Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Hangar 9 30cc P-47 Build Thread

As you rivet you will find the correct amount of pressure and technique. It isn't hard and takes a little time but it is an instant gratification process. The best way is to lay tape and make marks for perfect placement. On this model I freehanded everything. I wanted to get done quickly and just add some life to the model. The choice is yours.

You will see in the pictures that there are different rivet patterns at different locations on the model. You can study books to determine how and where to apply and what size to use. This is one of the enjoyable processes of scale modeling. I truly enjoy reading books and studying pictures of the full scale aircraft I am modeling to see what I can do next.

Depending on what the surface is under you will determine how much pressure to apply and what to do.

On balsa and Ultracote a light press will do the job.

On fiberglass and Ultracote a firm press and sometimes a slight rotation will do the job.

On plastic and paint a firm press will do the job. No rotation is necessary.

On Fiberglass and paint a firm press and on occasion rotation will do the job.

Do as many rivets as you like. more or less it is your choice. You will find that a couple of hours a night will yield some incredible results.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Db84893.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	1744283   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gb89096.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	1744284   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Db85460.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	1744285   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lg16488.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	1744286   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jg14224.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	1744287  

John Redman
    JetCat USA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Most impressive Sir....when can your crate it up and have it my way?
    Dave Bottita
    evoJet Factory Pilot
    Smart-Fly

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey John,

That rivet trick is the “cat’s meow”, I have a couple of airframes that are in need of that very treatment.  I’m going to start with them so I’ll have it down pat by the time the P-47 gets here.

You have really made this aircraft come to life!  Thanks for showing us how easy it can be.  I’ll be waiting, with excitement, for your future posts.

Best Regards,
    Cris B.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Glad you guys are liking the build thread. Dave, the check ("P-47") is in the mail.

Anyways, here are the latest videos on the build, parts 6, 7, and 8.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/article/...underbolt-30cc

More to follow next week.
    John Redman
    JetCat USA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Video part 9 and 10 are up on the website. More to follow later this week or next week. A few more pictures to upload this week as well.

Model is ready for the maiden flight, looks like rain for us for the most part of this week, hopefully we will be able to get it doen before we leave for Toledo.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/article/...underbolt-30cc
    John Redman
    JetCat USA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Did the maiden on the P-47 today and she flew great. The electric retracts from Robart worked flawlessly.

I had both inner gear doors fail to close based on the clevis popping off the servo arm. I will change the clevis's out to Sullivan gold clevis's andttry again. Everything else was perfect.
    John Redman
    JetCat USA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

VERY COOL.IM ENJOYING THE BUILD HEAPS AND LEARNING LOTS

SHAYNE.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: John Redman

Did the maiden on the P-47 today and she flew great. The electric retracts from Robart worked flawlessly.

I had both inner gear doors fail to close based on the clevis popping off the servo arm. I will change the clevis's out to Sullivan gold clevis's andttry again. Everything else was perfect.
    Hi John!!
    I followed this thread sice the begining, watched all your videos ( my favorites was those with your dog )
    I really enjoyed the videos and I learned a couple of tricks.
    will you post a video with the plane in the air??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Still about 5 more videos to come. And the day at the field with the maiden will be its own.
    John Redman
    JetCat USA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey John,

Looking forward to the next video installments.

My dog Nix is captivated with Mia and won’t take his eyes off the screen during any segment she is in.

I’m sorry to hear about the minor glitch with the gear doors, if that was the only thing on your squawk sheet, than I would call it a good maiden flight! I hope the stronger clevises will cure the problem.

What are your impressions of the flying characteristics of the P-47? Is the Evolution 40GX fairly easy to dial in?

Best Regards,
    Cris B.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The other potential with the gear doors is if the gear are taking longer to retract due to air loads (very possible) the sequencing may be off a bit and the doors are trying to close a bit too soon causing the clevis to pop off. I had this happen when I set the plane up on the bench. My next outing will include extending the time between door close and retraction to ensure that isn't the case. If that doesn't fix it then I will change the clevis's.

The Evo 40 was an easy engine to dial in. I fired up and set the idle needle. Once that was set I just adjust the high end to where it needed to be. I am still a bit rich on the top end for break in, but will lean it out in a few more flights. The engine runs great. Power wise it seems good, not great but good. The plane doesn’t have the power my Robart P-47 has with the Evo 80 in it. That is a horse! This one is good.

I will say I love the way it flies!!!!
    John Redman
    JetCat USA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wow Great Thread

I just finished listening to the RCtoday show interview you did recently and i followed there links to this thread.

Thanks for the Candid interview it was refreshing to here some openess and hoesty.

I hope you do more with Chris Bobby and James, i really enjoy there show.

I am signed up to RCU and will follow this build with interest.

Thanks again

Ben

Scratch Built Depron Biplane, Park Zone Extra 300, BlueSkyRC FPV Spider Quad with Naza+GPS
    Savage XL

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Ben, welcome to the thread. Glad you liked the show. I had a great time with Chris, Bobby and James. I routinely don't sugar coat much and tell it like it is. Honesty tends to help things work out with intelligent people.

More videos will be coming. I was hoping to get another couple up this week but with the Toledo show, will probebly get them up next week.

Once again welcome and enjoy brother!!
    John Redman
    JetCat USA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Soon as I heard Desert Aircraft announcing the production of the DA-35 I thought of this plane!

Not sure how it would go mounting wise, but I'm sure it would be straight forward. Looking forward to a Hanger 9 P-47 and DA-35 combo!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

John - Once again, Horizon has come up with a really nice warbird. What can you tell us about the electric version? Will we get a peek at this plane at SEFF? Louie

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Isaw this beautiful bird in person last week in Toledo. Great build John, and Ithink Italked to you and didn't realize it was you until now going over this thread again. Thanks again for your advise at the show, and l am looking for ward to seeing the rest of the videos, as they have taught me many things and given me many great ideas for my own build.

Louis
    Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return - Leonardo da Vinci

The not so scale, almost ready to fly, soon to be scrap, Warbird Brotherhood #8

P-47 Thunderbolt Brotherhood #113

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I hope you guys don't mind if I post something here that is not the new 30 CC Hanger 9 P-47.

I was lucky enough to find one of the older Razor Backs late last year and have finally managed to put it in the Air. Its E-Flite 160 powered on a 10S battery config with a Castle Ice 80HV controller propeller is a Xoar 18X12 and with 6000 MAH batteries I get 8 minute flights with plenty of reserves (an 8 minute flight typically needs a 3500 mah charge. I can also stuff 2 of the newer 8000 mah 5 cell Nano tech batteries and fly longer. The plane is also equipped with a Benedini Sound system, all up wieght is 19 pounds 15 ounces.

Link to Video - Many thanks to John Laird of the AMPSin Phoenix for taking,editing and posting the video

http://www.movingmoment.net/Rick2.wmv

Hope you like it!

Cheers
    Rick,

Spitfire Brotherhood #188
    P-39 Brotherhood #25

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice video ! I am doing the same thing.

I have the old 150 sized P-51 with the E-160, APC 18x10 CC-HV110 on 10S5000 and it delivers 2500 watts on 16 Lbs for excellent performance.

I am now working on the old 150 size P-47 with the same power setup and will run it on 10S also. I talked to John and plan to use the new P-47 dummy engine part to make the front end look nice. You may want to check that out.

I look forward to seeing the new version P-47 on electric.

Louie

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Louie,

I was thinking of doing the same but Ibought the Chin "Splitter" and 8 inch 9 cylinder engine from Aerotech instead. They arrived over the weekend courtesy of the USPS. Looks like they will fit and I will be working on getting them into the cowl over the next week or so. I have an ESM Ki-84 Frank that has had the wing cutomized and is now glassed sanded and primed in the paint shop, I would like to get that one done then tackle the P-47's cowl.

I must admit I was surprised of the weight of mine I planned on it being in the 17 pound range, the first flight was with a 16X12 prop and 1800 or so Watts - It flew like a T-Bolt acceleration was only fast when it was pointed down! :-) The 18X12 gives me 2400 Watts or so and good flight times/Performance. If the new 30cc bird fly's like its older stablemate its going to be a winner for sure. Please let us know how the new front fits in the old cowl. The Aerotech enging and splitter look great, initial trials tell me I have some cutting in my future but it looks like its going to work and should look very nice.

Cheers
    Rick,

P-39 Brotherhood #25

Your E-powered P-47 flies great.... on such low power too, very nice

I ordered this new version back in Nov. and have been dieing to get mine. I have a new Hacker A 60-16L here with a 20X15 prop and a new set of 12s 65c 5000mah thunder power packs
    I'm planning to go really fast for 5 minutes it's going to be alot of fun

I have the Benedini sound system my GS P-51, it's the black and yellow checkered nose on Aerosounds home page.... I'm not sure were you have your speakers. But I messed with all kinds of ideas and found mounting the speakers in the bottom of the wing was best for a good loud sound. It uses the wing and a speaker box.

I'm not going to do a sound system on this one I just want to haul butt... I may add a lighting system just becuase I've alway wanted on and it will look cool
    Not worried about scale light positions just want them to look good.... I may even put the landing light right in the leading edge of the wing and leave it on all the time. That would look sweet

Here is a link to my P-51 with the sound system the video just went over 13000 views: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE-S4fUAgK4
    \"It\'\'\'\'s not personal, Sonny. It\'\'\'\'s strictly business.\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Ron, I checked out your video, that mustang is really nice.I put my speakers, 2 four inch, in the cowl much like Pete did with his Jug as shown on the Aerosound site, I agree that from a volume perspective the wings are most likely the best speaker location. I know that I can go 12S on the batteries with the Power 160 and have done so on another bird, what I wanted to do with this one was keep the prop noise down hence the 10S and relatively short propeller. I must say that the 2400 Watts is really more than enough to fly the plane scale the only thing you need to think about is mass management or perhaps better called momentum management. With the flaps all the way down this thing slows down fast and moving from a decelerating plane to one that is accelerating is not instant with my setup, so I need to keep that in mind. On the first flights I did a fair bit of stall training and unless you really horse the T-Bolt around the stalls are a none event, if you are high enough :-) I do have one question for the people out there reading this thread has anyone thought about wing bags for this plane or the new one. I have not installed the guns and pitot tube yet and am thinking that this plane deserves some nice wing bags!Cheers
    Rick,

P-39 Brotherhood #25

Thanks AZthud,
    I'd leave the 10s setup you have... that's a nice light setup and yours is flying great.
    I'm planning with my 12s to have several props... one to haul mail and be silly with and then a smaller prop with less pitch for scale duration flights

I'm with you on the wing bags.... I started a thread awhile back in Nov. when I ordered the plane, Ace Wing Carriers said that when I get mine to let him know the wing size and he would make military wing bags and prop covers !! they look so sweet I'm in forsure once I have mine

So I would contact him , here is the link to the military bags he makes... I love them!!

http://www.acewingcarrier.com/ace-mi...wing-bags.html

Thanks for sharing your video, can't wait to have mine
    \"It\'\'\'\'s not personal, Sonny. It\'\'\'\'s strictly business.\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Does anybody know if the new electric Robarts will fit in the old Razorback 150?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My understanding is that the new electric retracts share the same mechanics as the pneumatic. This way, pneumatic actuators can be swapped for electric ones without having to replace the gear itself. I expect the actuators to be comparable size-wise.
    Never underestimate the importance of altitude...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

@ CaptG: The new Robart retracts (either electric or pneumatic will take some modifications to fit the original model. The original model used 3.5 inch tires, the new one uses 5.125" tires and the strut length has changed slightly. So out of the box you will need to do some rework on the older variant to get things to work.

As stated the electric actuators will drop in to where the pneumatic actuators lived, so that is an easy swap. I do believe that Robart had a gear set for the original, but you would have to verify with Robart for sure.
    John Redman
    JetCat USA

Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast