Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 73 of 110 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,825 of 2736

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: CARF F4U-1 Corsair build thread

1. those are inside wing covers for the folding wings so you won't need them.
    2. can't answer since I'm unfamiliar with the fixed wing version.
    3. The stabs and elevators stay as one piece: it's been awhile since I built mine but I don't think you'll be able to easily separate them from the fuse. Probably the only way to make the stabs removable from the fuse would be to put the servos in the stab.
    4. So far, that seems to be enough linkage for the rudder!
    G. Samuel Parfitt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I also fixed wing ARF version
    I found these pictures on the internet that show or are these famous pieces

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Rob Howarth

Guys,

I'd be very grateful of some assistance please.

I took delivery of my Corsair plug in wing ARF yesterday and have been working through the parts supplied. I have a few questions that others may be able to assist with;

1 - What are the parts in the attached picture?

2 - I cannot see how the attachedment of the outer wing panels to the main centre wing panel section is supposed to be. Any ideas?

3 - I would like to run two 8711 elevator servos and need the stabs to be detatchable (they seem to have done this in the factory for the stabs) yet, how are the elevators detachable? Even if I cut the supplied carbon control rod for two servo operation I see no way that these can be attached to the elevators apart from bonding them in. Therefore, how are you supposed to remove the whole stab and elevator section? Tap holes in teh elevator l/e and through the carbon rod?

4 - The fin seems to have only one hinge at the top and then the base ball raced hinge. Is this adequate and normal?

Any useful help that can be offered here would be gratefully received.

Thanks,
    Rob
    Hello Rob. Sam and others have already gotten a good start on your questions.

One the liners, we discard them. They serve no practical function.

I can help you with the stabs I think. They can indeed be removable.

Before I address that, a comment about the elevator servos. I am a believer in redundancy in aviation, as most of us are, but in this case, I just do not see the need for the second elevator servo. I use the JR 8711 on the elevator. A servo with over 400 oz of torque, and some of the best gearing on the market. This servo is more than up to the task in the tail of the Corsair, a plane that is sensitive to elevator in the first place and only requires small travel in normal flight. The push rod is very short and the linkage is very tight. Now connect this servo to a carbon fiber torque rod that is common to both elevators, and you have very positive control with no possibility of differential in the two elevators. Add to that the fact that, for that one extra, heavy, servo in the tail, you will need almost a half pound of ballast in the nose, and it just does not make sense. Now if a guy was to want to use two lessor servos instead of one expensive good one, maybe, but why would you do that? My recommendations, use one 8711 (you already have great servos for this) or equivalent on the elevator, and leave the carbon fiber torque rod in one piece.

OK, back to the elevators. They slide onto the aluminum spar and carbon fiber torque rod that drives them. Both get drilled and taped for cap screws that (1) in the case of the spar, hold them in place (I install wood in the aluminum tube and drill and tap the whole thing instead of the blind nut plan CARF shows you), and (2) in the case of the CF rod, align and drive them. This means that on the underside of the tail you will have (2) cap screws on each side. One for the elevator drive, and one for the main spar to hold the stabs in place. This makes them removable, by simply removing these for bolts.

A builder can choose to glue them on permanently, but remember, CARF replacement part's fit perfectly. Any of these parts could be replaced in the event of an accident.

The rudder. The rudder design is wonderful. It has only two bolts on the top of the stab keeping it in place, but these work great. The bottom slides over another of those wonderful carbon fiber rods that drives the thing with a tiller affair. It has a brass tube that holds the top hinges in place. Very simple, very strong. Do not worry about this arrangement. It will be the last of your concerns on flying days.

As for the wings, they are held in place the same way the stabs are, cap screws / bolts threw the aluminum spar tube, or you can add a bolt and blind nut arrangement accessed through the gear bays. This is how our latest build is set up. It is also the plug in wing version.

Hope this helps. Feel free to follow up if I missed anything.

I will post pictures of the wing bolts, tail install, and rudder arrangement for added help.
    Cheers,
    Gary P. / use Steel Powder for ballast not lead. PM me for more information.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gary;  Are you using air or electric to operate the doors on the landing gear?  I see where you attached the linkage for the tailwheel.  Thought you might be using a servo for the doors.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Joe Allen

Gary;Β* Are you using air or electric to operate the doors on the landing gear?Β* I see where you attached the linkage for the tailwheel.Β* Thought you might be using a servo for the doors.

We are using air for the main gear doors right now. I'm waiting for Down and locked to unveil their electric door actuators. We have had problems trying to use servos. If they stall or jam, there is no protection for the rest of the electrical system. Air is still safer. It isn't bad because the entire air system is housed in the wing, so no disconnects, with the purge of the system that results, is necessary.

Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Gary

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I should clarify a little, for those unfamiliar with the Down and Locked system.

It is also electric, but their controller senses load (ideally when the gear is fully up or down and locked), so should the gear be stalled or jammed, it is immediately stopped with no damage to the system or gear. A simple flip of the gear switch recycles it. A servo connected the the system has no such protection. Mitch's door actuators will be controlled by the gear controller, and thus by protected in the same way. This system is isolated from the aircraft control system, unlike servos on the gear doors are.
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Any idea when this upgrade will be available?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Joe Allen

Any idea when this upgrade will be available?
    Soon, I have been told.

We have installed air main gear doors on this current build. I hope this is the last one to get them. Also, I believe it will be a simple thing to switch to electric when they are available, as we will be able to exchange the air cylinder with the electric one. So I feel good about the air for now.

We will be seeing many new items from Down and Locked this year.
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The little guy in recovery.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nl28685.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	1849819  
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Quite an ordeal.

In his hand, Buzz from Toy Story, his favorite toy. Why, because he FLIES!!!

Name:	Sq47678.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	1849820  
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

He was released from the hospital today.

Watching a little Toy Story and feeling better.

He is looking forward to the plane ride home.

Name:	Lj22774.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	1849828  
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I hope he has a speedy recovery.

Scott

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Sc
    ORIGINAL: saramos

I hope he has a speedy recovery.

Scott
    Thanks Scott. In 4-5 weeks, it is back out there for to have the other leg done.[]
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My heart goes out to the little man...looks pretty brave.

Casey
    Fliteskin, Sierra, Nelson Hobby, MICKO aircraft, Getstencils, Holman Plans, VicRC, Castle Creations, Addicted to Luft, BestPilots.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: glazier808

My heart goes out to the little man...looks pretty brave.

Casey
    Good description. Two years old, he asked the doctor when he woke up, "are you done"? Incredibly brave for sure. He is a real trooper!!!
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So sorry for what he must go through. Prayers for a fast recovery and that this helps him enjoy the world around him.

Whit 

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: wphilb

So sorry for what he must go through. Prayers for a fast recovery and that this helps him enjoy the world around him.

WhitΒ*
    Thanks Whit.

I see we will both be watching that CARF Spit thread. Looks like a very nice airplane as well. I agree on the exposed controls. I was a little surprised by that as well.

Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sorry guys. I am a little behind on my postings. Construction continues, but I have been very busy with work. I'll get some stuff posted soon.
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S6SWqSCEis

Dont now if the link will work,its a video of my wing fold safety system,grtz Bruno.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice work on the mechanism
    BobH.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: henderyckx bruno

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S6SWqSCEis

Dont now if the link will work,its a video of my wing fold safety system,grtz Bruno.
    I agree. Nice engineering on the safety lock.

If the stock hydraulic system is used, IMO, a secondary safety lock by the builder is essential. Pressure is all that keeps it locked, so a pressure loss for any reason WILL result in loss of the aircraft.
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

BTW, I have been doing the electric conversion for so long, I forgot how annoying the sound is from that hydraulic system.
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I agree about the noise of the hydraulic pump,but i hope the moki makes more noise...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: henderyckx bruno

I agree about the noise of the hydraulic pump,but i hope the moki makes more noise...
    You can hear the pump over the Moki.[] Plus, most guys run the wings before and after the Moki to keep idle time down. The Moki gets very hot, very quickly.

The new Evolution 260 radial runs so cool you can hold the exhaust collector ring as it idles, but unfortunately it does not fit in the CARF Corsair cowl.
    Cheers,

Page 73 of 110 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast