Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 64 of 111 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,600 of 2752

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: CARF F4U-1 Corsair build thread

This is the opening in the top of the wing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nk27766.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	1833534   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jh15367.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	112.2 KB 
ID:	1833535   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xu62749.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	1833536  
    Cheers,
    Gary P. / use Steel Powder for ballast not lead. PM me for more information.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ram3500-RCU

Michael, I didn't address this part of your previous post.

''I would like the processor to fire them, however, I do not want the sound at this time. As I do not wish to cut the bottom. Do you really think I should?''

My personal opinion is, the sound is as important as the lights for a good affect. On a strafing run, the sound of the guns is maybe even more evident than the gun flashes. The sound can be heard no matter what angle you are to the flight line, and it can be heard for some distance.

Now here is the rub. Yes, the bottom hatch is essential to the installation but just as important is opening up the intakes. A more scale intake, with open louvers, is what makes it possible to get that wonderful sound out.

If you don't intend to open up the intakes, it makes little sense to add the sound. So you see, the intakes are a bigger issue than the hatch IMO, when it comes to the gun sound.

As for the hatch itself, this is a movable part on the full scale Corsair anyway, and works much like the cowl flaps do. It opens to the rear, but we swing it down from the side for an easier hinge set up. Cutting it open has absolutely no affect on the structural integrity of the wing, in fact, it may even add to it as you gain access to inner places to add epoxy around spar. Not absolutely necessary, but can't hurt. That big carbon fiber spar is what holds this bird together, not the wing skin.

Gary,

If you are willing to create a package that includes the speakers then please include me and I'll install them :-)
    I already have the scale oil coolers with aluminum curved intake in the leading edge of the wings. I didn't cut my wings to install them. Will I also have to open the bottom of the wings to install the speakers?

With photo I will try it if you sale a kit to me. I see the power for the guns is a 9Volt battery. That works for me!
    What kind of power and equipment are needed for the speakers.

Santa is also so so close. I hope you get all on you Christmas list!
    RC Models are never finished, you simply stop working on them.
    The strength is knowing when. Corsair Brotherhood #83

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: MRadu

''I would like the processor to fire them, however, I do not want the sound at this time. As I do not wish to cut the bottom. Do you really think I should?''

My personal opinion is, the sound is as important as the lights for a good affect. On a strafing run, the sound of the guns is maybe even more evident than the gun flashes. The sound can be heard no matter what angle you are to the flight line, and it can be heard for some distance.

Now here is the rub. Yes, the bottom hatch is essential to the installation but just as important is opening up the intakes. A more scale intake, with open louvers, is what makes it possible to get that wonderful sound out.

If you don't intend to open up the intakes, it makes little sense to add the sound. So you see, the intakes are a bigger issue than the hatch IMO, when it comes to the gun sound.

As for the hatch itself, this is a movable part on the full scale Corsair anyway, and works much like the cowl flaps do. It opens to the rear, but we swing it down from the side for an easier hinge set up. Cutting it open has absolutely no affect on the structural integrity of the wing, in fact, it may even add to it as you gain access to inner places to add epoxy around spar. Not absolutely necessary, but can't hurt. That big carbon fiber spar is what holds this bird together, not the wing skin.

Gary,

If you are willing to create a package that includes the speakers then please include me and I'll install them :-)
    I already have the scale oil coolers with aluminum curved intake in the leading edge of the wings. I didn't cut my wings to install them. Will I also have to open the bottom of the wings to install the speakers?

With photo I will try it if you sale a kit to me. I see the power for the guns is a 9Volt battery. That works for me!

You will not be disappointed. It is well worth the cost and effort IMO.

Yes, you will need the bottom hatch. The speakers are really mini bull horns. To get them in behind bthe intakes where they do the best, you will go through the hatch as I posted a couple back.

Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok please add to the list of items I'm wishing for.
    Let me if you and Brian are willing to make me a complete set. I'll also need the blue lights on top of wing and fuselage. Shall I order from ElectroDynamics the top blue lights?

I love it all. I'll just take it one day and step at a time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok please add to the list of items I'm wishing for.
    Let me if you and Brian are willing to make me a complete set. I'll also need the blue lights on top of wing and fuselage. Shall I order from ElectroDynamics the top blue lights?

I love it all. I'll just take it one day and step at a time.
    Will do Michael.

Up to you on the top light. You can add that one to the system you have, or we can incorporate it in ours. Should work fine either way.
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok thanks!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gary,

You will not be disappointed. It is well worth the cost and effort IMO.

Yes, you will need the bottom hatch. The speakers are really mini bull horns. To get them in behind bthe intakes where they do the best, you will go through the hatch as I posted a couple back.

Gary,
    if you are going to make a setup. Also add me to the list. for a complete setup. Thanks,
    Vern

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Will do vern.

What all would you like included, and would you like it to be plug-in, or would you want to do some soldering?
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My wife is at work at one hospital, and my daughter is at work at another. The dogs are asleep. I'm in the shop watching National Lampoons Christmas Vacation. Very peaceful.
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Merry Christmas Gary !
    IFLYRC - IMAA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Will do vern.

What all would you like included, and would you like it to be plug-in, or would you want to do some soldering?
    I would like it plug in if possible. I was unable to make contact with the Doc on getting a sound system. So if you guys are able set me up!
    Thanks, vern

Ps I think you have my email address if not let me know.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: vfrank59

Will do vern.

I would like it plug in if possible. I was unable to make contact with the Doc on getting a sound system. So if you guys are able set me up!
    Thanks, vern

OK vern. Complete gun system, and all the nav and formation lighting?
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Will do vern.

Thanks, vern

Yep guns system, nav and formation lighting. Sound system.

Thanks
    Vern

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: IFLYRC-RCU

Merry Christmas Gary !
    Thanks buddy. I wish all my cyber friends the very best as well.
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Will do vern.

Thanks, vern

Yep guns system, nav and formation lighting. Sound system.

Thanks
    Vern
    OK. I'll send you a PM.
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have been asked about the cowl flaps. I will post some additional pictures and explanation on this in this thread. When I was doing this on the Top Gun plane, I was having problems logging on RCU, so most of that explanation was posted on RCSB. I'll get it posted later this evening.

Pictures of the cowl flaps in this thread can be found on page 46, post #1135.

The way I did it kept the flaps permanently attached to the fuselage, as the full scale is, and worked very well. It made the cowl very easy to remove as well. This is very handy for Corsairs equipped with the Moki, as access to the valves for adjustment is very important, during the break in period. The valves should be adjusted after each run until, when checked, they need no adjustment.

The retaining screws for the cowl are inside the cowl flaps and accessed from the back of the cowl, instead of through the front. The baffles make it difficult to go through the front, and I highly recommend the use of baffles. Overheating is an issue without them.
    Hi Gary
    I just receive my Corsair ARF kit. The new leading edge hinges are already installed.
    I'm interrested in some detailled pics concerning the cowl flaps.
    Best regards
    Stan
    PS: some pics about the painting scheme of my Ziroli Corsair

Name:	Ay75906.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	1833638   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kf12015.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	1833639   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kp33519.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	1833640   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dx66453.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	1833641   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Uf52071.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	1833642  

http://smallplane.free.fr

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Love That Papy is giving the "got one" sign lol

Sounds like him from what I've read lol

Casey
    Fliteskin, Sierra, Nelson Hobby, MICKO aircraft, Getstencils, Holman Plans, VicRC, Castle Creations, Addicted to Luft, BestPilots.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: STAN-CAUSSEL

I have been asked about the cowl flaps. I will post some additional pictures and explanation on this in this thread. When I was doing this on the Top Gun plane, I was having problems logging on RCU, so most of that explanation was posted on RCSB. I'll get it posted later this evening.

Pictures of the cowl flaps in this thread can be found on page 46, post #1135.

The way I did it kept the flaps permanently attached to the fuselage, as the full scale is, and worked very well. It made the cowl very easy to remove as well. This is very handy for Corsairs equipped with the Moki, as access to the valves for adjustment is very important, during the break in period. The valves should be adjusted after each run until, when checked, they need no adjustment.

The retaining screws for the cowl are inside the cowl flaps and accessed from the back of the cowl, instead of through the front. The baffles make it difficult to go through the front, and I highly recommend the use of baffles. Overheating is an issue without them.
    Hi Gary
    I just receive my Corsair ARF kit. The new leading edge hinges are already installed.
    I'm interrested in some detailled pics concerning the cowl flaps.
    Best regards
    Stan
    PS: some pics about the painting scheme of my Ziroli Corsair
    Hello Stan.

I will be happy to document how I did the cowl flaps.

First, I'd like to say how much I appreciate you posting pictures of your Ziroli. What a great job of detail you did. I figure once a plane is built, I'm not quite half way with the build. It is all about the details, isn't it. I too like the Pappy #1 sign. Nice touch. I also like all the detail around the movable panels. Very nice.

Let's talk tape. The white on the nose of early Corsairs was surgical tape (every base had plenty), and it was used to seal the panel seams because they leaked fluids onto the wind screen. This was later solved with better seals and plumbing. The tape was made by the Hercules Chemical company, and was 2" wide. In the scale of the CARF Corsair, this would be 1/4" or close to 7MM. It was constantly taken off when panels were opened, and then replaced. It would also need replaced when it would no longer stick. Not always perfectly straight. Not always on exactly the same place. It was also used on the gun ports to protect the barrels from corral dust or sea salt, after they had been cleaned and loaded. The guns simply fired through it and thus the frayed tape residue you very often see around the gun ports.

I love digging out the details of stuff like this and knowing why these planes from WWII looked the way they did. I'm sure you do too, from your attention to detail.
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Gary
    The Corsair was my first weathered aircraft, so details are not really scale appearance
    I built also 2 A10 as you can see in pics ( but this is off subject here, and if you want I can remove the pics )
    Pics just to show some weathering details
    Stan

Name:	Om33188.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	117.4 KB 
ID:	1833656   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wr56326.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	185.2 KB 
ID:	1833657   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mr41207.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	1833658  
    http://smallplane.free.fr

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey, how about those cowl flaps now. As I mentioned, I was having problems logging onto RCU when I was doing this on the last one. Here is what I did.

I thought keeping them part of the fuselage as the full scale would be cool, and make the cowl removal easier.

The flaps are individually hinged, then a cable is run around them through guides glued to each flap. Two servos, working opposite of each other, pushes or pulls on the cable expanding and contracting it, pushing the flaps in and out. Attaching this mechanism to the front of the Corsair is especially easy because of the perfect place to put the servos, where the two top cowl flaps were deleted.

Name:	Ca82806.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	1833659   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ig11332.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	1833660  
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: STAN-CAUSSEL

Hi Gary
    The Corsair was my first weathered aircraft, so details are not really scale appearance
    I built also 2 A10 as you can see in pics ( but this is off subject here, and if you want I can remove the pics )
    Pics just to show some weathering details
    Stan
    All the more impressive Stan. You do great work.
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

First thing I do is establish where the cowl needs to mount. On the Corsair, this is already done for you because of how the cowl fits on the top. I established the length of the standoffs, and cut them from a piece of Oak dowel.

Name:	Tr50519.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	1833661  
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I made two rings, one for the cowl flaps, the other for the cowl. I tapered the back of the ring for the cowl, and the front of the ring for the flaps. This gave the front edge of the flaps a place to go when open.

Name:	Li21144.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	1833664  
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Now, and this is important, I cut the flaps off the cowl, leaving them together. This way, when you glue them to the hinges, they all line up automatically. I didn't cut them apart till they were glued to the hinges.

Name:	Xv63080.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	1833665  
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Next, I got the plates mounted. First, the one mounted to the fuselage that will hold the flaps. I used sticks taped to the fuselage to center it. Then I mounted the front ring. The cowl flap ring is bolted through the firewall. The cowl ring is fastened from behind with three bolts and blind nuts on the front of the ring. This way you will reach your Allen wrench in the open cowl flaps to take the bolts off and remove the cowl. Very easy and very fast.

Name:	Fc90279.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	1833666   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vs55540.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	1833667   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ca81710.jpg 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	1833668   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Om33387.jpg 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	1833669  
    Cheers,

Page 64 of 111 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast