Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

CARF F4U-1 Corsair build thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

CARF F4U-1 Corsair build thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 05:24 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkbird
Lol, I have a love/hate relationship with facefail myself, but so many of my friends use it almost to the point of failing to communicate otherwise that I have little choice. But there is also a lot of good content there, you just have to be willing to sift through to find it.
I'm a little Leary of these "social media" sites as it seems they are being manipulated by their reators and employees. Text, email, and phone calls are still best IMO.

On another subject, my brother has taken the time to put together a collection of construction and completion pictures on a single storage device. Disk or memery stick. There a couple thousand pictures of our Corsair builds. Would anyone be interested in a copy for the cost of the disk or stick and the shipping? Just feeling out the desire for such a thing.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:57 AM
Darkbird
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just might be, odds are I'll never have the funds to do one of these myself, but I'd be interested just for the techniques that I've seen here. And if you bought in bulk SD cards and such can be had pretty cheaply.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:28 AM
IFLYBVM2
My Feedback: (360)

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Sliding Canopy ?

Hi Gary-
Will you explain what the latest version of your sliding canopy system consists of ?
I know it started out as a brass 'sled' if you will, and I have also seen a picture of what looks a different looking sled made of G-10 ? Not sure how that one connects to the brass canopy rails though ?
And lastly, I have seen pics of the Actuonix actuators in one of your versions.
Just wondering if you have settled on what method you think is best going forward. And can you please list the model number of which Actuonix actuator you used ? (There are several models, different speeds, lengths, etc.)
PS-almost forgot-would love to have a thumb drive of the pics-I think it would be an awesome reference tool going forward for us Carf Corsair guys.
Cheers-Mike O.

Last edited by IFLYBVM2; 03-10-2018 at 06:59 AM.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:19 AM
ram3500-RCU

Originally Posted by IFLYBVM2
Hi Gary-
Will you explain what the latest version of your sliding canopy system consists of ?
I know it started out as a brass 'sled' if you will, and I have also seen a picture of what looks a different looking sled made of G-10 ? Not sure how that one connects to the brass canopy rails though ?
And lastly, I have seen pics of the Actuonix actuators in one of your versions.
Just wondering if you have settled on what method you think is best going forward. And can you please list the model number of which Actuonix actuator you used ? (There are several models, different speeds, lengths, etc.)
PS-almost forgot-would love to have a thumb drive of the pics-I think it would be an awesome reference tool going forward for us Carf Corsair guys.
Cheers-Mike O.
Good question Mike. I originally wanted to use Down and Locked drivers because of the good results I have had with Mitch's products. I tried using them in on each side, much like you would air cylinders, but the problem is the common control box. If one would lag a couple turns behind (and one almost always does), when load was sensed, both would be stopped. Not good. I then came up with the "sled" system, using only one jack screw. This worked very well, but takes up a lot of real estate, is complex and time consuming to fabricate, and is fairly complex for the builder to get installed and adjusted. I wanted a simpler, less expensive, more compact electric option.

This led me to the Actuonix devises. They are each plug-and-play and have their own internal control. They mount in a location similar to the old air cylinder method taking up very little space, and require very little tinkering to get adjusted. They can be connected very easily to the slider system I already have designed with simple linkage. An anchor needs to be installed at the front, but again, not a complicated affair. With these units, when one gets a little behind, it keeps going even if the other has reached it's stopping point. It is almost impossible to get two electric motors to run in perfect sinc.

So, for those out there that would like to try these and come up with the hardware to connect them to the slider, the company is:

Acuonix Motion Devices Inc
580 Starling Lane
Victoria BC, V9E2A9
Canada

you need to type this in, clicking on it won't work

www.actuonix.com

The model you want is L16-140-35-6-R or the slightly more powerful but a little slower L16-140-63-6-R (two are required at about $70 each)

I hope this helps and please don't hesitate to post those pictures of your installs for others to benefit from.

pictures below

First picture. The "sled" is in the middle of the fuse and in the midst of all that wiring with all it's moving parts. Second picture, the rear of the new system and how it attaches to my existing rail parts. Third picture, the front anchor for the actuator.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1381.JPG
Views:	368
Size:	1.74 MB
ID:	2258719   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3262.JPG
Views:	364
Size:	869.5 KB
ID:	2258720   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3266.JPG
Views:	318
Size:	890.1 KB
ID:	2258721  

Last edited by ram3500-RCU; 03-10-2018 at 08:52 AM.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:56 AM
ram3500-RCU

As for our building gallery set, we are doing a little more organizing and adding some more pictures and will have it available in a short while. I'll keep you posted here when we are ready to ship them out.

Thank you for the interest. I feel it will be very helpful as this thread is so large that finding things can be a chore.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:09 AM
BillyJ

awesome work
Old 03-17-2018, 03:15 PM
Craig B.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have been using the firgelli actuators for canopies on jets for years and they are great. They are basically a linear servo with the ability to adjust end points. Makes set up easy and they are easy to mount too.
Old 04-01-2018, 05:37 AM
IFLYBVM2

Gary, I see how the Firgelli attaches to the music wire at the front, but do you happen to have a picture of how you are attaching the music wire to the brass canopy rails ?
Sorry to be such a pest, but the pics are very helpful.
Best-Mike
Old 04-01-2018, 04:27 PM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Mike, I used heavy braided cable and wheel collars soldered to the front of the rails. allowed for some play. It cycled about 20 times perfectly, then got jammed and bent the wires and made a mess.... have to start over.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:29 AM
Ken-h
My Feedback: (3)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Guys,

Figured I would show mine, this setup works perfect for me. I have the actuators lined up with the rails, zero binding. I also have shown how I connected them to the rails.

operation video.

Old 04-06-2018, 04:50 AM
txcnguy

Nice. I used a ball link and fixed the Acutronix in two places. Always works.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:43 AM
IFLYBVM2

Hi Ken-Thanks for the reply-that is very helpful. A couple of questions :
-Is the nylon bolt actually threaded into the end of the brass rail or just glued ?
-Are the two aluminum 'L' brackets that are visible on the other end part of the unit itself or ?
-Lastly, can you tell me which part number actuator you used ? I like the speed of it.
Thanks in advance for your help-
-Mike
Old 04-06-2018, 02:43 PM
Ken-h
My Feedback: (3)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Ken-Thanks for the reply-that is very helpful. A couple of questions :
-Is the nylon bolt actually threaded into the end of the brass rail or just glued ?
-Are the two aluminum 'L' brackets that are visible on the other end part of the unit itself or ?
-Lastly, can you tell me which part number actuator you used ? I like the speed of it.
Thanks in advance for your help-
-Mike
Mike,

The Nylon bolt is held in with a 2/56 set screw. You can see it if you look close. The "L" bracket is just something I added to support the other end. You need to make sure it's supported laterally as well. The aluminum bracket was used so I have something easily removable for maintenance if ever needed. That bracket holds a wood piece you can't see in the photo but cradles the end of the unit and the zip tie keeps in place. The actuators I used were L16-140-35-6-R from Actuonix.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:26 AM
Gonzalo38

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anybody has instructions for the "Down and Locked" wing folding mechanism ? Interested on knowing what voltage the system uses (can handle) and how its connected. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-13-2018, 12:48 PM
ram3500-RCU

Originally Posted by Gonzalo38
Anybody has instructions for the "Down and Locked" wing folding mechanism ? Interested on knowing what voltage the system uses (can handle) and how its connected. Thanks in advance.
Yes. It is best powered by the 7.4V liPo. We keep the wing battery in the wing (plenty of room) to keep the wiring short. It comes with it's own control box that is connected to it's own battery, and then connected to the RX.
Old 09-13-2018, 12:53 PM
ram3500-RCU

Originally Posted by ram3500-RCU
Yes. It is best powered by the 7.4V liPo. We keep the wing battery in the wing (plenty of room) to keep the wiring short. It comes with it's own control box that is connected to it's own battery, and then connected to the RX.
We install a service hatch in the bottom of the wing. In it we put the gear and retract power switches, the charging ports for same, and the air gauge and filler for the gear doors. Pictures of all this can be found in this thread.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:29 AM
flypilot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great read this thread, lots of good info..

anyone know what the weight difference is between the plugin version and the all electric wing fold version of this plane is? I would like to build one that is as low weight as possible but i have one wing fold kit available and was wondering if there is much of a difference weight wise and handling wise..

Any comments is appreciated on this matter, thanks..
Old 12-19-2018, 10:35 AM
IFLYBVM2

Default weight difference

From everything I have seen, you can expect a 8-10 lb difference (lighter, of course) with the plug in wing version. The airplane, however, does not seem to mind the extra weight, and in fact carries it quite well; there was a Top Gun example that flew in the high 60lb range if I recall, and it seemed to look about the same on landing speed.
Still, no one can argue that a lighter airframe is better in the long run.
Hope this helps-
Mike O.
Originally Posted by flypilot
Great read this thread, lots of good info..

anyone know what the weight difference is between the plugin version and the all electric wing fold version of this plane is? I would like to build one that is as low weight as possible but i have one wing fold kit available and was wondering if there is much of a difference weight wise and handling wise..

Any comments is appreciated on this matter, thanks..
Old 12-19-2018, 11:07 AM
flypilot

From everything I have seen, you can expect a 8-10 lb difference (lighter, of course) with the plug in wing version. The airplane, however, does not seem to mind the extra weight, and in fact carries it quite well; there was a Top Gun example that flew in the high 60lb range if I recall, and it seemed to look about the same on landing speed.
Still, no one can argue that a lighter airframe is better in the long run.
Hope this helps-
Mike O.
wow, that was more than i anticipated, is it the locking mechanism that is the bulk of the weight or is the wing completely different as well?

what is the total weight of most machines out there?
Old 12-19-2018, 01:18 PM
IFLYBVM2

The difference is in the weight of the wing mechanics, which are not light, and the related controller, and required battery to drive it. This is assuming you convert to Down And Locked electric, which most guys are doing now. The original CARF supplied hydraulic system is problematic, at best, in my opinion.
Average weight on the birds I have seen would be 55-60 lbs, assuming a full cockpit and proper scale detailing, which, in my eyes, is the only way to do one of these birds justice.
-Mike

wow, that was more than i anticipated, is it the locking mechanism that is the bulk of the weight or is the wing completely different as well?

what is the total weight of most machines out there?
Old 12-21-2018, 08:16 AM
ram3500-RCU

Difference is averaging about 10 lbs. The hydrolic version being more with the system and baby oil bladder. The electric version is a little lighter. Flight is the same, providing you use the correct engine. IMO, the plug in version with a Moki 215, has the same performance as the folding version with a 250. They both fly lighter than they are. Where you "feel" the weight is in the landing process.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:19 AM
flypilot

Thanks for the reply guys. Very good people in this thread 👍👍. I will be going for the complete electric conversion and Moki 250. What size 7.4v lipo do you recommend for both the gear and wings?
Old 12-21-2018, 08:27 AM
ram3500-RCU

Difference is averaging about 10 lbs. The hydrolic version being more with the system and baby oil bladder. The electric version is a little lighter. Flight is the same, providing you use the correct engine. IMO, the plug in version with a Moki 215, has the same performance as the folding version with a 250. They both fly lighter than they are. Where you "feel" the weight is in the landing process.
BTW, our Top Gun entry, a few years back, was just north of 70lbs. It was museum scale for static, folding wing, 250 Moki, and had a complex smoke system to puff smoke out the discharge shutes as the guns were fired (couldn't perfect it) but it added at least 8lbs. The plane flew beautifully. Just missed first place with Dino as pilot, due to a couple static details. Dino was near perfect in flight scores. She was the very first CARF Corsair to be equipped with Down & Locked electric gear and wings.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:33 AM
ram3500-RCU

Thanks for the reply guys. Very good people in this thread 👍👍. I will be going for the complete electric conversion and Moki 250. What size 7.4v lipo do you recommend for both the gear and wings?
I agree on the contributions to the thread. As for the battery, you will indeed want to use the Lipo over A123 for the higher voltage. It makes a difference. Neither system uses much in Amp hr. A 2000 - 2500 is more than enough for several flights.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:35 AM
ram3500-RCU

I agree on the contributions to the thread. As for the battery, you will indeed want to use the Lipo over A123 for the higher voltage. It makes a difference. Neither system uses much in Amp hr. A 2000 - 2500 is more than enough for several flights.
Also, we put the battery in the wing to keep the wiring as short as possible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.