Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM 50cc ME-109

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 04:30 AM
n8622t
My Feedback: (8)

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Default RE: ESM 50cc ME-109

WOW Gun Sight too!

Nice job Ty
Old 11-04-2011, 01:17 PM
Fearless Freddie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to buy this plane. I'm very troubled about something... I don't see a spinner....any pics of the spinner.......I went thought alot of PITA with KMP getting a spinner for that old 72WS E 109..waited or rather wasted almost a YEAR.... I hope they didn't issue another plane without a spinner...did they??????
Old 11-04-2011, 01:32 PM
n8622t

relax freddie, the spinner is on its way, lenny at shindinmachine is on the gear and ty is on the cockpit....nothing else to worry about...tomas at vqwarbirds will fix you up

Jimmy
Old 11-04-2011, 03:27 PM
Fearless Freddie

on the way says ...WHO? LoL......... who says.........I know how ESM works.... I called the VA builders and they have NO IDEA when an spinner will be available for this plane ...if ever from ESM......... so again ........who do think is going to build the spinners.....Where are the spinners sold for this plane....I'm not worried about gear or cockpit .
Old 11-04-2011, 03:37 PM
kahloq

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your first mistake is listening to VA builders. Email Tomas at VQwarbirds for ESM related items....or 2nd chouice Arfpros
Old 11-04-2011, 03:49 PM
glazier808
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1!!!

Casey
ORIGINAL: kahloq

Your first mistake is listening to VA builders. Email Tomas at VQwarbirds for ESM related items....or 2nd chouice Arfpros
Old 11-04-2011, 03:59 PM
damagedgoodes

OK guys relax,
The spinners are on the way. I says...thats who The Oz distributor rang me two days ago to ask if I wanted a two or three blade spinner , so obviously pre cut at the factory. They are being shipped to Oz next week from the factory so I wouldn't imagine they would be too far away from you guys in the States. I have a Meister spinner as well and concur with Ty they are just a bit too small. Jimmy, work on the 109 has stalled as I'm concerntrating on finishing my ESM P-40 for a trip at Xmas as well as build a Falcon 120 with a Kingtech K80F for the same trip. Bit of work there as it's still sitting in the box. Better pull my finger out... Ty awesome job on the 109 cockpit, will contact Tomas next week to get one. Chhers guys and keep up the good work.
Dave
Old 11-05-2011, 07:59 AM
fockewulf37
My Feedback: (102)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys here is the installation video for the Cockpit kit...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV8LDk8oPBE

Thanks Ty
Old 11-06-2011, 12:03 AM
n8622t

ORIGINAL: Fearless Freddie

on the way says ...WHO? LoL......... who says.........I know how ESM works.... I called the VA builders and they have NO IDEA when an spinner will be available for this plane ...if ever from ESM......... so again ........who do think is going to build the spinners.....Where are the spinners sold for this plane....I'm not worried about gear or cockpit .
Fredie..you have got to calm down[X(] Check out Dave, he's calm... we dont need you to be blowin a head gaskit, i promise you, according to all of my sources, the spinner is coming not sure when, but I am confident that it is. Heck man Im like you , if you cant get the plane with the required parts, I dont want it. So, just hold on and give Tomas an email, hes a straight shooter.

jimmy
Old 11-06-2011, 12:06 AM
n8622t

Thanks for the video Ty...man a picture is worth a thousand words and your install videos are priceless!

Jimmy
Old 11-06-2011, 07:41 AM
p38mike
My Feedback: (3)

Be wary of people telling you any odd sized spinner is "on the way"! I have been waiting for a spinner for my ESM 89" Spitfire from ARFPROS for nine months now! I've been flying the Spitfire with a 4-1/2 Dave Brown spinner that I also use on my Yellow Aircraft P-38. I agree that some kind of spinner should come with the kit but please refrain from including a plastic exploding spinner like they did with the CMP BF-109! It looked fine alright but could not stand up to a O.S. 1.60 that I have in it. I bought a very good quality scale spinner for the CMP BF-109 from Ty but it was a bear to finish it unless you have the right tools. I contacted Tru-Turn in regard for a 4-3/4 (120mm) spinner for the Spitfire and they said they could make one but it would cost several thousand $$$ to make just one! So I am still waiting....

Here is my ESM Spitfire with the non-scale spinner that I am forced to use. I was thinking about getting the big BF 109 too and this thread has been very helpful. But don't count on a spinner any time soon...Just my two cents.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzPRFR-bwXQ

Regards, Mike
Old 11-06-2011, 09:38 AM
n8622t

ORIGINAL: damagedgoodes

OK guys relax,
The spinners are on the way. I says...thats who The Oz distributor rang me two days ago to ask if I wanted a two or three blade spinner , so obviously pre cut at the factory. They are being shipped to Oz next week from the factory so I wouldn't imagine they would be too far away from you guys in the States. I have a Meister spinner as well and concur with Ty they are just a bit too small. Jimmy, work on the 109 has stalled as I'm concerntrating on finishing my ESM P-40 for a trip at Xmas as well as build a Falcon 120 with a Kingtech K80F for the same trip. Bit of work there as it's still sitting in the box. Better pull my finger out... Ty awesome job on the 109 cockpit, will contact Tomas next week to get one. Chhers guys and keep up the good work.
Dave
Hey Dave, You Ozzies are always first in line Hope that you will share a pic of your new spinner when you get your hands on it...we sure would like to see that cowl with the spinner sticking out the front. Man that thing is going to look great with that big hole plugged up

Jimmy
Old 11-06-2011, 09:42 AM
n8622t

ORIGINAL: p38mike

Be wary of people telling you any odd sized spinner is ''on the way''! I have been waiting for a spinner for my ESM 89'' Spitfire from ARFPROS for nine months now! I've been flying the Spitfire with a 4-1/2 Dave Brown spinner that I also use on my Yellow Aircraft P-38. I agree that some kind of spinner should come with the kit but please refrain from including a plastic exploding spinner like they did with the CMP BF-109! It looked fine alright but could not stand up to a O.S. 1.60 that I have in it. I bought a very good quality scale spinner for the CMP BF-109 from Ty but it was a bear to finish it unless you have the right tools. I contacted Tru-Turn in regard for a 4-3/4 (120mm) spinner for the Spitfire and they said they could make one but it would cost several thousand $$$ to make just one! So I am still waiting....

Here is my ESM Spitfire with the non-scale spinner that I am forced to use. I was thinking about getting the big BF 109 too and this thread has been very helpful. But don't count on a spinner any time soon...Just my two cents.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzPRFR-bwXQ

Regards, Mike
Sorry about your misfortune there Mike...sometimes people say things they shouldn't and you steer away from those folks once they do, but Tomas at VQ aint that type of person, he is a modeler and is looking out for us. Anyway, Dave will have us a pic soon and we can all have a sigh of relief.

Jimmy
Old 11-06-2011, 09:56 AM
Fearless Freddie

Mike is EXACTLY right though and that has been the companies history buddy..... andI hope your right , I really do , it would be a first for me personally , but I've been buying esm for 6 years and thats not been the case at all with any planes I've bought from ESM , no matter who imports them, always missing pieces, waiting spinners , gear , ect ,on and on . Not Tomas fault he only sells the junk. But, they shouldn't sell/ship the stuff untill its all there . I waited almost a year for a 72WS ESM/KMP 109 SPinner.......then they only made about 25 scale spinner and these were gone in a few days. So , what happens is they send barely enought spinners to cover the kits produced , then other people scarf up/buy the spinners for non ESM planes and leave the buyers of the ESM expensive kits with no spinner. The later you buy a kit the chances of getting a spinner are alot slimmer or NIL. Every KIT should be shipped with correct spinner . It a shame this company does all this half-azzeed stuff.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:40 AM
yak54

Teach them a lesson and don't buy their kits! I bet they soon change the way they ship the kits. You guys in the US have a lot of spending power, if you aren't happy make them suffer.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:16 AM
p38mike

Ahh... I bought the ESM 89" Spitfire ARF from VQ (Thomas). Great guy and very responsive, but no spinner. If anybody knows where I can buy a pre-cut (three blade 20x10 or two blade 22x10) 4-3/4" (i.e., 120 mm) Spitfire (or P-51) spinner for under $300 please let me know! The one good thing about the exploding CMP BF-109 spinner was that it is pretty scale and maybe it could be used to make a mold or something.

Regards, Mike
Old 11-06-2011, 02:38 PM
n8622t

ORIGINAL: damagedgoodes

OK guys relax,
Dave
Gee Dave I guess all these sour grapes can only read what they send In...I picked up on your post right away. The rest of em will just have to cry like a bunch of babies till you post the pic...LOL

Jimmy
Old 11-06-2011, 03:23 PM
p38mike

A picture is not worth much. All of the airplane photos have spinners. How do you get one of those?

- Mike
Old 11-06-2011, 04:32 PM
p38mike

I learned my lesson and will not buy this very nice ARF until I know for sure that somebody for certain has a decent spinner for it (and not "an on the way spinner").

- Mike
Old 11-06-2011, 10:39 PM
kwik

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ahh... I bought the ESM 89'' Spitfire ARF from VQ (Thomas). Great guy and very responsive, but no spinner. If anybody knows where I can buy a pre-cut (three blade 20x10 or two blade 22x10) 4-3/4'' (i.e., 120 mm) Spitfire (or P-51) spinner for under $300 please let me know! The one good thing about the exploding CMP BF-109 spinner was that it is pretty scale and maybe it could be used to make a mold or something.

Regards, Mike

Why does it need to be pre-cut? I mean, why dont you buy yourself a nibbler and fix that yourself ?

Noone should pre-cut a spinner, IMO.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:28 PM
Sonny.C
My Feedback: (23)

Dave,

I've been searching the building manual (such as it is) to see how the wings fasten to the fuse. It kind of looks like my old Hanger-9 150 sized P-47 method using a bolt through the fuse into the wing roots. I see a metal blind nut in the wing root that looks like it would be for holding the wing to the fuse, but didn't find any wing bolts either.

You are further along so I thought you might have already crossed this bridge.

Also, the wheel wells both arrived broken because the plastic is so thin and brittle, and I had to cut a slot in the well for the top wing rib before the wheel well would settle into the wing properly. I didn't want to grind away any structure that might diminish the overall strength of the airframe. Very poor documentation, but I still love the plane and can't wait to get it airborne.

The inner flap servos and associated linkages are a bit of a bear to get setup because they are recessed so far into the wing root cavity. Not for the faint of heart.

Made some real progress this weekend. Looking forward to installing Ty's cockpit kit, it really makes the plane come alive.

Cheers,

Sonny
Old 11-07-2011, 01:45 PM
damagedgoodes

Sonny,
Yes the wing is supposed to be held on with one nylon bolt each side. Mine were in one of the bags of parts, sorry I can't remember which as I open all parts bags when I get a kit and put them in an ice cream bucket. That said however one of the blind nuts in the wings had a bad thread, so I screwed a bolt into them by one thread and gave them a quick tap with a hammer to pop them out. I replaced the blind nuts with Dubro types and will also use Dubro 1/4 inch wing bolts. I've done this on my ESM P40 as well. This is because if I travel interstate with my models as I do and I loose a wing bolt or forget them they are easily replaced. From memory however I think the ESM ones are the same thread type but don't quote me on that. Ref the plastic wheel wells, I always ditch them. I prefer to line the wheel wells with 1/16 balsa. I just did this on mine the other day and it took me about an hour in total. Then I just give them a coat of thinned epoxy resin and paint. Another thing I did for my flaps was to use a long number 6 ( or may have been a number 8) gauge wood screw that I cut the head off. 5 seconds on the bench grinder and it had two flats and a 1/16 hole drilled in it. I found that more substantial than the supplied ESM hardware. I'll try to post a pic later today of what I'm on about. Cheers,
Dave
Old 11-07-2011, 01:54 PM
Sonny.C
My Feedback: (23)

Ok, good info. Thanks Dave!

Sonny
Old 11-07-2011, 06:23 PM
p38mike

Then I guess why buy an ARF? I could spend more time cutting out the spinner than assembling the plane and unless you have access to a machine shop it never comes out perfect. I actually did cut out the one I bought from Ty for my CMP 109 and it came out OK (on the second try) but not perfect and it took a bunch of hours and a few cuts on my fingers.

I haven't see an offer yet for a 4-3/4" Spitfire spinner for a plane that has been out for a year now (although several have been "on the way" for some time now). So I would not expect one for the 109 either. I got lucky that the Dave Brown 4-1/2" looks as good as it does but I have no idea what I would use for the 109. That is a very tough size...

Mike

ORIGINAL: kwik

Ahh... I bought the ESM 89'' Spitfire ARF from VQ (Thomas). Great guy and very responsive, but no spinner. If anybody knows where I can buy a pre-cut (three blade 20x10 or two blade 22x10) 4-3/4'' (i.e., 120 mm) Spitfire (or P-51) spinner for under $300 please let me know! The one good thing about the exploding CMP BF-109 spinner was that it is pretty scale and maybe it could be used to make a mold or something.

Regards, Mike

Why does it need to be pre-cut? I mean, why dont you buy yourself a nibbler and fix that yourself ?

Noone should pre-cut a spinner, IMO.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:31 AM
damagedgoodes

Here you go Sonny,
Pic's as promised. The wheel wells are in a raw state at the moment as I haven't got around to finishing them. Ref all the discussion on spinners, I do agree that ESM need to raise the bar and include a spinner due to these large scale models having unique size or shape spinners, after all you need one so include one and charge a few extra bucks. That said I remember the crappy spinner I got with my great planes 1/3 Pitts Special, great paperweight as there was no way I was going to run it on my DA50. Anyhow I've included some pics for Mike of spinner options for the Spit. I used Ty's spinner he had made and supplied to Tomas at VQ. Now whilst a bit short for scale it was close enough for me. The other pic is a carbon fibre spinner 4 3/4 inch that is also a bit too pointy, but when painted looks very acceptable as well. If you dig up the old ESM 50cc Spitfire thread it is ithe same spinner that "The Edge" used and looks good. This spinner is pretty cheap and available from ebay or Hobbyking. Also included is a pic of my ESM P40 with a Ziroli P40 spinner as someone was bleeting on that thread about not being able to find a spinner. Geez guys google away, I've managed to sort things and I've had to order all these bits from the States sight unseen and it's cost me a small fortune to "take a punt". If push came to shove and there was no option for a spinner I'd get someone to make me a carbon fibre scale job.
Mike to help you out with cutting aluminium spinners (and all the ones pictured are hand cut) what I do is cut out a cardboard template that fits just around the prop blade at the distance out from the hub where it goes through the spinner. Transfer the template to the spinner with a Sharpie. Get out your Dremel with a thin cut-off wheel and cut to just inside the lines or as close as possible with small straight cuts. Wear a glove to hold the spinner as it can get quite hot. Then use the 1/2 and 1/4 sanding drum to clean it all up. Put the spinner on then re-draw the cutout slightly larger to ensure none of the spinner contacts the prop blade and trim this out with the sanbing drum. The Ziroli 3 blade spinner took me about an hour all up. Drilling and tapping the holes to hold the spinner on took longer. I personally prefer my spinners un cut as some of the crapy jobs i've seen leave a lot to be desired but each to there own.
Dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20498.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	1683574   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr53335.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	1683575   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr42243.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	1683576   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wp41675.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	1683577   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dp83870.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	300.9 KB
ID:	1683578   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wm84688.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	349.3 KB
ID:	1683579   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ce69029.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	1683580   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ed11703.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	1683581  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.