Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

I remember when.......

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

I remember when.......

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 09:57 AM
luckyb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I remember when.......

I remember when if you had an E Z Diablo and an O S 108 you were the man. At 77" it was huge! I remember a guy at the field had a Moki engine( almost unheard of, smuggled from behind the Iron Curtain). I remember flying my Goldberg Eagle in the Fortunoff's parking lot and hitting the building with it( embarassing). Fun!!!........Doug
Old 11-19-2011, 10:20 AM
Wayne Miller

After reading posts in this thread, and it bringing back many memories, I thought I'd add a few of my own:

I remember my first radio, a reed set.

I remember charging NiCd's with a home made charger of a light bulb and diode - you changed the bulb to get the proper charge rate.

I remember only have one transmitter with no model memories, you flew each plane, trimmed it out, then after landing you measured the control surfaces and set up each plane's trim so each plane flew at center trim.

I remember the important lesson of learning which glues were best for different applications.

I'll remember my first model build and also the silk and dope covering.

I remember being amazed when I found out you could now buy "iron on" coverings.

I remember having building my first porportional radio - the one in the RCM magazine.

I remember when magazines had loads of building information and flying hints and also reading all the articles and ads religiously.

I remember a fellow modeller having his friend take him up in a plane to find his lost model, and then searching as a group in the woods for it.

I remember the first time flying on pavement and being astonished that I needed to ad friction to the wheels.

I remember flying on river ice in the winter, and the plane weathervaning into the wind when I tried to taxie back.

I'll always remember those modellers who have given so much to this hobby and shared their valuable information so freely with all other modellers.

I'll remember the friendships and the unselfishness of the many modellers I've met over the years.

But most of all, I'll always remember the look on a new modeller face after his first solo.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne
Old 11-19-2011, 03:47 PM
Scalenut-RCU

Excellent thread, but it makes me feel like an old gezzer myself now. I remember when.....

1) Getting my first .60 glow engine for Christmas and thinking I finally had a big engine now
2) Having to clean the pots so the servos would sort of center up sometimes on my World Engines radio
3) Getting my first Quadra 35 and knew I had a big engine now
4) Driving back from the hobby shop with my first Kraft radio, hard to be happier than that
5) Wishing I had a Koritz (sp?) engine because that was the big engine then
6) Dope and talcum powder as balsa grain filler
7) OMG...some guy named Ziroli has plans out for a giant Corsair that runs on a .60 prop drive...sweet
8) Staying up all night to finish a R/C model so my buddy and I could test fly it in the morning.
9) K & B 500....the best glow fuel ever
10) Boiling nylon props....glad that idea went away
11) Tower Hobbies catalog full of kits and wanting to build all of them
12) Having to change servos to get servo reversing
13) Wishing I could go home at the end of a flying day with no damage to my plane

Last but not least, finding out about model airplanes back in the early 70's from the MAN magazines
somebody left at the school library when I was in grade school.....thanks whoever you were, what a
lifetime gift you gave me!
Old 11-20-2011, 05:03 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Scalenut-RCU

Last but not least, finding out about model airplanes back in the early 70's from the MAN magazines
somebody left at the school library when I was in grade school.....thanks whoever you were, what a
lifetime gift you gave me!
Good point....

For those of you like me, who page through the monthly magazine once and never open them again, my wife used to be a dental office manager, so I would drop off my old magazines in the lobby of her office.

Now I make a point of taking a few with me anytime I have to go to the doctor, or for a haircut, or anywhere else where they have magazines in the lobby.

Leave them there for others to discover!