Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 17 of 33 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Hangar 9 30cc P-47 Build Thread

Hi Carl.

I think if you were to use the 57,it would be best to mount it in the horizontal way.........you would obviously have to do the side cut-outs for the cylinders in the cowl.

Not sure if you have seen this one on Youtube.......T/F Giant P-47 with Saito 57 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-PrLzezfVM

The T/F P-47 is quite a bit bigger than the H9 P-47.......especially if you compare the wings !!!! ( my flying mate is building a T/F Giant P-47.......he is using the ASP 400 5cyl radial,also he has had to do some cut outs on the cowl !! ).

Looking at the mounting dimensions of the 57,to mount vertical you will have to do some "fancy wood-work" on the firewall to allow for the 100+mm mounting length,the other dimension of the mount is ok....So if you are going to use the 57,go with the HORIZONTAL way.The length is about ok ( from firewall to prop-driver,just a few mm longer than shown on the H9 instructions )........don't forget you have about 20mm or so to protrude into the firewall.

On the weight side of things,I would guess that the 57 ( complete,less battery ) would be approx 1LB or so heavier than the Evo set up..........

I think if it were me,although the 57 is a great sounding engine + plenty of power and can swing a good size prop set-up............I would prefer for use another set up in keeping with the "cowl-lines" on the H9 P-47..............

Hope all goes well with your build..........

Cheers.............Nick (UK).

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: njmheli

The T/F P-47 is quite a bit bigger than the H9 P-47.......especially if you compare the wings !!!! ( my flying mate is building a T/F Giant P-47.......he is using the ASP 400 5cyl radial,also he has had to do some cut outs on the cowl !! )..

Nick, I am very interested to see how your mate is installing the ASP and what the performance is like. Both the TF, and the H9 P47 are begging for radial engines and I have been thinking about this one for a while. I was wondering if he has a build thread on another forum or someting? Or maybe you could send me some pictures or something. I am really interested in seeing how his TF P47 does with this engine.

Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return - Leonardo da Vinci

The not so scale, almost ready to fly, soon to be scrap, Warbird Brotherhood #8

P-47 Thunderbolt Brotherhood #113

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi.

Thanks for your reply / question........my flying "buddy Mark" and I decided to get the P-47 to fly together,I got the H9 and he got the T/F Giant........both great ARTF's,but as mention earlier,the T/F being 1/5 scale,so bigger in all directions.Mark has the 5cyl ASP 400,I have the OS GT55.........so we are doing our builds along side each other !!!

Although this is thread is for the H9 P-47.........thought this would be of interest to all,to see how Mark is doing with his build,so these are a few photos of his engine mounting.You can see from the pics that the mounting is off-set ( as per the H9 P-47 ),so Mark unfortunately has had to cut a couple of "holes" for his cowling to fit over the rockers on two of the cylinders ( will get a pic of this to post later ).

Both of us will be probably doing our "maidens" at the same time,so will post the results as and when we do them..........meanwhile the "builds" continue !!!

Cheers..............Nick (UK).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zw69774.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	137.4 KB 
ID:	1794239   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pk30427.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	109.9 KB 
ID:	1794240   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gl19334.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	132.3 KB 
ID:	1794241  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi guys.

Hope all going well with your builds................just finished the port wing complete !!!! one more to go !!!!

I decided in the end with regard to the nav and landing light to operate these on seperate Tx switches ( fast using up all the channels though !!!).........in my previous post showing the landing light set up,I had to swap-out the spektrum servo ( couldn't stop the chatter / buzz at the end points,although this didn't occur all of the time ).........I have now replaced that with the same Align servo that I used on the inner gear door.
    Cosmetics have now been finished on the nav light surround,painted matt black...........just all the screw heads to "silver over" as necessary.

On the main gear mounting bolts ( 6/32 x 1" ).........I changed these to " Button Head 6/32 x 1" Bolts .......think that they look better and you can still get a good tightening torque on them if needed.

All working great.........this is a link for the nav / landing light on the port wing..........CAUTION.....THE VIDEO SHOWS A VERY BRIGHT LIGHT............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNAanOAhSz8&feature=plcp

Cheers.................Nick (UK).

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nick,

Your build looks great so far, can't wait to see the finished product!
    Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return - Leonardo da Vinci

The not so scale, almost ready to fly, soon to be scrap, Warbird Brotherhood #8

P-47 Thunderbolt Brotherhood #113

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Going to pick up mine today. Will be fitted with a new Moki 50VT, should be a perfect fit
    Best regards
    Alf Hansen
    Norway
    http://www.modellflynytt.no

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Alf.

Welcome to the build forum for the 47........

Would be very interested to see how your Moki 50VT installation goes..........hope you will post some photos when you can ??

I guess Moki have taken one of the "banks" of the 250 to produce the 50VT.......appears to be quite light and looks to have a slightly larger power output to the Saito FG36,so should be ok.....( liked your T/F S/W video,not sure if you can lighten up the H9 Jug as you did with the SW !!!! ).

Keep us up-dated !!!

All the best as your build starts...........

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Friends,

We have finished and flown two samples of this P-47 as electric powered models and are very satisfied with the performance.   We were surprised to discover that we needed almost two pounds of lead attached to the motor box to properly balance the ship.  Far more than we expected.  For anyone considering going EP on this plane we suggest that the battery compartment be extended forward and the motor box be eliminated. The motor batteries must be as far forward as possible.  The space will accept 12 cells with ease.
    A third P-47 has just flown at our club powered by a DLE 55 gas engine.   We expected it to be a hot performer but it was roughly equal to our E-Flite 160 outrunner powered models.

Doug

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Doug,

I run 3 different warbirds with the power 160. I had a fellow with a DA 60 in a TF P40, that could not keep up with my ESM 109 E with a power 160 in it....he was soo pissed as he was really ribbing me about flying electrics...lol
    The power 160's seem to have a lot more power than a fuel powered 160.

Casey
    Fliteskin, Sierra, Nelson Hobby, MICKO aircraft, Getstencils, Holman Plans, VicRC, Castle Creations, Addicted to Luft, BestPilots.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Does anyone know if the cowl for the newer P47 30cc would fit the orginal H9 P47 150? I am thinking of ordering the replacement cowl for the newer plane and repainting it as the old cowl is discontinued. Any help appreciated.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Casey,

We have witnessed the same comparison between EP and Gas Power. I think that these P-47's will only go so fast, regardless of power applied. At any rate we could not be more satisfied with the power setup on these models. 10 minute flight times are acceptable but I would have rather had more battery weight than non-functional lead.

Doug

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wow Doug that is nuts it took so much weight to balance...
    I had a feeling when I was looking at the weight of the power setups it was going to need nose weight, but not that much.

For that reason I went with the Hacker A-60-16L which is 10oz more and went with 12s 65c 5000 mah packs and a CC ICE 160..... I ran no full cockpit to get rid of weight behind the CG...
    My setup is 1.3 pounds more than the stock setup and with the extra 10oz out on the motor I hope I'm close... I'll be sure to run the RX packs and air switch as far forward as I can

I will balance mine tomorrow and let you guys know how my CG works out... I'm just about done

Did you like that way it flies?
    \"It\'\'\'\'s not personal, Sonny. It\'\'\'\'s strictly business.\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ron,

The issue here is simply the rearward location of the motor batteries. Since this model was engineered to be Gas or EP convertible the gas firewall position is much closer to the CG. If the motor batteries could be moved up three or more inches very little lead weight would be required.
    The ship flies very smoothly and predictably even with the higher total weight. Simply a dream to fly. Full flap landings are like riding on rails with plenty of elevator authority right up to a three-point touchdown.

Good Luck,

Doug

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I guess the Moki 50 VT will be a good fit and the extra weight are needed
    Best regards
    Alf Hansen
    Norway
    http://www.modellflynytt.no

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Doug,

I forgot to ask, what battery's did you run?

Casey
    Fliteskin, Sierra, Nelson Hobby, MICKO aircraft, Getstencils, Holman Plans, VicRC, Castle Creations, Addicted to Luft, BestPilots.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Casey,

We are currently running pairs of 5000mah 5 cell.    You will have room for larger 6 cell pairs if you wish.
    An inspired member of our group found the Hanger-9 Razorback version as old stock and installed the Rimfire 50cc motor on 12 cells, fixed stock tail wheel set-up and is flying on no added nose weight.   That is where we were reminded about having batteries as far forward as possible. His arrangement places the batteries almost 3 inches farther forward.

Doug

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: k3 valley flyer

Does anyone know if the cowl for the newer P47 30cc would fit the orginal H9 P47 150? I am thinking of ordering the replacement cowl for the newer plane and repainting it as the old cowl is discontinued. Any help appreciated.
    Yes. See attached Post from Bill Brundle.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=10788794

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Anybody using something besides the EVO 40cc to power this plane.

I currently building mine out, and have not decided on the power plant.

I was thinking of the new DLE 35cc Rear Exhaust.  It is said to have 4.1 HP.  More than the DLE 30cc.

A second choice might be the 30cc from Syssa (Meriden Connecticut).  I have this in a 10 lb 3D plane, and it is fantastic.

My plane will be using the full build out;  Electric retracts (all three) and the cockpit buildout with pilot.

Any ideas out there?

When all else fails, Just fly it!
    Pilot RC 26% Extra - Syssa 180HP
    H9 30cc P47 Thunder Bolt - DLE 55RA
    H9 1/4 Super Cub - Syssa 180HP
    P-47 Thunderbolt Brotherhood #87

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi.

I'm using the OS 55GT.................check out post # 322 in this thread.

Cheers..................Nick (UK).

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

FlymoreRC

My clubmate is flying his  30 cc Jug on the DLE 55 and it is a real powerhouse.  Vertical performance is unlimited.  The included muffler hangs on the side and required a large section of cowl to be removed.  Even with this big engine the ship still needed about 18 oz. of lead to balance. (he is using a retractable tail wheel)   The drawback has been destructive vibration.  He has broken cowl mounts, servo mounts and several sections of interior fuse framing have come unglued. 

Good Luck,

Doug

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Doug.

Thanks for the info.............I have already reinforced ( additional epoxy etc ) all around the firewall and all along the "crutches" into the fuzz and also the interior frames....where I can get too !!! I'm hoping that the OS is a "sweet runner",using a well balanced blade !!! The cowl is already reinforced with carbon tape around all the mounts,the exhaust is still "in cowl" as per the Evo40.

It will be a few more weeks before she is ready for the maiden,so will post the results on this thread...........

I'm hoping that my batteries will help with the "required nose weight" as the OS 55 is similar in all -up wt to the Evo40,not too much in it. I will be running with 5 batteries in the nose area, one "heavy" battery right ontop of the "mounting-box" for the engine,this is for the nav and landing lights,( 2 x batts for Rx,I batt for ignition and 1 x batt for the "lado main and T/W retracts ).........so,again hoping that this will be "useful" weight and will only have to add a small amount of "useless" weight !!!

Thanks again.

Cheers.................Nick (UK).

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

njmheli

We were all thinking the same thing  about "useless weight " as we built three of these planes at the same time.    Every one of them regardless of power system required between 18oz. and  26oz. of lead.   The EP versions required the most weight.    Yes, we all have the big NiMiH batteries as far forward as we could get them and we all have installed  Robart electric retracts.  This model is simply  short in the nose and built heavy in the tail!  No getting around it.   The full cockpit makes it even worse.  Leave space around the firewall to bolt blocks of lead to.   We were all  worried sick about  potential  bad flying qualities but were proven wrong.  This plane is a dream to fly  any way you power it.   You really have to mistreat the bird to even approach a tip-stall.   Finish your build and have a good time but be ready to "pour on the lead".
    I will try to post some photos of our squadron soon.
    Regards,

Doug

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Some photos of our "Jugs"

Doug

Name:	Ge95146.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	1800506   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qm36072.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	150.6 KB 
ID:	1800507  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey guys...

I'm installing my electric Robart retracts and am having an issue with the fit of the main gear door. I have removed some of the wing rib as instructed to by the manual but I can't seem to get the middle of the gear door to fit flush and was wondering if any of you had the same problem?

Iv'e included a couple of pics...

#1 shows the problem. The area over the axle is about 1/8 inch high.
    #2 shows the inner door which fits perfectly.

Thanks for any help!

Curt

Name:	Bz78940.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	1800752   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Av68875.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	1800753  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Curt.

Trying to see exactly what the fit problem is............I didn't have any problems :

When you cut away the wing rib..........can you rotate the wheel in the "well" in the retracted position...? ( don't forget you have to add the "clear-plastic" spacers at the two outermost bolts on the Robart chassis,these will tilt the whole oleo downwards into the well a bit more).My wheels,and I'm using the Robart 8 spoke ali-wheels,rotate in the well in the retracted position.

Also ensure that the oleo / whell alignment is not too much toe-in or toe-out..........this will also affect the seating of the wheel on that "rib" you have partly cut-away......

Your length on the oleo to the main door looks about right,looks as if you havn't "drilled the holes as yet to mount the main door...?

Also ensure that the oleo is firmly seated in the "retract-pivot block".........Robart only give that end a "quick scuff" to remove the gray primer there.......

I'll try to take some photo's of my gear-well etc to show you.........( just about finished the instal on the Stbd wing ).

Cheers..............Nick (UK).

Page 17 of 33 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast