Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

New Movie

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 10:02 PM
lbrande
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Movie

Went to the movies today and saw the preview to Red Tail. The Tuskegee Airmen finally have a movie to commemorate their accomplishments.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0485985/

Lew B
Old 12-09-2011, 10:38 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: New Movie

I volunteered my P551B and D models forthe local chapter when the movie hits the theaters. Looking forwad to it
Old 12-10-2011, 02:57 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

There is a 10 year old movie about the 99th made by HBO movies. Really good and worth checking out.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:34 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

ORIGINAL: lbrande
Went to the movies today and saw the preview to Red Tail. The Tuskegee Airmen finally have a movie to commemorate their accomplishments.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0485985/
Lew B
"finally"?
Maybe you're too young to remember a very popular movie about 15 years ago, with Lawrence Fishburne, Cuba Gooding Jr, and John Lithgow (white guy):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tuskegee_Airmen

I believe they became widely known and acknowledged about 20 years ago, when a TV show called "Real People" brought them into the public eye.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:16 AM
lbrande

Well, maybe finally was too strong. I remember the movie, and it was a good portrayal, but this movie withe CGI, seems to bring the flying out in the open. My memory of the previous movie only recalls limited flying with the emphasis on character development to show the rampant bigotry of the times. One scene that was poignant was when the Red Tails were specifically requested by the bomb group pilots.

Lew B
Old 12-10-2011, 09:10 AM
Thunderbolt47
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: lbrande
but this movie withe CGI,

Lew B

CGI, Yuck!! My son's Xbox looks more real than some of these new movies.

I haven't been long watched the "Tuskegee Airmen" movie. Though it was great. Best of all, no CGI.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:01 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

CGI sucked in "Pearl Harbor": 'aircraft' were 'flying' unrealistically fast. I did like the part about the bomb hitting the Arizona tho. As for warbirds: I'll take good old REAL images any day.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:06 PM
lbrande

Unfortunately the movie makers don't understand the speeds involved, hence, the planes are unrealistically fast. They also make the explosions and wrecked vehicles do amazing flips and jumps
Old 12-11-2011, 07:11 AM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

Most of the real Tuskegee guys I've talked to hated the HBO movie. They felt like it was patronizing and silly (in the way the characters were portrayed). Cuba Gooding's character left the audience easily forgetting that all of the guys taken into that program were college graduates.

True that like Pearl Harbor, the aerial sequences look like Independence Day with millions of planes flying around at Mach 9. I guess they're trying to excite the X-Box generation? Real gun-camera footage is far more heart-pounding to me...

Either way, it's nice to see these guys get the lime-light they deserve. I recently got to meet one of the original Tuskegee Airmen at a show in San Diego. I performed the role of "Coalhouse Walker" in Ragtime, and this fellow was in the audience. His son is Brian Stokes Mitchell, a big Broadway star who originated the role I was doing that night. When I found out Stokes' dad was in the house, I was nervous about doing his son's role in front of him. When they told me he was a Tuskegee Airman, I was so thrilled. We ended up calling him up onto the stage in front of 600 people and honoring him after the curtain call.

The only bad thing was having to explain who the T.A. were to the cast. So few young people know any American history anymore...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75748.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	1698465  
Old 12-11-2011, 07:41 AM
barron

God Bless these men and the adversity they had to go through. I for one can't wait to see the movie. I think that it is a great tribute to great men.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:32 AM
prop wash

I too thought that "Pearl Harbor" and "Midway" were terrible as far as the graffics [sp] were concerned .I thank these men for their service.Too long to honor them.
Tom
Old 12-19-2011, 11:02 AM
tuskegee
My Feedback: (1)

Hello to All,
You are mostly right as to the film that are put out....to much show then subject.
Here are a few pic's of the wife and myself with some of the Tuskegee Airmen. They all said that tey enjoyed the movies that have been put out. The history is getting out even though it may be slow, looking at the time they flew. This new movie seems to be a good one as to it's history and content. Some of it was shown at the Gala we went to.If you are here in colorado in Febuary 25th we will be having our R/C Expo atthe old Lowry Air Force Base Hanger 1. Ther Ihope to have my 50cc P-51B ready.
Enjoy the pics.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71053.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	1702170   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34150.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	1702171   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw57500.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	1702172   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zt52229.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	1702173   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ht97809.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	1702174   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ri69907.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	1702175  
Old 02-01-2012, 04:01 AM
hemiflyer1
My Feedback: (2)

This movie has it's flaws, but I loved it. It's got warbirds. I love warbirds.  I'll watch it again when it comes out on dvd too! Most action movies have c.g. nowdays. Redtails is 10 times better then any chick flick or c.g. cartoon (shrek, ect.) that you get draged off too. And don't even get me started on that gay movie "brokeback mountain" that won best picture a few years back.