Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Top Flite Giant Corsair ARF Disappeared.

I'm using hitec 645mg in 3 warbirds with good results. They are analog.
    Semper Fi

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I to used HiTec 645MG's and 625MG's I think they are good. Others say that this bird requires better servers, however, IMO they perform well. It is important to have MG's in a big bird that will have vibration.

I just recently found this thread and had already started another with my build:
    http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...m.htm#11447949
    I have removed the MomoKote and fiber glassed the entire plane. I even made a custom scale muffler.

I found that the balsa wood in the rudder is super soft and had to replace it with hard wood to have a solid connection. WarbirdMan showed us on his build thread.
    http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...m.htm#11137589

He also shows that there is a no saddle between the wing and blind nuts. He builds a platform inside the fuselage. I plan on doing this as well. Hope all this helps remove any tail hunting and or flutter discussed here.

Here are some photos.

If there are others build threads please post them (here and or on my thread) as I have been looking and only found two including this one.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wu61618.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	343.0 KB 
ID:	1869265   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sn39923.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	251.4 KB 
ID:	1869266   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Va71554.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	266.4 KB 
ID:	1869267   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xr45730.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	266.4 KB 
ID:	1869268   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Do82766.jpg 
Size:	224.0 KB 
ID:	1869269  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vm82906.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	256.2 KB 
ID:	1869270   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jl94386.jpg 
Size:	240.7 KB 
ID:	1869271   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dc98341.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	351.6 KB 
ID:	1869272   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ml88988.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	357.9 KB 
ID:	1869273   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ht87704.jpg 
Size:	351.8 KB 
ID:	1869274  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fl55956.jpg 
Size:	327.8 KB 
ID:	1869275   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vg33867.jpg 
Size:	255.3 KB 
ID:	1869276  
    RC Models are never finished, you simply stop working on them.
    The strength is knowing when. Corsair Brotherhood #83

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looking good MRadu.
    Which air cylinders are those, specs?
    I have a set of BVM's which might work, on the long side. I bought 1in throw Robarts and these are huge in person so those will go on another plane. Im not a fan of spending $100 on these!
    Like a midget in a urinal I knew I had to stay on my toes...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Chris,

I could not agree with you more at the cost. However, I already paid for main gear on air (Robarts) and the valve (UP-3 http://dreamworksrc.com/catalog/valv...14.html?page=2) for $99.50. So I went with TAM JET's air valves. They come with an "L" bracket and ball link with hardware for $24.99 for each. So yes another $100.00 for the doors.

I'm sure if I looked around I could have gotten the valves cheaper without hardware. However, my two main reasons are that Tam sales quality and if the valve leaks (never had one from him so far, he'll replace it. Also he is close to me and I didn't have to pay for shipping and or wait.

Name:	Lj23081.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	408.1 KB 
ID:	1869341   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dy79241.jpg 
Size:	255.3 KB 
ID:	1869342   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ej13439.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	283.5 KB 
ID:	1869343   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ic84828.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	279.6 KB 
ID:	1869344   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Iu11549.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	298.8 KB 
ID:	1869345  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have the DLE 55ra rear exhaust in my Corsair and just about ready to maiden. If the stock muffler has been addressed here, I can't find it. Is anyone having trouble with it coming loose? It is kinda light weight and I've heard that the mounting bolts squeeze it and come loose. Does anyone have a source for a heavier muffler in same configuration?
    Thanks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here is a thread from the Gas Engines forum regarding issues with the DLE-55RA stock muffler here on RCU: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11..._4/key_/tm.htm

Hope this helps!

I went with the Bennett muffler built for the RA, and its actually quite well built compared to the stock muffler. After reading several comments from people experiencing problems with the stock muffler I just went and ordered the Bennet and never even tried to use the stock one, so I can't say I ever had problems with the stock muffler.

So far so good with the Bennett on my plane.

Link to B&B: http://www.bennettbuilt.com/shop/Mufflers.html

Sonny
    Vailly 113" Fw190, Bob Holman FW190, American Eagles BF109, ESM BF109, Yellow Aircraft P-47, Ziroli Zero

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Sonny.C

Here is a thread from the Gas Engines forum regarding issues with the DLE-55RA stock muffler here on RCU: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11..._4/key_/tm.htm

Hope this helps!

I went with the Bennett muffler built for the RA, and its actually quite well built compared to the stock muffler. After reading several comments from people experiencing problems with the stock muffler I just went and ordered the Bennet and never even tried to use the stock one, so I can't say I ever had problems with the stock muffler.

So far so good with the Bennett on my plane.

Link to B&B: http://www.bennettbuilt.com/shop/Mufflers.html

Sonny
    Two members at our field are using the Bennett muffler with no problems. Reasonable price at about $40
    Semper Fi

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good info; thanks guys.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

When Lining up the cowl to be equal all around, where it joins the fuse, and have the prop shaft centered is a BEAR.Anyone have a good method That does not require a trained Octopus?
    Semper Fi

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I maidened mine last week with a DLE 55 running a Xoar 23x8. Nice flying plane. Easy to land.
    I've attached an image of my plane. I hope.
    It took 12 oz in the nose to balance. This is my first attempt at a large warbird. I've been flying pattern since the late 70's and always wanted a large Corsair.

Name:	Ec88631.jpg 
Size:	177.8 KB 
ID:	1879641   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yv66252.jpg 
Size:	226.6 KB 
ID:	1879642   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ge95593.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	1879643   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lj21383.jpg 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	1879644  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

MAIDEN ACCOMPLISHED!

Got out to the field early this morning luckily the day was dead calm and clear skies. I was up till 3am buttoning up the last things and balancing the plane.

CG per the manual I started to set up the CG machine at 146mm but soon realized the CG machine is too small to deal with this plane inverted. The foam pads slip and spread out on the gull wing. I came up with a simple solution to balance it. I have two aluminum D-rings used for climbing and 40lb test steal braided leader line. I looped one end around each wing spar and then the other end to a D-ring per side. Now I had handles. With the plane in the foam cradle I could pick it up from the wing spar inverted.

Wing spar face to the LE = 143mm

I had to add 1lb 14oz to get it level.

At the field with the cowl off I ran the DLE 55RA with a Zinger 22X8 for 15min at about 2000rpm and then through the range to get a feel for the engine and temps. All running normal and crisp response from the carb per factory settings. As it ran in towards the end I leaned the Low end needle 1hr.
    I was more concerned about the in cowl temps so since there is no access to the needles I richened the High end needle 1hr to anticipate it. With the cowl mounted the engine run up and shut down the cylinder side temp was 167F, fin temp was 250's and running OK. Throttle response still great no hesitation. Good to go...

First flight, dead calm wind, perfect conditions, applied power to get it rolling. I notice you have to get ahead of it with the rudder because there is a slight delay in response at fast taxi to take off speeds. Otherwise pretty easy take off. I was anticipating the typical power up nose over pitch but that didnt happen. The tail came up and started tacking OK.

First couple laps very little trim needed and tracking just fine. I pulled the gear up after one lap again no problems no change in trim. I got up to high altitude and made several stalls into the wind and with the wind to see how it goes. The left wing drops, no flaps, low throttle slowing it down with increasing up elevator waiting for the snap. Fairly predictable, it gets very washy just before it departs. The rudder is pretty effective but you will use all of it until the end to keep it tracking straight.
    Recovery was easy drop the nose add power and redirect but you lose a lot of altitude.

After the stall tests I wanted to see how the flaps effect pitching so at about half power I dropped 50% flaps and went around with very little change in back pressure on the stick. Then I dropped the gear, same power setting, no real changes, then flaps full I had to add more up elevator but still minimal. I made a few laps like this to judge sink rate and speed, all good, still dead calm. I made a couple low slow passes over the runway to feel it out. The Corsair is very stable all dirtied up I was very pleased with it and it looked the part passing by.
    Touching down was pretty normal and no drifting around, touch down and planted thats it right down the center. NOTE I have a couple degrees of toe OUT on the mains and its perfect for me.

Next flight the winds/gusts arrived so I took off in calm conditions but the wind picked up to 10-15mph pretty quickly. I did notice the plane hunt and wag in the wind while before in calm air it tracked perfect so the wind does effect it quite obviously. I made some low high speed passes and basic rolls and loops this time all good as expected.
    Set up to land in the wind I dropped full flaps again to see how it goes. For sure once the wind picks up full flaps makes it hard to land and you will find the plane bobbing and ballooning on approach. Brought the flaps up to half and the landing was smooth. By this time the wind sock was straight out from the post.

Mine is set up with a pilot figure, tail wheel doors and I added an extra small Robart air bottle to increase the volume. The Robarts worked great no hang ups or loss of air. I installed restrictors on the up and down circuits to slow them and it works perfect. Each wheel comes up one at a time, pretty scale effect. Who says you need electrics!?

I was not impressed with the rudder as it comes from the factory so to help matters I slipped a carbon tube over the unsupported section of linkage to take away the flex. This helped but did not cure the deadband in the rudder. The main issue is with the rudder torque rod, it twists, and since its built into the tail I had to leave it alone for now.

So Im pleased with the plane and its performance so far. Now Im going to go ahead and finish the exterior in a USS Bunkerhill scheme with a yellow nose. The dark blue in the sky was OK but the yellow nose and white arrows will help out.

I have to say that with the weight of this model the skin is very soft, dings easy and makes handling the model sketchy. If you have a bulky watch maybe take it off or you will ding the plane. When I flip it over I can feel it flex in my hand so an open hand is required or it will be damaged, especially the fuse.

All in all pretty cool, its my "big" Corsair trainer for now until the CARF Corsair is ready! Composite is the way to go!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Chris Nicastro

Flutter Question

So looking into this and so far having assembled the plane by the book I do notice two big things;
    1) the elevators are very flimsy
    2) the rudder/bellcrank has a lot of twist even after having been epoxied during assembly

The elevators have a lot of flex when you hold the torque rod end and apply a little pressure up or down along the trailing edge.

The rudder will not center by radio due to the assembly of the torquerod and linkage. When you move the rudder by hand there is a great deal of play around the center basically creating deadband. Im not sure at this moment what this is attributed to but a quick guess suggests the balsa is flexing a lot. Im going to have to do some surgery to figure out the problem and fix it. Probably some shear webbing to distribute the load and eliminate LE twist.

Another note, today I installed the main gear and noticed there was 3 different grades of ''hardwood'' and of course it split easily except for the hardest of the group. I predrilled the holes and ran the screws through, it split anyway, to make threads and then CA'd the wood to help seal it.
    Also, check your retract pockets as I have found that my left wing pocket is shorter by 3mm than the right side. The retract would not drop in like the right side did. This was measured from the front of the wing spar to the edge of the front of the pocket.

Question: has anyone else seen these issues?
    Have you built the arf as is and flown it with NO mods?

Im just irritated that this ''name brand'' ARF has these fundamental issues and for the price Im sure not going to consider another one any time soon. IMO this is no better than any of the KMP ARF's Ive built, period. So now Im going to fix these problems and further delay the maiden, probably missing the last few days of decent weather we are going to see for a while as winter closes in.

Oh not to mention I still need to address the wing mount issue that John experienced, because that will send me over the edge with this plane for sure if it fails in flight.

Any updates would be great,

Chris

You could sell yours and Get a Hangar 9 for 1000$ It does NOT include retracts, bomb ordinace or anthing other than a ARF....
    I didn't look at how the elevators or rudder was run...
    It may be worth it, if it had a really cool torque tube setup with other nice scale features...
    The retracts appear to be different than the robarts for the topfite...

As far as the elevators on the topflite and use of the 4-40 wire;
    They have used this on many many planes prior and had no issues...
    The only part of this plane I would check would be the wing hold-on bolt setup, and if it look good, I wouldn't worry..
    If you can\'\'\'\'t dazzle em with brilliance,baffle em with BS

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

While the H9 Corsair looks very nice Im not interested in supporting any more over priced wood and ultrcoat covered ARF's. This TF Corsair was at the top of the range I would pay for a Chinese built ARF. I have several full composite warbirds to build that Ive collected over the years that I must turn my attention back to now.

I think I read that the H9 Corsair accepts the same Robart retracts as the TF model.

The TF flies fine and Im planning on tuning it up to be more stable in wind. The rudder and elevators will get some attention and Ill work from there. It is nervous in some wind and thats what I want to see if I can dampen out by taking away the free play in the rudder and elevators.

Looking at the wing mounting set up it looks like its designed for positive G's more than negative G's. if you pull on the assembly in the fuse you see the flex easily. The wing saddle will distribute the loads so pushing on the assembly makes no difference. So I have to wonder if the reported mount failures were the result of flying inverted or negative G manouvers.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Update;

The cowl fastening design is a pain to live with! If you use the wood backer for the dummy radial it gets in the way of the line of sight for the hex driver to reach the cowl screws. I opted instead to leave this part out for ease of use. Instead I added some small blocks to screw the dummy radial to the cowl. The hidden hardware is cool in theory but this set up is poor, needs improvement.

The cowl screws come loose within two flights so you must use thread lock.

9th landing the tail retract bottom wood block sheared from the bulkhead. Im going to add some wood to this to lower the retract in order to gain some ground clearance.

The wing retaining screws vibrate loose each flight so check them often! I used blue threadlock and it wasnt sufficient. Today I tried a little bit of red and it was better but still they came loose. This needs to be improved.

The rudder torque rod is twisting like a torsion bar so I have to use full rudder in order to do a barrel roll in flight. The carbon sleeve I added to the linkage to reduce flexing helped but its only a bandaid.

Otherwise flying is pretty honest and the speed with the DLE 55 and 22x8 is good. A couple more flights and Im done with the first gallon. The engine is working great, no complaints.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

While the H9 Corsair looks very nice Im not interested in supporting any more over priced wood and ultrcoat covered ARF's. This TF Corsair was at the top of the range I would pay for a Chinese built ARF. I have several full composite warbirds to build that Ive collected over the years that I must turn my attention back to now.

I think I read that the H9 Corsair accepts the same Robart retracts as the TF model.

The TF flies fine and Im planning on tuning it up to be more stable in wind. The rudder and elevators will get some attention and Ill work from there. It is nervous in some wind and thats what I want to see if I can dampen out by taking away the free play in the rudder and elevators.

Looking at the wing mounting set up it looks like its designed for positive G's more than negative G's. if you pull on the assembly in the fuse you see the flex easily. The wing saddle will distribute the loads so pushing on the assembly makes no difference. So I have to wonder if the reported mount failures were the result of flying inverted or negative G manouvers.
    The Horizon people at Joe Nall said it used a Robart gear specially designed for H9 Corsair, they are painted white!
    Semper Fi

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Swordsn,
    I though about getting the Hanger9 however it was not shipping at that time.
    In addition it is smaller then the Top Flite. Correct?
    Also this special gear is new and two things come to mind.
    First how well are they made, and second the supply is not as plentiful as the Robart 148's
    Also what about the cost?
    If you get one please post some photos here and on my build thread.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: SWORDSN

The Horizon people at Joe Nall said it used a Robart gear specially designed for H9 Corsair, they are painted white!
    I hope thats true because painting them white can be a pain if you dont degrease the parts well.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: MRadu

Swordsn,
    I though about getting the Hanger9 however it was not shipping at that time.
    In addition it is smaller then the Top Flite. Correct?
    Also this special gear is new and two things come to mind.
    First how well are they made, and second the supply is not as plentiful as the Robart 148's
    Also what about the cost?
    If you get one please post some photos here and on my build thread.
    No I don't plan to buy one.I already have the TF and I'm in the process of assembly. The cost on there Web is $999 plus retracts The four that flew at Joe Nall looked good. One was involved in a mid-air with a P47. ugly, One had a nitro radial which had a great sound.I am not positive about the mid-air that was the talk.
    Semper Fi

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The mid-air was a TopFlite corsair.......

Also.....

Use a neoprene washer and a lock nut, and you will have NO more loose parts...
    I tried to upload pictures buy Rc unicorn is having some More issues apparently..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I saw the vids on youtube of the elevator and Rudder movement.......

I looked at the corsair and then my p51 and then the fw190........

There must me some control rod flex that is causing that .....

There is NONE in my p51... and none in the fw190......

If you are worried about it ( if I had that much flex and couldn't resolve it quickly.....I would ...

RUN THE CONTROLL RODS ON THE OUTSIDE THE FUSE just like the P51 and fw190!.....

You will not have issues after that change...... Very easy to do, to boot

Otherwise you need to reinforce those control rods!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mine is for sale if anyone is interested...need money
    "Go low if you wanna make a show"
    P-40 Brotherhood #49
    Jimmy

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

NOTICE: In the manual the steps to install the cowl show a "this side up" step which is wrong!! The bands on the cowl that go lengthwise are supposed to suggest hinges. These must be located at 12-3-6-9 o'clock.

I followed the manual not thinking about this, just trying to assemble and fly, and then I realized the cowl was mounted wrong.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: n8622t

Mine is for sale if anyone is interested...need money
    sent you a PM

S

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

no pics tonight thanks to rcu snafu
    P-40 Brotherhood #49
    Jimmy

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

no pics today[:-]
    P-40 Brotherhood #49
    Jimmy

Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast