid out just a bit, but there was no mention of this by the judges, and they had the 3-views in front of them. I don't think is is a problem.

Name:	Ay75802.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	1829794  
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Clarification.

The above post is regarding adding actual gun barrels containing the gun lighting. If you are just doing the holes in the leading edge and shrouds, it is no problem, on either version.
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I love this video from our Top Gun appearance. Here is the link again. Hope you do to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onOX3fJKZtw

Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What a great time that was, I had a blast with you guys.
    You gonna paint that?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: JSZ

What a great time that was, I had a blast with you guys.
    Ditto buddy.

I like this one too. Listen for the strafing run with guns blazing at about 1 min in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diExRexiLZo&feature=plcp
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Gary,

Somewhere back in this thread I remember that you had tried using servos to drive the main gear doors, but without success as they burned out.
    That's got me scratching my head to figure out what the problem is ?

I have rigged up a temporary linkage with a standard sized servo, and all seems to work fine, correct movement, no major load on the servo and the wheel clears the servo and linkages ok (see photos).

So I plan to try this out and avoid any air systems on the aeroplane - any thoughts ??

Steve D

Name:	Vt57430.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	1831866   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bw73244.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	1831867  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Ram can you explain the function and sequence to the small doors that open and close on top of the wing?
    I thought those were part of the wing folding mechanism for clearance in full scale.

Thanks, awesome plane cant wait to start mine!
    Like a midget in a urinal I knew I had to stay on my toes...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gary, I followed along with this whole thread... I love the job y'all did with the corsair. It should have won Top Gun.
    Derrick
    SIG Brotherhood #5
    Spitfire Brotherhood #28
    P-47 Brotherhood #77
    AMA # 919758

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: DGUY

Gary, I followed along with this whole thread... I love the job y'all did with the corsair. It should have won Top Gun.
    Derrick
    Thanks. I have some thoughts i'll share this evenig
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Chris Nicastro

Hey Ram can you explain the function and sequence to the small doors that open and close on top of the wing?
    I thought those were part of the wing folding mechanism for clearance in full scale.

They cover the main hinge when the wings are down.
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The gear door operation with servos wasl in my P-47 thread. Wind turbulence was holding the doors and burning up servos. You need to make sure you give the servo as much mechnical advantage ais possible. I'm waiting on Mitch at D&L to come out with his gear door actuator. Servos are too risky IMO. If you stall one, the effect on the system could be very bad.
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ram3500-RCU

Thats what I thought and in the video you can see them flip open when your flaps are down. When the flasp come up the doors close again. There must be a significant change in pressure over the wing sucking them open when the flaps are down.
    Like a midget in a urinal I knew I had to stay on my toes...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ram3500-RCU

Thats what I thought and in the video you can see them flip open when your flaps are down. When the flasp come up the doors close again. There must be a significant change in pressure over the wing sucking them open when the flaps are down.
    Yes, the springs we used were not strong enough to overcome the turbulence and internal pressure from the open intakes. Some guys have used servos and hard points to work them and that is probably the way to go, unless we could figure out a way articulate them with linkage, better still.
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: DGUY

Derrick
    OK DGuy, I'm home from work and at my computer. Here are some thoughts on our experience at Top Gun.

First of all, from my observations, the judges take their work very seriously, and I appreciate that.

Second, we came within 1.25 points of winning 1st place in our class and in retrospect, I should have done a better job on the presentation. Here is what I would have done differently.
    - I would turn all the lighting on for effect
    - I would operate the gun system for effect
    - I would have done a better job with the presentation:

Comments were made that the plane "looked too new". At the period in time that we modeled the plane, it had only been in service for 6 weeks, not 6 months. It would have still looked fairly good. I didn't take the time to explain all this. It looked the way we modeled it for a reason, not because we don't know how to distress an airplane.

I should have explained my omission of the red boarders around the insignias under the wings. We had photo evidence that they were not present on this batch of planes.

I never explained the kill markings and the reason for their appearance.

I could have pointed out the scale hole in the cowl for the service plank.

I should have pointed out the fact that VF17 operated from land thus no time below decks, resulting in a little more fading, as I depicted.

I could have noted that the white strips on the nose were really medical tape over the panel seams to lessen oil and fuel leaks getting on the wind screen and that our model had actual medical tape in scale size and location.

All we needed was another 1.25 points in static. Dino could not have done a better job flying, being human. He said it was some of the highest flight scores he has ever gotten. She flies that well, and presents that good in the air.

- Another thing is the importance of the 3-views. These MUST match the model, even if not accurate. This fact I have a problem with, but the reality is, the judges must go by what you give them, it is all they have to go by. We built a plane that was as accurate as we could make it. Problem was, most 3-views are NOT 100% accurate, or even close in some cases. The model must match, right or wrong, unless you provide pictures to prove otherwise. Pictures trump 3-views, and if the two don't match, it is up to you to point it out.

- I should have painted the servos in the tail wheel gear bay white. I lost some score for their being visible from underneath. This was perhaps the most petty observation that I really didn't agree with. But it is a simple fix.

Bottom line, I think we really could have taken 1st place this year with a better approach to static, and there is no doubt in my mind, given another crack at it, it IS a first place airplane. The plane that beat us has competed several years, and been improved every year, and we still almost beat it the first time out of the gate.

However, we were not the owners, and so we do not have the opportunity to make the necessary adjustments to the plane and presentation and just go for it again, as so many builders do at Top Gun. Most winning planes have been there before and gone through the "correction" process.

Thank you for the vote of confidence. I know many of my fellow builders and modelers have enjoyed the Corsair and this thread.

This is not the end.

Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gary,
    Thanks for the insight and explainations.
    Are you going to go to Top Gun with another Corsair?

Well I have finished my control surfaces and posted my first YouTube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCbvly-I0F4

Let me know what you think.
    RC Models are never finished, you simply stop working on them.
    The strength is knowing when. Corsair Brotherhood #83

Page 62 of 111 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast