Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

CARF F4U-1 Corsair build thread

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

CARF F4U-1 Corsair build thread

Old 09-04-2011, 05:51 AM
luckyb001
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CARF F4U-1 Corsair build thread

ok google "the house of balsa dust vanessa cg machine" that is the one I use. Its been dead on so far. Balanced an Mibo A-10, 1/3 Stearman, 40% Waco, 112" P-51, and several others. Im gonna put up a pick of the harness also. Good luck, let us know what you end up with for weight . Mike
Old 09-04-2011, 06:45 AM
vfrank59

ORIGINAL: luckyb001

ok google ''the house of balsa dust vanessa cg machine'' that is the one I use. Its been dead on so far. Balanced an Mibo A-10, 1/3 Stearman, 40% Waco, 112'' P-51, and several others. Im gonna put up a pick of the harness also. Good luck, let us know what you end up with for weight . Mike

Ok, I will check it out. I will check the CG Monday with the sling thing. I will update you guys on how it turns out.

Thanks,
Vern
Old 09-04-2011, 11:42 AM
vfrank59

ok google ''the house of balsa dust vanessa cg machine'' that is the one I use. Its been dead on so far. Balanced an Mibo A-10, 1/3 Stearman, 40% Waco, 112'' P-51, and several others. Im gonna put up a pick of the harness also. Good luck, let us know what you end up with for weight . Mike
One other item to note.

The manual states to "Center of Gravity: 10-12 mm (1/2â€) in front of main spar, when looked from the top"

I marked my CG by turning the Fuse upside down and looking at the wing spar from inside the center of the wing. I then marked it 1/2 in in front of this point.

Maybe I should have measured it at the wing folding hinge line and and called that point the spar and place my CG mark 1/2 in in front of that point.

Instead of near the fuse. Where I conducted my balance check.

What do you guys think.. This would probably move my CG measurment point 1/2 in further back at least.

Vern
Old 09-04-2011, 01:00 PM
onewing
My Feedback: (27)

ORIGINAL: vfrank59

One other item to note.

The manual states to ''Center of Gravity: 10-12 mm (1/2â€) in front of main spar, when looked from the top''

I marked my CG by turning the Fuse upside down and looking at the wing spar from inside the center of the wing. I then marked it 1/2 in in front of this point.

Maybe I should have measured it at the wing folding hinge line and and called that point the spar and place my CG mark 1/2 in in front of that point.

What do you guys think.. This would probably move my CG measurment point 1/2 in further back at least.

Vern
On the top side of the wing center section, there is a panel line exactly above the front edge of the spar. This panel line stays above the front edge of the spar all the way to the wing root. I marked my CG 1/2 inches in front of this panel line.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:40 PM
vfrank59

ORIGINAL: onewing

One other item to note.

The manual states to ''Center of Gravity: 10-12 mm (1/2â€) in front of main spar, when looked from the top''

Vern
On the top side of the wing center section, there is a panel line exactly above the front edge of the spar. This panel line stays above the front edge of the spar all the way to the wing root. I marked my CG 1/2 inches in front of this panel line.

Ok, I will double check my CG marks tonight.
thanks,
vern
Old 09-04-2011, 04:29 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

One other item to note.

Vern
I agree with this post. We did the same thing. They say 'when viewed from the top' because the spar is tilled forward slightly. Also, we located our desired CG point by using these marks at the outside of the center section with the wing up, so you can see the spar and panel line. Hope this helps.

PS. To be fair, this whole part of the set-up could have been a little better explained in the manual, IMO. A very good manual, but not without it's shortcomings. I don't see why they can't give a guy some 'ball park' ballast weight numbers with the most likely power plants either. Would help a guy determine if he was on the right track with component locations and such.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:49 PM
vfrank59

One other item to note.

Vern

Good news !!! I arrived home tonight and checked my CG marks compared to the Panel line directly above the front edge of the spar..

My, CG Marks, are 7/8 in from the panel line, So that means I am 3/8 in to far forward. That should help somewhat. I will gather stuff up at the hardware store and make a sling type CG machine and compare the results.

Thanks so much to all you guys for helping find this issue. At least I am moving in a more positive direction and one less thing to deal with.

Vern
Old 09-04-2011, 05:58 PM
ram3500-RCU

Really good news Vern. Getting her way nose heavy would surely not help the bounce tendency.[8D]
Old 09-05-2011, 04:04 AM
docgboy

Hi guys,
As I said before just adding from my experiences from the last two years of flying this bird. The cg given is proper. Fly the model balanced, not nose heavy!!
This plane flys very much like the real one. On landing the speed needs to be bled off and touched down with the fuse parellel to the ground. If it is nose high it will bounce. Also, most of us have a tendency to add elevator as it touches down. This again increases wind incidence and a bounce results. With proper speed and attitude you need to release elevator ,even adding a little down for an instant will make for a no bounce landing.

I still see you discussing pressure to hold the gear. It will not work! I have recently hear that darryl from Sierra is welding the supports together and altering the angle of the lock down. I do not know if this is free but I will be getting it done. I do not have gear failures but only because I adj the collar to lock on landing but as a result it does not full retract into the bay.

Just don't want to see the frustration that tearing up thevbottom of the wing can be, in addition to 100 dollar props and possible motor damage

Scott
Old 09-05-2011, 04:59 AM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: docgboy

Hi guys,
As I said before just adding from my experiences from the last two years of flying this bird. The cg given is proper. Fly the model balanced, not nose heavy!!
This plane flys very much like the real one. On landing the speed needs to be bled off and touched down with the fuse parellel to the ground. If it is nose high it will bounce. Also, most of us have a tendency to add elevator as it touches down. This again increases wind incidence and a bounce results. With proper speed and attitude you need to release elevator ,even adding a little down for an instant will make for a no bounce landing.

I still see you discussing pressure to hold the gear. It will not work! I have recently hear that darryl from Sierra is welding the supports together and altering the angle of the lock down. I do not know if this is free but I will be getting it done. I do not have gear failures but only because I adj the collar to lock on landing but as a result it does not full retract into the bay.

Just don't want to see the frustration that tearing up thevbottom of the wing can be, in addition to 100 dollar props and possible motor damage

Scott
Thanks for the post Scott. I followed your advise on my second landing (soon to be posted to U-Tube) and is definitely sound advise, as the landing was perfect.

If Darrel is doing what you say, he must have devised some better geometry on them. His shop is less than a hour from mine. I may need to take a trip.

Personally, I'm just not sure yet about this. Watching the video of that first landing over and over, my brother and I still feel that had the gear not folded and absorbed that energy the 3rd and very hard bounce, they, or possibly the mounts, could have been damaged. This is a heavy airplane, with that 250 Moki up front. As it was, they folded under the extreme pressure (much much more than normal, given the angle of the strike), and saved themselves and the main structure. There was very minor damage and nothing structural. I think, should she get into another situation where the gear hits at that angle, I would want it to fold again. Knowing what I now know about landing her, having a bad landing, an aborted landing, and a good landing under my belt now, it will be easier to prevent a gear strike like that first one.

I WILL be looking for any A.D.s on her though. And we will follow through on them. I have already made a call to Darrel to inquire about the updated front wing hinges, and I'll be asking him about the gear as well. I'll let you all know what I find out.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:43 AM
JPate147

I have the plug in version, and it is lighter than your folding wing version, but your advice holds true either way. Simply relax the up elevator and she will stick like glue. I always land on the mains, parallel to the ground. No 3 points for me [8D]. I have about 30 flights on mine and no boo - boos so far. I flew it once when the 25mph winds changed during flight and I had a 90 degree cross wind on landing. I had to make 5 approaches to get it right, but my patience paid off in a good landing. I had almost full right rudder and opposite aileron when she touched down, but it all worked out. You can see the video at www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXNlFFFLmPA (you'll have to cut and paste this link in your browser). This is a fantastic plane/engine combo.
Attached Files
File Type: txt
Tr49222.txt (425 Bytes, 35 views)
Old 09-05-2011, 08:26 AM
mobyal

You, sir, are an aviator!
Old 09-05-2011, 08:44 AM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: mobyal

You, sir, are an aviator!
I second that!!!!! What was your flap setting? You did a great job of holding the 'crab'. Thanks for sharing this with us.

BTW, I clicked on the link and it went straight to it. (I use FireFox)
Old 09-05-2011, 09:29 AM
JPate147

Thanks for the kind words. I had full flaps on all the approaches. I know you really don't need full flaps in such a strong crosswind, but I feel more comfortable with the same throttle settings on all landing approaches. I go to idle in the downwind leg and then go back up 5 clicks on the throttle stick until I am over the threshold. I am hard of hearing and if there are other planes in the air it is hard for me to hear my engine. I try to do the same things everytime and it works for me [8D] I love this airplane. I think it is the best value on the market.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:42 AM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: JPate147

Thanks for the kind words. I had full flaps on all the approaches. I know you really don't need full flaps in such a strong crosswind, but I feel more comfortable with the same throttle settings on all landing approaches. I go to idle in the downwind leg and then go back up 5 clicks on the throttle stick until I am over the threshold. I am hard of hearing and if there are other planes in the air it is hard for me to hear my engine. I try to do the same things everytime and it works for me [8D] I love this airplane. I think it is the best value on the market.
Thanks for the explanation. I like your procedures. You are absolutely right about keeping things as much the same as possible. My brother and I were just talking about that a couple days ago. Just a 20 or 30' difference in down wind altitude changes the whole approach. Consistency IS what we strive for.

I am amazed as well, at how quiet the the Moki is. Being a 4-stroke, I guess I should expect that, but you are right, with another gasser in the pattern, the Moki will be hard to hear at any distance.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:20 PM
vfrank59

ORIGINAL: ram3500-RCU

Really good news Vern. Getting her way nose heavy would surely not help the bounce tendency.[8D]

Well, I built a Sling CG machine and it worked great. Finding the correct CG location, I only needed 5 1/2 lbs of lead to balance it 1/2 in in front of the spar. So i lost 5 lbs, now i can have a few extra donuts!

I suppose, the 4 air bottles in the rear of fuse and the pilot caused the addition 1 lb of lead, as most of you guys only needed about 4 1/2 lbs.

Well all I need to do is place the lead in the Corsair and it's ready for the Maiden.

Thanks to all that helped me through the last little details!

Vern

[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66407.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	1658687  
Old 09-05-2011, 01:42 PM
ram3500-RCU

Wow Vern, that IS a happy ending to this phase of preparation. looking forward to that maiden.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:51 PM
luckyb001
My Feedback: (8)

Vern, thats awsome i think your gonna be right on. Glad you didnt put all that extra weight up front. Waiting to here about the first flight. Mike
Old 09-05-2011, 06:37 PM
vfrank59

Vern, thats awsome i think your gonna be right on. Glad you didnt put all that extra weight up front. Waiting to here about the first flight. Mike

Yes , i was a happy camper.

Here is a short video of today's action.

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy_GNN5RJkk]folding wing corsair[/link]

Old 09-05-2011, 08:11 PM
JPate147

Very nice Vern - it sounds like your Moki is dialed in perfectly. It may be the camera angle, but it looks like your left main gear needs some toe in. It looks like it is pointing outward. Nice job on your Corsair - I know how excited you must be.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:13 PM
ram3500-RCU

Spoke with Darrel today. Had a nice conversation. He is sending me two sets of updated front wing hinges (the new design is being included in all new kits with folding wings as of a couple months ago), that will eliminate the need for the little door on the front, and he is also doing the mod to the gear for me. I guess it is possible to 'tweak' them in a very hard landing,(and as Darrel said, at 60lbs, it doesn't even need to be that hard, to exert tremendous pressure on the point in question), to the point where it is difficult for them to stay locked. I'll post some pictures when I get it back. Should correct the problem some are having.

Also spoke with Mitch at Down & Locked. We should have the electric gear for Corsair #2 back in a few days. Again, pictures will follow.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:16 PM
ram3500-RCU

Yes , i was a happy camper.

Here is a short video of today's action.

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy_GNN5RJkk]folding wing corsair[/link]

Nice Vern.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:33 PM
onewing
My Feedback: (27)

Spoke with Darrel today. Had a nice conversation. He is sending me two sets of updated front wing hinges (the new design is being included in all new kits with folding wings as of a couple months ago), that will eliminate the need for the little door on the front, and he is also doing the mod to the gear for me. I guess it is possible to 'tweak' them in a very hard landing,(and as Darrel said, at 60lbs, it doesn't even need to be that hard, to exert tremendous pressure on the point in question), to the point where it is difficult for them to stay locked. I'll post some pictures when I get it back. Should correct the problem some are having.

Also spoke with Mitch at Down & Locked. We should have the electric gear for Corsair #2 back in a few days. Again, pictures will follow.
My landing gear is the very early version. So, after talking to Darrel, I sent my gear back, he made the modification the next day, and ship them right back to me. It was a very fast turn-around and a very nice job. Thanks Darrel.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:58 PM
ram3500-RCU

My landing gear is the very early version. So, after talking to Darrel, I sent my gear back, he made the modification the next day, and ship them right back to me. It was a very fast turn-around and a very nice job. Thanks Darrel.
Glad to here. Thanks for the post. Would you happen to have any pictures of the mod Darrel did?

We also have an early version that is in #1 that will be updated. #2 is the new one just manufactured this year, and being converted to electric.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:11 PM
JackL
My Feedback: (7)

What is the mod that Darrell is doing to the gear? I'm not sure which version of the gear I have, but they don't seem to lock very well..... I'm about to install the gear in my Corsair, but it sounds like I should send them in for the mod first.....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.