Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Hangar 9 30cc P-47 Build Thread

Good points guys and I do apologize if I have offended anyone. The main plugs for Horizon Products are for the sealing iron, glove, and gun. Of course any type/brand would work.

For the Robart and Dremel parts I used I just posted the links to the Horizon Hobby website as a reference for those looking for them. The thought is although the level for this model is of the advanced modeler, hopefully some may be looking to this as their first build and or may take some items away in their minds for other builds. That was the intent, nothing more.

Yes I do work at Horizon but honestly want you to purchse the items or accessories where ever you feel best doing so.

So for the future of the thread I will leave the references out that are Horizon Products. I will continue to list any parts or tools I use just to better help people understand who may not have these in their shop.

The end goal is for people to pull knowledge oput of this thread to help them better enjoy this great hobby regardless of what brand model they may fly.

Hope you stay tuned.
    John Redman
    JetCat USA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

John,

The flip side of the coin is that the specific information about the products being used is extremely helpful and beneficial. We spend a bunch of time on these threads just trying to find out exactly what materail or parts were used. Please continue providing the narrative as you have done I am sure many of us benefit from it.

Howard
    If you want to be politically correct, try lying.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I agree, Howard. One click and you can find out all the specifics of a certain item and if you want, buy it elsewhere.
    Russ

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

John just keep posting going to have to buy one put in the living room, very impressed with the plane and the build Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

John I like the links. Helps if you are looking for that equipment. Also there is a rumor that the p-51 150 is coming back for one more ship ment? is that true, if so is it the frankie one?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes, It is the Frankie version, HAN4050. Should be in stock very soon.
    John Redman
    JetCat USA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Okay more progress.

With the main landing gear installed it was time to mount the wheels and main gear doors. All of this comes supplied with the kit. The included wheels are rather nice rubber units with a plastic hub. Plastic hub caps are included as well but were not installed during this as I was fitting and such. They will be fitted later in the sequence. There are foam inserts inside the rubber tires to help prevent side load distortion and improve stance and ground handling. Another option is 5 inch tires from Robart. These will be shown later in the sequence as well.

pic #1 shows the two axles for the Robart retracts. One is stock and not cut and the other has been cut and has the flat spot ground for retention of the set screw.
    pic #2 shows the wheel being drilled out to accept the larger axle for the Robart retracts. Use a drill press for the best result.
    pic #3 shows the wheel installed onto the retract strut. The set screw is tightened (ensure you use blue threadlock) and ground off on the back side flush with the lower strut.
    pic #4 shows the wheel installed and the head of the axle on the inner side of the tire.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ig13172.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	1717556   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ql33887.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	1717557   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mr41467.jpg 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	1717558   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dx67737.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	1717559  
    John Redman
    JetCat USA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

With the tires installed, the next step was to install the main gear doors. These are painted plastic which is formed to the airfoil of the model when installed and fit nicely.

pics #1, #2, and #3 show the main strut with wheel from gear down transitioning to the gear up position. I have to say these electric retracts are SWEET!!!!
    pic #4 shows the beginning of installing the gear door. With the gear in the fully retracted position you will want to run a piece of low tack tape across the center line of the strut over the entire length and across the gear opening. This will become our reference line for screw placement.
    pic #5 shows laying the ruler over the tape and to identify the screw locations by a fine sharpie on the ruler. You will want to ensure the ruler extends beyond the wheel well for a reference point as shown in picture #6.
    pic #6 shows finding the starting point of the ruler and making a mark as a reference point. This way when you lay the ruler on the tape with the gear door in place you will know exactly where to put the marks for the holes on the gear door.

Name:	Xv63777.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	1717571   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ql34328.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	1717572   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gl18946.jpg 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	1717573   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fd91154.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	1717574   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lg16573.jpg 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	1717575  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ye84528.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	1717576  
    John Redman
    JetCat USA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Installing the main gear doors continued!!

pic#1 shows taping the main gear door in place.
    pics #2 and #3 show laying the ruler over the gear door using the tape as a reference.
    pic #4 shows me making the mark on the door where the holes will need to go for the screws that hold the door in place.
    pic #5 shows the door screwed in place on the strut. Note the nice fit to the wheel well and the flush fit to the wing skin.
    pics #6, #7, and #8 show the gear door on the strut with the strut traveling through it's motion.

The main gear door is done at this point. You may find the door does not sit flush at the leading edge of the wing. Do to tolerance variations in laser cutting and the fit of the parts in the gear mounts you may find the fit is not quite perfect. Some clear plastic spacers are included to help you shim the landing gear mounts to better position the doors to the skin. These are to be installed under the outboard mount bolts of the retracts. This will help to cant the gear struts deeper into the wing to ensure a tight fit of the gear doors.

Another option would be to heat the doors up with a heat gun and carefully roll them into a more rounded form to better have them fit at the leading edge. Once you have heated and remolded the plastic it should stay in place and hold its shape. This is what I did.

Name:	Ca82728.jpg 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	1717577   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ws56514.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	1717578   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gl19752.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	1717579   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oh13904.jpg 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	1717580   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jg13937.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	1717581  

Name:	Gc91051.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	1717582   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rw57788.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	1717583   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xr46381.jpg 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	1717584  
    John Redman
    JetCat USA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here is the main gear door closed and reformed to match the wing airfoil. The fit is nice and tight and looks very good.

Name:	Ki18130.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	1717590  
    John Redman
    JetCat USA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

John, Are you gonna fly this as an electric or just show the installation?

And I think you should link whatever you want! You started the thread!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looking good John I can't wait to see the rest of this build thread. Thanks for giving me the heads up to this thread. I will have to pass this on to other members in my club as we all could benefit from your expertise.

Thanks for everything!

John Fischer

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Okay guys, the next few post will walk you through adding some scale detail to the main gear doors. So time for some history on the P-47. Where most aircraft in WWII used the traditional Zinc Chromate Green primer in wheel wells, interior areas, etc, Republic did not. They used one of two colors. They used Zinc Chromate Yellow and then a Dark Green primer. Either would be correct. I did not have either in my shop and really did not want to go hunt any out in the stores. So I elected to use a more traditional Zinc Chromate Green color for the interior of the wheel wells and gear doors. Now another note is you cannot buy Zinc Chromate Green spray paint from Testors. You can buy the 1/2 ounce jars but I wasn't interested in brush painting the areas, or getting out the airbrush. I think for the most part guys are looking for an easy alternative that delivers great results.

Here is the solution. The color is Leafy Green and is available from Rustoleum Paint in a spray can. It is under the American Accents brand and I found it at Home Depot.

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=1

This is the link to the Rustoleum web site and the specific color number is 7934830 - Leafy Green.

Now from a historical standpoint this is not the correct color. But from a WWII standpoint it is probably acceptable and easy to find and use.

This color is very close to the tradition Zinc Chromate Green color and dries in no time.

Name:	Lj22961.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	142.4 KB 
ID:	1719296  
    John Redman
    JetCat USA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

With the landing gear fitted and the gear doors fit to the wing they definitely need some scale detailing to bring them to life. A warbird gets most of its looks sitting on the flight line. You want to be proud of your model and these few tips will help bring some life to it with about an hour of work. All details are from Plastruct and very low cost.

Here is a picture of the finished part to show you where we are going. Easily done, just follow the steps outlined here.

Name:	Gd93593.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	1719305  
    John Redman
    JetCat USA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Okay, time to start detailing!

pic #1 shows me compressing the main strut to see where the scissor link will end up. Make a mark with a pencil as well as a mark on each side of the strut leg.
    pic #2 shows the Plastruct parts used for the inner structure on the gear door. These are .060" x .100" plastic strips.
    http://www.horizonhobbytrains.com/pr...485-_-PLS90755

Before gluing anything to the gear door, I lightly sand with some 280 grit dry paper to take the sheen off the plastic.
    pic #3 shows the gear door with some Plastruct pieces glued in place. I use thin CA (pink ZAP) for all the plastic parts. I followed the outline from a few pictures in some of my P-47 books. Remember the intent here is to help enhance the scale appearance of the gear door. Although not exact scale, the end result will add some serious character to your model.

Also keep in mind you will need to maintain the curvature of the gear door during this process or the gear door will not fit correctly.

pic #4, #5, and #6 show the aft area being built up. You can see the upper piece being curved around the perimeter of the door edge. I glued the corner in place first and then bent the piece around and glued the other corner. Once complete I glued in the rest of the strip to the door.

Name:	Wt59300.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	1719357   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hc92982.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	1719358   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wb76887.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	1719359   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yw67715.jpg 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	1719360   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rm37667.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	1719361  

Name:	Hm24081.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	1719362  
    John Redman
    JetCat USA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Now you need to remove some of the wood in the gear wells. I removed a fair amount of the flange in the wheel wells so the new door parts would fit fine. I used a Dremel tool with a drum sander attachment. Robart sells a couple of attachments that are very nice. These carbide drum pieces are usable for years and never wear out. Just clean them occasionally with a wire brush and you are good to go for the next time.

Fine Carbide Drum Sander
    http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...4485-_-ROB459F
    Course Carbide Drum Sander
    http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...4485-_-ROB459C

pic #1, #2, #3, and #4 all show me grinding away the flange to leave about a 1/8 inch lip. Take your time and take off a bit at a time. I started with the course drum and finished with the fine drum. Once done I hit all the edges with some 280 dry paper by hand to remove any fuzz that might be left.

Name:	Yv65870.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	1719378   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wr54301.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	1719379   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Db85167.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	1719380   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xs57299.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	1719381  
    John Redman
    JetCat USA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Once you have that done you can use some low tack masking tape and some paper and mask off the entire wing in that area. We are going to repaint the wheel well so the colors all match.

pic #1 shows the area masked off with tape and paper.
    pic #2 shows the paint has been sprayed and is drying. Don't be shy and get all around in there.
    pic #3 shows the paper and tape removed. The area now looks very clean and professional. Ready to begin the reinstall of everything.

Once the wing is dry you will want to dry fit the gear door and make sure it fits well. If you ensured you made enough clearance it should drop right in place. If you look at the pictures, I ensured all the inner parts are at least 1/4" from the door edge, maybe more.

pic #4 shows us dry fitting the door in place to ensure it fits without catching.
    pic #5 shows the door bolted on the strut verifying all is good there as well.

Name:	Jh15140.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	1719382   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Up48248.jpg 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	1719383   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ej13354.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	1719384   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ec89053.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	1719385   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tr51407.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	1719386  

John Redman
    JetCat USA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Inner gear doors next?

Dash
    "When you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

AMA # 8870, Member since 1978.
    Waco Brotherhood # 219.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Now it is time for more structure inside the gear door.

pic #1 shows the structure on the upper part of the door. The Plastruct parts used are the same as used before. Note the differences in the sides. This is due to the Scissor operation. Make sure you fit and check clearance when installing the cross bracing.
    pic #2, #3, and #4 shows the plastic sheet used to cover the structure we built earlier on the lower level of the gear door. This uses a .010" sheet from Plastruct.
    http://www.horizonhobbytrains.com/pr...485-_-PLS91101

Once glued in place and trimmed the door should be complete. Dry fit once again and check fit to the main strut.

Name:	Qn38313.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	1719442   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hd94454.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	1719443   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Di11242.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	1719444   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rl26174.jpg 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	1719445  
    John Redman
    JetCat USA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

With the main gear door complete it is time to add some rivet detail. Now there are a million ways to add the rivet detail. I was not interested in working for long hours so I approached it in a simple easy mind set. Using Pacer's Formula 560 canopy glue I put it into a syringe with a 28 gauge needle. Now I am going to hunt these syringes and needles out for you tonight. I had them in my shop and cannot remember where I picked them up from. Check back soon for that information.

pic #1 shows the Pacer 560 canopy glue and the syringe and needle. Place a small amount in the syringe and of course purge the air out of the unit. Now with a very slight pressure you will get a small droplet of glue out the nozzle as shown.
    pic #2 and #3 show the rivets being applied. Very easy and if you make a mistake you just wipe it off. You can follow rivet patterns from books or just work some basic patterns yourself. Once the rivets are dry you can mask off the door for paint.
    pic #4 and #5 show the outer side of the door masked off for paint. Cover everything so you don't get any on the outside.

Name:	Ca82951.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	1719450   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wr55562.jpg 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	1719451   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jp32390.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	1719452   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ec88646.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	1719453   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bw72403.jpg 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	1719454  

John Redman
    JetCat USA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Once the door is completely masked off it is time to paint. Using your green paint we will spray the inner door.

pic #1 and #2 show the door painted green. Allow to dry.
    pic #3 shows the Testor's Dullcote used to flatten out and remove any shine from the green paint.
    http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...4485-_-TES1260

pic #4 shows the application of a few light coats for the desired effect.

Name:	Om34232.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	1719455   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ez81792.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	1719456   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vt58019.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	1719457   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cx74636.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	1719458  
    John Redman
    JetCat USA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

With the gear door and wheel well done it is coming together. Now we need to paint the strut and main hub of the wheel. On the P-47 the strut was painted aluminum and the wheels were silver. So we pull some Testor's Silver spray paint off the shelf and some masking tape and go to work.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...4485-_-TES1246

pic #1 shows the tape application to the wheels. Now my wheels were assembled and I did not want to take them apart. So pull the rubber back slightly and slip the tape down into the gap. Do this around the entire perimeter on both sides.
    pic #2 shows the main tire ready to paint.
    pic #3 shows the retract strut masked off and ready to paint. The entire unit is masked off and the chrome oleo leg is masked off. The struts are painted with a primer and are ready to accept paint.
    pic #4 shows the strut all painted silver
    pic #5 shows the main hub all painted silver.

You can now bolt the unit back in the wing and check teh operation. All should work nromal.

Name:	Wt59208.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	1719471   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oj26260.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	1719472   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tr50985.jpg 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	1719473   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xv63375.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	1719474   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jf11755.jpg 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	1719475  

John Redman
    JetCat USA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

One last note is I replaced the 4-40 socket head bolts from Robart for holding the gear door on with some 4-40 button head bolts. The desired effect when installed is much nicer.

I painted them silver as they were black to begin with. I did this by sticking them into a piece of balsa wood and then spraying with the silver paint.

Here is the link for the button head screws.
    http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...485-_-LOSA6229

Name:	Qo38926.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	1719479   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	To44710.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	1719480  
    John Redman
    JetCat USA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Dash, stay tuned. I have been looking at these and think they are very doable. Should know more soon.
    John Redman
    JetCat USA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

John,

Could you please inform the box size? I will be in US in a couple of months for a business trip and I will buy one but I need to know if the box is within the limits of airlines checked baggage.

Thanks

Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast