Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Top Flite P-51

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 04:03 AM
Toysareforkids
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Flite P-51

I'm buildinga red box TF P51, with a inverted Magnum .61. I would like to know what type of muffler you guys used. I don't really want to hang the stock muffler on it.
So I would like to know what you used, and if you could post some pictures of them, if you would please. Even if their not a red box TF P51.
I'm looking at cutting the body off my stock muffler, and using just the manifold of it out the side. But rather have another choice over that.

Pat
Old 09-16-2011, 05:59 AM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite P-51

See if these guys have something that will fit. Dan.
http://www.bissonmufflers.com/en/index.html
Old 09-16-2011, 10:20 AM
Toysareforkids

They don't have one for my motor. Plus I'm looking for something less then $50.00
Something on the line of the old Du Bro flat type.

Pat
Old 09-16-2011, 11:45 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: Toysareforkids
I'm looking at cutting the body off my stock muffler, and using just the manifold of it out the side.
Pat
IMO,,, That's not a good idea, you'll loose all muffler pressure and it will be very difficult to tune your motor
Old 09-16-2011, 01:20 PM
oldtyme

Toys,

Ok so I called Slimline and they told me that all of the mufflers that they make for OS engines will work on Magnum engines.....they fit!!! Go to the Slimline website http://www.slimlineproducts.com/index.php and look around. Also, call customer support at 480-967-5053 and talk to Bill and he'll help you get the right muffler for you.

Hope that helps,
Andy
Old 09-16-2011, 05:34 PM
Toysareforkids

Scale,
I understand that I would loose thebackpressure, and itwill also won'ttune right.
I wouldn't have actually just cut it off and leave it. I would have hadthe manifold welded to one of these in the picture. None of these will bolt up to, or strap around my motor (the bottom right is the stock magnum muffler). I was hoping to find one of the slimtypethat would just bolt to it. The flat ones in the picturehave baffling in them to make back pressure. Which I also need for the fuel tank pressure.
I was a long time in Tool & Die, and I use to machine custom mufflers, and other parts. But I don't work any more so I don't have the stuff to make my own parts any more.

oldtyme,
I thought the Magnum was the same as OS, Thunder Tiger, and I think ASP. Thanks for the site, I looked but didn't see anything that would really look good hanging out the side of a P-51.

I guess I'm just to picky, and cheap to want to pay much for one. Specally for one that wouldn't look right. But it is only a Standoff Scale plane, but....I don't want a ugly one either!

Pat
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95409.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	1663203   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86548.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	1663204  
Old 09-16-2011, 09:10 PM
balsabuff
My Feedback: (30)

I recall, back in the "Red-box" days, the Tatone and J'tec mufflers were commonly used on inverted warbird engines. They still make them and they're pretty cheap. I also recall that they didn't do that great of a job silencing, but they did get the exhaust out of those tight cowls. Good luck 'buff
Old 09-16-2011, 09:52 PM
oldtyme

ORIGINAL: Toysareforkids

Scale,
I understand that I would loose the back pressure, and it will also won't tune right.
I wouldn't have actually just cut it off and leave it. I would have had the manifold welded to one of these in the picture. None of these will bolt up to, or strap around my motor (the bottom right is the stock magnum muffler). I was hoping to find one of the slim type that would just bolt to it. The flat ones in the picture have baffling in them to make back pressure. Which I also need for the fuel tank pressure.
I was a long time in Tool & Die, and I use to machine custom mufflers, and other parts. But I don't work any more so I don't have the stuff to make my own parts any more.

oldtyme,
I thought the Magnum was the same as OS, Thunder Tiger, and I think ASP. Thanks for the site, I looked but didn't see anything that would really look good hanging out the side of a P-51.

I guess I'm just to picky, and cheap to want to pay much for one. Specally for one that wouldn't look right. But it is only a Standoff Scale plane, but....I don't want a ugly one either!

Pat
I used the Slimline "sport" muffler on an OS46FX with the engine inverted. The pipes were too long but I trimmed them to the length I needed and it worked fine. Why don't you call Bill like I suggested and maybe he can help.