Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: ESM Spitfire 72.5

ORIGINAL: Firepower R/C

Hombresinropa, did you get your DX-7 converted to DSMX? You might consider it, but it's not essential. it would be a little safer. A bigger battery wouldn't hurt as well- maybe a 2500-3000 Mah. This is a big plane and it will need some real juice. [X(]

I need to bring My ESM FW-190 to NC and tangle it up with you sometime this year! We just need to take care and not "Randy" our planes!

heh heh heh, inside joke... no offense, Randy!

I was reading up on that last night. the RX I have is DSMX compatible and I just need to do the transmitter. As for the Battery, my other planes have electric retracts, so I allocate 2 rx batteries out of habit... one for retracts, one for rx. Since this is going to need so much nose weight, I might just add both rx batteries in parallel, adding to the juice and adding some needed nose weight.

the FW-190 is awesome lookign as well, as is the P-47. I need more money.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tevan,

what are your thoughts on the way I have the single cable on the pull-pull, tightened with the servo screw? Do you think that's secure or would you recommend making 2 seperate cables? I saw some people do it this way on another RCU forum, but have ben told that it's not necessarily trustworty to keep one continuous cable for pull-pull. Just looking for a 2nd opinion.

Flycatch: Barstow, eh? Been through there a time or two. You must have quite a few nice places to fly, out in the desert. Ft. Irwin isn't a bad place if you have a hobby. NC has a lot of trees that give me nightmares of a lost, beloved park flyer...
    Fortune favors the bold.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey firepower do you have the air retracts or the new esm electric retracts.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have the last air retracts they had available... & I like 'em. If I were buying now, I would wait for the gen 2 electrics.
    Firepower R/C
    Saving un-loved R/C airplanes around the world

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I hope that someone with some extensive experience setting up pull-pull systems will chime in here, as both myself and my brother are setting up our first ones...

Anyone? What is a good overall method?
    Firepower R/C
    Saving un-loved R/C airplanes around the world

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hombre-

I'm by no means an expert on pull-pull setups. If a cable breaks it is not going to matter what setup you use. In my setups with pull-pull I try to limit any binding on the cables that will cause them to wear prematurely. They need to be checked after every flying session. I also do not feel that our fighters are developing the same levels of wear and stress as the 3D planes do but I still feel that developing as few places where wear can occur should be a primary consideration. I also use Kevlar on all of my elevators as they will not stretch with heat and time.

I don't think your setup will cause a problem but I would keep an eye on the area where the wire passes through the hole on the arm because that is an area that will be binding against a relatively sharp edge each time you move the servo.
    Nothing difficult is ever easy.
    Spitfire Brotherhood #44

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi
    I have a little experience with pull-pull it is a good idea not to put your wire through the control horn at all. Dubro have a product that allows the use of a clevis with a short threaded section with a hole through it for the wire. This system allows easy cable tension adjustment and no wear on the cable at all!! I also raid the local fishing shop for plastic coated steel trace and swages you can buy this with very high breaking strain ratings. These systems need to be checked often for tension as temp can affect them a bit!

Chris

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm building the 72.5 Spitfire also. I used the Dynamic Balsa cokpit also and cut it off so I didn't have to re do the pull-pull cables. Did you take any pictures of the installation? I was going to leave off the sides since you can't see them. Jus wondering if you put them in?

I am waiting to see if Robart will have some electric retracts that will fit. I was wondering if anyone knows what size might work?

I have a DLE 30 for mine and am trying my hand at weathering. So far it looks pretty good. Will try and post some pictures soon.

Hal

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I too have the 72.5 ESM Spit coming. I have to wait till end of Febthough.Living in Canada, I was able to preorder one through KMP ( Kondor ), the price is now par with the USA and shipping for me will 1/3 of what it would cost to truck one fromthe USA.

I have a new DEL30V2 and a near new 120 Saito. i would like to use the gasser but also don't want to cut too much out of the cowl. I suspect the Saito will be alot better fit? Don't like the high cost of nitro though, we pay 35$ a gal whereI live.

H.Dale, have you fitted your DLE yet? Any pics? Using a wrap-around muffer? Bisson or J-Tech?
    Anyone know which muffler is the smaller and would fit better?

Looking forward to getting my next "Fix " when the plane shows up. I too have the addiction.

Keep the up the info flow everyone. We all learn from each other.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well I have the little smaler and cheaper CMP 71in Spitfire. I have to say its my fav of my war birds thus far. Just dont go to slow on thelanding turn. But I almost lands by it self.

It started with a os 120 2c with a 16X8 it was fast but not what I liked.

I put a DLE 30cc with stock muffler, with the DLE I was able to take a little of the led of the nose,

The DLE 30 was the ticket!
    Think about it most compair a DLE 20 to the OS 1.20 2c

My DLE 30 v2 is spinning a Xora 18X10 wood prop at 7200 rpms wich gives you a prop speed around 70mph. That dose not sound fast but it is really fast in person and sounds great doing the low fly buys. It has unlimited vertical, and will take off in 20feet if you want.

Also you can get a single bolt adaper for the DLE30 and I put a 17X12 APC prop and it gave me around 7800rpm with a air speed of 90mph.

Even with the smaller CMP the DLE 30cc fits very nicely only a hole on the bottom for airflow.

With your I would put a DLE 55 and run a sweet 18X14 prop at 8000rpm! At a 106mph! This set up will make around 24pounds of thrust and crazy speed for your spitfire. I belive the DLE 55 is less than a pound diff than the 30. Just move your reciver pack back a little and your good to go.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: H.Dale

I'm building the 72.5 Spitfire also. I used the Dynamic Balsa cokpit also and cut it off so I didn't have to re do the pull-pull cables. Did you take any pictures of the installation? I was going to leave off the sides since you can't see them. Jus wondering if you put them in?

Hal
    Hal-

I did put the sides in. They are cut off right below the unit that houses the throttle. The round yoke is just about on the cockpit floor. I used most of the instrument panel. You will have to cut alot off the bottom to accomodate the pull-pull systems but you are not giving up much unless you decide on a sliding canopy.
    Nothing difficult is ever easy.
    Spitfire Brotherhood #44

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mine flies great on a Saito 1.80 but I will caution you on one thing, DO NOT go by the CG as recommended by ESM! It is dead wrong and I use the word DEAD emphatically. I was the proud owner of a gorgeous ESM P-51B that I decked out but I opted for the CG per the instructions, it flew one time. I have since owned/own three other ESM warbirds and I re-calc'd the CG on each one. The old adage is true "Nose heavy will fly more than once, tail heavy won't". I also opted not to use pull-pull on the rudder and elevator and went with carbon fibre rods instead. Good Luck with yours!

Happy Flying!

Loopman

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Based on the input from all of you fine gents, I'm definitely going to redo the pull pull. I ordered the .91 and up Dubro pull-pull system for the tail control surfaces. I should get it in a day or two. Busy work week, but there will be some more updates this weekend and I'm playing hookey from work next week, so I'll be looking forward to the maiden! OS1.20 AX is already broken in, so after another two days or so of fiddling around with it, it should be in the air. I may go by myself to maiden it, but if there are other guys at the field, I'll try and get a video.

I'm also going to get a quick disconnect and mount the air tank on the wings like tevan has, and perhaps I'll move the whole servo/valve setup to the wings as well. There's no practical place in the fuse for the air tank, although if I try and center it below the fuel tank, that might help minimize the lead I have to put in the front end. With you guys needing between 1-2 pound of lead anyway, it may not be worth it to save a couple ounces of air tank weight.

Fortune favors the bold.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Also, looks like replacement cowls and canopies are readily available online. After the maiden, cockpit kit is going in next, probably with a pilot. I've been itching to get a DLE engine, thanks RICH. I may give that a whirl once I get a few more bucks to "invest" in the hobby. Had a conversation about OS/DLE/ASP engines with Firepower the other day. DLE is definitely in the future for either this, my VQP40, or my TFP51. Got some thunder tigers for the ASM B17 I'm working on, but saitos probably lie in its future as well. Thought about electric conversion, but with planes this size, it feels sacreligious.

And as long as I'm talking about add-ons, after I build my bomb drops for my Deuce (look for that thread someday), Rich, we might have to work on making an RCbuzz bomb to chase around, eh???

Fortune favors the bold.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Like this one!?!

http://www.kamodels.com/jets.htm

Casey
    Fliteskin, Sierra, Nelson Hobby, MICKO aircraft, Getstencils, Holman Plans, VicRC, Castle Creations, Addicted to Luft, BestPilots.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well I just pulled the plug and ordered the P-47 silver version and the electric retracts that go with it. I was also looking at the build thread here and on rcgroups and theres not much so I may start a new one for mine. Im definetly keeping up with the spitfire build here as well. Im going to go with a DLE 30 that I already have, from what I can tell it should fit inside the cowl with no problems. Hey Hombresinropa if our ever up my way we should get together and fly our birds together, thats an open invite to our field sometime.

JK

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That sounds awesome, the same offoer stands here as well. I fly at a grass field near my house, but up in Rolesville (about 45-60 minutes north of me) is RDRC club, which is an awesome joint. Concrete runway and always lots of people. They even have real-time weather, windspeed, and webcams that they constantly broadcast on their website. It's a great place to go when you're planning an entire day of flying. I plan on maidening my B-17 there later on, and the Spitfire will make it there next week, after I maiden it by my house.

I'm always looking for a new place to fly, what's the name of your club?

Also, thanks to you guys for the CG advice. I've fallen victim to incorrect, tail-heavy CG before. That plane also flew... once. I'm not so sure I'd call it flying as much as I'd call it... hurling? Flipping? Having a seizure? I have a youtube vid of it if you look my handle up on there.

Spitfire's going to get a lot of attention this weekend. Today I was thinking about it and getting quite a few ideas about modifications and the buzz bomb idea. It would be too sweet to fly around the field simultaneously with that RCBuzzBomb and get a good video.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi, I am also building the ESM Spitfire with a OS-200 FS. It´s a verygood lookingplane, but a bit tricky to build. Nice work you have done on yours, I`m looking forward to your next post.
    If you would like to see my build you can do so here amfk2006.editboard.com/t393-esm-spitfire. It´s in Swedish, but a lot of pictures.

/Emil
    Spitfire brotherhood #164

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Emil, looks great. How did you guys make your holes in the cowl? I'm using a dremel... do you have a better technique?
    I redid the pull-pull, check it out. I'm much happier with it now. I drilled the servo arm holes out to reduce friction, now I have no servo load "buzz" in the middle of servo travel, even with relatively high tension on the cables.
    Basic stuff, I know.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

New DuBro heavy duty pull pull setup. Plane on the rack in the house just for fun. More "look at it" disease, I suppose.

*** EDIT: For some reason upload isn't working right now. I'll have to post the pics later. I'll edit them into this post.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jg14287.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	1716743   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aw70631.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	1716744  
    Fortune favors the bold.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I will redo my pull-pull also using Dubro. I dont trust the stuff that came with the model and I think it´s to difficult to adjust.

When I'm cutting a cowl I use a carbide wheel and a sanding drum (Hope it´s called that in english). Works great!

Spitfire brotherhood #164

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am going to put a 30cc DLE on my 72.5 Spitfire. I was wondering how to cool it. Does anyone have any pictures of how they cut the cowl to provide proper ventilation?

Thanks for any help.

Hal

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yup, I use the same stuff... works pretty good. Lexan scissors work pretty well too, and cuts down on the amount of dust I have everywhere. I definitely need to get a new respirator though, just broke the bands on mine today while finishing the cowl holes. Now I just need to get some paint to touch up the nicks and scratches I put in it. I'll probably take the cowl in to the hobby shop tomorrow and get the paint, since I'm ditching work for the next week.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dale, I don't think you can get better than the way that tevan cut his cowl. How do you have the motor mounted? Make sure you put a good sized exit hole. Firepower R/C tells me that the rule of thumb is an exit hole 1.5 times the size of yoru entrance hole, which will be right in front of your cylinder head. If you can make it all fit in the cowl without cutting, position your holes just in front of the head and I'd recommend your exit hole where Tevan has his, by his muffler pipes. It took me a lot of installing/deinstalling the cowl and making marks with a sharpie marker to get the holes dialed in. I also took my cylinder head off and traced it on the cowl, centering it on the marks I made inside the cowl while test-fitting. Then I enlarged the hole enought to make installation of the cowl possible without taking the head, muffler, or glow plug off. It worked out pretty well, although I plan on getting either a new muffler or a new engine someday, which will need a new cowl. I might go to a larger engine, since I just added2 pounds of nose weight to the plane and it still is tail heavy at 110 mm CG. I spent the afternoon looking for heavy things to zip tie in, since the hobby shop is closed today. I'll have to buy some more lead tomorrow. I have 2x reciever batteries in parallel on the engine mount, in addition to a ton of lead, and I still need more weight. That OS 120 is a lot lighter than I originally thought.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Got a 16 x 8 Prop for the OS 1.20 today.  Anyone had good luck with this setup?  I'm sticking with the 1.20 for now.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast