Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

CARF F4U-1 Corsair build thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

CARF F4U-1 Corsair build thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 07:22 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: CARF F4U-1 Corsair build thread

ORIGINAL: vfrank59

ORIGINAL: ram3500-RCU

So true Vern. Noticed that the doors were not totally shut on the tail when we went to put her in the trailer Saturday, so we investigated it right there and found that the stop screw had backed out and actually fell out as we lowered the tail gear. Something else we had not installed, and had no lock tight on it.

Fixed.

Yep, We gotta check every screw and nut. I was running the main gear up and down and the right main wheel and axle fell off. I pulled both set screws. drilled a hole in the axle and then inserted the set screws with purple loctite. That would have been embarrassing on landing. I will check all the other screw on the mains and other things that was assembled by others.
Embarrassing, and costly.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:30 AM
Mustangman40
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: glazier808

You're becoming quite the embassitor of giant scale sir!

Watching with envy

Casey
Casey,
you can say that again!!!!!!

Gary,
I would just like to take the time to share my opinion as well..
You sir are a wealth of knowledge and your kind enough to share it.. We have a lot of guys with egos bigger then their head in this hobby, but you do not fall into that group.. You posting that vid of you first landing mishap is proof as to what type of person you are, most guys would have kept that one to them self.. You showed it and talked about it, which will help many others not make that same mistake, good stuff in my book... I have learned a lot from you and even though we never met, I consider you a friend.. I'm am very much looking forward to sharing a flight line with you next year my friend, your first class all the way.......

Jimbo
Old 09-02-2011, 03:05 PM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: Mustangman40

ORIGINAL: glazier808

You're becoming quite the embassitor of giant scale sir!

Watching with envy

Casey
Casey,
you can say that again!!!!!!

Gary,
I would just like to take the time to share my opinion as well..
You sir are a wealth of knowledge and your kind enough to share it.. We have a lot of guys with egos bigger then their head in this hobby, but you do not fall into that group.. You posting that vid of you first landing mishap is proof as to what type of person you are, most guys would have kept that one to them self.. You showed it and talked about it, which will help many others not make that same mistake, good stuff in my book... I have learned a lot from you and even though we never met, I consider you a friend.. I'm am very much looking forward to sharing a flight line with you next year my friend, your first class all the way.......

Jimbo
Praise from my peers is the most appreciated by me. I don't take it for granted or lightly. Thank you so much for the kind words. I'm very glad to help my fellow friends any way I can.

As for this giant Corsair and planes like it, the investment in time and money is considerable, as all of you well know. It hurts me to see one of these giants go in. I have learned a lot from my fellow modelers that has helped me model these giants safely. I enjoy returning the favor when ever I can. It is very gratifying to hear that we are doing some good. Thanks guys for saying so.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:09 PM
ram3500-RCU

We have decided to stay home this week end after all. We wish all the flyers happy landings at Muncie. See you next year.

We will be tearing down the Corsair for paint, and getting some work done on the other airframe. The wing needs a lot done to it before it is ready to install the electric gear.

We will be posting pictures of the kit build as it goes along. It will be different from the ARF we have in many ways. Electric gear (still air on the doors), electric wings, Sliding canopy, more scale cockpit, full lighting system, aluminum foil covering on the whole plane, working cowl flaps, and much more. Fun stuff.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:27 AM
Mustangman40
My Feedback: (1)

We have decided to stay home this week end after all. We wish all the flyers happy landings at Muncie. See you next year.

We will be tearing down the Corsair for paint, and getting some work done on the other airframe. The wing needs a lot done to it before it is ready to install the electric gear.

We will be posting pictures of the kit build as it goes along. It will be different from the ARF we have in many ways. Electric gear (still air on the doors), electric wings, Sliding canopy, more scale cockpit, full lighting system, aluminum foil covering on the whole plane, working cowl flaps, and much more. Fun stuff.
Looking forward to following along, post away............
Old 09-03-2011, 03:47 PM
luckyb001
My Feedback: (8)

Vern our corsair took less than 5 lbs to balance, I would recheck yourself before test flight that sounds like alot of weight to me. We have the 215 Moki on ours and I believe it may be a bit lighter than your 250. Good luck Mike
Old 09-03-2011, 07:04 PM
vfrank59

ORIGINAL: luckyb001

Vern our corsair took less than 5 lbs to balance, I would recheck yourself before test flight that sounds like alot of weight to me. We have the 215 Moki on ours and I believe it may be a bit lighter than your 250. Good luck Mike

I set my cg marks 6 1/2 inches from the leading edge closest to the fuselage. I placed my CG machine right next to the fuselage and my eyeballs say the plane is level. Does this sound like I have the CG marks correct? The wing fold aluminum mechanism is just behind my CG marks by 1/2 inch.

I have not added the lead yet.

Vern
Old 09-03-2011, 07:07 PM
ram3500-RCU

I set my cg marks 6 1/2 inches from the leading edge closest to the fuselage. I placed my CG machine right next to the fuselage and my eyeballs say the plane is level. Does this sound like I have the CG marks correct? The wing fold aluminum mechanism is just behind my CG marks by 1/2 inch.

Vern
Your gear should be up when balancing. Is it? Also, if you used two servos on the elevators, you will need more nose weight than we did. 1oz in the tail = about 4oz in the nose. Wew don't have a tail hook installed either.

The 6 1/2 to 6 5/8 in is what we used as well.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:15 PM
vfrank59

Vern
Your gear should be up when balancing. Is it?

Yes, I have the gear up when balance was checked. I do not think it makes a difference but I also had it upright when I balanced the plane.

What I have is for large air tanks in the fuse behind the cockpit. I have a full detailed cockpit and a pilot. the pilot weighs about 4 oz. The 4 air tanks weigh 6 oz total. So at 10 oz , I would not think it would take an extra 5 lbs of lead.

Vern
Old 09-03-2011, 07:16 PM
luckyb001

Our plane was balanced according to the compartment manuel and it flys perfect not sure y you need so much weight.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:24 PM
vfrank59

I am seriously thinking of getting 3 postal scales and doing it the calculated math way of determining where the CG currently is without any lead in it. I have read the math should work out the same for RC as it does for my 47 Stinson.

Vern
Old 09-03-2011, 07:24 PM
luckyb001

I have two elevator servos and a tail hook. How r u balancing the plane. I have a system where the plane is suspended in the air by a harness and leveled as a pointer comes to the cg point on the plane when the balance is correct. This system has not failed us and we have balances many large planes this way. Not trying to be a no it all but done want your plane to get damaged. Has anyone had to add this amount of weight. Mike
Old 09-03-2011, 07:26 PM
vfrank59

While running the Moki 250 for the first time. I notice the idle screw with the spring under it was still in place on the engine. Did you guys remove the idle screw completely like We do on most RC gas engines?

Thanks,
Vern
Old 09-03-2011, 07:30 PM
luckyb001

I removed mine
Old 09-03-2011, 07:31 PM
vfrank59

I have two elevator servos and a tail hook. How r u balancing the plane. I have a system where the plane is suspended in the air by a harness and leveled as a pointer comes to the cg point on the plane when the balance is correct. This system has not failed us and we have balances many large planes this way. Not trying to be a no it all but done want your plane to get damaged. Has anyone had to add this amount of weight. Mike

I am using the EZ balancer [img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81174.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	1657098  
Old 09-03-2011, 07:36 PM
luckyb001

I borrowed that same balancer from a friend to balance a 3W P-51 and found it to be very inaccurate. I would use a different method and see what result you get.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:38 PM
vfrank59

I borrowed that same balancer from a friend to balance a 3W P-51 and found it to be very inaccurate. I would use a different method and see what result you get.

Ok, I am all ears for ensuring a well balnced plane. Are you using the Venessa CG machine type of device?

Vern
Old 09-03-2011, 07:41 PM
luckyb001

Tomorrow when I get home I will get you the info on my balance system. I'm at the fire house till _8 am.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:50 PM
vfrank59

Tomorrow when I get home I will get you the info on my balance system. I'm at the fire house till _8 am.

Thanks a bunch, I have read about the Vanessa machine and am having trouble visualizing the setup. So your info will help me a lot.

Thank you,
Vern
Old 09-03-2011, 07:59 PM
vfrank59

Thanks a bunch, I have read about the Vanessa machine and am having trouble visualizing the setup. So your info will help me a lot.

Thank you,
Vern
Is this kind of what you are talking about ,, The Sling method?

Vern
[link]http://www.henrylx.rchomepage.com/Stuff/Sling.pdf[/link]
Old 09-03-2011, 08:09 PM
luckyb001

Yes that's basically it my sling and harness are a bit different. I will get you a copy of the instructions and some photos when I get home.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:18 PM
vfrank59

Yes that's basically it my sling and harness are a bit different. I will get you a copy of the instructions and some photos when I get home.

I found this type also.

[img][/img]

Name:	Us52671.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	1657100  
Old 09-03-2011, 08:51 PM
ram3500-RCU

While running the Moki 250 for the first time. I notice the idle screw with the spring under it was still in place on the engine. Did you guys remove the idle screw completely like We do on most RC gas engines?

Thanks,
Vern
I remover ours as well.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:55 PM
ram3500-RCU

Some pictures of our home made balance system. The plane flies well, and so do other giants we have used it on.

Thanks for all the other posts on this. I'm always interested in how other guys do this as well.

BTW, the white stuff is 1/2" felt Brian gets from work.

Name:	Pm34839.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	1657109   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88851.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	209.2 KB
ID:	1657110   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44952.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	1657111   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33073.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	220.5 KB
ID:	1657112  
Old 09-03-2011, 09:05 PM
ram3500-RCU

Vern
Your gear should be up when balancing. Is it?

Yes, I have the gear up when balance was checked. I do not think it makes a difference but I also had it upright when I balanced the plane.

What I have is for large air tanks in the fuse behind the cockpit. I have a full detailed cockpit and a pilot. the pilot weighs about 4 oz. The 4 air tanks weigh 6 oz total. So at 10 oz , I would not think it would take an extra 5 lbs of lead.

Vern
I think the tanks might make a bigger difference than you think. We have two large tanks in FRONT of the cockpit. No pilot in ours yet. It all adds up, but I think it may be a combination of how you are checking the CG, and the location of your components. I bet you are able to reduce the ballast by a couple pounds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.