Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Wingspan Electric retracts

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Wingspan Electric retracts

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 12:07 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Wingspan Electric retracts

ORIGINAL: AZThud

I use a 3 cell 2350 or 2500 mah Lipo and a Castle BEC set to 5.5 or 6.0 volts to drive the electrics on 2 of mine, One uses an HV BEC off of the 12S 6000mah flight batteries. The most flights I have put on in one day was 8 and the 2500 mah battery was at 12 volts at the end of the day, less than half used.

Cheers

That sounds like the gear consumed about ?? 1000 mAh out of the dedicated battery? For at least 8 down and 8 up cycles.....
Old 08-02-2012, 09:52 AM
AZThud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the seriously late reply

For the 8 flights I used about 500 mah out of a 3 cell lipo, that was for the gear, and all other servo's.

My experience has been that the electric retracts don't place a significant burden on the electrics or the batteries.

Naturally all mileages with vary :-)

Cheers
Old 08-02-2012, 11:00 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: AZThud

Sorry for the seriously late reply

For the 8 flights I used about 500 mah out of a 3 cell lipo, that was for the gear, and all other servo's.

My experience has been that the electric retracts don't place a significant burden on the electrics or the batteries.

Naturally all mileages with vary :-)

Cheers

When I was struggling with WingSpans for a couple of my warbirds, almost every suggestion from them was to use batteries with almost three times the capacity those planes used with other electric retracts. The other ones had no problem lifting the gear with 800mAh capacity NiCds. The WingSpans were obviously struggling with 1800 and more. They also advised the use of 5 cell packs for more voltage and the resulting power. I would really take your advice to heart that 'all mileages vary.'

Let us know what you do and how it works out. We really do need more than one source of reliable electric retracts. (almost as much as we need rotators that extend more than 90 degrees)
Old 08-02-2012, 08:09 PM
JurassicJet
My Feedback: (3)

Well...the saga continues.

After replacing this gear I dont know how many times it seems that Micheal finally got the bugs worked out as far as reliability. Not sure though for the real long term.

So, after a firm landing recently the nose gear unit shattered. I sent it back to him and replaced the nose gear with the fixed gear that came with the kit. Then, last Saturday on the very next landing the left main gear shattered which resulted in the now sheared off gear punching a hole in the wing, the gear doors being ripped off from the aircraft slideing down the runway and one of the vertical fins getting ripped off of the tail.

So after contacting him and sending him pictures I was informed that the gear is not made for an airplane that heavy. This is after when I orginally contacted him and told him that the aircraft would be about 21lbs (it grew to 23-24lbs).

He has agreed to give me credit for these gear against some new "heavy duty" gear that is supposedly coming out in September. Not sure what I should do. I thought about making my own gear. Maybe rip the Wingspans apart and use some of the guts for my own design. Problem is I sent him my nose gear so I don't even have that anymore. To say I am not real happy would be an understatement. Plane is sitting on the bench again. I guess I will rip these Wingspans out an put the fixed gear in. $260 shot to hell.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:02 AM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hummm... that doesn't sound so good

I have been thinking about trying a set of his new hanger 9 30cc electric gear, but I'd hate to have an issue with this plane

I'm thinking I better stick with robart and not cheap out, if I damage the plane because of the gear I'd be pissed off

Old 08-03-2012, 03:02 PM
JurassicJet

Here are a couple of pictures of my retracts.

Keep in mind that the nose gear unit shattered but there was no damage to the surrounding structure. In fact, when I landed and the nose collapsed there was another guy standing there watching me and I turned around (with my mouth hanging open) and asked him if I really landed that hard. His reply was "no, looked like a pretty nice landing up until the point where the nose collapsed". Again, no structural damage to the mounting rails.

The main gear mounting rails do have damage but I don't know if that was after the gear flange broke or if the rail broke and then the flange broke. I'm thinking, based on the side of the flange that broke, that the flange broke first and then the remaining attached flange tore out the mounting rail.. not real sure though.....

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43531.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	1788567   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ie98210.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	1788568  
Old 08-03-2012, 08:36 PM
Pilot P51
My Feedback: (6)

Guys
if you are looking for another line of Electric Retracts try Likes Line is another. I have these on my Wingspan B17 using only a 2000 Nicd battery. This is a 48 lbs airplane, I have never had any problems with this gear. A lot of your gaint scale warbirds use these retracts. They are priced high but they are very good. He also makes them for smaller air planes.
www.thelikesline.com

Walt
Old 08-05-2012, 08:39 AM
JurassicJet

Does anyone have any documentation stating the weight rating for these retracts. Especially any emails from the owner? I was told these were good for at least 21 lbs but now there is some backtracking taking place after mine failed. Please pm me if you have any documentation.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:31 AM
WSRetracts

<xml><w:worddocument><w:view></w:view><w:browserlevel></w:browserlevel><m:mathpr><m:mathfont m:val="Cambria Math"></m:mathfont> <m:brkbin m:val="before"></m:brkbin> <m:brkbinsub m:val=""></m:brkbinsub> <m:smallfrac m:val="off"></m:smallfrac> <m:dispdef></m:dispdef> <m:lmargin m:val="0"></m:lmargin> <m:rmargin m:val="0"></m:rmargin> <m:defjc m:val="centerGroup"></m:defjc> <m:wrapindent m:val="1440"></m:wrapindent> <m:intlim m:val="subSup"></m:intlim> <m:narylim m:val="undOvr"></m:narylim> </m:mathpr></w:worddocument></xml><xml> <w:latentstyles deflockedstate="false" defunhidewhenused="true" defsemihidden="true" defqformat="false" defpriority="99" latentstylecount="267"> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="0" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" qformat="true" name="Normal"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="9" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" qformat="true" name="heading 1"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="9" qformat="true" name="heading 2"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="9" qformat="true" name="heading 3"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="9" qformat="true" name="heading 4"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="9" qformat="true" name="heading 5"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="9" qformat="true" name="heading 6"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="9" qformat="true" name="heading 7"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="9" qformat="true" name="heading 8"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="9" qformat="true" name="heading 9"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="39" name="toc 1"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="39" name="toc 2"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="39" name="toc 3"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="39" name="toc 4"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="39" name="toc 5"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="39" name="toc 6"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="39" name="toc 7"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="39" name="toc 8"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="39" name="toc 9"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="35" qformat="true" name="caption"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="10" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" qformat="true" name="Title"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="1" name="Default Paragraph Font"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="11" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" qformat="true" name="Subtitle"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="22" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" qformat="true" name="Strong"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="20" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" qformat="true" name="Emphasis"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="59" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Table Grid"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Placeholder Text"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="1" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" qformat="true" name="No Spacing"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="60" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Light Shading"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="61" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Light List"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="62" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Light Grid"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="63" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Shading 1"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="64" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Shading 2"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="65" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium List 1"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="66" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium List 2"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="67" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Grid 1"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="68" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Grid 2"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="69" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Grid 3"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="70" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Dark List"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="71" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Colorful Shading"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="72" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Colorful List"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="73" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Colorful Grid"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="60" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Light Shading Accent 1"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="61" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Light List Accent 1"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="62" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Light Grid Accent 1"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="63" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="64" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="65" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Revision"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="34" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" qformat="true" name="List Paragraph"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="29" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" qformat="true" name="Quote"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="30" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" qformat="true" name="Intense Quote"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="66" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="67" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="68" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="69" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="70" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Dark List Accent 1"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="71" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="72" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Colorful List Accent 1"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="73" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="60" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Light Shading Accent 2"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="61" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Light List Accent 2"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="62" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Light Grid Accent 2"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="63" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="64" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="65" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="66" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="67" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="68" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="69" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="70" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Dark List Accent 2"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="71" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="72" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Colorful List Accent 2"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="73" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="60" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Light Shading Accent 3"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="61" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Light List Accent 3"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="62" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Light Grid Accent 3"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="63" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="64" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="65" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="66" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="67" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="68" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="69" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="70" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Dark List Accent 3"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="71" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="72" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Colorful List Accent 3"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="73" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="60" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Light Shading Accent 4"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="61" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Light List Accent 4"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="62" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Light Grid Accent 4"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="63" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="64" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="65" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="66" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="67" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="68" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="69" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="70" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Dark List Accent 4"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="71" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="72" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Colorful List Accent 4"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="73" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="60" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Light Shading Accent 5"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="61" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Light List Accent 5"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="62" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Light Grid Accent 5"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="63" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="64" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="65" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="66" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="67" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="68" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="69" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="70" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Dark List Accent 5"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="71" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="72" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Colorful List Accent 5"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="73" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="60" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Light Shading Accent 6"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="61" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Light List Accent 6"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="62" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Light Grid Accent 6"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="63" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="64" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="65" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="66" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="67" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="68" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="69" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="70" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Dark List Accent 6"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="71" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="72" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Colorful List Accent 6"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="73" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="19" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" qformat="true" name="Subtle Emphasis"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="21" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" qformat="true" name="Intense Emphasis"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="31" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" qformat="true" name="Subtle Reference"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="32" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" qformat="true" name="Intense Reference"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="33" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" qformat="true" name="Book Title"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="37" name="Bibliography"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="39" qformat="true" name="TOC Heading"></w:lsdexception> </w:latentstyles></xml><style type="text/css"> Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}</style>

Hi Ron101 and JurrassicJet,

I’d like to assure you that our retracts are made from high quality materials (actually higher quality than our competitors). In addressing your concerns about our P-47 retracts, they have specific features that make them more robust than our competitors. As an example we use flat headscrews to hold the frames together which allows us to make the trunnion wider and stronger but still have the same width of the Robart’s. In addition our struts are stronger because they are made from high grade stainless steel with a thicker wall section. We are able to offer them at an affordable price because our electronics are developed in house and not bought or licensed from a third party company as is the case with Robart’s.

The retracts that JurrasicJet references are rated for up to18lbs. I calculated that they would work in a 20lb plane due to the tricycle configuration as compared to the standard two retract configuration that the rating is based on.Unfortunately, JurassicJet’s plane came in at 24 lbs which is 20% greater than the absolute maximum I communicated. I 100% stand by the quality of our retracts and as with any set of retracts, excess weight is always a factor in performance.

We admittedly had some issues with our rotating retracts in our initial product launch, but that has been corrected and all of our customers taken care of. Our number one priority is customer satisfaction and we go to great lengths to address all of our customers concerns and questions thoroughly and in a timely manner. If you have any additional questions or comments please feel free to contact me directly at [email protected]

Michael Kramer
Owner, WingSpan Retracts

Old 08-05-2012, 02:17 PM
JurassicJet

No where on your website does it state 18 lbs as a maximum. Actually, there is no statement as to max weight other than .60 to 1.20 size aircraft.

Had I known that 18lbs was the design limit I would not have purchased them.

Unfortunately most of this was done on the phone so I have no proof. I do remeber distinctly mentioning 21lbs as a minimum weight that this bird would end up as.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:16 PM
WSRetracts

<xml><w:worddocument><w:view></w:view></w:worddocument></xml><xml><w:worddocument><w:browserlevel></w:browserlevel><m:mathpr> <m:mathfont m:val="Cambria Math"></m:mathfont> <m:brkbin m:val="before"></m:brkbin> <m:brkbinsub m:val=""></m:brkbinsub> <m:smallfrac m:val="off"></m:smallfrac> <m:dispdef></m:dispdef> <m:lmargin m:val="0"></m:lmargin> <m:rmargin m:val="0"></m:rmargin> <m:defjc m:val="centerGroup"></m:defjc> <m:wrapindent m:val="1440"></m:wrapindent> <m:intlim m:val="subSup"></m:intlim> <m:narylim m:val="undOvr"></m:narylim> </m:mathpr></w:worddocument></xml><xml> <w:latentstyles latentstylecount="267" defpriority="99" defqformat="false" defsemihidden="true" defunhidewhenused="true" deflockedstate="false"> <w:lsdexception name="Normal" qformat="true" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="0" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="heading 1" qformat="true" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="9" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="heading 2" qformat="true" priority="9" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="heading 3" qformat="true" priority="9" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="heading 4" qformat="true" priority="9" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="heading 5" qformat="true" priority="9" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="heading 6" qformat="true" priority="9" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="heading 7" qformat="true" priority="9" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="heading 8" qformat="true" priority="9" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="heading 9" qformat="true" priority="9" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="toc 1" priority="39" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="toc 2" priority="39" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="toc 3" priority="39" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="toc 4" priority="39" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="toc 5" priority="39" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="toc 6" priority="39" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="toc 7" priority="39" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="toc 8" priority="39" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="toc 9" priority="39" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="caption" qformat="true" priority="35" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Title" qformat="true" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="10" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Default Paragraph Font" priority="1" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Subtitle" qformat="true" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="11" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Strong" qformat="true" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="22" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Emphasis" qformat="true" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="20" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Table Grid" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="59" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Placeholder Text" unhidewhenused="false" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="No Spacing" qformat="true" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="1" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Light Shading" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="60" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Light List" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="61" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Light Grid" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="62" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Medium Shading 1" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="63" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Medium Shading 2" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="64" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Medium List 1" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="65" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Medium List 2" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="66" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Medium Grid 1" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="67" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Medium Grid 2" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="68" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Medium Grid 3" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="69" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Dark List" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="70" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Colorful Shading" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="71" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Colorful List" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="72" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Colorful Grid" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="73" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Light Shading Accent 1" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="60" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Light List Accent 1" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="61" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Light Grid Accent 1" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="62" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="63" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="64" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Medium List 1 Accent 1" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="65" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Revision" unhidewhenused="false" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="List Paragraph" qformat="true" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="34" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Quote" qformat="true" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="29" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Intense Quote" qformat="true" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="30" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Medium List 2 Accent 1" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="66" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="67" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="68" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="69" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Dark List Accent 1" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="70" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Colorful Shading Accent 1" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="71" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Colorful List Accent 1" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="72" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Colorful Grid Accent 1" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="73" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Light Shading Accent 2" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="60" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Light List Accent 2" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="61" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Light Grid Accent 2" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="62" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="63" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="64" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Medium List 1 Accent 2" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="65" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Medium List 2 Accent 2" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="66" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="67" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="68" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="69" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Dark List Accent 2" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="70" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Colorful Shading Accent 2" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="71" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Colorful List Accent 2" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="72" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Colorful Grid Accent 2" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="73" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Light Shading Accent 3" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="60" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Light List Accent 3" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="61" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Light Grid Accent 3" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="62" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="63" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="64" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Medium List 1 Accent 3" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="65" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Medium List 2 Accent 3" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="66" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="67" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="68" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="69" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Dark List Accent 3" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="70" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Colorful Shading Accent 3" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="71" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Colorful List Accent 3" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="72" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Colorful Grid Accent 3" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="73" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Light Shading Accent 4" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="60" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Light List Accent 4" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="61" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Light Grid Accent 4" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="62" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="63" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="64" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Medium List 1 Accent 4" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="65" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Medium List 2 Accent 4" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="66" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="67" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="68" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="69" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Dark List Accent 4" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="70" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Colorful Shading Accent 4" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="71" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Colorful List Accent 4" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="72" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Colorful Grid Accent 4" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="73" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Light Shading Accent 5" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="60" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Light List Accent 5" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="61" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Light Grid Accent 5" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="62" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="63" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="64" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Medium List 1 Accent 5" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="65" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Medium List 2 Accent 5" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="66" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="67" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="68" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="69" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Dark List Accent 5" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="70" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Colorful Shading Accent 5" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="71" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Colorful List Accent 5" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="72" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Colorful Grid Accent 5" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="73" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Light Shading Accent 6" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="60" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Light List Accent 6" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="61" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Light Grid Accent 6" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="62" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="63" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="64" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Medium List 1 Accent 6" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="65" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Medium List 2 Accent 6" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="66" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="67" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="68" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="69" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Dark List Accent 6" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="70" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Colorful Shading Accent 6" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="71" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Colorful List Accent 6" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="72" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Colorful Grid Accent 6" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="73" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Subtle Emphasis" qformat="true" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="19" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Intense Emphasis" qformat="true" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="21" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Subtle Reference" qformat="true" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="31" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Intense Reference" qformat="true" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="32" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Book Title" qformat="true" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="33" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="Bibliography" priority="37" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> <w:lsdexception name="TOC Heading" qformat="true" priority="39" locked="false"></w:lsdexception> </w:latentstyles></xml><style type="text/css"> Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}</style>

JurassicJet-

You are correct, there are no weight specifications on our website. By specifying the engine class of 60-120, it implies a weight classification of the retracts. It is apparent that we should add the actual weight ratings for our retracts to the website and we will endeavor to do that. Our retracts were designed and the weight ratings set, based on aircraft manufacturer’ssuggested weight limits for planes in this engine class.

Since these retracts were designed primarily for planes like the P-47 with a two retract configuration, going to a tricycle configuration would disperse the weight better and lower the load on each retract. I of course recall our conversation in which you asked if the retracts would work in the TF B-25 weighing about 20 lb. While the TF B-25 technically falls in this engine class it is a little different given it is a twin engine airplane. As Istated above I concluded that that they should handle the weight even at one or two pounds over TF weight specifications *****g out at 19 lbs since they werein a tricycle layout. I would not have recommended you use these retracts in a 24 lb plane as that is heavier than what we discussed. I am sorry that you are dissatisfied. I take customer service very seriously and tried to offer you what I thought was a fair remedy to the situation. I believe the facts in this situation are clear and I stand behind our products and would be happy to discuss this further offline.

Michael Kramer
WingSpan Retracts

Old 09-17-2012, 08:28 AM
Greenfuelboy
My Feedback: (60)

Beep. Beep. Honk. Honk.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:36 PM
RBean

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got a set of his Standard retracts in a CMP Zero that weights in at 16 lbs. I had to send back the retracts twice. The third set has worked great, no problems. Michael was alway helpful and returned or replaced the retracts in a timely manner. The thrid set has over 50 cycles on them and at least 35 to 40 landings on our grass runway with some of the landings being less than perfect.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:24 PM
WSRetracts

There is certainly room for improvement on the quality of our plated finish, but this is typically not the reason our customers buy our product. We provide the performance minded as well as the cost conscience customer with a superior product over the cheap plastic retracts that come with most 60-120 sized ARF's. Our products are also a high quality alternated to the over priced products from our competitors. The quality of the finish has no effect on the durability or performance of the retracts.

The bodies are indeed made from cast aluminum that is more the up to the task of supporting a 15 pound plane. Using cast frames allows for complex geometries that would be far to expensive to CNC machine. For the intended application the trade off in material properties of bar stock to cast is minimal. And while no product is failure proof no matter what the cost, the casting failure shown above is the only known failure out of hundreds of retracts sold. The failure was a direct result of putting them in a plane heavier than what they were not designed for.

As has clearly been noted in the thread there were some growing pains when we first introduced our retracts but these have been resolved and are products are now very robust. Quality is very important and what you will also read in these threads is our commitment to customer service. I am committed to providing the RC customer a high quality product at a reasonable price.

Michael Kramer
WingSpan Retracts
Old 12-29-2012, 08:09 AM
V2rider
My Feedback: (4)

Do you have an estimated date when the 100degree rotating retracts for the TF Corsair will be avail? Any video of them working?