Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

CARF F4U-1 Corsair build thread

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

CARF F4U-1 Corsair build thread

Old 03-18-2017, 07:38 AM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by laverdure
Hello Tuggs

I am French and i would like to paint my Corsair like your " french shame ".
Can you tell me color reference you used ...stickers

Thanks

Tanguy

I agree. Tuggs has a very good looking Corsair there.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:07 PM
ram3500-RCU

Just as a way of review for any who may be using the OEM wing system here are a few things to remember.

Fluid can not be compressed but air can. The accumulator in the system creates the standing pressure needed by the pump. It needs to be able to keep about 6bar or about 87lbs of pressure to keep a steady force on the fluid. The pump will not move the wings without this air cushion to, in effect, increase the volume of the fluid. Early on we had problems with leaks in the air system, and pumps that started to bi-pass and become weak, blown fittings, or even a failed bladder (a real mess). All this would result in slow or failed operation.

Since going to electric, we have not had issues on our systems. As Down & Locked worked through some supplier issues with trannies, we would update our systems BEFORE any of them failed in service as a very few did. Since we have gotten through all that, we have had no more issues and I am confident that the electric systems we are installing in the wings these days are the very best drive units for these wings that we have available.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:02 AM
GeorgiaFlyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ram3500-RCU
Just as a way of review for any who may be using the OEM wing system here are a few things to remember.

Fluid can not be compressed but air can. The accumulator in the system creates the standing pressure needed by the pump. It needs to be able to keep about 6bar or about 87lbs of pressure to keep a steady force on the fluid. The pump will not move the wings without this air cushion to, in effect, increase the volume of the fluid. Early on we had problems with leaks in the air system, and pumps that started to bi-pass and become weak, blown fittings, or even a failed bladder (a real mess). All this would result in slow or failed operation.

Since going to electric, we have not had issues on our systems. As Down & Locked worked through some supplier issues with trannies, we would update our systems BEFORE any of them failed in service as a very few did. Since we have gotten through all that, we have had no more issues and I am confident that the electric systems we are installing in the wings these days are the very best drive units for these wings that we have available.

+1 on this. I replaced the hydraulic wing mechanisms with electric from Down & Locked and could not be any happier with the way they operate now.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:27 PM
ram3500-RCU

Originally Posted by GeorgiaFlyer
+1 on this. I replaced the hydraulic wing mechanisms with electric from Down & Locked and could not be any happier with the way they operate now.

Thank you for posting this. All too often all we here are negative things.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:02 AM
txcnguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for posting this. All too often all we here are negative things.
How about some good news on my canopy retract kit? and here is spelt "hear".
Old 03-25-2017, 03:35 AM
ram3500-RCU

Originally Posted by txcnguy
How about some good news on my canopy retract kit? and here is spelt "hear".

Had to make several of them. They are made and going out.

Thks.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:28 AM
Zorba1

Hi Gary you have a website yet?
Need some more parts.
Bill
Old 03-27-2017, 05:34 AM
ram3500-RCU

Originally Posted by Zorba1
Hi Gary you have a website yet?
Need some more parts.
Bill

No web site yet. Sorry. Send me a PM and let me know what you need. We are trying to keep up with the requests. The popularity of these planes has continued after all these years. A true testament to how well CARF did with the design and production of them.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:51 AM
Zorba1

Hi, I just thought to post it here first, I have a Comp corsair F4U-1D complete folding wing for sale. The wing only not the complete kit.
Nothing is done to it yet except I cut out the gear covers.
I decided not to built this version so instead I am going with the ARF version. Is much easier to assemble than the kit version.
If anyone is interested send me a PM and we can deal with it.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/ite...512&electric=0
Thanks
Bill
I had a few offers on this item and I want to verify that I am selling the wing only and not the complete kit.

Last edited by Zorba1; 03-30-2017 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:11 AM
GeorgiaFlyer

After a year of reworking all the electronics, plumbing, landing and wing gear on a used one I picked up a year ago, I finally got my in the air yesterday. Here some videos of the maiden flight. Things I noted, it really pulls hard left on take off. I did not use full throtle instead eased up on it to about half. Took a lot of rudder to keep it going. Really needed more as it still took off to the left. Is this normal or do you think I need more offset on the motor? Also comes in really hot, even with my full flap setting. I used 3 1/4 inches on the trailing edge of the inter flap from next to the fuselage. Does this sound like the right measurement for full flaps?

Take off
https://youtu.be/CbgrDBidVgA

Landing
https://youtu.be/GDS4PJZM8Io

Here is my build thread:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0-Carf-Corsair

Last edited by GeorgiaFlyer; 04-10-2017 at 12:43 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:08 AM
Growler84
My Feedback: (8)

The good news is, everything you experienced is completely normal. I watched your takeoff and landing, nice field!
-Your power application on take off was too fast and too much without enough rudder. That's standard for someone not used to the model. I took me about 10 flights to figure out the technique and even after that I occasionally screw it up by using too much power. Never use more than half power, be patient, use as much rudder as required meaning if full rudder is needed, use it. The takeoff will improve greatly once you bring the Mercury into the process. Do not add more offset, the stock offset is correct.
-"...comes in really hot..." Its a 60+lb Warbird and I know from telemetry its about 55-60 mph on final and about 50 mph at touchdown when flown properly. Its easy to come in fast on a maiden flight because our nerves are on edge causing us to fly faster approaches out of fear the model will stall. As you get more approaches and landings under your belt, the speeds will come down but do not expect to see the picture you get with a large IMAC plane or a big Moki-powered bipe. Spend 5 minutes or so every flight flying the plane around fully configured to familiarize yourself with the slow flight characteristics. Keep your bank angle down to 20-30 degrees maximum and use power whenever you roll into a turn, but take it back out a bit once wings level.
You did fine, bring in the gyro and get some slow flight time under your belt.
Also try as best you can to ignore the fact that you are basically flying around a model worth a good used car
Old 04-10-2017, 12:42 PM
GeorgiaFlyer

Originally Posted by Growler84
The good news is, everything you experienced is completely normal. I watched your takeoff and landing, nice field!
-Your power application on take off was too fast and too much without enough rudder. That's standard for someone not used to the model. I took me about 10 flights to figure out the technique and even after that I occasionally screw it up by using too much power. Never use more than half power, be patient, use as much rudder as required meaning if full rudder is needed, use it. The takeoff will improve greatly once you bring the Mercury into the process. Do not add more offset, the stock offset is correct.
-"...comes in really hot..." Its a 60+lb Warbird and I know from telemetry its about 55-60 mph on final and about 50 mph at touchdown when flown properly. Its easy to come in fast on a maiden flight because our nerves are on edge causing us to fly faster approaches out of fear the model will stall. As you get more approaches and landings under your belt, the speeds will come down but do not expect to see the picture you get with a large IMAC plane or a big Moki-powered bipe. Spend 5 minutes or so every flight flying the plane around fully configured to familiarize yourself with the slow flight characteristics. Keep your bank angle down to 20-30 degrees maximum and use power whenever you roll into a turn, but take it back out a bit once wings level.
You did fine, bring in the gyro and get some slow flight time under your belt.
Also try as best you can to ignore the fact that you are basically flying around a model worth a good used car

Thanks for the advise Greg, Good to hear what I experienced on this first flight is normal. I hope to get some more flights in this coming weekend weather permitting.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:09 PM
txcnguy

Had to make several of them. They are made and going out.

Thks.
When are these going out?
Old 05-27-2017, 10:58 PM
txcnguy

Gary I really need the canopy kit. Can you let us know please.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:51 AM
ram3500-RCU

Thanks to everyone for your patience. It has been more of a challenge than expected since we had to move my mother in law in with us. Her health issues and then all the things we had to get done leading up to my wife's open heart surgery have taken their toll on the rest of my life. The surgery was this last Tuesday. she was 6.5 hours in surgery but it was a total success. The aortic valve and artery are replaced and everything is working great. She came home Friday night late. Now the recovery. I can now get back to other things. I'll get caught up as soon as I can. Thank again.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:32 AM
txcnguy

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:53 PM
woody242

Hi Gary,

After a bunch of time off getting ready to assemble my folding wings. Looks like I'll need to do some sanding to get a consistent gap between the center section and outboard wings. Looks like they touch at the leading edge and aft. What is a good gap to use to avoid interference when folding. Also could you pm me with parts you have and pricing.

Thanks,
Woody
Old 06-01-2017, 07:40 PM
ram3500-RCU

Originally Posted by woody242
Hi Gary,

After a bunch of time off getting ready to assemble my folding wings. Looks like I'll need to do some sanding to get a consistent gap between the center section and outboard wings. Looks like they touch at the leading edge and aft. What is a good gap to use to avoid interference when folding. Also could you pm me with parts you have and pricing.

Thanks,
Woody
Hello Woody. Good question. 1/32 to 3/64 is fine. The top skin clears immediately. You want to allow enough space for paint.

Here are some videos we made on the wings.

Old 06-07-2017, 01:19 AM
Tuggs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by laverdure
Hello Tuggs

I am French and i would like to paint my Corsair like your " french shame ".
Can you tell me color reference you used ...stickers

Thanks

Tanguy
Salut Tanguy,

Sorry for the late response, I was avoiding this thread for the last months as, in a moment of total stupidity, i sold my Corsair to a good friend. As I was quite heartbroken, and still am, I am picking up my new Corsair on the weekend.

The colors I used were from Tailormade in Germany, also the Paint masks and stickers. If you want I can check for the color codes, but i would suggest to contact him directly as he is possibly the best source for paint here in Europe.

I guess i will post my build here

Cheers T

... oh I almost forgot:

Is there a full list of all possible parts that one can purchase for the corsair, such as the inner gear doors, exhaust stacks etc.

thanks

Last edited by Tuggs; 06-07-2017 at 01:20 AM. Reason: add sometthing
Old 06-20-2017, 01:39 PM
aroshier

Gary...nice ...but where are my parts...two years!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-20-2017, 06:17 PM
txcnguy

Gary. I am nearly done my build, now on hold pending these sliding canopy parts I paid for. I am moving to a new house and I really need to finish this project before I move and pack up my workshop.
Can you tell all of us for once and for all when you can ship our kits?
Dan
Old 06-22-2017, 08:04 PM
ram3500-RCU

I'm back in the shop. Doing the best I can. Determined to get caught up. Thank you for being patient.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:05 PM
txcnguy

OK Gary so I'm a the point now where the last thing is the canopy. So I guess I will just mount it with bolts as one piece and hopefully if I ever get my kit from you will just go back and redo it.
I would have preferred to do it before now but I'm moving and I have to start packing up my workshop.
I don't want to leave an unfinished porject and then take forever to find everything again in a new shop.
Sorry for you personal issues, we all have them.
I'm doing the Royal Navy variant btw.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0470.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	598.4 KB
ID:	2221511  
Old 06-25-2017, 05:11 AM
ram3500-RCU

Originally Posted by txcnguy
OK Gary so I'm a the point now where the last thing is the canopy. So I guess I will just mount it with bolts as one piece and hopefully if I ever get my kit from you will just go back and redo it.
I would have preferred to do it before now but I'm moving and I have to start packing up my workshop.
I don't want to leave an unfinished porject and then take forever to find everything again in a new shop.
Sorry for you personal issues, we all have them.
I'm doing the Royal Navy variant btw.
Working on a lot of things this week end. I usually send the manuals ahead so folks can do the prep work. Did I send you yours? You should have the parts by the end of the week.

tks
Gary
Old 06-25-2017, 05:14 AM
ram3500-RCU

BTW, good looking Corsair.
PM me your email for the manual if you don't have it.

tks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.