RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Evolution 7 cylinder 260cc radial engine - Operation and maintenance

Old 06-06-2016, 06:42 PM
jymster

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4u5 View Post
James, while I appreciate your resourcefulness, and talent.....and believe me I do apreaciate your info, I just disagree that for a $3k+ engine, we modelers should have to rebuild it. I did replace all of the clips on the rocker arm shafts, as you say, but I do not plan to disassemble the engine for internals. Nonetheless, I now have issues with the brass fittings that retain the cam rod lifters. This appears to be another poor mfg area. You really should have at lease 2D thread engagement into aluminum, and the 2 of mine that stripped out, I just don't see that amount of engagement (not close). I have the skills to pull this engine apart and go thru it, but, for me, I will send it back to Horizon and make them sort it out. If the engine does not run satisfactory, live and learn, I will simply move on to a 2 cylinder opposed. This experience has convinced me that radialsare not worth the hassle. Best of luck to others runnings this engine. Too bad,because when it is running, it is running good and strong.

Jeff
Hi Jeff,

Don't get me wrong, mate, I totally agree with you that you should not have to "fix" a $3k+ engine. If my engine was still in warranty, and/or I lived closer to Horizon HQ, I too would have sent mine back. However, I did not have this luxury. I had the engine sitting in a box for the first 6 months or so after purchase. And during the last half of the warranty period I didn't have much flight time on the engine, and none of the issues had appeared at that stage. So my only choice was to either send it back for repair at my own cost, or repair it myself. I chose the latter. I guess it all depends on what you want out of a model airplane. To me a horizontally opposed twin 2-stroke engine is the last thing I'd want to strap to the front of my model, especially a radial engined airplane. The sound would be terrible! However, that is just my opinion. Everyone is entitled to their own, of course.

I hope you have some luck with Horizon, as they are a great engine when they are running well.

Regards,
Old 06-07-2016, 05:17 AM
F4u5

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm with you James I love the 260 when it's running. I am more of a daily flyer so the opposed 2 strokes are dependable. You have been great help. My engine is on its way back to Horizon so I hope it works out as it looks like it was made for my corsair.

Jeff
Old 08-24-2017, 04:52 PM
2wingsonly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by jymster View Post
G'day Jeff,

That is a real bummer, mate. I can understand your concerns and I agree that there seem to be some serious quality control issues at play here. We've not had as many issues as you've had, but we have had a few. I think the main difference is that we diagnosed the problems quickly and sorted them out early. We now have very reliable engines. Whilst I agree that it is not something we should have to fix ourselves, here in Australia we unfortunately don't have the convenience of being able to send the engines back to Horizon easily, and so can not easily just pop it back for repairs. And now that our engines are out of warranty we have no choice but to be resourceful ourselves. To be fair I also note that there are many unhappy Moki radial owners as well, albeit for different reasons. I think a big part of the issue is that radials just need a lot more maintenance and work than single or twin cylinder engines. It is the nature of the beast, I'm afraid. The full scale engines are no different.

However, these engines do have some quality control issues that can easily be sorted out, with a little bit of knowhow. Below are my two recommendations to anyone owning an Evo 260, to make it a reliable and long lasting engine:

1. Replace all internal circlips (con rods) and external e-clips (rocker arm pins) with quality clips. The stock cir clips are made of inferior steel and are libel to eventually stretch and come off during running of the engine. When the external e-clips come off you can lose a rocker arm assembly. When an internal circlip comes off it can go right through the engine, score the cylinder bore and jam open one of the valves. Can make a real mess if not diagnosed early. Best to replace them all as early as possible.

2. Check all valve guides for fit tolerance. We had 1 or 2 cylinders that threw pushrods, but after checking the valve guides we found that they were sticking open, hence pushrods fell out. We've since honed the pushrod guides, simply my attaching a cordless drill to the valve stem and rotating in and out for several minutes, and haven't had a problem since.

These seem to be the two most common issues with these engines, and something that Horizon should definitely be looking into fixing at a factory level. Apart from these two issues the quality of the engines has so far proved to be excellent. My mate Craige has now clocked over 200 flights on his 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane with the Evo 260. That's a pretty good advertisement right there. However, he did perform the two recommendations above very early on, and now has relatively trouble free running of this engine.
Can anyone tell me the size of the circlips? I would like to source them before I pull mine apart.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:34 PM
jymster

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

2wingsonly,

To be honest I can't remember the sizes, but the easiest way is to remove the old e-clips and circlips an take them to your local bearing or hardware store and get the matching sizes.

Regards,

James.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:30 PM
amilcar

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

can somebody tell me if there are spare parts for these engines the 77 and 33 cc glow? sure they look cool but if something brake like the carburetor or anything else were do I get parts for it?
thanks,
Old 09-24-2017, 03:41 PM
jymster

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by amilcar View Post
can somebody tell me if there are spare parts for these engines the 77 and 33 cc glow? sure they look cool but if something brake like the carburetor or anything else were do I get parts for it?
thanks,
Yes, you can get the major parts from Horizon (probably all parts if you contact them), but you can also get them direct from UMS in India - support@umstech.in
Old 09-25-2017, 01:44 PM
amilcar

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thanks I'm still deciding between this evolution 77 radial and the 3cly saito 60cc gas ..they are about the same price but I want a problem free engine ...,again thanks for the reply
Old 09-25-2017, 05:41 PM
jymster

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
thanks I'm still deciding between this evolution 77 radial and the 3cly saito 60cc gas ..they are about the same price but I want a problem free engine ...,again thanks for the reply
I had over 100 flights with my Seidel UMS 7-70 (predecessor to the Evo 7-77) before the circlip on the crankshaft failed. There was also a little bit of wear on the cam ring, but apart from that I've had no other issues with the engine. It started and ran as well as any O.S. or Saito engine I've owned. My only recommendation is to replace all circlips with better quality ones from the outset. And just make sure you do regular maintenance as you should with any engine.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:49 AM
amilcar

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

yes,u see I'm looking at santo page and for the 3 cly they have almost every replacement part for their engines and then i'm looking at evolution and they have no many parts for their radials ,,still I like more the radial 7 cly and i'm goin to use the engine of choice win a fokker eindecker proctor I'm building ,the plans recommends the zeidel and with this engine the plane will balance perfectly and will fit perfectly .
Old 09-26-2017, 06:20 PM
jymster

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
yes,u see I'm looking at santo page and for the 3 cly they have almost every replacement part for their engines and then i'm looking at evolution and they have no many parts for their radials ,,still I like more the radial 7 cly and i'm goin to use the engine of choice win a fokker eindecker proctor I'm building ,the plans recommends the zeidel and with this engine the plane will balance perfectly and will fit perfectly .
Yes, you can only see the major parts on the Horizon or Evolution websites, however I believe you can get any part you like from Horizon or Evolution, you just have to ask for them. Otherwise you can get all parts from UMS in India direct. See the attached parts list I got from UMS when I ordered spare parts for my Seidel 7-70.
Attached Thumbnails
EVOLUTION GLOW RADIAL ENGINE EXPLODED VIEW.pdf  
Old 09-26-2017, 07:32 PM
amilcar

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

cool ,thanks for the info I think i'll go with the evolution 77 for my eindecker

Search this Thread