Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Another Fliteskin ME 109 build thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Another Fliteskin ME 109 build thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 09:33 PM
erans

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

More photos... The fuselage has multiple places where the fibreglass shoe twist damage.

Eran
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2015_01_11 09 Test flight damage.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	263.6 KB
ID:	2062888   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015_01_11 10 Test flight damage.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	2062889   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015_01_11 11 Test flight damage.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	216.0 KB
ID:	2062890   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015_01_11 12 Test flight damage.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	2062891   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015_01_11 13 Test flight damage.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	247.8 KB
ID:	2062892   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015_01_11 14 Test flight damage.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	231.2 KB
ID:	2062893   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015_01_11 15 Test flight damage.JPG
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	2062894   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015_01_11 16 Test flight damage.JPG
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	2062895  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2015_01_11 17 Test flight damage.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	357.3 KB
ID:	2062896   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015_01_11 18 Test flight damage.JPG
Size:	617.5 KB
ID:	2062897   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015_01_11 19 Test flight damage.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	853.7 KB
ID:	2062898  
Old 01-10-2015, 11:21 PM
Brad330l
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh mate that is terrible news.
Yes, step back leave it for a while and fix it when you are good and ready.

I will be back onto my Fokke 109 when I get to Geraldton in a couple of weeks.

Cheers,

Brad
Old 01-11-2015, 01:11 AM
JGrc
My Feedback: (29)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Eran,

I'm sorry to hear your maiden didn't go so well, but we all have been there at some point. Luckily, the 109 is very repairable, the nylon wing bolts did their job of releasing energy.
Looking at the picture of the airborne 109 and your description is clear to me what happened: you did not use right rudder and probably was a bit slow for a safe take off.
Not sure you remember a few posts ago you asked me for some tips.
The safest way to take off, specially in the first flights is to use a longer take off run and climb very shallow with plenty of right rudder to correct for yaw. In fact the right aileron will aggravate the situation due to adverse yaw that the ailerons create.

Do not be tempted to yank the airplane off the ground like an aerobatic or 3D airplane. With warbirds, you have to fly the wing.
Also make sure you have full power before the airplane leaves the ground.
Another tip is to use the grass side of the runway as it gives more time to control direction with full power.
Dont get discouraged,

JoseG

Name:	Picture 950d.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	2062923  
Old 01-11-2015, 02:03 AM
fokke

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Jose, you are absolutely right ! The real Messerschmitt and the her models in any scale are little difficult in the take off . Always you need to work with the right rudder to correct the running direction. On my model is the same particularly. Especially in the first flight the pilot should consider this !

Here you can see my first fly, in the and of this fly we discovered that the left aileron worked only from mid-bottom , although thе model fly stable.

GOOD LUCK WITH THE NEXT FLIGHT,YOUR MODEL IS RELY GREAT !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cnb_LGbyq78

Last edited by fokke; 01-11-2015 at 02:06 AM.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:04 AM
erans

Jose - Your assumptions on the take off roll are incorrect. Rudder was used throughout and up to the point of disaster the aeroplane was tracking perfectly.
The mention of ailerons was in regards the point of time AFTER the ground roll started.
The aeroplane was on it first 30m out of about 70-80m I was planning on for a long take off, exactly as you advised. What surprised us all was the fact that the behaviour was as if suddenly a brake was applied on the left wheel. The aeroplane swung violently to the left rolling. What you see in the photo is NOT a take off at low speed. This is an aeroplane thrown into the air around the left landing gear by what seems to be a violent stop of rotation of the left wheel.
While admittingly not having much of warbirds experience, I do have 28 years experience flying of very diverse range of aeroplanes, I hold Australian Gold Wing Instructor rating, and am not shy of admitting a "dumb-thumb" when I have one. This was not one of these times.

The reason I was not flying from the grass was that we have some sprinklers there that are currently exposed and can be an obstacle.

The wing bolts worked well taking some energy off. We joked about plastic wing bolts that never snap when you need them to in the pit area just before the test flight. And yes, the aeroplane is repairable. But after 5 years working on it I do not have the motivation to do it at the moment. Maybe when my new shed will be built.

fokke - Thank you for the comments. Your flying field is amazing. I used to fly on full size WW2 bombers base runways many years ago.

Eran
Old 01-11-2015, 08:40 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This may seem far fetch but I had incident upon landing were the left main landing gear strut rotated 180 degrees in the trunion housing. Flying from a dry lake bed the tire did not bite in and the plane gradually veered off to the left. I had no idea what was going on. In your case if this happen during takeoff we see the results.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:33 AM
JGrc

Erans,

i feel your pain because I've been through the same situation in the past and I made the same mistake.
Otherwise, it is possible that the left wheel locked?
I can't think of another explanation, since you mentioned that the airplane was already tracking perfectly.

JG
Old 01-11-2015, 06:28 PM
erans

flycatch - My retracts (after the ground roll) are intact, and retracted perfectly into the wing (as I took the aeroplane home). It was not a strut rotation issue.

Jose - My theory to the ground loop is as follows:
I was using stronger engine then your prototype and I think that I also swing larger prop (20x8). I may have greater tow-out on my main wheels then your aeroplane (however, this tow-out position of the wheels is the only way that the wheels will fully retract into the wing when the retracts mounted as per the plan, so I can only assume that we have very similar tow-out).
On take-off, the torque from the prop press the left wheel into the ground with greater force then the right wheel (I remember reading somewhere that on the full size ME-109 the tire and shock absorber pressure on the left leg was higher then the right to counteract the torque issue).
As speed increases, I slowly released the back-pressure from the elevator, and as a result the tail was loosing traction.
With the aeroplane now traveling mostly on the main wheels, the left wheel has increased contact with the ground, and the right wheel loosing traction.
Being "tow out", an increase in force to the left result in tire traction "off direction of acceleration" (trying to point further left) and resulting in it the wheel dragging instead of accelerating in rotation, and therefore acting like a break. The right wheel keep accelerating up to the point of loosing contact with the ground.
The left wheel becomes pivot point to the roll throwing the aeroplane around it in the direction of the torque from the prop.

Eran
Old 01-12-2015, 12:59 AM
w1nd6urfa
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

erans,
sorry for your mishap, 109s are notorious on take-off roll

Just a question, why toe-out? I have toe-in on all my 109's to help keep the retracts locked in the open position.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:51 AM
erans

w1nd6urfa - I didn't design the aeroplane or queried the design. I just build it as per plan. I assume that Jose, when designing the aeroplane, took all the required factors into consideration. His aeroplane, built from the same plans, fly well.
On my aeroplane, to fit the wheels in the wing, the retracted position has tow-out.
I'll wait to Jose's reply to see if I did something wrong on my build in regards to this.

Eran
Old 01-12-2015, 11:08 AM
Duplicator41

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by erans
flycatch - My retracts (after the ground roll) are intact, and retracted perfectly into the wing (as I took the aeroplane home). It was not a strut rotation issue.

Jose - My theory to the ground loop is as follows:
I was using stronger engine then your prototype and I think that I also swing larger prop (20x8). I may have greater tow-out on my main wheels then your aeroplane (however, this tow-out position of the wheels is the only way that the wheels will fully retract into the wing when the retracts mounted as per the plan, so I can only assume that we have very similar tow-out).
On take-off, the torque from the prop press the left wheel into the ground with greater force then the right wheel (I remember reading somewhere that on the full size ME-109 the tire and shock absorber pressure on the left leg was higher then the right to counteract the torque issue).
As speed increases, I slowly released the back-pressure from the elevator, and as a result the tail was loosing traction.
With the aeroplane now traveling mostly on the main wheels, the left wheel has increased contact with the ground, and the right wheel loosing traction.
Being "tow out", an increase in force to the left result in tire traction "off direction of acceleration" (trying to point further left) and resulting in it the wheel dragging instead of accelerating in rotation, and therefore acting like a break. The right wheel keep accelerating up to the point of loosing contact with the ground.
The left wheel becomes pivot point to the roll throwing the aeroplane around it in the direction of the torque from the prop.

Eran
Eran.
Your theory is in part correct about the over size engine. The 109 has a relatively small vertical fin and rudder and you really have to be prepared to use a lot of right rudder on take off and keep it there until air speed has built up. Ailerons at low speed are in-effective. In fact the full size has an air foil on the left side of the fin to help keep it flying straight. Your engine is twice the size of what Jose originally used on his, which I believe was an OS 1.6.

Cheers,
Old 01-12-2015, 11:30 AM
Ramstein44
My Feedback: (157)

What about a gyro on the rudder.?
Old 01-12-2015, 12:13 PM
Duplicator41

That would be a great help.

Cheers,
Old 01-12-2015, 09:19 PM
JGrc

Eran and all,
The theory of the toe out does not really convince me, in my airplane is pretty neutral the effect. Also you mentioned that the airplane was tracking straight and full power was not applied, so why would suddenly turn left?
/ The bigger prop can increase the P factor slightly at full power, my airplane uses a 18-8. All it means is that you increase the airspeed and trim the rudder an extra clic or two.
You call it a ground loop, but in a ground loop the wheels are on the ground, I looked carefully at the picture and I see the airplane completely airborne with full right ailerons and neutral rudder.
All I can say is this exact thing had happened to me in the past with this same airplane and it cost me a bunch of repairs! and the reason: it got airborne too soon and not enough right rudder.
Once I figured that out, I started using the rudder through the WHOLE take off and climb and never had another problem.

The attached pic shows how much rudder it takes to track straight while climbing. The second you let go of the rudder during this phase, the airplane is history. Notice ailerons are neutral.
I hope this helps.

JG

Name:	Picture 950.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	462.8 KB
ID:	2063486  
Old 01-12-2015, 11:25 PM
erans

OK, I think it is time to sign off this build thread.
It was a great project, the most complex I tackled to date.
Thank you Jose for the excellent customer support, and thank you everybody who followed and commented.
The aeroplane went into storage and maybe, one day, I will have the energy and time to try and fix it.

All the best,
Eran
Old 01-14-2015, 12:28 AM
w1nd6urfa

Originally Posted by JGrc

The attached pic shows how much rudder it takes to track straight while climbing. The second you let go of the rudder during this phase, the airplane is history. Notice ailerons are neutral.
I hope this helps.

JG
+1 on right rudder
On my 109's I use the following trick: I offset the tailwheel slightly to the left when the rudder is centered.
Then on take off roll my thumb is already pushing right rudder to make the tailwheel track straight and when the tail lifts there is no sudden left pull.

erans,
I believe you're experiencing the emotional disappointment that follows a maiden mishap. Just hang in there, in my experience the eagerness to fly her will come back soon and next time you will anticipate that dreaded left pull and tame the beast

Congrats on a great build thread, I enjoyed every step and it helped me a lot in my explorations with Fliteskin (ARF makeovers mostly).

Now you should start a flight thread!
Old 01-27-2015, 12:07 AM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

From the photo of the plane before impact I see no rudder input.

From my personal experience with an ESM 109 with a lot of power, AXI 5330-24 on 10S, I had a similar maiden result. Rolling out the tail lifted just fine felt and looked normal. The planed appeared to have good speed and was tracking just fine. I remember not having much rudder input in it at the time because it was tracking nicely. As soon as I began to pull up it began to raise the nose and then immediately rolled left and cart wheeled. I was shocked, I couldnt respond fast enough and I used full right rudder.
This crash looks a lot like what I did so in my opinion its just pilot error unfortunately. More speed and more rudder.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:32 AM
erans

My friend David cleaned his shed and invited me to bring the ME-109 for inspection.
Since I lost my job last week and have time on my hands, I took on his offer (order?) to assist.
So, over the last three days we re-attached the broken landing gear mounts, and worked out (by trial and error) a new alignment for the landing gear which is not towed out, but rather perfect strait. This was achieved while still being able to retract the landing gear into the wing with minor modifications to the wheel bays walls.

Achieving this was pre-requisite to an effort to fix the rest of the aeroplane for another test flight.
Over the next few weeks we will work on the rest of the damaged areas. We started by fabricating a new short spar for the wing tip and got it glued back in place.
David took on himself to re-build the rudder for me, and may do some work on the ignition and fuel tank trays.

On inspection into the vertical fin, the horizontal stabilizer glue cracked at the top joints, but is intact on the bottom joint. This should be a reasonably easy fix.
We will also need to attend damage to the cockpit area (which I am yet to investigate in full), the engine cowling, and multiple areas in the fuselage fibreglass (which do not look structural, so we may ignore them for now).

If David will keep cracking the whip on me, I expect rapid progress...

Cheers,
Eran

Name:	2015_05_07 01 Post Crash fix.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	2094444   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015_05_07 02 Post Crash fix.jpg
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	2094445   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015_05_07 03 Post Crash fix.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	2094446   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015_05_07 04 Post Crash fix.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	2094447  
Old 05-07-2015, 03:16 PM
JGrc

Eran,

great news you are back to the 109!! look forward to see this bird airborne. When you glue the stab, use a few threads of glassfibre (tow) to strengthen the joint line. If you have cracks on the fuse, sand really well and epoxy a small patch of glassfibre on the inside. Should make even stronger than before.

Regards,

joseG
Old 05-07-2015, 07:42 PM
w1nd6urfa

We all need a friend like David, don't we
Old 05-11-2015, 03:08 PM
erans

Talking of David, he almost completed the rudder fix.
If all goes well this morning, we will complete all the fibreglass work today.

Eran

Name:	2015_05_11 01 Post Crash fix Rudder.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	2095401   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015_05_11 02 Post Crash fix Rudder.JPG
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	2095402  
Old 05-12-2015, 02:17 AM
erans

Most of the fibreglass work is now completed, with the horizontal stabiliser still waiting to be done (inside the vertical fin). Due to the location of many of these patches (deep inside the fuselage), I could not take photos, and in the photos I did took (below), the fibreglass patches are not as obvious sometimes.
Also, David refurbished the fuel tank tray and is in the process of fixing its mounts.

Eran

Name:	2015_05_12 01 Post Crash fix Fibreglass.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	222.7 KB
ID:	2095482   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015_05_12 02 Post Crash fix Fibreglass.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	358.0 KB
ID:	2095483   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015_05_12 03 Post Crash fix Fibreglass.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	332.3 KB
ID:	2095484   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015_05_12 04 Post Crash fix Fibreglass.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	2095485   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015_05_12 05 Post Crash fix Tray.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	2095486  
Old 05-12-2015, 05:00 AM
erans

I forgot to mention that David completed the rudder fix, and now, back at home, with the wing of my next project ready to come off the plans, it is time to cover the rudder.

Eran

Name:	2015_05_12 01 Post Crash fix Rudder.JPG
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	2095490   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015_05_12 02 Post Crash fix Rudder.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	358.8 KB
ID:	2095491  
Old 05-13-2015, 02:55 AM
erans

Rudder is covered and ready to be re-attached.

Eran

Name:	2015_05_13 01 Post Crash fix Rudder.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	2095650   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015_05_13 02 Post Crash fix Rudder.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	2095651  
Old 05-14-2015, 01:53 AM
erans

The ignition is back on its tray, the refurbished fuel tank tray is now screwed into place.
The main task for today was however to fibreglass the horizontal stabiliser, which is now drying. Hopefully it will prove to be satisfactory strong.

Eran

Name:	2015_05_14 01 Post Crash fix Ignition.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	259.8 KB
ID:	2095803   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015_05_14 02 Post Crash fix Fuel Tank Tray.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	2095804   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015_05_14 03 Post Crash fix Horizontal Stab.JPG
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	2095805  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.