Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

top flite p-51

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 10:28 AM
schleppenbach_chris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default top flite p-51

so im thinking about buying a top flite p-51 mustang arf this spring and am wondering what kind of engine to throw in it im thinkin bout a supre tigre .90 2 stroke. this will be my first nitro powered plane im also wondering if anyone has tried a multi-cylinder engine in this plane??? let me know what yall think
Old 12-26-2011, 11:19 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default RE: top flite p-51

The ST.90 would provide plenty of power in my opinion. I have not seen an inline twin small enough to fit this size model for many, many years. There have been a couple of 1.20 size inline twins produced in the past but most of them had reliability issues from what I remember. Generally issues with getting adequate cooling to the rear cylinder.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:06 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I put an OS 91 Surpass II in mine and it was perfect.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:02 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

DLE20 Gasser.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:34 AM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The G90 is a great engine for this plane - the DLE20 is also. The OS91 would be good, as would several of the Saito 4 strokes. The DLE20 would use cheaper fuel/gasoline, but be a steeper learning curve than the glow engines. The G90 is the cheapest engine for the power you would want for this plane - it would be much cheaper to buy than any of the other engines. Some would dispute this but the G90 runs great on 5% glow fuel. The 4 strokes need higher nitro fuel- gnerally at least 15% nitro fuel- and generally need to run richer, thus their overall cost per flight is as high and probably higher than the G90 when you figure in the much higher engine cost.

You will need to learn to adjust the carbs on all of them - do you know someone who can help you do this with any of these engines? This might simplify getting the engine set up correctly to avoid flameouts.

How many other warbirds have you flown? If this is your first glow powered plane I would caution you about getting any mustang for a first plane except perhaps the 60 size one made by world models. The typical mustang flies very well but you need to fly it not yank/horse it off the ground - they can do a torque stall/crash if you don't get them up to speed before takeoff, and even then you don't want to pull it vertical until you get up to full airspeed. The World models is lighter and more forgiving of flying that the Top Flight would not forgive. I have had a number of mustangs including the Top Flight, the World Models, the H9 yelow tail version, and now fly only mustangs.

Good Luck

Ed
Old 12-27-2011, 08:37 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Here is a video of this plane with an OS 91 surpass II:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...id=1025#report
Old 01-02-2012, 10:37 AM
schleppenbach_chris

well this is my first glow powered plane and my first warbird but i love the mustangs and dont really have the funds to start out with a more basic plane and upgrade later so im always forced to go big right from the start i have a nitro truck so i do know how to tune an engine so that wont be a problem and my grandpa is a pilot and has taught me alot about flying so im pretty confident in my abilities but thanks for the take off advice i will remeber that! another question what prop would you reccomend using with the ST .90
Old 01-02-2012, 03:53 PM
rc34074

ORIGINAL: schleppenbach_chris

well this is my first glow powered plane and my first warbird but i love the mustangs and dont really have the funds to start out with a more basic plane and upgrade later so im always forced to go big right from the start i have a nitro truck so i do know how to tune an engine so that wont be a problem and my grandpa is a pilot and has taught me alot about flying so im pretty confident in my abilities but thanks for the take off advice i will remeber that! another question what prop would you reccomend using with the ST .90
I have found that the APC 14-6 pattern prop is the best for my G90s. I use 10% Omega fuel with a Fox RC long plug for breakin - I throw away the Super Tiger plug. I also side mount the G90s and use a pitts style muffler with the exhaust tubes crimped down a little to give better back pressure, which gives more even carburetion throughout the throttle range.

Ed
Old 01-04-2012, 09:46 AM
schleppenbach_chris

well i would like to side mount it but the top flite p- 51 cowling is cut out for inverted mount thanks for all the advice im sure it will help when im doing the build and while im flying ill probly have the plane within the next 3 months!!! cant wait
Old 01-04-2012, 10:51 AM
spitfire66

A dle 20 would be great. The engine has an electronic ignition which will make tuning very easy, and being mounted upside down will not be a factor when tuning. My dle 20 was pretty much set right out of the box and is more powerful, dependable, and predictable than any engine I have ever owned. I posted in the hangar 9 spitfire build what it looks like mounted. Also the top flite p-51 arf thread has similar pics and installations. If you want, you can buy an in-cowl pitts muffler for it. Good luck! I think all engines mentioned are good, but the dle 20 is the cheapest, will out perform all of them, and will be easier to operate and cheaper to fuel.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:53 AM
schleppenbach_chris

does anyone have any pics of this plane with a super tigre .90??? just curious on how it looks w that engine in it bout the only pics i can find show a 4 stroke engine in it
Old 01-04-2012, 02:50 PM
rc34074

well i would like to side mount it but the top flite p- 51 cowling is cut out for inverted mount thanks for all the advice im sure it will help when im doing the build and while im flying ill probly have the plane within the next 3 months!!! cant wait
I would not recommend the g90 for inverted mounting unless you can get the tank centerline within 3/8 inch of the g90 carb centerline, with the plane level, or else you will need some kind of regulator for fuel flow. Without a regulator if the tank is too high you will get a change in the fuel mixture as the tank level goes down in flight, which can lead to flameouts. A Cline regulator can overcome this. Another possible issue with inverted is starting the g90- if you get much fuel in the head the glow plug can get flooded and won't light up properly. One way to overcome this is to start the plane upside down.

This is why I mounted my g90s sideways. If you look in my gallery you will see my top flite with a g90 side mounted - I was breaking in the g90 and had the cowl off. This is way back in 2003 - wow - long time ago.

Ed

Old 01-04-2012, 03:37 PM
alanc

i read this as not only your first nitro plane, but your first plane, PERIOD, you also mention you are on limited funds,i admire your pluck, but your relative, who has told you a lot about flying, (full size i take it) will not be able to handle a model plane at all, if you do do this, find a decent able pilot, who will give you condiderable time and patience, and have him buddy the transmitter to his own, then you can try to fly it without the 10 second then BANG ending, i am only trying to help, i have seen it toooooo many times over here, the stang should be your 4th plane, not your first, this flying game AINT easy!!!!!! but if you insist, dont hanagr 9 do a sort of training mustang???? trainer in disguise sort of thing?
Old 01-11-2012, 11:38 AM
schleppenbach_chris

say rc34074 did you have to make any modifications to the top half of the cowl on your top flite p-51 mustang the picture in your gallery didnt show it real well! thanks!

yes alan i know this is wayyy more advanced than any plane ive had in the past and is a huge jump but thats how i learn best by taking giant leaps at a time if i end up crashing it right away oh well then i guess im just gonna have to get really good at rebuilding!!!!! at least im gonna fly mine unlike my uncle who bought a p-51 kit bout 5 years ago and to this day hasnt finished it!!!
Old 01-11-2012, 07:23 PM
rc34074

say rc34074 did you have to make any modifications to the top half of the cowl on your top flite p-51 mustang the picture in your gallery didnt show it real well! thanks!

yes alan i know this is wayyy more advanced than any plane ive had in the past and is a huge jump but thats how i learn best by taking giant leaps at a time if i end up crashing it right away oh well then i guess im just gonna have to get really good at rebuilding!!!!! at least im gonna fly mine unlike my uncle who bought a p-51 kit bout 5 years ago and to this day hasnt finished it!!!
The top half of the cowl on my kit was actually built up from balsa and a few pieces of ply as I recall - I don't remember details about any changes but I'm sure some were probably made in fiting the G90 and its mount into the plane. But your kit is probably different from mine - I recall that Top Flite modified the engine area to accept 4 strokes more easily - mine was one of the earlier versions of the gold edition mustang and there was just enough room to fit the G90 in the front of the plane. But my memory may be off there- this is 9 years ago so........

I do remember hating the Robart retracts that Top Flite recommended though - they were the plastic frame retracts and that plastic frame was WAYYYY to weak for my occasionally imperfect landings,a nd I called up Robart and loudly complained to the owner about them - I'm sure he remembers me fondly .
I NEVER again used Robarts until I bought their 622-5s for my Top Flite 84 inch.

Ed
Old 01-13-2012, 02:26 PM
schleppenbach_chris

ok well thank you for all the help ed cant wait to get my tax return so i can buy that mustang!!! im really looking forward to flying it
Old 01-13-2012, 03:46 PM
Jeremy_D

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you don't want not invest a huge amount of $$$ for your first warbird, wait for the Phoenix 50cc Mustang to hit the US.

It flies like a champ on rails, no bad habits. Have clocked 9 flights on it in 2 weeks and am loving it. Includes all 3 retracts as well as inner gear doors and tail gear and a pretty decent cockpit, plus it is light (9kgs dry). Just my 2c worth.

http://phoenixmodel.com/Default.aspx...atId=63&id=313

(Note my Graphics are custom)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48362.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	1713574  
Old 01-13-2012, 03:51 PM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Any idea what the price might be?
Old 01-13-2012, 04:40 PM
Jeremy_D

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

around the $600-$630 mark in Australian Hobby Shops
Old 01-14-2012, 03:47 AM
hemiflyer1
My Feedback: (2)

Who didn't want a p-51 for their 1st plane. Do yourself a favor and get a plane with light wing loading, it will be all you can handle for a year or so. You will have a blast. Why get a sweet plane (p-51) that you like and then take it out and smuck it. Hear me now and believe me latter, you will break the mustang, it's just a matter of how long. You  need a light , slow and easy to repair airplane.  You'll get a ton more stick time, and then you can  move up when you know what you are doing.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:36 AM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

dont give up on your dream . you could build the 51 and also start a light sport type ,quick building , plane to get
your experience with
Old 01-15-2012, 11:43 AM
schleppenbach_chris

apparantly some folks in here just dont get it or they just havent read all my posts i am not a noob pilot i do know how to fly a plane this is my first nitro but NOT my first plane. i live my life at full throttle i dream big and hold onto my dreams plus i am extremely stubborn when i make up my mind on something i dont change it and never ever give up if i fail at something i just keep trying till i get it right. for example i am almost 22 i own my car, i own my house, i am married, and i have a 6 week old baby girl and this spring im starting my own buisness i am starting up an r/c repair shop. and with all this going on i have alot of people who are just waiting for me to screw up and fall flat on my face which is great because it just makes me even more determined to prove em all wrong success is my only option failure is not!! i love life and have absolutly no regrets!!!! and thank you to those who have been of help or support to me
Old 01-22-2012, 12:13 PM
schleppenbach_chris

well i found another plane to buy that i can fly while im building the p-51 its a carl goldberg piper j-3 cub for 250 dollars all it needs is a reciever and battery
Old 06-04-2013, 07:17 PM
Crashtruk

Just got one from Duanes Planes for AU $455...bargain