Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Spad 13 by Maxford

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Spad 13 by Maxford

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 09:18 AM
jmohn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spad 13 by Maxford

The gear just pushes into the slots on the fuse. I used a Y-on a stick for the elevator setup. It's hard to get into the holes, but take your time and you can do it. You could also use seperate contol rods on one or two servos too.

Jeff
Old 12-21-2011, 08:11 PM
armyguy466
My Feedback: (2)

i don't know how your build went jmohn but i'm is turning into a nightmare. the hardware i got isn't right the instruction might as well been in a different language because they really aren't worth useing. its like they don't give you the info you need to build just the pointless stuff to make you fall asleep.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:06 AM
BobH

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

You might call Maxford and tell them about your kit. Maybe they can help?
Old 12-22-2011, 08:26 AM
jmohn

Armyguy,

Sorry it's not going well. The instructions definately aren't the best. I can help if you have questions let me know. The gear get pushed into the slot on the lower part of the fuse. I had to use a rubber hammer to get mine seated all the way. Then use a couple of the metal gear straps they provide and srew them in place. The only place I didn't follow the directions was the wing mounts. I drilled and taped the wing tubes and used srews to secure them.

I have build many biplanes so it was pretty straight forward for me and the instructions were an "extra" thing to help once I got to the CG part

Jeff
Old 12-22-2011, 08:36 AM
armyguy466

i emailed them and they contacted back with useable building info. as for the hardware after looking through the hardware bag i'll use some of it but alot of it i will feel better just to go to my hobby shop and get my own stuff. if it wasn't for the hardware and the instructions i would call this plane a 9 out of 10 its well build and looks great. the only thing that i'm confused about is the pitch of the engine it seems to be alot where the tip of the crank is below the center line. i would upload a pic but i can't ever figure it out.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:45 AM
armyguy466

this is my first biplane the hardest thing i've done to date besides this plane was my cmpro Cessna with a 82 inch wing span. with that i did alot of my own mods. the main thing that freaks me out is because i'm still new and learning is the price i spend on the plane i still have that holy crap i don't want to mess it up feeling.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:43 AM
glazier808
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That feeling doesn't go away easy, unless perhaps, you feel you need to crash 1 just make room in the garage lol

Casey
Old 12-29-2011, 04:12 PM
armyguy466

if anybody would like to see how my build is going i made a video. hopefully it will post soon but my youtube channel screen name is fatrcguy feel free to look it up i'll try to post a link at some point.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:04 AM
armyguy466

i'm finished my build and i made some changes but for the better. i tried the windex for applying the decals well lets just say i destroyed the rooster head decals. the large red white and blue dots on the wings turned out ok but not the best.all the rest turned out great i took the rooster off and threw it away and it looks so much better and cleaner with out it. now i just need to figure out how i'm going to mount the wings for flight.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:42 AM
jmohn

I did the same thing with my decals. I couldn't get the rooster to lay flat and get all the wrinkles out. I ended up using some old Major Decals that I had laying around and made mine a British Spad

I looked at the photos of the original Spad and the rooster was not that large anyway. It's way too big. I agree that it looks much better without it too.

Did the maiden flight last weekend and it flew great. I had the CG at the farthest forward and it still could go even farther forward. I would move it forward another 1/2 inch or so from the recommended point. It has great slow speed flight and lands easily at a crawl.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51258.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	1709144  
Old 01-03-2012, 10:08 AM
armyguy466

thats good to here about the flight i haven't messed with my CG yet when i picked it up by the top wing tube it sat level. i've never flown a bi plane so this will be something new for me. right now i'm haveing engine problems it hates the cold so its a pain to start and keep it going until it warms up. i have desided to use the bottom wing mount and then in the upper wing add some blocking inside the wing and center section so i can put a brace with screws to hold the wings in place fo flight.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:39 AM
jmohn

I ended up drilling and taping the wing tube and using set screws to mount my wing. I didn't like teh brace they supplied with it.

Make sure you keep the CG as far forward as you can for the first flight. Mine was at the farthest recommended point and was still too far back.

I used electric for mine so it's no problem warming it up to run. It was like 65 degrees here anyway last weekend

Here's another shot that shows the decals. I still have to add the numbers and other stuff, but I like it much better that the ones supplied with the kit.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33396.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	1709149  
Old 01-03-2012, 11:22 AM
armyguy466

what was your measurement for your CG i normaly use the wing spar as my CG point and hasn't failed me yet plus i like alittle nose heavy. i really like your decal set up if i knew how to add photos i would but i really like mine without the rooster it looks clean with out it i still have the 7's on the sides which looks awsome all by itself makes me think racing plane.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:08 PM
jmohn

I will be adding the 7s as well as they do look nice and are pretty scale too. I have my CG at the farthest forward point as recommended in the manual. I would go even further forward of that too. Can't remember what that number is, but go forward another 1/2 inch at least. Otherwise it flies great and will slow down and lands great.

Jeff
Old 01-03-2012, 04:07 PM
armyguy466

awsome well it is good to know about the CG. i'm still waiting to fly this winter for me has been really wet and nasty out plus i'm still having engine problems.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:35 PM
jmohn

Good luck on your plane and I hope you get your engine warmed up soon. I hope to get many more flights in this weekend. It got a little windy last weekend and I only got the one flight in, but it was nice.

Should be a keeper and looks very scale too!

Jeff
Old 01-03-2012, 05:34 PM
armyguy466

as soon as i can fly i plan on making a video of its first flight.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:46 AM
jmohn

Someone did shoot some good video of my flight, but it hasn't been uploaded yet. I will share it as soon as it's ready. I am told it looks great

Jeff
Old 01-04-2012, 12:16 PM
armyguy466

that will be awsome it will be nice to see a good video of this plane flying. the video that maxford usa uses is very fishy because the plane they show at first if you really look its not the one flying its still a maxford plane but it looked like they used 2 different planes in there video it took me a while to see it.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:44 PM
jmohn

My take off was not the best as it was way too tail heavy, but otherwise it was good

I will get some more this weekend if the weather holds. Added some more weight and got the CG farther forward. SHould be much better behaved now.

Jeff
Old 01-04-2012, 04:09 PM
armyguy466

things are starting to look up for my Spad i got the engine to fire and run. its a used engine i took out of one of my other planes thats been sitting in the shed for a while. once i do some more tunning i'm going to hopefully do my first flight in a few weeks. another thing how are you likeing your tail wheel mine keeps swinging loose i put thread locker on it and it still shifts.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:15 PM
jmohn

File a flat spot for the set screw to sit on.

Jeff
Old 01-09-2012, 08:13 AM
jmohn

Here is the video from the first flight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVwXg...1&feature=plcp

It was a little tail heavy and not too stable on that flight, but now is much better

Jeff
Old 01-09-2012, 08:48 AM
armyguy466

Awsome Video if i could i'd give you a high five. it sounded pretty windy and looked like you had some wind when taking off. hopefully either today or tomrrow i'm going to try to fly mine. if you haven't seen my last build video i changed my tail wheel out for a DuBro 90-1.20 size replacement. i also added blocking into my upper center section and wind and then i made a strap to put a screw in to hold the top wing. i'm going to check my CG one last time before i try to fly it did you go with the 2 1/2 inches or 3 i'm kinda thinking about splitting that and doing 2 3/4 when i lift it by the wing tube it sits level but i like my planes to be a hair nose heavy.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:57 AM
jmohn

It was pretty windy on the first flight, but it was right down the runway and helps with take off and landing.

As long as you are a little forwrd of the recommended CG it should be fine. Mine flew great a low speed and just got squirely as I increased the throttle. Much better now. I think I am at 2 3/4 so that's a good spot to start.

Good luck on your flight [8D]

Jeff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.