Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Spitfire Brotherhood (All Spitfires Welcome)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Spitfire Brotherhood (All Spitfires Welcome)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 11:48 AM
Warbirdguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spitfire Brotherhood (All Spitfires Welcome)

Sonny,

It is on USAF property and was established in the '50s. It used to be just a dirt runway then we pushed the scraped off topsoil from years past back onto the dirt surface, we planted grass (which some said would never grow there again lol). Then we added the paved runway and years of hard work on keeping the grass growing and top soil building, we have it to where it is now. We have a great group of members that maintain it well. The only thing around is a golf course and a skeet shooting range. Other than that, its wide open. We allow camping on site (no water or electricity unless you bring a generator). Last several years there have been many that come in RV's and just make a vacation out of it.

You can check out some of the videos and pictures on our website of our many different flying events we have every year.

So open invitation stands for everyone to come and enjoy.

We have trained master chef's (in outdoor gilling) that provide one of the best concession stands in the south. You never know what will be on the menu. From the finest burgers, BBQ or the ocasional road kill :P

Its always a great time to be had. Ill even have my spit ready for it this year lol.

BTW, welcome aboard all you new guys

WBG

Jamie
Old 01-25-2013, 03:17 PM
flyingpiggy

Hi spitfire brothers.
Does anyone out there have plans or at least good cross section drawings of a low back bubble canopy spit fuselage?
I have a glass Mk9 fuz at 1/6 scale but I would like to model a late build Mk16.

Regards
Dave Read
Spitfire brother #14
Old 01-25-2013, 04:48 PM
TTRotary

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Warbirdguy

Here is a thought. I know this brotherhood is world wide now. But, sometime in the later part of August, our club hosts a fairly large warbird event. You can check us out at http://www.coffeeairfoilers.com/

If you go to our site, you can see the set up of our field. We have a nice paved runway, but, we also have a huge, well kept grass runway that is almost identical to the grass runways of Britain. Would make a great site for any of the brotherhood to meet and show what Spitfires can really do

Lodging is not an issue. Within 15 mile radious, there are at least 2000 rooms. (This is the area of the great Bonaroo music festival, Jack Daniels BBQ contest and the Tennessee walking horse celebration every year). Also at the local airport, there is the Beechcraft Heritage Museum http://www.beechcraftheritagemuseum.org/

So lots of stuff to do other than fly spitfires

Just contact me for info and I will relay it on as it comes.

WBG
Aww man. You're really tempting me buddy. I grew up in Sewanee and we're planning a visit late August to do the Muddy Roots festival and hang out with mom up on the Mountain. Wasn't planning on packing a Spitfire as a carry-on but...

Guys, like WBG says, there's a lot of great stuff to do in beautiful Tennessee. I'm real proud to be from there. I'd add hiking Stone Door / Fiery Gizzard / Fall Creek Falls to the list and a visit to the Station Inn to hear some real country talent. You never know who might stop by...

Spitfire Brother #147
Old 01-25-2013, 05:10 PM
TTRotary

ORIGINAL: BobH Spit flaps are only for drag period.
Split flaps do in fact produce a LOT of lift...180% of wing CL in the flapped section of the wing, to be exact, at maximum lift deflection of 60deg. That's superior to standard flaps e.g. Mustang that produce only 160%. This would be a typical carrier configuration for takeoff, in the event they are used. As we have all seen, they are used in a high-drag "barn door" configuration for landing to slow the plane down, while still providing 90% of their max lift capability. The reason the nose comes back down is the additional drag beyond the max lift point occuring behind the aerodynamic center.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:27 PM
FireBee
My Feedback: (34)

Brotherhood,
For summer planning purposes, come see a Spitfire Mk-IX fly at "Warbirds over the Beach" Va Beach, VA. May 17-19, 2013.

Link shows the heavy metal warbirds, (spit, hurri, Mustang, P-40, corsair, FW-190, B-17, B -25 etc.. but also various other planes, stearman, chipmunk, tiger moth flew and a C-47 did a comabat drop of parachutists. Last years surprise ME-262 jet!

http://www.militaryaviationmuseum.or...aft-on-display

Also have many WW-1 flying replicas on site. That air show is mid-October
Old 01-25-2013, 09:27 PM
Warbirdguy

Hey TT,

Nice to hear from a neighbor

Have a brother that lives in Tracy City. LOL Im sure you know the reputation that place has [:-]

Anyways, pack that thing up and come fly with us Ill stake out a section for all who want to make the treck. Good space is hard to get at this thing. I believe there will be a fellow there that bought one of my C47 kits I used to make and he should have it ready to fly by then. Would make a great photo op to have a C47 leading a pack of Spits in formation

There is one friend from Chattanooga that always shows up with a few German planes to target practice on lol.

Just keep it in the back of you guys minds.

Im moving along on this Yak9 build and as soon as its done, Im draggin the Spit down from the rack and start putting it back together.

I would love to go to VA to see the real warbirds....but, If I go that far, Im sure the wife will use veto powers and Ill end up in Destin Fl with her [&o]

Jamie
Old 01-26-2013, 07:43 AM
WARBIRDRCER
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: jet22b

Hey Brothers;
Just watch this link below!!
Warbird Over Oberhausen 2012
And yes, there are some Spit's there!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRSNNpr6YbY

Sonny
aka
jet22bn
Just had time to watch and it is well worth it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRSNNpr6YbY

Thanks Sonny
Old 01-26-2013, 09:58 AM
Shaun Evans

Hi Spit Brothers!

I've got some Y/A Spit kits back in stock. They're a little less expensive purchased through me than direct!
Old 01-26-2013, 10:19 AM
superjet110

I like it!!
Old 01-26-2013, 10:47 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting! Can you tell us more or send a PM with the details?
Old 01-26-2013, 01:01 PM
OldScaleGuy

Have not made a lot of progress but the elevators are started. Hope to have them finished up tomorrow. I have re-cut all of these parts and used CA for construction. Typically i like to use Titebond II as much as possible and while i believe the weight difference is minimal i am doing what i can to keep the weight down on the tail of this one. I understand C.O. started on his TF Spitfire today so we will be looking forward to his updates.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42778.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	1844564  
Old 01-26-2013, 05:18 PM
jet22b

Hey Brothers,
Some post back, Brother Vasek post a video link about the Spitfire and in it was a 2 seat Spit's. I think I have found more video of that 2 seat Spitfire!!! Take a look at the link below!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDbc5cCM0XA
Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 01-26-2013, 05:53 PM
jet22b

Here is one more video Brothers!! Enjoy!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh1S-C1r_mA

Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 01-26-2013, 06:17 PM
jet22b

One more for the Brothers,
The best of both world, The P-51D and the Spitfire IX flying together and the two pilots did a beautiful job of it too!!
Enjoy!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bz1AraYAwgY
Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 01-26-2013, 08:59 PM
Warbirdguy

The elevators are looking good

You know, Im going to check the elevators and rudder on this CJM Spit. If my memory serves me correctly, I think they are molded. If they are, Im thinking of rebuilding them with balsa. That would lighten up the tail emensly I believe. Ill keep yall posted.

WBG
Old 01-26-2013, 09:50 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

You know, Im going to check the elevators and rudder on this CJM Spit. If my memory serves me correctly, I think they are molded. If they are, Im thinking of rebuilding them with balsa. That would lighten up the tail emensly I believe. Ill keep yall posted.
If yours is like mine was then they are shown built up and fabric covered. Wrong! The control surfaces on the Mk.22/24 Spitfires were metal and not fabric covered.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:03 PM
Warbirdguy

Ill have to physically check. I just dont remember. I didnt build it. Since Im not interested in entering it in any scale events, I really dont care if it is exactly correct. If it keeps me from adding a ton of nose weight, then I'll be happy to sacrifice the look for the weight savings

Ill keep the old ones if they are molded, so if I ever do sell it, they will go with it so the next guy can add the weight to balance lol.

Now, with all that being said, Im putting a sachs 4.2 in the nose, so the heavier engine might bring it up to balancing closer. In that case, Ill just leave it alone. Will make that decision after full mock up and before painting.

Thanks for the heads up though Ill be looking at it more closely.

WBG
Old 01-27-2013, 05:09 AM
OldScaleGuy

Thanks Sonny. More good videos. Great way to start a Sunday morning.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:56 AM
OldScaleGuy

Horizontal tail is basically framed up. One little tip i would like to share with you. When you need to protect a corner from sanding, i use one of the fat Sharpies, side ways along the corner. Then when sanding it is much easier to see and know if you are getting close. It was a lot of sanding to get the tip blocks shaped. Glad that's over.....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91556.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	208.4 KB
ID:	1844907   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66134.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	1844908   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw57679.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	205.6 KB
ID:	1844909  
Old 01-27-2013, 11:10 AM
jet22b

Steve;
I like the way you re-did the stab and elevators!! Far better than the kit!!! I hope to get back into the shop this week and start the glass work on my Spit. I am still thinking I may pick up another Top Flite Spitfire kit from Tower Hobbies and do another build!! Please keep the update coming on your build!! One quick question, are you going with the bell crank flaps system as per the manual or change to each flap has its own servo?? I did go with that setup on my build, but, when I hook up the flaps to the one servo and test them out, I did not get a lot of down flaps. I am guessing maybe 27mm of down and that's with the flaps ATV's at max!!
One more things Brothers, I hope no one come down with that flu bug!! Let me tell you, it will put you down!![&o]
Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 01-27-2013, 11:43 AM
OldScaleGuy

The flu this season seems to be very bad and widespread. The plan now is to use seperate servos for each flap. Reveiwing the plans i think the servo pushrod and flap control horns can be hidden by the radiators. Get well soon!
Old 01-27-2013, 07:00 PM
jet22b

Hey Brothers,
This is something you don't like to see, but, that a close look at the props. Do that look like a wood prop??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature..._oKRMCt3Q&NR=1
I hope they rebuild her!! Beautiful Spit!!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 01-27-2013, 07:05 PM
Warbirdguy

Looks like wood covered in kevlar. To me, it looks worse than it probably is. Hopefully it will get patched back up and flying soon Maybe in this instance a hybrid prop may have saved damage to the engine

WBG
Old 01-27-2013, 07:47 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Hopefully it will get patched back up and flying soon
That particular accident happened back in December of 2009. The Spitfire, MH367, has been repaired and flying again for quite some time.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:25 PM
Warbirdguy

There you go Thats a happy ending to a "having a bad day" story lol

BTW here is a link to a site that has some decals for 1/5th spitfire http://www.iflytailies.com/store/decals/

WBG

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.