Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Pica 1/5 P-51 Mustang. How scale is it?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Pica 1/5 P-51 Mustang. How scale is it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 12:08 AM
mwunsworth
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pica 1/5 P-51 Mustang. How scale is it?

I'm considering to buy a built Pica 1/5 scale P-51 mustang. I'm not too familiar with Pica and the scale outline of their kits/models. Does the Pica 1/5 P-51 have a descent scale outline? It doesn't have to be competition scale since I'm just looking for a good first giant scale warbird to fly in IMAA events. I've been flying 1/8 scale TF warbirds for some time and would like to step up to the larger planes. Any opinions about Pica's designs and also flying qualities would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt
Old 08-20-2003, 03:58 AM
v6goose

Gidday Matt...

I too am seriously considering the Pica P51. I have been asking around for opinions on both the Pica P51 and the Ironbay (Byron) F4U corsair.
The info i have gleaned about the Mustang have been favourable. Do a search for 'Pica' in here to see some of the replies and others.
The Pica kit does seem quite expensive, but extensive too in all the options you can purchase to make it something special.

Good luck on your project, and please post your findings in here so we can all use the info.

Cheers..

Goose
Old 08-20-2003, 01:24 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Pica Mustangs are a little more work to build but are lighter than comparable designs and extremely strong due to cross sheeting of components. I have had several of the kits (1/5 and 1/6) but never got to build them.

You can order the plans and building instructions from Pica which will give you the best idea. The scale outlines are very good and all I have seen fly looked impressive and are good flyers according to the owners.

If you like the appearance of Hangar 9's new 150 Mustang, the Pica 1/6 scale will be the ticket. It is almost a carbon copy of Pica's design, right down to the scale looking flap construction and hinging method. Same wing span too, Hmm.
Old 08-21-2003, 12:12 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Originally posted by Dick T.

If you like the appearance of Hangar 9's new 150 Mustang, the Pica 1/6 scale will be the ticket. It is almost a carbon copy of Pica's design, right down to the scale looking flap construction and hinging method. Same wing span too, Hmm.
Not quite the same span. The Pica is 74", the H-9 is 77"...but close enough for hmmmmmmm.
Old 08-21-2003, 03:40 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Correct about the span. I will look again tonight as the first glace was quick. However, scaling up/down plans is easy these days.

Doesn't really matter as borrowing someone else work and changing it a bit is common.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:29 PM
thehoker
My Feedback: (193)

Default RE: Pica 1/5 P-51 Mustang. How scale is it?

Im having my second Pica 1/5 being built as I write this,I got one and built it when it first came out.
You will not be dissapointed with the pica.
The assembly manual is first rate every step clearly written out(there arent pictures, but who needs pictures?), there wood quality is the best I have ever seen in a kit.There is a fair amount of balsa blocks to shape, but that is no problem.
The scale outline is better than that of topflite(too chubby), but to be honest there arent a lot of truely scale 51's around especially for this kind of money.
The best part is when your plane is finished, they are sweetharts to fly.
I have a flying bud who finished the giant top flight last year, he flew it some, I flew it some, doesnt fly nothing as nice as the pica.
Flying his ,was the reason I wanted another 51, my large one is too big, (im finding80- 90 inch planes suite me best), so I just happened to find a 1/5 scale pica stang on RCU, I got it for 110.00 plus shipping(lucky me ).
I cant wait untill spring.
Old 01-13-2004, 12:07 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default RE: Pica 1/5 P-51 Mustang. How scale is it?

IMHO, the Pica P-51 definitely has a better outline than either the Byron/Iron Bay or the Top Flite kits. Also, at 89 inches, it is the closest to being exact 1/5 scale. The biggest deviation from scale is probably the airfoil which is quite distinctive on the full size airplane (laminar flow section). However, for a giant sport scale bird the Pica Mustang is better than most in the outline department. (which cannot be said for their Spitfire or P-40!)