Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

My pet peeve in scale

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

My pet peeve in scale

Old 11-01-2011, 04:30 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 223 Likes on 114 Posts
Default RE: My pet peeve in scale

ORIGINAL: Desertlakesflying

ORIGINAL: rgburrill

My pet peeve is RCer's who think everyone has thousands of dollars to spend and should do everything their way. Come on people, this is supposed to be a few friends gettting together to have a good time. Some have the money to spend on a 9 foot long ject with everything and some can only buy a foamie. But both should be able to enjoy each others' planes without *****ing about them.
One great big +1 AND........

People that fly RC Jets that have elevators that don't work like the real ones, and are only used for pitch, and not roll too.

It is possible to make the prop you want regardless of what are made by manufacturers regardless of what some say. Like the one on this 86'' Top Flite P-40.

But elevators ARE only used for pitch... but Tailerons are used for both.

Oh and even though you can have a flying prop made for just about any model, that doesnt necessarily mean that it could fly with that prop.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:34 PM
invertmast

Oh,
my biggest pet peeve is.

People with "Air-Show itis". Their is nothing worse than someone who has to go out with their 3d airplanes and insist of violently and un-neccesarily throw their plane around "down on the deck" during normal flying conditions trying to prove how great of a pilot they are, when its pretty obvious they are an accident waiting to happen.

Unfortunately, ive seen this more than i would like, and i have been accurate with it 90% of the time.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:46 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

especially at a Warbirds only meet! Where is a Flakwagon when you need one! Or a SAM, now that would be cooool [8D]
Old 11-01-2011, 05:17 PM
willig10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People who take the hobby too seriously.

I think that scale is a great thing and I truly appreciate all of you guys who spend copious amounts of time getting all the panel lines and rivet details super correct. However after working on a lot of the full scale versions over the years I find it comical because no two planes are the same. All have differentiating panel lines and rivet details are similar but no two are exactly alike.

Anyway I think we should all have the latitude to paint scale models anywaywe like. Especially when it comes to camo. When I was in the Military we spray painted over the factory camo job when the paint was getting weathered. So in essence I guess what I am trying to say is, don't take the scale details too seriously. Close is close enough.

My 2 pennies worth.

I am enjoying this thread.

Glenn Williams
Old 11-01-2011, 05:19 PM
Mpizpilot
My Feedback: (45)

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: invertmast

Oh,
my biggest pet peeve is.

People with ''Air-Show itis''. Their is nothing worse than someone who has to go out with their 3d airplanes and insist of violently and un-neccesarily throw their plane around ''down on the deck'' during normal flying conditions trying to prove how great of a pilot they are, when its pretty obvious they are an accident waiting to happen.

Unfortunately, ive seen this more than i would like, and i have been accurate with it 90% of the time.
Wouldnt that equate to spending months building something to prove what a great builder you are? I've seen way more scale planes going out of control then dod guys.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:33 PM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: Mpizpilot

ORIGINAL: invertmast

Oh,
my biggest pet peeve is.

People with ''Air-Show itis''. Their is nothing worse than someone who has to go out with their 3d airplanes and insist of violently and un-neccesarily throw their plane around ''down on the deck'' during normal flying conditions trying to prove how great of a pilot they are, when its pretty obvious they are an accident waiting to happen.

Wouldnt that equate to spending months building something to prove what a great builder you are? I've seen way more scale planes going out of control then dod guys.
The difference is, proving how great of a builder you are isn't putting anyone else in harms way, until that model takes flight (and typically then its only a danger to the builder/owners ego when said model crash's). Getting air-show itis and trying to one-up the next guy can be very dangerous for all those in attendance.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:58 PM
wallace.tharp

Great discussion and subject. Amen to those who see our comments and attitude as iportant to including new people in our hobby. I liked the comment about the guy that comes out with a poop-stick with WWII decals and wants to take a crack at scale, a potential future champion as long as we do not send him home packing before he even gets a taste of competition. Keep in mind we do not all have the same tate in what constitutes a beautiful women. Ya got your fighters , your heavy bombers, you get my idea. It is all about having fun and that is what has kept me comming back for 30+ years. Wallace. Tharp
Old 11-01-2011, 08:37 PM
SIMCO
My Feedback: (33)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 cent pitch.How about panel lines with a Sharpie. Classy. RIVETS. Most of the people who put them on have never seen an airplane before. Measure your rivet size in 1/6-1/5 size and scale up to 1 to 1. Probably be as big as a dish pan. If the airplane is flush riveted and painted, you don't even see the rivets. Why yes, I do it for a living. Stuffed animals or lack of a pilot. Worst offence is the 15 foot takeoff with a warbird. 2 local warbird flyin's I just cringe at seeing that. I don't think a lot of these guys fly to often to see the glaring error.Makes for a great circus show. Off my soapbox.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:59 AM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: willig10

People who take the hobby too seriously.

I think that scale is a great thing and I truly appreciate all of you guys who spend copious amounts of time getting all the panel lines and rivet details super correct. However after working on a lot of the full scale versions over the years I find it comical because no two planes are the same. All have differentiating panel lines and rivet details are similar but no two are exactly alike.

Anyway I think we should all have the latitude to paint scale models anyway we like. Especially when it comes to camo. When I was in the Military we spray painted over the factory camo job when the paint was getting weathered. So in essence I guess what I am trying to say is, don't take the scale details too seriously. Close is close enough.

My 2 pennies worth.

I am enjoying this thread.

Glenn Williams

Exactly Glenn.

Pardon the term when I say that some people are scale nuts. I think partly the reason why is because scale judging at some of these contests have gone a little too far- forcing the builder to try and get everything perfect and finding documentation to back it. But that's only my opinion.

You are 100% correct when you say that no 2 military or civil aircraft are exactly the same. It was like that for Germany in WWII and WWI as well. I just finished a rebuild and mod of my Discontinued ARF GP Fokker DR1 and you wouldn't believe the research I did on the original Fokker Dr1.

Because it was a ARF originally, I was limited to what I could do. Most parts I made were from scratch because it's almost impossible to find anything in 1/5 scale! Also I was limited what I could do in modification because it would weaken the structure, and I didn't want to do that.

Every Fokker Dr1 wasn't built the same way, some had square panels, some were round. Many cowls had round air intakes in front of the cowl and others were oval, not all the latch handles were in the same spot, The cowl attatchment cable was all set up differently, plus the ground crew often made changes for the pilots. In WWI the planes were all hand built and they were rushed in production often times over looking questionable assembly. (Bad quality)

In WWII some say it was production that won the war, and I tend to agree. It was about production speed and they didn't care about perfection long as it worked including rivit count or if they were evenly spaced and what not. I seen camo put on some scale models that were perfectly put on by the builder, but in reality the military often quickly painted the planes and the masking or lines weren't always perfect.

But back to what another person stated about how some build a master piece and they don't fly them, I tend to understand where the builder is coming from when they decide to make "hanger queen" out of them. Anyone who has built a a very scale work of art knows where I'm coming from.

My Fokker Dr1 took me about a year to build including all the detail. At the S.T.A.R.S. event this year in Cicero, NY I couldn't tell you how many times people came up to me that were perfect strangers- telling me I should make my Dr1 a hanger queen. Often times I thought if I should or not, why? Because getting another GP Fokker is nearly impossible and if I were to find another one the price I'm sure, would be exuberant.

Because I've spent so many hours on this plane and dumped a good chunk of cash building it, I only fly my Fokker Dr1 when the weather is perfect with very little or no cross wind. I made the mistake of doing my maiden in wind gusts over 9mph and it wasn't fun.

It took all my skill not to crash and I focused on my plane so I wouldn't panic. My wife was with me filming, so that helped keep me calm and she reminded me to come in with a little more power when I botched the first landing. ( My wife is a German WWI and WWII airplane buff after meeting Galland and Walter Schuck. More so after she had met me I think.)

At the last S.T.A.R.S. show, I saw that another scale guy and he had a BUSA Fokker Dr1 and I asked if he was going to fly it, and he said. " No, the winds are strong and crosswinds too tricky to safely fly it, not to mention the heat and humidity is a bit much for our engines, don't you think?" So we both agreed that we'd take our work horses out instead. Me it was my Custom Hanger 9 Fokker DVII and he (Dave) was using his BUSA Pup. Our nice Fokker Dr1's remained grounded and I'm happy to say we have our nice work of arts to fly another day, no pride lost.

So if I see someone that made a very nice scale warbird, and they are afraid to fly it because of the weather conditions I understand. But what I don't understand are those who can't tell me if the plane they built is airworthy or not. I can say all my planes are, and if and when I retire a plane or sell it, at least I can say she flew and I have the video to prove it making the plane worth even more. But if a person decides to fly their warbirds or not is not up to me, and I shouldn't loose my panties over it. Not a big deal I don't think.

Great thread so far, keep it coming!

Pete
Old 11-02-2011, 06:09 AM
transatlanticflight

My pet peeve is threads about pet peeves.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:16 AM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: transatlanticflight

My pet peeve is threads about pet peeves.

LOL! Good one! It's like the "Old Men in the Balcony" started this thread, but it does make a interesting read. Can't you guys tell I have no project at the moment?

Pete
Old 11-02-2011, 07:53 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

ORIGINAL: jdeluyck

Mt pet peeve is exposed control linkage... They are not on the full size airplanes, they should not be on the model.
You ever look closly at a Piper cub or a Super Cub?

Old 11-02-2011, 09:12 AM
Meschmidt
My Feedback: (15)

People that put an overly large motor in an airframe and the thing goes 5 times faster than scale speed. Why do they do that? Because they can! Ha! Paul
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71490.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	1681616  
Old 11-02-2011, 09:47 AM
HoundDog

ORIGINAL: Meschmidt

People that put an overly large motor in an airframe and the thing goes 5 times faster than scale speed. Why do they do that? Because they can! Ha! Paul
If it's a War Bird it's supposed to be fast. Power is like Altitude and Air Speed, If Ya ain't got enough, it makes for a bad day. How do U think the Aces got all them Kills? It wasn't by being slower.
Besides if a model is over powered, it the left stick (Mode 2) that defines Throttle management.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:10 AM
tom czenthe

TO ALL OF YOU EXPERTS................PLEEEESE SHOW YOUR MODELS YOU BUILT...........WOULD LIKE TO SEE THEM WITH NO FLAWS OR MISTAKES.............THANK YOU

PS, I WAS ONCE TOLD "THAT IS THE WRONG TREAD PATTERN ON THE WHEELS OF YOUR MODEL" by a scale judge and he was right ??????? "it's never finished, at one point you stop working on it" {Dave Platt}
Old 11-02-2011, 10:18 AM
Meschmidt
My Feedback: (15)

HoundDog, I was being a smart###. All my planes are overpowered!
Old 11-02-2011, 01:42 PM
wallace.tharp

Meschmidt, I got it & I love it! As they say in the Alaska "bush circles," No such thing as too much power, you can always throttle back and the only time you got too much gas is when you are on fire! wallace.tharp
Old 11-02-2011, 01:46 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Just because we have Peeves,, doesn't mean we even mention them at the field and beat guys up,,, Some things are better left unsaid
Old 11-02-2011, 02:29 PM
hellcat56
My Feedback: (21)

I STARTED THIS THREAD
BUT some of you are taking it a little tooooo seriously
it is for pet peeves- not the world is ending

NEW RULE FOR THIS THREAD
YOUR PET PEEVE POST CAN BE NO LONGER THAN 5 WORDS

dont want to hear how you have been
mistreated
put down
lost your dog
your wife doesnt love you
warbirds are not scale-give me a break the word WARBIRD means scale
just your pet peeve
if you dont like the thread -DONT READ IT- and save us all your reasons WE DONT CARE

5 words and get out of the thread

and guys one one pet peave (or post) to a customer
Old 11-02-2011, 03:07 PM
saramos

ORIGINAL: hellcat56

Old 11-02-2011, 03:16 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

nobody will follow that rule (5 words )
Old 11-02-2011, 04:52 PM
HoundDog

ORIGINAL: Meschmidt

HoundDog, I was being a smart###. All my planes are overpowered!

Sorry ... Just being a N1PITA

Old 11-02-2011, 06:11 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I STARTED THIS THREAD
BUT some of you are taking it a little tooooo seriously
it is for pet peeves- not the world is ending

NEW RULE FOR THIS THREAD
YOUR PET PEEVE POST CAN BE NO LONGER THAN 5 WORDS

dont want to hear how you have been
mistreated
put down
lost your dog
your wife doesnt love you
just your pet peeve
if you dont like the thread -DONT READ IT- and save us all your reasons WE DONT CARE

Guys who start threads, and then come in on page 5 with 'new rules'.

And, shined up, glossy, squeaky clean, brand new looking war birds with kill markings all over them, be it full scale or model.

And 4 engine bombers doing laps around the pattern faster than the fighters.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:15 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Warbird simply means an aircraft that was used for warfare. It doesn't mean scale. A profile P51 foamy is just as much a warbird as a 50% super-detailed model. They're both P51s. One may have a 2D fuse and be made of EPO, but it's still a P51, and therefore is still a warbird.

and guys one one pet peeve (or post) to a customer

Hrm...I don't see a staff badge or rank under your username...yet you act as though you're a moderator...Hah. You really, honestly, believe that being the OP means you can set rules? Sorry, bub. Don't work that way. Staff set rules, not thread posters, and there's no rules on the RCU rule page saying we can't post more than once or that our posts need to be 5 words or less.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:34 PM
Fili

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

deleted...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29898.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	1681761  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.